Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 06:06   #46
BHPian

The rims look good ,are these the original army ones or are they aftermarket? where can one possibly source them from.
Old 7th August 2008, 06:47   #47
Senior - BHPian

The tyres do not do justice to that jeep!, IMO
Old 7th August 2008, 07:12   #48
rippergeo

Guys, whats the function of the bullbar kind of extension fitted at the back? and what about all the chains hanging off it? wont they create a racket?

Old 7th August 2008, 07:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

The racket they create should be nothing compared to the racket the engine creates

Looks like a bar for show only as it is not connected to the chassis for any load bearing. It will break on impact and destroy the body work too.
Old 7th August 2008, 09:03   #50
BHPian

@sree: Congratulations on getting such a fine jeep. I would like to see it once you take delivery. Close the deal ASAP, everything else can wait

@SirAlec, thats a nice 550 your friend has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Guys, whats the function of the bullbar kind of extension fitted at the back? and what about all the chains hanging off it? wont they create a racket?
That is actually a basket kind of thing. I went to see this low-bonnet cj3a jeep that was for sale about a year ago and it had this accessory. The owner told me that when these jeeps were used for hunting, this basket was used for carrying animals that were hunted. When not in use, it can be retracted. Also, those are not chains but a plastic wires that form a net.
Attached Thumbnails
1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joins Team-Bhp Family-dsc_0002_resized.jpg  

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 7th August 2008 at 09:10.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
The rims look good ,are these the original army ones or are they aftermarket? where can one possibly source them from.
these are original army ones. Even in kabadi, 2nd hand fetches lot of money here, around 2700 per piece.

Well about the tyres, its a very practical tyre, so for him looks comes later.

Well he is planning to change the engine to isuzu. As this mahindra motor is giving lot of trouble like heating. He may loose the 4x4 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
If you look at it closely, it has screw lock kind of things, so that pipe bar protudes outside and can be fasten with the given screw, the net becomes, luggaage carier.

Last edited by SirAlec : 7th August 2008 at 14:45.
Old 7th August 2008, 14:52   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post

If you look at it closely, it has screw lock kind of things, so that pipe bar protudes outside and can be fasten with the given screw, the net becomes, luggaage carier.
depending on the strength of the pipe and the net, it can also be used as a fixed hammock .
Old 8th August 2008, 00:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Sir Alec, thats one nice looking Ex Army jeep. loved the matt finish.
Old 14th August 2008, 19:42   #54
BHPian

Update : 1998 MM550 XDB 4WD Joined Team-Bhp Family - Got her Today

Finally I got her today cheers:. Was actually planning to get her on last Monday, but did not happen due to some personnel reasons. Drove her from ragarajeshwari nagar to indira nagar in heavy Bangalore traffic, and drove her down to office as well, it was a real pleasure driving her! I could feel the RAW power of XD3P. Surprisingly it was much refined compared to other Jeeps. Now guys, I don’t even know how to lock the hubs , I hope it’s in correct position. Will upload some under chassis, Under Hood and interior pictures whenever I get some time. First thing I would do is change engine oil and differential oil. I was tend to change it to second gear where ever there was a traffic slow down, and I noticed that it really not required to go to second gear, and managed with 3rd gear almost every time, yeah I need to change my car driving habits. Gear shifting is buttery smooth, but I need to stretch a little to engage the first gear. Will think about a bended gear lever after some time.

Happy Jeeping
Sreeraj
Old 26th August 2008, 10:44   #55

MM550 XD at chennai

Hi,

The other day i had been to chennai searching for 550xdb , but found 550 xd scrap condition at the scrap market near, mount road , DB road, LIC building. the asking price was 180000, he came down to 160000. but the condition was really bad good for a price of 50k to 60k . dow any body know any XDB vehicles . we travelled a lot in search for 550 XDB 4wd. hopw somebody can help . (i could now click pics as we were depressed seeing the condition as we travelled from Goa and kerala for this Total scrap)
Old 26th August 2008, 12:31   #56
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, i know the 550 you are talking about!! But the seller may not budge on the price much!
Old 27th August 2008, 21:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemac View Post
Hi,

The other day i had been to chennai searching for 550xdb , but found 550 xd scrap condition at the scrap market near, mount road , DB road, LIC building. the asking price was 180000, he came down to 160000. but the condition was really bad good for a price of 50k to 60k . dow any body know any XDB vehicles . we travelled a lot in search for 550 XDB 4wd. hopw somebody can help . (i could now click pics as we were depressed seeing the condition as we travelled from Goa and kerala for this Total scrap)
How can it be so costly? In other threads I read that such kind of jeeps from scrap market costs somewhere around 50K-75K, depending on MFG. year & condition of vehicle, that too with all the mechanicals like 4wd with T'case intact.

From Goa to Kerala, then too no luck in finding a good condition 550 XDB. Thats really scary. Mahindra should consider bringing the Legend (Civil 550 XDB) into full capacity production.
(Anyhow once the Army completely replaces MM550 with Strikers (Boleros) And the AXE as their combat vehicles, what would Mahindra do with the assembly lines of MM550 XDB?)

Start Dreaming then
Old 27th August 2008, 23:11   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
(Anyhow once the Army completely replaces MM550 with Strikers (Boleros) And the AXE as their combat vehicles, what would Mahindra do with the assembly lines of MM550 XDB?)

Start Dreaming then
Same thing they did with the assembly lines for the SWB Jeeps and the Mahindra Armada and the Mahindra Classic after they stopped selling them.
Old 29th August 2008, 20:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Same thing they did with the assembly lines for the SWB Jeeps and the Mahindra Armada and the Mahindra Classic after they stopped selling them.
I think the Armada setup is converted into Bolero, right?
Feel bad about Classic & MM550s.
Old 1st September 2008, 22:18   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
How can it be so costly? In other threads I read that such kind of jeeps from scrap market costs somewhere around 50K-75K, depending on MFG. year & condition of vehicle, that too with all the mechanicals like 4wd with T'case intact.

From Goa to Kerala, then too no luck in finding a good condition 550 XDB. Thats really scary. Mahindra should consider bringing the Legend (Civil 550 XDB) into full capacity production.

Start Dreaming then
yes infact it was really shocking, to see those prices. in fact my bro has got a XDB with fibre body which cost him only 90k (2wd) we were really socked. we are waiting to hit unto good peices. one more thing the bugger at the scrap market showed me a receip of a jeep that he sold earlier hes sold it for 150000. can you believe that >

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks