Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
How about a simple thread titled "How to assess the condition of a used 4x4 before buying it" Mr. Dhabhar you could start with your inputs and it will build as we go along. Unless someone's done this already

Perfect idea and i dont think anybody has done and even if someone has done it.

It cant be compared to the knowledge and experience of Mr Dhabhar.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2008 at 15:57.
Parm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:43   #63
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Coupled with the vehicle assessment thread we could further update a thread I had started sometime back on useful tips while offroading

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...f-roading.html

I'm sure the masters at TBHP can add tons more

Last edited by DKG : 22nd August 2008 at 12:44.
Old 23rd August 2008, 08:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
May I request you all to put on your thinking caps and do something so that the guys at least on the forum to start with do not land into undesireable situations and end up buying crap vehicles. Just a thought. Perhaps a separate thread? How do we progress this?

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hey Mr. Dhabhar, thats a great idea, it will be a great help for people like me who are novice in assessing these vehicles. I have been looking around for a JEEP and have not found one till now. Your tips and suggestion would be most appreciated in this regards.
Old 26th August 2008, 20:30   #65
BHPian

hi guys, since this thread is all about jeeps( modified in dabwali, moga ), i would like you to help me out. My friend needs to buy a jeep ( 2nd hand) and get it modified to a diesel. His budget is of 2 Lakhs. He does not want a purely show-off jeep but wants 4x4,powerful engine with economical running.Should he visit these towns or try Mayapuri in Delhi( he also stays in Delhi).
What should be the ideal specifications for such a jeep.He is not into
offroading but shares the sentiment that- a jeep is useless without 4x4
Please help.
Old 26th August 2008, 22:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
My friend needs to buy a jeep ( 2nd hand) and get it modified to a diesel. His budget is of 2 Lakhs. He does not want a purely show-off jeep but wants 4x4,powerful engine with economical running.
What should be the ideal specifications for such a jeep.He is not into
offroading but shares the sentiment that- a jeep is useless without 4x4
Please help.

If he is not into offroading then I guess it makes sense from this place. But as far as I have understood a jeep from this place with a 4x4 will also be of no use. Dabwali jeeps are show off jeeps. If he is not into offroading, I dont see a reason to have the 4x4 just because it is a "jeep". But at the same time I dont see a reason to buy a jeep .
Old 26th August 2008, 23:34   #67
BHPian

why dabwali jeeps don't have 4*4

Hey guys

On my friends recent trip to dabwali, he made me understand how things work there.
What happens is that mechanics prepare the jeep. They purchase everything, each part, assemble the jeep and then bring it to the dealer who sells it off at a commission of 2grand, or so they say. Ask the dealer a question abut the jeep and he'll be clueless. He'll have the mechanic who built the jeep at your disposal and you'll have to ask him.
Since the engine is the first thing that is changed, that is 1 reason why the 4*4 goes off. Also, the putting in the drive would mean, sourcing the parts, changes, more effort which would take the cost of the jeep higher. With very little demand for this drive, taking out the 4*4 for the mechanics makes more sense. Personally I think

If you're looking for a 4*4, a trip to dabwali would not help, Mayapuri or classifieds would be your best bet. Unless you plan to get it made through a mechanic there with a specific list of requirements and money to be paid upfront (some of it) and have the time to make repeated trips. (ask the locals about reputation of a mechanic, then it's not a bad place to get a bling jeep with some good stuff under the hood.
Hope this helps
Cheers!
M2S
Old 27th August 2008, 00:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Hey guys

On my friends recent trip to dabwali, he made me understand how things work there.
What happens is that mechanics prepare the jeep. They purchase everything, each part, assemble the jeep and then bring it to the dealer who sells it off at a commission of 2grand, or so they say. Ask the dealer a question abut the jeep and he'll be clueless. He'll have the mechanic who built the jeep at your disposal and you'll have to ask him.
Since the engine is the first thing that is changed, that is 1 reason why the 4*4 goes off. Also, the putting in the drive would mean, sourcing the parts, changes, more effort which would take the cost of the jeep higher. With very little demand for this drive, taking out the 4*4 for the mechanics makes more sense. Personally I think

If you're looking for a 4*4, a trip to dabwali would not help, Mayapuri or classifieds would be your best bet. Unless you plan to get it made through a mechanic there with a specific list of requirements and money to be paid upfront (some of it) and have the time to make repeated trips. (ask the locals about reputation of a mechanic, then it's not a bad place to get a bling jeep with some good stuff under the hood.
Hope this helps
Cheers!
M2S
Mr Married and all other Fellow jeepers, Dabwali was never recomended for 4x4 Jeeps its just for the Tashan Stuff and that also would a market in punjab and haryana with all those weird ford and Jatt and stuff stickers.

For 4x4 the best place is pathankot i think cause you can pick a disposal jeep and also the good old Mayapuri.
Old 31st August 2008, 19:38   #69
BHPian

@ married2speed, senindra, desideep
Thanks a lot for your advice, i shall convey the same to my friend.
I shall tell him to go to mayapuri and then survey and search.
I shall keep you all posted on further developments.
Old 8th November 2008, 19:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a similar looking jeep outside my college today....
Attached Thumbnails
Dabwali Jeeps-dsc00598.jpg  

Old 8th November 2008, 21:42   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Spotted a similar looking jeep outside my college today....
This looks like over done for a classic era Jeep like Willys (IMO).
But must be a puller for college guys & gals.
Old 9th November 2008, 12:16   #72
BHPian

Well restored Jeep. Very much impressed by the work done.
Old 10th November 2008, 01:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
Well restored Jeep. Very much impressed by the work done.
aamir saab, this is NOT a restored jeep, its a copy!

there are plenty of these in punjab, used by college crowd to show off, no real 4x4 stuff!
Old 10th November 2008, 09:39   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
This looks like over done for a classic era Jeep like Willys (IMO).
But must be a puller for college guys & gals.
Typical Dabwali specimen! Still better, the steering looks like a Mahindra; before this whatever Dabwali stuffs I saw, had steerings of Maruti Zen and similar ones.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

these jeeps look good on road only, if you took them off road, they will just break up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks