Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2010, 22:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Thanks Jaggu. Well i did call him last night. Its an ex-army alright. Done up at MUL (or at least the parts are original and bought from MUL). He doesnt have time to drive it as much since he travels so is selling. Done 7000kms post restoration.

I dropped an email/PM to Vikram headers) but havent heard back from him. Hope he responds and agrees to do a look up for me.

There are a few more like a 2006 MPFI on the classifieds but asking price is 4.5lacs which is way to high for my budget. And i'm sure he wont like me paying in EMI's!

Not sure where else to look. Any ideas?
I'm getting more calls from the seller in chennai than i made so far to hunt from the gypsy myself. He seems very eager to close this deal tomorrow!

Will an army-restored mpfi be reliable enough for a raid? I can of course get it and then take help from someone like alan (xtreme power) or desmo in bombay to do it up. But for 2.9lacs, an ex-army mpfi?

I've failed to get any response from vikram so far tho i see him active on the Thar thread. :( Wish GTO or Khan would help somehow.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 27th February 2010 at 22:51.
Old 28th February 2010, 22:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised that on a forum like this, there isnt a single gypsy owner from chennai who can help! :(
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nilesh,

Sorry to dissappoint you but i am no expert. I just got my MPFI but yes, Allan is definitely an expert and so are Tejas, Devang, Rossi, Kaushik who have worked on their vehicles. They can guide you very well.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Nilesh,

Sorry to dissappoint you but i am no expert. I just got my MPFI but yes, Allan is definitely an expert and so are Tejas, Devang, Rossi, Kaushik who have worked on their vehicles. They can guide you very well.
Desmo,
Nilesh wants one at Chennai to check the Gypsy that he has shortlisted.
He has tried contacting Headers. I guess, Headers is busy.
Maybe you can try to check with BlueThunder or maybe look out for Chennai OTR Threads and try to see if you can get in touch with one of them.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Desmo,
Nilesh wants one at Chennai to check the Gypsy that he has shortlisted.
He has tried contacting Headers. I guess, Headers is busy.
Maybe you can try to check with BlueThunder or maybe look out for Chennai OTR Threads and try to see if you can get in touch with one of them.
Cheers,
Deepak
Thx Deepak! Sent a PM to Arka (ex670c) and got a response back. Will talk to him today. I made my dad go look at it! He has no clue about 4 wheels except sitting at the back! But he did go check it out the best he could. Hope with Arka's help, i will be able to get some serious eyes on it.

@Raj - You sure are an expert as far as i stand. Anyone who has gone thru the grind knows enough to spot a lemon from a good vehicle! Thanks for the help you are providing!
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:38   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post

Will an army-restored mpfi be reliable enough for a raid? I can of course get it and then take help from someone like alan (xtreme power) or desmo in bombay to do it up. But for 2.9lacs, an ex-army mpfi? ...
Which category? Adventure or extreme? I have heard that even the Gypsies of professional folks who spend a lot on mods, break down and the OE ones are the most reliable.

I would say that ~2-2.25L would be a fair price IF this has been done with OE parts and is in good condition.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Which category? Adventure or extreme? I have heard that even the Gypsies of professional folks who spend a lot on mods, break down and the OE ones are the most reliable.

I would say that ~2-2.25L would be a fair price IF this has been done with OE parts and is in good condition.
Thanks Khan bhai. Adventure to start with. I understand that prepped ones break down too but i just want to ensure i dont buy something that only increases the probability of a breakdown. Then again, i know lots of folks usually restore ex-army vehicles and do the raids.

This one is an mpfi that he has restored. I've read many examples of carb ones being restored on the forum. The seller states its done 22kms when he bought it from some Colnel in chennai and then on 7k. Though the odo says around 7k and not 29k!

Also, he says he hasnt paid the lifetime tax. And wont get me the NOC but will only put me in touch with some agent. I'm not sure if that makes sense given that i stay in pune and the vehicle is from Chennai. Further, it does not have the spare wheel! All this info after i made my dad go look it up. I atleast read up the forum, he doesnt even do that. But he helped as much as he could. I want to leave at least 50k in my pocket just in case things go wrong with the purchase i make.

Here is the ad from the classifieds -- Team-BHP Classifieds - Gypsy king mpfi - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 2nd March 2010 at 11:52.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:55   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nilesh: Short answer: STAY AWAY from this one. Looks for other vehicles and don't rush in.
Old 2nd March 2010, 13:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Nilesh: Short answer: STAY AWAY from this one. Looks for other vehicles and don't rush in.
Thanks! So this case is closed and the hunt goes on.
Old 2nd March 2010, 14:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Ummm... Why do you say so? I've bought my MPFI King for 1.8L (a UP Police disposal one) and will be spending another 1.5L on it, totaling to 3.3L. You mean to say, that if I decide to sell it will depreciate so much :-(

\N
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Ummm... Why do you say so? I've bought my MPFI King for 1.8L (a UP Police disposal one) and will be spending another 1.5L on it, totaling to 3.3L. You mean to say, that if I decide to sell it will depreciate so much :-(

\N
No sirji, this gypsy is a carb one, converted into mpfi, that's why i said this price. This is NOT a 2002 model Gypsy. Must be some 97/98 model carb one. So, I think 2.25 is a fair price for that.

A 2002 mpfi (genuine, not converted) should easily fetch ~2.75-3.00L in today's market condition. Infact, good 4x4 jeeps & Gypsy's are among the the only few daily drive vehicles which are appreciating in value
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:30   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovergen View Post
Heard there are around 240 Police vechiles for auction at hyderabad , and in the lot there are more than 60+ gypsy's . any info from hyderabad gurus .
I bought one such gypsy in 2004 for 50 K and it did serve well sold for 70 after an year . any news would be apreciated .
I learnt that there is auction, and no gypsies in it, only Commanders, Bikes, Eichers, etc.

I got this info from RI of Police dept. Not sure how far your information is right. I can recheck based on your source of info.

Thanks,
Naveen.KK
Old 2nd March 2010, 16:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
No sirji, this gypsy is a carb one, converted into mpfi, that's why i said this price. This is NOT a 2002 model Gypsy. Must be some 97/98 model carb one. So, I think 2.25 is a fair price for that.

A 2002 mpfi (genuine, not converted) should easily fetch ~2.75-3.00L in today's market condition. Infact, good 4x4 jeeps & Gypsy's are among the the only few daily drive vehicles which are appreciating in value
Thanks man :-) Your earlier post had me worried :-))

\N
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:04   #44
Team-BHP Support

Don't touch the vehicle unless papers are clear and the seller commits to doing the needful for things like NOC. Till then a token advance should be paid in such cases.
Old 2nd March 2010, 17:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Don't touch the vehicle unless papers are clear and the seller commits to doing the needful for things like NOC. Till then a token advance should be paid in such cases.
I know! Its the NOC part which really made me think. Plus the price for the restored one is so close to Danish's single-owner 2004 mpfi that its worthwhile to go all the way to allahbad and drive it back!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks