Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 09:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Dear all - why all the speculation? I just asked a simple question.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thread by you ,and Dr Goenka saying M&M will launch three new vehicles next year, can not rule out 540/550 coming back or at least something of that kind.May be a fourth vehicle that he forgot to count[mention].
Old 5th December 2008, 09:43   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When a certain Behram Dhabhar whips out the notebook and asks "Ok, whaddaya want in a MM540-4WD?", we can think of only one thing.

It is early December and Santa Clause is here to note down our wishlist!

Who knows what we'll see on Christmas eve.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2008, 10:25   #33
BHPian

hi
i would basically want slightly more top end,and how about limited slip diff, or maybe handbrakes that really work. i would also like better brakes I i have a XDP with power disc brakes), but i need better braking, and for gods sake keep it basic, and try and improve NVH, and handling if possible.

but then whatever you do RELAUNCH THE 550 AGAIN
Old 5th December 2008, 11:09   #34
BHPian

Dhabhar.Behram, I guess Team has come up with many new ideas but I guess independent suspection were missed out.
Old 5th December 2008, 11:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@ DD, you are a naughty old man:

Ok, here my wish list

1. A built in GPS - basic nothing complicated
2. Front and Rear Full Diff Locks - No free wheel hubs etc. One should not get out of the vehicle to change from 2wd to 4wd etc.
3. Any CRDe [preferably the 2.2] with full synchormesh 5 speed gearbox and 4wd with 2 speed transfer case. Even a close ratio six speed is fine. [Whisper whisper .. the scorpio automatic has a six speed auto box right?]
4. Inbuilt six point roll cage and seat belts for all passengers!
5. Adjustable Shock Absorber settings to set the ride to smooth or hard! A closed loop hydraulic system is great!
6. The ability to do 140 kph as well as crawl down a 70 degree incline with engine braking.
7. Adjustable headlamps for specific spread [width] adjustment especially for low beam for OTR uses.
8. I'm fine with Leaf spring setup if we can get point 5. Leaf spring makes the construction simple, withstands more abuse and keeps the costs down!
9. PS, AC, TC, EBD all can be given as options. I wonder what TC will do if two wheels are up in the air though!
10. Ability to ford upto 3 feet of water.
11. Front and rear Hooks and a 12000 pound winch [optional]
12. Mandatory tow cables along with the tool kits.
13. Good NVH - One should not hear the engine noise unless revved above 3000 or 4000 rpm
14. Maybe a Music System [7 speaker], Fridge, etc etc as options for the feathered kind!
15. Good AT tyres to complement this dream vehicle

Ok Dhabar Behram, now when is this dream vehicle due?

Ofcourse, lastly, the same 540/550 body shell with a hardtop convertible option which flicks down at the touch of a switch! and becomes a macho open jeep!

Woohoo! that is a long list. Why dont you take the Mahindra AXE instead!
Old 5th December 2008, 12:23   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Ok, here my wish list

1. A built in GPS - basic nothing complicated
2. Front and Rear Full Diff Locks - No free wheel hubs etc. One should not get out of the vehicle to change from 2wd to 4wd etc.
3. Any CRDe [preferably the 2.2] with full synchormesh 5 speed gearbox and 4wd with 2 speed transfer case. Even a close ratio six speed is fine. [Whisper whisper .. the scorpio automatic has a six speed auto box right?]
4. Inbuilt six point roll cage and seat belts for all passengers!
5. Adjustable Shock Absorber settings to set the ride to smooth or hard! A closed loop hydraulic system is great!
6. The ability to do 140 kph as well as crawl down a 70 degree incline with engine braking.
7. Adjustable headlamps for specific spread [width] adjustment especially for low beam for OTR uses.
8. I'm fine with Leaf spring setup if we can get point 5. Leaf spring makes the construction simple, withstands more abuse and keeps the costs down!
9. PS, AC, TC, EBD all can be given as options. I wonder what TC will do if two wheels are up in the air though!
10. Ability to ford upto 3 feet of water.
11. Front and rear Hooks and a 12000 pound winch [optional]
12. Mandatory tow cables along with the tool kits.
13. Good NVH - One should not hear the engine noise unless revved above 3000 or 4000 rpm
14. Maybe a Music System [7 speaker], Fridge, etc etc as options for the feathered kind!
15. Good AT tyres to complement this dream vehicle
@ Dhabhar : Please build a single piece and sell it to this gentleman for 13 - 14 lakhs!

For the rest of us, a more basic 550 will do just fine.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ Dhabhar : Please build a single piece and sell it to this gentleman for 13 - 14 lakhs!

For the rest of us, a more basic 550 will do just fine.
LOL GTO, If it is a single piece, work has started already and the piece is being built, with slightly different specs.

Ofcourse, I have PMed Dhabar for his inputs too, but am yet to get a response!
Old 5th December 2008, 15:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think people are just assuming that in these days of cost cutting and all M&M is getting a market research done for free through you on a possible new launch.
Old 5th December 2008, 21:11   #39
BHPian

Mr. Behram,

Is Mahindra planning to launch a proper production version of this concept jeep seen elsewhere on this forum?
Attached Thumbnails
MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-8.jpg  

Old 5th December 2008, 21:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think people are just assuming that in these days of cost cutting and all M&M is getting a market research done for free through you on a possible new launch.
Or maybe he is the enthusiast/savior of the 4x4 community convincing his bosses to launch a product to satisfy us ..
Old 5th December 2008, 21:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Dhabhar.Behram, I guess Team has come up with many new ideas but I guess independent suspection were missed out.

Hey that was a request on the second post itself...IFS [independent front suspension ] from the Scorpio with 4WD, have tested it and it's really good off road.
Old 5th December 2008, 22:31   #42
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,

Looking at the response this thread got, is it realy possible to see a brand new MM550 in production? (Not like Major Souvenir customisation please).
Please link some Mahindra Development Officials to this thread.

IMO Mahindra Should produce MM550 XDB (Just Like Army) with LSD @ Front & Rear,
Wide track NGCS (Rust Proof),
Original Body Design (Rust Proof)
Optional Removable Hard Top,
Optional Eaton Lockers (I Think Mahindra has ties with Eaton)
Optional A/C & P/S.

Let this Christmas Bring some Nice news to Indian offroaders.

( If Army MM550's are in such a high demand in 2nd market, why M&M is not making them available to Civilians as well? It will be like bringing a new Vehicle in a cost cutting way. Just a hope!)

Regards,
O_M
Old 6th December 2008, 04:19   #43
Senior - BHPian

Behram bhai asks a serious question and the 4x4 aficionados fly ofF the handle. WHOA !

People want all the goodies and the price point is 5-6 lacs. Please check the Major 4x4 ex-showroom prices for a reality check, gentlemen.

Indian market lacks a genuine off-roader with creature comforts(a/c, power steeing etc), so that is what we should be looking at. Mahindra is not going to offer winches, not even on a limited version.

I liked Arka's list best, but since some of it are really not going to come OE and keeping in mind a price range of 7.5-8 lacs(on-road), this is what I have in mind. Some mods to Arka's list.

1) Chassis- NGCS
2) Axles Front - Open Knuckle Ball Joint Dana 44 (4.88:1)
3) Axles Rear - FFRA with Dana 44 30 Spline LSD or Selectable Diff-Lock(4.88:1)
4) Bolero Crde engine(if CRDE electronics inhibit water fording capability, a basic turbo will do, but have 75 bhp at least)
5) 5 Speed + 4WD (Transfer Case Pinion Drive with 2.72/2.92:1 Lo-Ratio)
6) Power Assisted Re-Circulating Ball Steering.
7) MM550XD Body with optional Jeep Wrangler type hard top which can be taken off easily
8) Disc Brakes (Front )
9) A/c (optional)
10) Manual diff locks all around please
11) A nice instrument panel and good bucket seats would be a bonus.

One common factor I noted from everybody's wish-list is a rust proof body. SO Mahindra should know what buyer's expect.

Last edited by kuttapan : 6th December 2008 at 04:23.
Old 6th December 2008, 05:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have driven a mm550 with an mdi3200 in it and the thing ran like a raped ape. Whooosh! That motor would do nicely but maybe the new 97 bhp crd Bolero motor would be even better. No more being passed by fully laden Mahindra pik-ups charging up the big hills here.
Old 6th December 2008, 06:20   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I have driven a mm550 with an mdi3200 in it and the thing ran like a raped ape. Whooosh! That motor would do nicely but maybe the new 97 bhp crd Bolero motor would be even better. No more being passed by fully laden Mahindra pik-ups charging up the big hills here.
I agree that the Bolero CRDi would be a better and lighter choice than the Scorpio 2.6 motor.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks