Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2008, 12:09   #151
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You know the real funny part? Tata Motors already has a product that exactly matches all our needs in the name Tata TL Single Cab 4x4.

Tata Motors 4x4 - TL - Technical Specifications

http://gotruck.tatamotors.com/images/brochure.pdf

The AC/PS, powerful engine, rear LSD, disk brakes, 5-speed, auto hub locks and IFS. This can do offroad and provide protection from elements in long travels. That means family transport + offroading. Only gotcha is the wheelbase, it is almost couple of feet longer than I like. Now, what price does that retail at? That should give Mahindra a hint about how to price their product.
Xenon is even better...!

Quote:
We are not going off-track, we are only considering possibilities. If protection from elements, cruisability and offroad prowess can be achieved in modded 650 and stock Tata TL in decent price, then it shouldn't be a stretch to provide them in MM540.
Actually M&M does not think a 4x4 vehicle should be comfortable. No mHawk 4x4 in the market. And the jeeps are .. well .. agricultural.
Currently a M&M jeep is more of a short hawl cruiser. You cannot expect to ride on a long trip in the mountains. Your body will give up due to the elements
Old 31st December 2008, 14:53   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You know the real funny part? Tata Motors already has a product that exactly matches all our needs in the name Tata TL Single Cab 4x4.

Tata Motors 4x4 - TL - Technical Specifications

http://gotruck.tatamotors.com/images/brochure.pdf

The AC/PS, powerful engine, rear LSD, disk brakes, 5-speed, auto hub locks and IFS. This can do offroad and provide protection from elements in long travels. That means family transport + offroading. Only gotcha is the wheelbase, it is almost couple of feet longer than I like.
Spot on! This was the 1st 4x4 vehicle I came across even before getting hold of the jeep domain of TBHP. I guess I read somewhere about the test drive someone had in Mumbai. Yeah, its way too long and may not be that easy to manage in congested city conditions. Also the pricing is a big big letdown, I guess in the range of 8.5L+. Offcourse Xenon is even better, but I think its only for export.

Last edited by Kandisa : 31st December 2008 at 14:54.
Old 1st January 2009, 12:13   #153
BANNED

Just get us the Mahindra Thar. We will be a happy.

Its gets launched all around the world and we have to twiddle our thumbs.

With a FRP canopy and AC we are good.
Old 1st January 2009, 23:27   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
More so, if you intend this vehicle to compete against TATA offerings, it has to be insulated against the elements. My personal experience is that even villagers do not like to sit in Mahindra soft top vehicles, if confronted with a choice to travel in a Sumo/Spacio.

The reason is simple, During the winters, in the north of the country try and travel in a soft top equipped vehicle, the wind chill makes it a pain to travel.
Mahindra does have fully enclosed vehicles to save villagers from the elements. Bolero DI for the wealthy villager and Marshall *Royale* for the not so wealthy villager. BTW the name Marshal *Royale* was made with french collaboration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Is Mr. B.Dhabar working with M&M for Jeep projects!
Anyways I don't see much hope with M&M, they seem to be content with their projected upmarket image now!
Manufacturers will focus on were the money is. The market for soft top 4x4 vehicles are extremely limited and hence they don't spend much effort on developing them.
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:02   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Manufacturers will focus on were the money is. The market for soft top 4x4 vehicles are extremely limited and hence they don't spend much effort on developing them.
Mahindra need not to put any extra effort, they just have to add MM550XD in the list their dealer offer/price list. If any crazy customer comes to a dealer, they can offer this vehicle to the customer if booked in advance. Mahindra is anyhow producing these vehicles for Army which do not abide Mahindra to sell in the civil market. My perception here is that Mahindra can sell the same Army MM550XD in the market with perhaps different colour. I do not see any extra cost involvement or any additional commercial thing. It is just a marketing idea in my mind and if Mahindra opt it they owe me some percentage of their profit from the civil MM550XD (hope anybody from Mahindra will read this).

Happy new year to all off you anyways....
Old 5th January 2009, 03:09   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
My perception here is that Mahindra can sell the same Army MM550XD in the market with perhaps different colour. .... It is just a marketing idea in my mind and if Mahindra opt it they owe me some percentage of their profit from the civil MM550XD...
Yup! My thoughts, too. I have wondered about why M&M does not do this. Do you suppose the bureaucratic "red tape" that the Indian and state governments throw at an auto manufacturer for release of a new model is just too daunting?

When Mahindra starts paying royalties on this idea then you will have to share them with a few others who have expressed the same thing you have. Including me! I expect my first check from M&M right about the same time they discover pink pigs on Pluto.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 5th January 2009 at 03:10.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:36   #157
Senior - BHPian

my wish list for a jeep is:

1. MM540/550 body and chassis
2. bolero/scorpio engine
3. bolero/scorpio axels
4. 15" rims
5. decently done roll bar, seats and tyres.

OR

MM Thar! ( i have sent equiry to portugal mm dealer to see if i can import a MM made in india LHD)

and you have a hardcore 4x4 swb vehicle, which wont be your everyday vehicle, but only for OTRs!

cheers:
Old 5th January 2009, 17:40   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
"Extremely limited", well I would disagree here, its a completely unexplored market, lacuna is huge. India never got a worthy jeep, give one & takers would be aplenty!
Manufactures have to think out of the box & not just keep glutting those small hatches, Indians are increasingly becoming adventurous, feed their enthusiasm!

Btw, I talked to an executive at local Mahindra dealership, he said that company might launch a jeep around Feb.
Old 5th January 2009, 17:49   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
my wish list for a jeep is:

1. MM540/550 body and chassis
2. bolero/scorpio engine
3. bolero/scorpio axels
4. 15" rims
5. decently done roll bar, seats and tyres.
That's all fine, the latest question is how much would you pay for it?
Old 5th January 2009, 23:43   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's all fine, the latest question is how much would you pay for it?
when you cant buy it....build it!

i think it can be built under 3 lakh rupees after buying an ex army jeep and sourcing rest of the parts from bolero and scorpio!

what say?
cheers:
Old 5th January 2009, 23:59   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
when you cant buy it....build it!........
what say?
Maybe you ought to look up Harjeev's cousin. He has a shop not far from you. See his thread on his mm550.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 6th January 2009 at 00:01.
Old 6th January 2009, 01:27   #162
Senior - BHPian

hi
here is my wish list

97bhp crde (new) (as water proof as possible)
NGT 530 & t.case (new)
NGCS (from army scrap)
dana 60 front/rear Axles with LSD & disc brakes (for 35+ inch tyres) (imported)
Wider/longer more arched Leaf Springs with long shackle & GAS shocks (urethane (not rubber) bushings)
stamped steel wheels 17x8

Winch/compressor - 12,500-Pound Capacity
Hella Rally 4000 Xenon HID (pencil beam)(4)
led tail lights
tow hook
skid plates
roll cage
seat belts for all seats
Power Steering
soft top

price 4 to 7 lack (depending on imported goods or if i use them at all)

to

Parm
DirtyDan
DesertKing
4x4addict
Spitfire
Kandisa
Samurai
& all mm540/50/xdb fans

Quote:
about 5/6 months back i came across an article o web about mahindra future plans , which if i remember correctly was interview of mahindra executive telling that mahindra has started to swap jeep platform (or front end of vehicle) with home designed bolero & scorpio platform.

mahindra is keen to discard jeep look by 2010. the main reason is to stop paying royalty to jeep usa & to prove mahindra as an individual Independent brand with vehicles designed & manufactured by their own.

so if it is true which (unfortunately) i think it is , then new 550 not happening.
Old 6th January 2009, 10:46   #163
BANNED

@Jeepster: I dont care about the looks or the name.

Just give us a factory backed product which we can drive offroad and not worry about service and other stuff.

Change the Jeep grill to whatever they want, if it can match what a Jeep can do. I am not complaining.

Mahindra still pays royalty? I wasnt aware of that. I thought all that ended in 1997 or earlier i am not sure of the dates.

PS: Dont make it butt ugly though, my wife has a say in the money being spend.
Old 6th January 2009, 12:34   #164
Senior - BHPian

hi

if you dont mind changed grill then invader or striker is good option for all of us.
because the difference between 550 & invader is mostly its front end design.

the bolero or invader platform will be the basic model in mahindra line up in near future.

thar
MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-jeepster-2.jpg
Old 6th January 2009, 12:58   #165
Senior - BHPian

jeepster,
the information you have provided is bound to dishearten many people who has a liking for the classic CJ front design. And I also thought that Mahindra doesn't pay the royalties any more as it has already stopped putting the 'JEEP' plate as seen in some of the 540's/550's.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks