Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 14:02   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - OK guys - one thing comes out very strongly, which is decent cruiseability "on road". Now consider a scenario where excellent level of cruiseability is available, so cruising at 120 kmph is no sweat at all, it can go even further and roadholding etc at those speeds is also spot-on. What would you pay then? Requesting you all to pease revert.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Ji... I have converted my gypsy to diesel with 4x4. I spent 6.5 on a ford fusion. Your option seems to give me both. Good 4x4 with decnt road manners with can be used on/ off road with the same ease. I would say I would spend between 6 lacs to 7 lacs OTR.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:08   #107
BANNED

Read elsewhere that 540/550 can be ordered from the company against booking, is this true?
Is M&M really going to revive 550/540 & what about Classic's fate, can we assume to see it back in action too?
Invader was a very lame take on a jeep! Ugliest at best!
Old 26th December 2008, 17:22   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
.... it would be great if the service channels & dealers were given an opportunity to bring in restoration work.

This will increase their cash flows, say for instance GTO's jeep got a new engine thanks to the channel, similarly if the restoration work is formalised at various M&M workshops, it would help us customers avoid going to an unknown road side or unauthorised shop.
I like this idea. Mahindra already has a number of company owned dealerships/service centers. But would Mahindra discard potential restoration business by thinking that they would be thereby curtailing new car sales? Proceding thus would they be competing with themselves?

Quote:
Dear all - OK guys - one thing comes out very strongly, which is decent cruiseability "on road". Now consider a scenario where excellent level of cruiseability is available, so cruising at 120 kmph is no sweat at all, it can go even further and roadholding etc at those speeds is also spot-on. What would you pay then?
Well, you have definately "moved uptown" with that further explication. The only answer I can give you, sight unseen, is that if it had the new Bolero CRDi or a Scorpio motor then I might pay the equivalent of a Thar. But if it had the XD3P with a turbo on it, well, I would not be jumping for joy, I would have to take a long, long look at what other equipment it had..... I might opt to get the boys in Chennai to mod/restore a monster for me instead for 2.5 lakh less.

By the way, why do I get the feeling that these decisions on this new MM540 have been made long ago?

Last edited by DirtyDan : 26th December 2008 at 17:38.
Old 26th December 2008, 21:59   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Striker

Mr. Dhabhar,

If the mm550 cannot be relaunched. Even a civilian version of the Stryker will be a great choice.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-bolero_stryker.jpg  

Old 26th December 2008, 22:06   #110
Senior - BHPian

This stryker has shades of the Suzuki Jimny at the front.
Old 26th December 2008, 22:22   #111
BANNED

Mahindra is fast loosing its core DNA! More deviation will leave it open for other players to grope in.
Jeeps was what M&M was best in & those are what it doesn't have anymore, Im not hugely optimistic about their future plans too.
Old 26th December 2008, 22:39   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
well, I would not be jumping for joy, I would have to take a long, long look at what other equipment it had..... I might opt to get the boys in Chennai to mod/restore a monster for me instead for 2.5 lakh less.
Ha ha, I like that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
By the way, why do I get the feeling that these decisions on this new MM540 have been made long ago?
Great minds think alike eh? Or is it that DB is teasing us?

PS:
The local Mahindra dealers dont sell anything but the SCORPIO, inspite of specifically asking for Bolero info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
This stryker has shades of the Suzuki Jimny at the front.
Yeah, the Suzuki Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Jeeps was what M&M was best in & those are what it doesn't have anymore, Im not hugely optimistic about their future plans too.
M&M have defintiely improved leaps and bounds by learning with the Scorpio. The New Bolero CRDe [2.2 developing 94BHP] is apparently a lesson well learnt. But, they need to focus on their dealers and train them to treat customers right. Else, they are bound to go the TATA way.

Also, 4x4 department seems to be sleeping
Old 27th December 2008, 02:34   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Great minds think alike eh? Or is it that DB is teasing us?
I think he values our opinions....so much so that he is trying to change our opinions to agree with his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Even a civilian version of the Stryker will be a great choice.
I could live with a Stryker even with the suspect rear end overhang and poor rear articulation of the present Invader. Nice driving position, good GC, good visibility. With some power under the bonnet and a good rear differential, articulation is not so important, maybe.

DB, if your friends at M&M want to give me a Beta version for trial for a year or 2, that would be okay.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2008, 03:44   #114
BHPian

Here is my take on a modern day MM550:

Basic vehicle:

- No electronics or waterproofed electronics engine with a wide power band.
- 5 speed manual GB with a synchronised 2 speed manual TCase.
- Good axle articulation.
- Lockable center diff for full time 4x4, and LSD on front and rear diffs.
- Dip galvanised body and chassis.
- Redesigned steering to elimenate 'death wobble'.
- Discs on all four wheels.
- 750mm fording capability.
- Choice of good OTR tyres.
- Relocated fuel tank, ~1000km onroad range.
- 100km/h cruising ability.
- Get rid of the Dana 44 and replace with axles much smaller diff housing. The resulting high finaldrive ratio can be compensated for in the TCase.
- SPOA for underaxle clearance.
- Differential cover guards.
- Skid plates.

Factory Options

- Torsen center and rear diffs
- Front and rear diff lock
- PTO
- PTO winch
- HID headlamps
- Doors
- Anti-roll bar disconnects
- Pneumatic beadlocks
- Rollcage and 4/5 point harness
- 1500mm fording
- Air compressor
- Foglamps
- Hardtop
- AC

700,000 ex-showroom would be a fair price for the base vehicle.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:17   #115
BHPian

My requirements would be,
1. Little underpowered CRDE engine (if its cheaper). should be better than a xd3p.
2. Enhanced braking.
3. 5 speed gearbox.
4. 4X4
All into an existing 550 or a CL340 body. Addons like the winch, tyres, LSD, AC, PS and others for extra.

Behram sir, i can afford this for a price of 5L Ex Showroom. Anything more than this price honestly, i wont have the courage to bring it to a solagiri or a tippagondanahalli.

Early this year around 2008 june-july, A little bird at Mahindra told me that they have plonked in a CRDE engine to a mm540 which is doing its rounds in Bangalore for testing. He said he drove it and also mentioned how the guys were ripping it just to break it. He also told me a story about how mahindra tried to put a CRDE into a Classic CL340 to gift it to a very senior executive soon to retire from mahindra at that time and somehow it was not succesfull and then they gifted a 540(legend)+CRDE to him. If this birdsong is anywhere near to true and combined to the excitement created here in this thread, i think i should start saving some cash.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 27th December 2008, 17:40   #116
BANNED

I hope this wishlist sees the light someday soon!
Mine is simple, going by Mahindra standards:
-Tough & rugged as ever, rust free.
-Crdi or not, engine should be powerful (not less than 100bhp).
-5 speed Gearbox, manual 4x4.
-A.C & P.S, these are a must.
-Reliable, not too many unnecessary visits to Garage.
-Good ergonomics.
-Some basic safety, but I guess most here are going to frown about this leave alone M&M!.
-For the ones who want more frills, a higher spec. model could be thought off.

But Im pinning no hopes on M&M to deliver, because its itself washed hands off its own Jeeps, maybe for good according to them! Very diff. to convince people to change mindset.

Oops I just forgot the best part, the pricing offcourse! Just one suggestion, don't copy Bolero Crde's pricing strategy! Come up with something exciting, its the old MM550 only, afterall!

Last edited by bhp1 : 27th December 2008 at 17:43.
Old 27th December 2008, 18:09   #117
Senior - BHPian

I think a spartan, but capable base model (<5L would be nice) + a loong factory/OE option list would be a good compromise
Old 28th December 2008, 20:20   #118
Team-BHP Support

Guys, considering that the CL500 4WD retails at 5.5L, what are the chances that our dream MM540 with powerful engine (for cruising) and all the offroading goodies will be available anywhere less than 7L? If it does have CRDe engine as Kittigadu says, then it won't retail below 8L at least. I mean Gurkha with a DI turbo engine retails above 8L, and we all know the pathetic fit and finish of that vehicle.

Any offroading vehicle that costs more than 8L has to replace not only the cheap old Jeeps we use for offroading, but also the hatch/sedan used for daily driving. It has to be the poor man's Land Cruiser which can be used for both hardcore offroading and taking family out for long trips.

Hardcore offroading ability + Long cruising ability + A/C & lockable cabin => This can replace a Car+Jeep combo and will be worth 8-9L. But show me a 7-8L MM540 which can't be used for family trips for lack of A/C & lockable cabin, it is not a deal, not even close. At least Gurkha can be used for long trips, A/C works and seats can be spruced up and the suspension is great.
Old 29th December 2008, 12:20   #119
BHPian

MM500XDB (What is it)???

Well the discussion on this thread might be pointing to this piece of news i read on Orkut
Quote:
Mahindra is now branding it's SWB Army vehicles as MM500XDB. They are Army specs Bolero Invaders only (Info updated on Mahindra Defence Website).
Looks like Mahindra will be scrapping the production of great MM550 XDB Series vehicles. Thats really SAD.
On the other hand, It will be really great if Mahindra will keep producing the MM550's (With same Army specs)& offers it to civilians........ Just a hope......
And Mahindra's Defense website do list the MM500XDB. Here is the link Mahindra Corporate (It appears they do have a typo in the page)

Is this where Mr.Behram's suggestions pointing to?

Thank you
-Vaspro

Last edited by vaspro : 29th December 2008 at 12:21. Reason: edited the quote tags
Old 29th December 2008, 13:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.... Now consider a scenario where excellent level of cruiseability is available, so cruising at 120 kmph is no sweat at all, it can go even further and roadholding etc at those speeds is also spot-on. ....
Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
Is this where Mr.Behram's suggestions pointing to?
-Vaspro
I am not sure I wanna go 120+ kmph in an MM540. One good bump, one unseen sharp curve, and you are running on 2 wheels or less. In an effort to keep the shiney side up and the rubber side down I think M&M will release a civilian Stryker. It has the new chassis and new steering and is a little wider and more stable on the hwy. It may well be a little easier to put that new Bolero crdi 97 bhp motor into it as well. Also, the interior and the dash are more flexible with room to add heater, a/c etc.

B.D., the Inspira does not inspire. Please use your influence and make it the Stryker. We will guide you in totality.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 29th December 2008 at 13:38.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed