Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 19:33   #136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Any other reason why this failed to enthusiase the offroader crowd?
Yes, it doesn't accommodate family, not good for long travels, has really bad ride comfort and doesn't look like a Jeep.
Old 29th December 2008, 21:56   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes, it doesn't accommodate family, not good for long travels, has really bad ride comfort and doesn't look like a Jeep.
And, the last time I checked, 1 month ago, the 4x4 version still had the xd3p motor and the 4 speed coffee grinder transmission. These do not go well with diff ratios changed to accommodate fuel averages and emissions. No LSD, no lockers. Bummer. I hope the Stryker is enough different.

When do you guys think M&M is likely to announce their plans on this? I need it now. It's freaking winter up here and I need some new wheels, 4 of them, preferably with a heater attached.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 29th December 2008 at 22:02.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:10   #138
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So what we are actually looking for is a 4WD and the good bits of a Gurkha/Safari/Rubicon/Pajero/Scoprio, with seating for 5 with space for the dog in the boot and which looks like a Jeep and comes with the Major's price tag.

Now i get. Will be interesting to know what actually transpires. My money is on a civilian Stryker. Which unfortunately dosent look like a Jeep. Works for me though. Function over form.

Now to wait and watch what Behram Sir has in store for us.

The Legend could have been a good bet at Major prices? But then the wife and kids may complain. And i am sure its a pain on long drives.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:31   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So what we are actually looking for is a 4WD and the good bits of a Gurkha/Safari/Rubicon/Pajero/Scoprio, with seating for 5 with space for the dog in the boot and which looks like a Jeep and comes with the Major's price tag.

Now i get. Will be interesting to know what actually transpires. My money is on a civilian Stryker. Which unfortunately dosent look like a Jeep. Works for me though. Function over form.
Acually we are not asking for the impossible. I have actually seen a MM650 commander with AC/PS, lockable cabin, engine immobilizer, keyless entry, central locking and LSD. The ride comfort on that thing was better than GV. Check this link for this sleeper Jeep: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-o...reen-dale.html This is definitely not form over function. It is a true blood offroading Jeep with sedan comforts.
Old 30th December 2008, 11:32   #140
BANNED

Hmm...interesting. I remember the MM650. They were available in 3,5 doors hardtop and softop version. But i guess this was when MM started producing them with a factory fitted body.

I managed to find the pics of the same, these were on my HDD(possible source older MM website).

I should have the engine stats somewhere. But if i remember, i am not sure though the hardtop versions came with the Classic (as Dwarka could have called it) engine - the XDP 4.90 B engine and the softop with the MDI 3200 engine.

So Mahindra can resurrect one of these with modern goodies thrown in. Possible i think. Only issue this thread is for MM 540.

PS: Sorry the pics are jumbled. The dimensions come after the pic of the version.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-commander650_dimensions.jpg  

MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-commander5door1.jpg  

MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-commander_5door_dimensions.jpg  

MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-commander3door.jpg  

MM540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?-commander3door_dimensions.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Spitfire : 30th December 2008 at 11:34.
Old 30th December 2008, 11:48   #141
Senior - BHPian

Well here are some drawbacks of the current MM540.

1) Noisy Engine at speeds over 80.(We got to shout to have a chat. NO AC!!!)
2) Engine is not capable of holding it at 3 digit speeds.
3) Very uncomfortable in long drives.
4) No PS so unless its a straight road it gets painful.
5) No 5 speed gearbox.
6) No hardtop so pretty unsafe to park in unknown locations.

Well i just spoke as a person who uses his jeep to commute back at home and not true blue offroader. So if these points can be dealt with than its good
Old 30th December 2008, 15:03   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well here are some drawbacks of the current MM540.

1) Noisy Engine at speeds over 80.(We got to shout to have a chat. NO AC!!!)
2) Engine is not capable of holding it at 3 digit speeds.
3) Very uncomfortable in long drives.
4) No PS so unless its a straight road it gets painful.
5) No 5 speed gearbox.
6) No hardtop so pretty unsafe to park in unknown locations.

Well i just spoke as a person who uses his jeep to commute back at home and not true blue offroader. So if these points can be dealt with than its good
More so, if you intend this vehicle to compete against TATA offerings, it has to be insulated against the elements. My personal experience is that even villagers do not like to sit in Mahindra soft top vehicles, if confronted with a choice to travel in a Sumo/Spacio.

The reason is simple, During the winters, in the north of the country try and travel in a soft top equipped vehicle, the wind chill makes it a pain to travel.

The land rover is one of the best vehicles one can own for off roading and civilian use simultaneously. Agreed the CL & the MM series did its job.

It's time to turn the corner because the competition has.

One question Dhabhar saheb. What is the ratio of military sales to civilian vehicle sales ? Your answer lies there. There's no point living in the past (license raj M&M had its bulk sales coming from govt departments and the army)

Had Chevy India offered the Forrester with a diesel powerplant, it would have taken a chunk of sales away from most 4x4 manufacturers.

Cheers
M M
Old 30th December 2008, 16:02   #143
Senior - BHPian

So its turning out to be a M&M joke thread!..Hmmm.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:48   #144
BANNED

Is Mr. B.Dhabar working with M&M for Jeep projects!
Anyways I don't see much hope with M&M, they seem to be content with their projected upmarket image now!
Old 31st December 2008, 01:05   #145
Team-BHP Support

You know the real funny part? Tata Motors already has a product that exactly matches all our needs in the name Tata TL Single Cab 4x4.

Tata Motors 4x4 - TL - Technical Specifications

http://gotruck.tatamotors.com/images/brochure.pdf

The AC/PS, powerful engine, rear LSD, disk brakes, 5-speed, auto hub locks and IFS. This can do offroad and provide protection from elements in long travels. That means family transport + offroading. Only gotcha is the wheelbase, it is almost couple of feet longer than I like. Now, what price does that retail at? That should give Mahindra a hint about how to price their product.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st December 2008 at 01:06.
Old 31st December 2008, 02:29   #146
Senior - BHPian

I'm no jeep expert, but arent we are going off track with the commander 650, coz that's a LWB right?? We are looking for a short/medium wheelbase jeep if i'm not mistaken.
Old 31st December 2008, 03:51   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmm...interesting. I remember the MM650. They were available in 3,5 doors hardtop and softop version. But i guess this was when MM started producing them with a factory fitted body.
I have one but it is not a 4x4. I took it on a 220 Km drive including 20 Kms of non existant roads, but never felt any fatigue, maybe because of the long wheelbase. Another major advantage that I faced while taking the Jeep over my Baleno was that most of the trucks and buses gave way while on my Baleno I had to get down to the shoulders. So even though the Baleno can travel 2 times faster, it took me only half an hour more to travel the same distance in my Jeep.
Old 31st December 2008, 06:30   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
So even though the Baleno can travel 2 times faster, it took me only half an hour more to travel the same distance in my Jeep.
I can understand the situation very well! Thats why jeeps are fun to drive!
Old 31st December 2008, 10:00   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I'm no jeep expert, but arent we are going off track with the commander 650, coz that's a LWB right?? We are looking for a short/medium wheelbase jeep if i'm not mistaken.
We are not going off-track, we are only considering possibilities. If protection from elements, cruisability and offroad prowess can be achieved in modded 650 and stock Tata TL in decent price, then it shouldn't be a stretch to provide them in MM540.
Old 31st December 2008, 12:05   #150
BHPian

I think the pricing will be the key here. We do not want to end up in scorpio territory, else why not have a 4x4 base model scorpio. Currently there in not a single SWB SUV for people who do not want to drive around in mammoth sized vehicles. I find the Gypsy/550 to be a very good size for everyday use but the coarse and basic nature of these vehicles is such that you can't carry you family in it comfortably.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed