Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 18:15   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Here are a few pics of a Jeep that has made its way from Mayapuri - All the way to Bangalore.

Says Ford!
Model: 2000
Power Steering
Auto Transmission! and the works.

Mods: If inappropriate to this thread, please move it to an appropriate one.

Thanks
Shub
Hi.Shub This looks more like Dhabwali Punjab Jeep and not Mayapuri ones as you say. Sorry to say but these jeeps are only for youngsters or college students of Punjab to show off.
These jeeps are brought by these Dhabwali guys from scrap and first of all they remove and get rid of 4 wheel drive systen and make it 2 wheel drive.
They decorate them by painting it in flashy colours and fixing too many fog lamps, petrol cans are fixed, fire extinguisher is fixed, they fix any engine they lay their hands on thus changing the originality of the petrol engine.
you can go throgh thread DHABWALI JEEPS.Regards Drive Safe.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:05   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Here are a few pics of a Jeep that has made its way from Mayapuri - All the way to Bangalore.Shub
The other day, spotted a black Punjab registered Mayapuri/Dabawali creation at Koramangala.
So there are quite some around in Bangalore.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 21:07   #168
Senior - BHPian

Veerji sir,

Quite possible it is Daabwali if not Mayapuri. As I mentioned earlier, was parked next to the wall of my house by someone who had visited the garage and the mechanic that he was was comparing this "show off" piece against my 1965 LHD Immaculately original one and was asking me to throw my jewel away and go for this piece of junk @ 4 Lakhs!

My answer - Offer me twice as much, I won't part with my beauty!

and - A Monkey wouldn't know the taste of Ginger (as in a popular Hindi Idiom)
Old 1st June 2013, 19:21   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mayapuri Jeeps

A colleague of mine is interested in one of the Jeeps.

So this morning we spent a few hours roaming Mayapuri Road and beyond.

It was interesting enough. Lots to see. I'll definitely need to go back for some photography. Still, we were looking at some of these old army Jeeps / Gypsies.

My colleague and his wife want to drive it around for a few years here in Delhi and then take it back to their home country Sweden. In order to do so, it will need to be a Jeep of at least 30 years. Then it will be exempt from all regular emission rules.

They don't want to do any work themselves, so it needs to be all ready to go and should be reliable. They're not looking to offroad it so it doesnt need 4x4. We looked at several of these Jeeps that were overhauled and resprayed.

We were not overly impressed with the level of workmanship, and particular the painting. But then again, these are very simple/basic cars. There's probably not much that can go wrong and it can all be very easily fixed.

A couple of questions:
- Can anybody recommend a particular shop on Mayapuri road, based on personal experience (or know of a shop with a good reputation somewhere else?)

- What is a reasonable price? We were getting prices of around
300 - 350.000INR?

thanks,

Jeroen
Old 6th June 2013, 15:16   #170
BHPian

Only piece of advice would be

1. Do not buy the ready to sell / off the shelf ones as these are built from scrap and are worth that only.

2. Select any of the auctioned Vehicle as delivered to the dealer and have it stripped / worked upon as specified by you.
Amrik Singh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2013, 19:56   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Only piece of advice would be

1. Do not buy the ready to sell / off the shelf ones as these are built from scrap and are worth that only.

2. Select any of the auctioned Vehicle as delivered to the dealer and have it stripped / worked upon as specified by you.
Thanks, that makes sense!
Jeroen
Old 18th June 2015, 20:45   #172
BHPian

Guys just a question.
The jeep bug had bitten me and am looking to buy one.
I am new to Jeeps and have zero knowledge.
Can someone please tell me how to proceed. Can the jeeps bought at Mayapuri driven at Chennai without any issues?
Old 18th June 2015, 22:27   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igybeck View Post
Guys just a question.
The jeep bug had bitten me and am looking to buy one.
I am new to Jeeps and have zero knowledge.
Can someone please tell me how to proceed. Can the jeeps bought at Mayapuri driven at Chennai without any issues?
Contact @ex670c of this forum. He is the go to guy if you're in Chennai. Not only he will help you in getting a good jeep, he will give you enough practical and working sessions on Jeep.
Old 18th June 2015, 23:48   #174
BHPian

Thanks a ton Twinn. I will get in touch with him!
Old 19th June 2015, 12:07   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igybeck View Post
Can the jeeps bought at Mayapuri driven at Chennai without any issues?
This is highly unlikely as there are more or less two options in Mayapuri. First to get the auctioned vehicle (army or civilian) in 'as it is ' condition and second the 'retro' jeeps which are modified and ready to drive. Second one doesn't make much sense as the modifications are not up to the mark and rarely they retain the 4wd, not to mention reliability will be HUGE issue. Mostly people use/ used to go for 1st option and in that case significant time and money are required to be spent to make those reliable. Particularly in y'r case, driving all the way from Mayapuri to Chennai will not be a realistic scenario.
Old 7th July 2015, 20:50   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
This is highly unlikely as there are more or less two options in Mayapuri. First to get the auctioned vehicle (army or civilian) in 'as it is ' condition and second the 'retro' jeeps which are modified and ready to drive. Second one doesn't make much sense as the modifications are not up to the mark and rarely they retain the 4wd, not to mention reliability will be HUGE issue. Mostly people use/ used to go for 1st option and in that case significant time and money are required to be spent to make those reliable. Particularly in y'r case, driving all the way from Mayapuri to Chennai will not be a realistic scenario.
Forgive me to disagree slightly.
Not to mention of any hassle in Documents, my views on Physical Movement are as below :-
Case 1 : Mahindra Jeep. There are two options available.
a) Higher Model with Original Diesel engine in excellent condition being shunted out of Indian Army due to Age/ Mileage. Sometimes these have not even had an 'Accident, and are clean with perfect Engine. These can be driven to any part of India. However as an Insurance, a convoy of Two or more is advisable to counter any break down. Also a Tow can save on Fuel consumption of at least One Jeep.
b) Old Willys Jeeps modified to look fancy are indeed a fancy item and are best to be parked outside House only. The Petrol Engine is replaced by Toyota / Nissan Diesel Engine and this transformation generally is at the cost of rendering 4WD to 2WD. I would not even bet these vehicles crossing Delhi Border.

Case 2 : Gypsy
Indian Army is kicking out Clean Gypsy as Odo reaches approx. 90 - 100K. Being a blend of Modern Technology and Hanky-Panky works of Indian Technicians, it takes some time for the Gypsy to be reliably roadworthy for such long trip. Again a Convoy would be strongly suggested to ensure help at any roadside breakdown besides a really substantial saving on Petrol Expense if Towed by another vehicle.

One thing I came to know was that, sometimes, the Fuel Tanks are intentionally punctured to draw out the last drops of Petrol. The Punctures are later repaired very cheaply and leakages are common.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 09:50   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Case 1 : Mahindra Jeep. There are two options available.
a) Higher Model with Original Diesel engine in excellent condition being shunted out of Indian Army due to Age/ Mileage.
Off-course this possibility is there, but except very few cases, looking at the jeeps people have usually picked up from there and based on few of my visits to Mayapuri, i think the possibility is bit low. Not to mention in what kind of price those type of jeeps would be available.

Quote:
..Case 2 : Gypsy
You are right about the gypsies but since the query was specifically for jeeps, i didn't mention that. Though here again, my personal choice would be a 4-5 year old civilian mpfi gypsy.

Quote:
One thing I came to know was that, sometimes, the Fuel Tanks are intentionally punctured to draw out the last drops of Petrol. The Punctures are later repaired very cheaply and leakages are common.
No wonder. In many cases even the good working parts from the 'to be auctioned' jeeps are also replaced with junk ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks