Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 17:57   #91
BHPian

Problem is that mud tires like this one, or the super swamper boggers, and a few others don't have any lateral traction. For mud they are excellent, where the best thing you can have is a broad footprint, straight and deep threads with wide gaps between threads so that they can self clean. But those straight thread patters along the width of the tire, like this one has, takes away the lateral grip (thats why its a uni-directional tire with the center pointing forward, so it has atleast a reasonable amount of lateral traction). Therefore, in anything like a plain smooth rock terrain, or hard snow, you can very much expect them to push the vehicle sideways rather than towards the front.
The bogger too has the same problems, mud it eats like a hot crunchy pizza, but rocks it just does'nt like. But having a tire good for just one thing does'nt help you at all, since any type of terrain always has a mix of everything, most rockbashers use the boggers for the rear axle and the tsl's at the front, which due to their choc'n'arrows thead pattern, are better at rocks.
The reason why the mudzilla's dont last long is not primarily because its just a mud tire, but also due to it using a really soft rubber compound. Even the bogger(and its not a radial), which is better than the mudzilla when it comes to mud, or probably even at other terrains, has a much longer life(but still the thread life is a lot less than the all-terrains tires or other radials), since the harder compound does not wear as fast.
As far as the looks go, both of them are the best looking donuts i've ever seen.
Bikram
Old 17th March 2009, 20:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

I happened to be there in Mayapuri yesterday. Stopped by to pick up a light for my CJ3B Jeep which I had broken while reversing into a hill on the NIOC OTR last Saturday.

The first shop on the left had two CJ 540s for sale.

An army one, fully restored with XDP3 engine and 4x4 for INR 130,000 and a UP Govt.. one 2000 model CJ 540 with 4x4 as is where is condition ( running ) for INR 65,000.
Old 17th March 2009, 21:16   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus View Post
Problem is that mud tires like this one, or the super swamper boggers, and a few others don't have any lateral traction. For mud they are excellent, where the best thing you can have is a broad footprint, straight and deep threads with wide gaps between threads so that they can self clean. But those straight thread patters along the width of the tire, like this one has, takes away the lateral grip (thats why its a uni-directional tire with the center pointing forward, so it has atleast a reasonable amount of lateral traction). Therefore, in anything like a plain smooth rock terrain, or hard snow, you can very much expect them to push the vehicle sideways rather than towards the front.
The bogger too has the same problems, mud it eats like a hot crunchy pizza, but rocks it just does'nt like. But having a tire good for just one thing does'nt help you at all, since any type of terrain always has a mix of everything, most rockbashers use the boggers for the rear axle and the tsl's at the front, which due to their choc'n'arrows thead pattern, are better at rocks.
The reason why the mudzilla's dont last long is not primarily because its just a mud tire, but also due to it using a really soft rubber compound. Even the bogger(and its not a radial), which is better than the mudzilla when it comes to mud, or probably even at other terrains, has a much longer life(but still the thread life is a lot less than the all-terrains tires or other radials), since the harder compound does not wear as fast.
As far as the looks go, both of them are the best looking donuts i've ever seen.
Bikram
Thanks Bikram,

Good insight into the Mudzilla's. I would have surely bought these tyres if my Jeeps were only for the farm, but we need them on tarmac also therefore I went ahead and bought the Maxxis "Big Horns" MT's. Good on road and amazing on mud and in slush.

The Mudzilla's sure add character to the Jeep once put.

Cheers !!!!!!!!!
Old 18th March 2009, 01:52   #94
Senior - BHPian

since the General elections are round the corner in india, there will be big rise in demand for these kinds of jugaad jeeps for campaigning and other stuff.

there will be a lots of jeep for sale after the elections are over at a cheaper price. it will include some original and geunine jeeps.

these dabwali jugaads dont carry any warranty once they are paid for and driven off, it all "Ram Bharosey" and its true that these jeeps when break down, land back in these markets and reworked to be sold again!
Old 18th March 2009, 08:54   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
since the General elections are round the corner in india, there will be big rise in demand for these kinds of jugaad jeeps for campaigning and other stuff.
You are right, Rather than anything else or solving any purpose these jeeps are definitely big crowd pullers. Even we guys who simply hate or cringe at the site of these jeeps go closer to inspect these jeeps or atleast take notice.
Thats might be one of the reasons that the are so bling bling and are bought
Old 18th March 2009, 12:03   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

these dabwali jugaads dont carry any warranty once they are paid for and driven off, it all "Ram Bharosey" and its true that these jeeps when break down, land back in these markets and reworked to be sold again!
That is spot on, apparently these the vendors at dabwali do not get army disposals. Instead they are dependent on vehicles they have sold coming back to them. They then buy at a discount, bling it up and do an engine change before selling again. This merry-go-round goes on and on.

Also at the place my MM550 is being painted they had one of these dabwali jugaads parked. Apparently after less than a year it is ready for a respray. The painter was saying that some of the guys at dabwali will cover the car with poor quality putty and not sand it down properly. After a bit of time in the sun it begins to crack and peel.
Old 18th March 2009, 17:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

My Simple question which is apt for this thread rather than starting a new thread is,

Where is the Mayapuri of the south? Which has a dealership like this one >

Quote:
Originally Posted by randeep04 View Post
These are some army disposal jeeps standing there to be sold.
Mods please move to appropriate thread if one exists exists.

Last edited by IronWolf : 18th March 2009 at 17:33. Reason: Added comment to Mods
Old 19th March 2009, 07:52   #98
Senior - BHPian

Guys there is this dealer in Mayapuri who has picked up a full lot of 10-12 Army disposals. Some of them are in pretty bad shape but a couple of them are in quite decent shape.
Any by quite decent shape I mean by Mayapuri standards and not buffed up.
Not atall like the ones put up for sale.
What I also came to know is that all the army disposal dealers in Mayapuri get their vehicles buffed up before displaying them up for sale and these vehicles I am talking about have just been unloaded two days back.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:25   #99
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev.

Please post a few pics of these 10-12 army disposals. I am sure it will stir a few more t-bhp members to join us.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev, Could you please find out more about these jeeps. There may be 2-3 of us willing to pick up a jeep each from down south.
Old 19th March 2009, 17:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

I dont have the pics, but the some of the jeeps are quite a good condition.
There was this one that I was temped too

I dont think that I could manage the pics as the shop owner is not on very good terms with me. The reason being that when I was buying my jeep MM550, I went to his shop alot and took a lot of pics but dint buy anything. So the other day he was saying to my driver that sardarji takes a lot of pics and dosent buy anything, and that too in a sour taste.

But consider this, I have thought that I might sell my MM550 after it and the petrol CJ3B is restored.
So I naturally will be buying another 550, and if a 550 in a similar condition becomes available, I wouldn't think trice.

Last edited by harjeev : 19th March 2009 at 17:16.
Old 4th April 2009, 03:37   #102
BHPian

Some info for all Looking for Gypsy/Jeep in mayapuri

As some of you may be knowing I am looking for gypsy-king,so in that quest yesterday on my way to airport I gave a short visit to mayapuri-delhi.So i am attaching some pics(only mobile cam quality) as well as some info that might be helpfull to other bhpians...They install power steering of koya make which also comes for maruti gypsy fitting for 15000..
Prices were too high i felt.most of the cars were accidental ,paint/repair engine jobs done...These are show-off vehicles not for serious use.

First some pics of Blue colour ford.
model-1994,puegot Engine + power steering
Asking price 2.60 lacs. No 4X4

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00895.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00896.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00897.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00898.jpg

Next comes Red colour Willy(Written on bonnet)
Asking price 3.0 lacs with toyota qualis engine + power steering . No 4X4

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00909.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00908.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00910.jpg

Gypsy king 2.35 lacs 2002

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00899.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00900.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00903.jpg

Random pics ,Don't know prices

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00904.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00905.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00906.jpg

Mayapuri Jeeps-dsc00907.jpg
Old 5th April 2009, 01:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

ADVICE TO ALL:

if any one is interested in buying a jeep, i would like to advice them to wait till the General elections are over in india and after that the jeeps used in elections will be available off the shelf at half the price.

even the jeeps in Mayapuri will come down by atleast 20-40%, including the gypsy!
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:11   #104
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I just wanted to share a bad experience that happened with a friend(F) of mine in Mayapuri

What happened is that this guy who is a regular at mayapuri spotted a CJ3B and apparently it was in a really good shape!!! The negotiations started and the best part is that the seller(S) was asking about 40-45k and F was willing to pay 35k. They would have closed the deal at 35-40k or or!!! This was on monday!!!
So he(my friend) thought that he would go to the mayapuri again on tuesday, close the deal and get the vehicle. What mistake he did was on monday he talked to another shopkeeper who also sells amry disposal vehicles in mayapuri and told that he is planning to buy this CJ3B, just normal talk.
We at NIOC have boughth atleast 10-15 vehicles from this second guy and we thought that he's a good aquaintance etc etc!
Anyways next day when my frined came back to the market and went to the 1st seller the seller simply said the vehicle is sold and the 2nd shopkeeper came on monday evening, and without asking gave an advance of 10k and bought the vehicle.

Now this in my opinion is quite bad considering that my we thought that this 2nd guy is a good person or something!!!

What I would like to tell the jeeping community is whenever we are at mayapuri and dealing with these guys just to remember that these guys can never be trusted and we should always be careful about whatever we talk to them about!!!
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

Harjeev,

How much is Padam now trying to palm this CJ3B off for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks