Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 23:09   #76
Senior - BHPian

Nilesh dude,

firstly you need to decide whether you want a gypsy truly.

secondly anything can be bought and sold in our country so you you could buy now with the LPG kit and sell it off later.

If you are getting an MPFI, go grab it
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:37   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Nilesh dude,

firstly you need to decide whether you want a gypsy truly.

secondly anything can be bought and sold in our country so you you could buy now with the LPG kit and sell it off later.

If you are getting an MPFI, go grab it
He he..I want a gypsy mate but an MPFI. No compromises there. I'm done tuning carbs on my bull at 16k feet for the rest of my life. How ever macho it may sound, tuning carbs takes away precious time i would rather use for photography now.

I'm getting a decent gypsy with the kit so the questions. I've never owned a vehicle with a gas kit so not sure how safety gets compromised if the kit is removed. And the gypsy is going to ladakh and having been there twice already, i know how serious safety gets.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:59   #78
BHPian

I think there shouldn't be any price difference, any modfication like gas kit doesn't add up to the price of stock vehicle.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:32   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I'm done tuning carbs on my bull at 16k feet for the rest of my life. How ever macho it may sound, tuning carbs takes away precious time i would rather use for photography now.
i am sorry but why do you have to re-tune your carb at 16k feet?

In 5 years of riding to Leh on a bullet, I have never stopped to retune my carb... EVER! never needed to!

that should not be the reason for going in for a MPFI. A Carb gypsy has its advantages. Lot more potential for performance enhancements than with an MPFI. Plus you will get it for much cheaper.

Last edited by COUGAR : 22nd March 2010 at 13:35.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:16   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
i am sorry but why do you have to re-tune your carb at 16k feet?

In 5 years of riding to Leh on a bullet, I have never stopped to retune my carb... EVER! never needed to!

that should not be the reason for going in for a MPFI. A Carb gypsy has its advantages. Lot more potential for performance enhancements than with an MPFI. Plus you will get it for much cheaper.
So you never had your bike running rich? Mine struggled on every pass! And every trip, i had luggage and a pillion.

Newer tech is better for me. I dont intend to do many performance mods. Not the right time in life to get into it pennywise. There is no hard core/extreme kind of a scenario here for me. I just intend to experience off roading and driving a 4x4 up in the hills next year.

But still havent got an exact answer to the kit question except one tip. To install the gas kit, there must have been specific mods done. New lines feeding gas etc. (I'm guessing all this). Anything specific that "should/must" be checked to ensure saftey when the kits taken off?
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
So you never had your bike running rich? Mine struggled on every pass! And every trip, i had luggage and a pillion.
NEVER had to struggle per se. I never had a pillion but I did have about 60 kgs of luggage and fuel including tenting equpment, sleeping bags etc.

There were only 2 times when performance was an issue: once because I very stupidly opted to continue with a smashed up 4 year old KN filter and second time on one Tanglang La crossing when I inadvertently left the choke on at Pang.

I find this whole retuning the carb thing to be a myth frankly.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:05   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To install the gas kit, there must have been specific mods done. New lines feeding gas etc. (I'm guessing all this). Anything specific that "should/must" be checked to ensure saftey when the kits taken off?

Please DO NOT install a gas kit - You will loose out BIG time on whatever you save each time while filling up

LPG is a dry fuel and spoils your engine.
Old 23rd March 2010, 19:56   #83
BHPian

LPG is a cleaner burning fuel than petrol with lesser carbon emissions.
Now the energy density of LPG is much lesser than Petrol,So the gas consumption would be more when compared to petrol for the same distance covered.
Again LPG is cheaper by almost 55% when compared with petrol. So economically you are better of running with LPG but the maintenance cost would go up marginally.
As LPG is a dry fuel, the engine lubrication would have to be slightly increased when running on gas.That's why duel fuel industrial engines have a different lubrication set up depending on the fuel used.
Old 8th October 2010, 00:04   #84
BHPian

I am thinking about changing tyres for my Gypsy.
what about NDMS tyres for gypsy? I havent heard or seen any Gypsy in India with NDMS tyres. Is Gypsy stock rim fit for MRF NDMS tyres? What is the positive and negative aspects of this?
I hope to hear experts opinion on this.
I think gypsy would look great with NDMS tyres.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:55   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
I am thinking about changing tyres for my Gypsy.
what about NDMS tyres for gypsy? I havent heard or seen any Gypsy in India with NDMS tyres. Is Gypsy stock rim fit for MRF NDMS tyres? What is the positive and negative aspects of this?
I hope to hear experts opinion on this.
I think gypsy would look great with NDMS tyres.
MRF NDMS tyres are available for 16 inch rims which are used on CJ3B and other jeeps.

The OE Gypsy tyre MRF F78 perform reasonably well off road and are not bad on road either as compared to NDMS. Why do you want to go for NDMS? F78 is 15 inch tyre and it is wider than 6.16 NDMS

Cheers
Ankit
Old 15th February 2011, 23:33   #86
BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries

Hi all,

My uncle just bought an ex-army '99 Gypsy King Carb, and I had a few questions about it. As of now, the vehicle has been registered to his name and painted white. It has also had the seats done and is in good running condition. There is a constant petrol smell around the car, especially after it has been running.

I'll let the pics do the talking. I'm not familiar with Gypsys, so I have some doubts.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic01.jpg
This is what it looks like now. Methinks it has lots of potential.

Name:  pic02  VINplate.jpg
Views: 6071
Size:  180.7 KB
The VIN plate. No idea if its different from a civilian plate. It is fitted in the left side footwell.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic03-softtop.jpg
The non-reinforced soft top is not very reassuring, especially after a small branch fell on it and scared the heck out of my uncle who was driving. This portion is going to be made into a hard-top.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic04-f78tyre.jpg
The vehicle originally came with three of these, and a 205/60R15 Innova tyre on one rear wheel, all worn out! The spare rim was bare, and the vehicle was tilted to one side and handled awfully.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic05-reartyre215.jpg
Since we were short of cash after buying the jeep, we got these 215/75R15 Durun tyres for the rear. These are road tyres, and have a very good ride. They were cheaper, just Rs. 3600 each. To be replaced with Geolandars in the next few months as the cash flows in.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic06frontyretoyo.jpgMaruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic07-frtyrebrston.jpg
We got these used LT tyres for the front. Cost 1600 each. They are a temporary fix. They are 195/80R15 Toyo and Bridgestone. They have a slightly similar pattern. Since they are only about as wide as the F78s, the steering isn't heavier. These are tubeless, but the rim is rusted, so the tubes from the F78s were reused after checking for punctures. One new tube was bought.

Balancing and alignment to be done on all wheels.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic08-stereo.jpg
I suspect that there is something missing here. Probably something to hold the stereo. Can anyone please provide some infor on the part number and price?

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic09-whatsthis.jpg
Saw this dial by the ignition key switch. We were warned not to turn it, or the jeep wouldn't run. Still, I'd like to know what it's for. As you can see, the knob has been broken off.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic10-enginerhs.jpg
RHS of the engine. Some sort of cover is missing from here, I think. That's that tube? Please clarify, Gypsy gurus! Again, price/part numbers would be great.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic11-enginebayclips.jpgMaruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic14-transaxl-clip.jpg
There are some orphan clamps near the carb and on top of the head. Any idea what may have been fitted here? Some plumbing, perhaps? But for what? There's also a clamp on the gearbox.

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic12-airintake.jpg
Why is there a switch on the air intake? There's an option to take air from either the engine bay or from the fenders, it seems. Anyone know how to use this?

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic13-fullenginebay.jpg
Just a pic of the whole engine bay. Please point out anything out of the ordinary!

Old 16th February 2011, 10:12   #87
BHPian

Not a gypsy guru, but will try and answer - my answer in italics

The VIN plate. No idea if its different from a civilian plate. It is fitted in the left side footwell.
Same in Civilian vehicles too

The non-reinforced soft top is not very reassuring, especially after a small branch fell on it and scared the heck out of my uncle who was driving. This portion is going to be made into a hard-top.
There is a thin rod which sits where the velcro piece is. Makes the front part a little bit more stable

I suspect that there is something missing here. Probably something to hold the stereo. Can anyone please provide some infor on the part number and price?
Yes there is a stereo holder there, you can go to your local MASS and order the same.

Saw this dial by the ignition key switch. We were warned not to turn it, or the jeep wouldn't run. Still, I'd like to know what it's for. As you can see, the knob has been broken off.
This is a kill switch, since the knob is broken, get your local mechanic to disconnect and remove the same.

RHS of the engine. Some sort of cover is missing from here, I think. That's that tube? Please clarify, Gypsy gurus! Again, price/part numbers would be great.
Why is there a switch on the air intake? There's an option to take air from either the engine bay or from the fenders, it seems. Anyone know how to use this?
There is a flexible pipe going from the air intake to the exhaust. This was available on all carb gypsy's, wherin you can choose to get air warmed by exhaust pipes. Typically for use in very cold climates only.

There are some orphan clamps near the carb and on top of the head. Any idea what may have been fitted here? Some plumbing, perhaps? But for what? There's also a clamp on the gearbox.
Clamps for air intake pipe and to hold wires.

Cheers
GB
Old 16th February 2011, 23:38   #88
BHPian

This is not a engine kill switch, its basically a block out lights switch. if u put the
switch towards S1,S2, your main head lights and tail lamp will not work. better to take it out are direct the wire, exactly you have to direct one wire i for got the color, i will check and inform.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-pic09-whatsthis.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 12:04   #89
BHPian

Hey guys check this link & let me know if im correct . IF yes whats are the pros and cons . This is a narrow track gypsy with wide track gypsy axles right. Its in SPUA & not SPOA right

modified gypsy - Palakkad - Cars
Old 14th June 2011, 15:35   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Hey guys check this link & let me know if im correct . IF yes whats are the pros and cons . This is a narrow track gypsy with wide track gypsy axles right. Its in SPUA & not SPOA right

modified gypsy - Palakkad - Cars
IMO
Its not SPOA, its a body lift - about 6" lift (you can see the metal "legs" in teh side profile photos.
and 4-6" spacers on the wheels - in most pics you can see the brake disc!!
The wheel spacers puts a lot of strain on the axles - in OTR situations, it can cause serious damage.
This mod makes the gypsy look mean and aggressive, while taking away its reliability.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks