Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2009, 22:05   #31
BHPian

headers sir i was looking for you brother, need to know where you bought your wheel trim from? I used to live in bangalore from 01-03. Can i find it there? If so where?
Old 11th January 2009, 22:24   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerman View Post
headers sir i was looking for you brother, need to know where you bought your wheel trim from? I used to live in bangalore from 01-03. Can i fine it there?
Hi, You can find it in any decent auto spare parts shop. And BTW, the wheel trims are in plastic and a snap fit onto the gypsy rims. My suggestion is to change the entire rims and fix the new set of trims. With a new rims, you could use a nice TL AT setup of tyres for offroad use!

BTW, the Color you've selected for the gypsy is great
Old 12th January 2009, 19:15   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi, You can find it in any decent auto spare parts shop. And BTW, the wheel trims are in plastic and a snap fit onto the gypsy rims. My suggestion is to change the entire rims and fix the new set of trims. With a new rims, you could use a nice TL AT setup of tyres for offroad use!

BTW, the Color you've selected for the gypsy is great
thanks for the color choice! roof is off today!! already looks great and low, that high center of gravity look is gone, now i need my soft top!
you mean i cannot put tubeless TL tires on my stock rims? i quite like the stock wheels... i have a set off my patrol in chrome but that is 6 hole.. so gotta be stock for now with the goodyear wrangler 235/75 tires..
Old 13th January 2009, 21:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
you mean i cannot put tubeless TL tires on my stock rims? ...
You can. I have tubeless on stock rimes and I know of atleast 2 more people with tubeless on stock rims.

235/75/15 is the biggest upsize without changing the suspension settings etc.

Cheers,
Old 14th January 2009, 01:34   #35
BHPian

gypsy update, roof removed! all looks good so far! need to know how to go about fixing the soft top. and sourcing the soft top too in black or brown...
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-130120092335.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki Gypsy - Queries-130120092334.jpg  

Old 14th January 2009, 02:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

235/75/R15 wont it be a bit of an overkill for 1.0L 45bhp engine?
We had 215/75/R15 on our MG410W after changing over from the stock tyres the drop in power was felt.
Old 14th January 2009, 08:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you mean i cannot put tubeless TL tires on my stock rims? i quite like the stock wheels...
What I mean is "ensure your stock wheels are new and not rusty at the beads of the wheel" - TL tyres use the bead for proper seating and any rust in this area will make your TL tyre prone more to punctures

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
You can. I have tubeless on stock rimes and I know of atleast 2 more people with tubeless on stock rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
235/75/R15 wont it be a bit of an overkill for 1.0L 45bhp engine?
We had 215/75/R15 on our MG410W after changing over from the stock tyres the drop in power was felt.
There will be no drop in power sir!
Old 15th January 2009, 11:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Chargerman,

Keep the bracket on top of the cabin and fit 4 hella /lightforce lights on it.

Dwarak
Old 15th January 2009, 16:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Chargerman,

Dwarak
not a bad idea, i can easily accomodate 4 hella comet 550s in between the bars.. it will act as protection from trees and stuff too!
Old 15th January 2009, 16:46   #40
BHPian

no but i dont want that much height gain, i like it low now!
Old 15th January 2009, 17:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Chargerman,

Dwarak

Quote:
not a bad idea, i can easily accomodate 4 hella comet 550s in between the bars.. it will act as protection from trees and stuff too!
Quote:
no but i dont want that much height gain, i like it low now!
They may look good, but in case of a rollover during offroad, the lights are useless. I've seen in happen.

But there may be a way to save the lights from breaking incase of a rollover, if one can raise the roll cage and fit the lights under the roll cage of the B pillar. But the height increase is inevitable and may not look good! Also, am not sure of impact damages!

cheers

Last edited by headers : 15th January 2009 at 17:06.
Old 16th January 2009, 11:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Cheers,
That is right, I have tubeless Goodyear AT tyres on my gypsy as well. The size on mine is 215/75/R15. These have very good performance on and off road. Plus I have only had one puncture in the last 5 years of using these tyres.

Last edited by GoSlow : 16th January 2009 at 11:17.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:05   #43
BHPian

Hi all

My friend just acquired an old gypsy (1.0 L) which is currently undergoing repairs and some upgrades in a garage. It seems that my friend was planning to spend 40-50,000 bucks on leather seats, nice interiors and stuff like that, when I came to know about this, I immediately gave him a call to hold those expenses and use that money for an engine swap instead. After a 30 minute discussion, he agreed to my suggestion and has asked me to look into the costs and feasibility of this mod.

From what I know the 1.3 L esteem engine is a direct swap for the gypsy. Now here are my queries-

1. What would be the overall conversion costs for this mod? Please give me ballpark estimates for both- 1.3 L carburetted engine (68 bhp) and 1.3 L mpfi engine (80 bhp). The costs should include the price of the engine, other parts that need to be replaced and labour.

2. How easy or difficult is it to source the carburetted and mpfi engine?

3. Is it going to be a direct swap or do we need to modify the existing gypsy chassis?

4. After sourcing the engine, how many days would it take for the entire conversion?

5. Considering that he will be using the gypsy for jungle trails (he loves wild life photography) and annual visits to Leh and laddakh, is there going to be a drastic performance between the carburetted and mpfi engines? I doubt if he will ever indulge in hardcore off roading so is it worth spending the extra moolah on mpfi conversion or will the carburetted engine suffice?

6. Is it also possible to increase the track? I believe the older gypsies had a narrow track and were prone to losing their balance easily.

7. Are there any other issues to consider?

This is an urgent requirement as the gypsy has been lying in the garage ever since he bought it and he is itching to get it home.

Last edited by Astleviz : 16th January 2009 at 17:08.
Old 16th January 2009, 17:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

swapping to mpfi is more expensive. Since this also requires some changes to the plumbing/hoses. Als odo you want to switch to mpfi or use and mpfi engine but run it with carb.??
A simple solution would be a straight swap to 1.3 carb and then do some performance mods.
If budget is not a constraint look at a baleno engine swap. as the VFM is better compared to mpfi 1.3
Is it a 4wd??

Conversion takes 3 days of labour but related to mechanic he can stretch it to 3 months

Widening track no no no better to leave it as is. Too many complications.

Wheels and tires? suspension? all to be considered if making it an off roader or trail vehicle
Old 16th January 2009, 18:00   #45
BHPian

iceman, thanks for the prompt reply.

This gypsy will not be used for hardcore offroading. It will be mostly used on jungle trails and annual visits to leh and laddakh.

Yes, it's a 4wd which is working fine.

Since you have advised against widening the track, can we instead go in for rims/alloys with a negative offset? Will it make any difference?

Lastly, what would be the entire conversion cost for 1.3 L carburetted engine including all the parts one would require and labour?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks