Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 22:14   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys. It is not a power steering or PTO. The NGCS 550 has the Manual Recirculating Ball steering. This is the same set up as in the Mahindra pick up. Arka has done this retrofit on his MM550. You can see the detailed pictures on his thread. Although this steering is not a PS unit, it is much sturdier and easier to steer than the older one.
Old 16th August 2009, 02:12   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Guys. It is not a power steering or PTO. The NGCS 550 has the Manual Recirculating Ball steering. This is the same set up as in the Mahindra pick up. Arka has done this retrofit on his MM550. You can see the detailed pictures on his thread. Although this steering is not a PS unit, it is much sturdier and easier to steer than the older one.
Absolutely right. The newer models came with the re-circulating ball steering, which was non-power assisted. The Bolero 4wd came with the PS box in the same place. My jeep has a power steering assembly exactly in the same place as the 4wd Bolero.
@Harjeev. Yes, I have created a hole in the front cross member for the steering link rod. Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
My MM550-steering-box-fitted.jpg  

My MM550-steering-link-rod-uj-cross.jpg  

Old 16th August 2009, 11:48   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey tini can you point me in the right direction!!! I too have having somoe issues with the power steering Ive installed. Will like to remove it and install the RANE PS unit that is there in the newer models!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
@Harjeev. Yes, I have created a hole in the front cross member for the steering link rod. Photo attached.
I wouldn't be sure but won't the hole create some weakness in the crossmember. I know that the newer models come with the hole but they might have tested that and also I am sure it would have been reinforced
The crossmember was also cut in my 550 but I replaced it. Check this post on my thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1226706
Old 16th August 2009, 13:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't be sure but won't the hole create some weakness in the crossmember. I know that the newer models come with the hole but they might have tested that and also I am sure it would have been reinforced
Yes reinforcement is the key to this. When these saginaw type power steering conversions are done by 4x4 enthusiasts in USA/ Europe they tend to cut into the front cross memebr as well. They like you say reinforce the cross member so the integrity of it is not comprimised.
Old 16th August 2009, 15:24   #110
BHPian

Manual Recirculating Ball steering

Quote:
Guys. It is not a power steering or PTO. The NGCS 550 has the Manual Recirculating Ball steering. This is the same set up as in the Mahindra pick up. ..
Can anybody tell for how much this steering setup (new and also used) be installed. Also please mention the labour charge.
Saikat

Last edited by khan_sultan : 17th August 2009 at 09:35.
Old 16th August 2009, 15:27   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey tini can you point me in the right direction!!! I too have having somoe issues with the power steering Ive installed. Will like to remove it and install the RANE PS unit that is there in the newer models!!!
Harjeev, if you are not using your jeep on a daily basis, I suggest that you buy the Manual Recirculating Ball steering unit and the front axles from the 2005 army 550 that you had posted the picture of.

If that is not available a new MRB steering costs approx 7K if I recall from the Arka's thread. Although this is not Power steering the steering ratio is much higher and hence the steering is much lighter than the stock one. This is also one tough steering box and will be much better off-road.

The newer power steerings from Mahindra are Rack and Pinion type. Rack and Pinion gives more accurate feedback but are better for light duty applications such as passenger cars but are generally not preferred for heavy duty applications . I am not sure if you can get a new Power Recirculating Ball steering. I think the best bet is to pick up a used one if you can. When I was looking for a PS for my jeep, many people disouraged me from buying a new Rack and pinion. If you are buying a new Mahindra unit, please try to source the Recirculating Ball.

Quote:
The crossmember was also cut in my 550 but I replaced it.
If you strengthen the cut area it will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 loaded View Post
Can anybody tell for how much this steering setup (new and also used) be installed. Also please mention the labour charge.
Saikat
Please see Arka (ex670) thread on this steering upgrade. he has detailed pictures. The manual unit is approx 7K.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 16th August 2009 at 15:31.
Old 16th August 2009, 16:35   #112
Senior - BHPian

I did not have to cut my cross member. I carved out a section and re-inforced it with a 4mm plate section.
Attached Thumbnails
My MM550-modified-cross-bar-steering-link-rod.jpg  

Old 16th August 2009, 20:41   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harjeev, if you are not using your jeep on a daily basis, I suggest that you buy the Manual Recirculating Ball steering unit and the front axles from the 2005 army 550 that you had posted the picture of.
I wanted to do just that but the guy is asking absurd price for the chassis itself. So i din't even ask. Will wait for sometime till these new models become common and their prices reduce considerably.
Replacing the front differentials and the steering mod is my next planned mod .
You know now I am beginning to understand the phrase "the work on a jeep never stops!!!"

Quote:
If that is not available a new MRB steering costs approx 7K if I recall from the Arka's thread. Although this is not Power steering the steering ratio is much higher and hence the steering is much lighter than the stock one. This is also one tough steering box and will be much better off-road.
I think ill do just that

Quote:
The newer power steerings from Mahindra are Rack and Pinion type. Rack and Pinion gives more accurate feedback but are better for light duty applications such as passenger cars but are generally not preferred for heavy duty applications . I am not sure if you can get a new Power Recirculating Ball steering. I think the best bet is to pick up a used one if you can. When I was looking for a PS for my jeep, many people disouraged me from buying a new Rack and pinion. If you are buying a new Mahindra unit, please try to source the Recirculating Ball.
I am sure that if I remove the PS now I would'nt want to put any PS again. I think the Manual Recirculating Ball MRG steering system are the way to go. Whenever I change Ill take a new system from M&M only!!!

Quote:
Please see Arka (ex670) thread on this steering upgrade. he has detailed pictures. The manual unit is approx 7K.
I think that Ill see arka's thread for further pointers
Old 15th September 2009, 21:28   #114
BANNED

Hey jyobeb

Whats the update...long time no new
Old 15th September 2009, 23:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Well I fitted my limited slip differential, fitted new Gabriel Gas shocks in front, Tempo traveller shocks in the rear and fitted a hydraulic hand brake unit. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
My MM550-limited-slip-diff-assembly.jpg  

My MM550-new-front-shocks.jpg  

My MM550-new-gabriel-gas-shocks.jpg  

My MM550-brake-lock-unit.jpg  

My MM550-hydraulic-rear-brake-lock.jpg  

Old 16th September 2009, 10:30   #116
Senior - BHPian

Jyobeb,
You are putting many first's to your jeep and this is a good sign and pointer to guys are in restoration process. I see that your jeep is painted, almost all aggregates are in place. Now can we have some pictures?

p.s- Now this is my assumption looking at your shocks pic. Please flatten your front springs (just like Extrenme power did on his SPOA 540). This will reduce bouncing effect and keep the center of gravity low. I also see some kind of a leading link to your front suspension. Can you eloberate on that?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 16th September 2009 at 10:32.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:41   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Well I fitted my limited slip differential, fitted new Gabriel Gas shocks in front, Tempo traveller shocks in the rear and fitted a hydraulic hand brake unit. Pics attached.
Hi Jyobeb,

What are te advantages of Gabriel Gas shocks in front and Tempo traveller shocks in the rear ? Pls explain.

Tarkesh
Old 16th September 2009, 12:29   #118
BHPian

Quote:
I too have having somoe issues with the power steering Ive installed. Will like to remove it and install the RANE PS unit that is there in the newer models!!!
Hey Harjeev, Buddy can you please tell me what problems you're having with the steering? If i'am not mistaken, your jeep is using the Nippon Powersteering, all taken off Japanese Taxi's and they're the most common PS seen on the Dabwalli jeeps. I would like to know what problems you faces since i'am planning to fit 1 of these on a jeep and i found a source where i can get the entire set for around 3,000 bucks.

Jyobeb, What did that master hydraulic cylinder of the handbrake in the picture come in originally? It looks way like the diff-lock activation mechanism's master cylinder.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:02   #119
Senior - BHPian

@ Vinod. The springs are almost flat. The link you see is the sway bar.
@ Ricky. The Tempo shocks have much more action and hence with the SPOA, the articulation is better. The ride is also much better. The front gas shocks have done their bit to smoothen the ride.
@ Brutus. The line lock is actually for a dune buggy.
Line Lock
TRUCK 4X4 TRIKE OFF ROAD Park brake Line Lock Race Car :eBay Motors (item 370260056525 end time Sep-20-09 18:08:15 PDT)

Last edited by jyobeb : 16th September 2009 at 15:05.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:16   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
fitted new Gabriel Gas shocks in front,
Hi Beboy,

The front Shocks look like coil-overs. Please give us some more details.

Were they purchased in India, cost, specification etc.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 16th September 2009 at 16:17. Reason: typo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks