Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 16:12   #181
Senior - BHPian

where was this event of Gurkha pulling out Gypsy ? Gurkha too went through the same path I guess before Gypsy got stuck !
Old 29th August 2009, 16:56   #182
BHPian

Rahul,

Two Questions mate!,

1. Have you felt in any refinement in the engine NVH side, or is it that you have been used to it by now.

2. Did the sear modification result in any better ride quality for the second bencher's.?
Old 29th August 2009, 17:32   #183
Team-BHP Support

@rhandle: You've got some great content and pics out there. Can you please put some more pictures of the interiors as well. I'm really curious to know what it looks like from the inside. Thanks
Old 29th August 2009, 17:52   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
where was this event of Gurkha pulling out Gypsy ? Gurkha too went through the same path I guess before Gypsy got stuck !
This happened in Corbett, moving in jungle via Bijlani Gate. Gypsy went ahead of us and got stuck. We had to move from side of Gypsy in more deeper water to move ahead of it and be able to pull back. In fact we were reluctant and were waiting for someone else to cross the river first as it had nice flow and was deep enough to fill the water in Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Rahul,

Two Questions mate!,

1. Have you felt in any refinement in the engine NVH side, or is it that you have been used to it by now.

2. Did the sear modification result in any better ride quality for the second bencher's.?
1. There has been refinement. I would say, it is not lot more better and does not sounds like Tractor anymore but it still sounds like a Tractor in canopy, the same way you have silent generators

2. Yet to test on the long drive. The good thing is I can strech my legs, easy to move in and out of vehicle. The other plus point is your line of sight is now less disturbed so you need to crouch less to view ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
@rhandle: You've got some great content and pics out there. Can you please put some more pictures of the interiors as well. I'm really curious to know what it looks like from the inside. Thanks
I will definitely do that brother, but as of now I am rushing out to catch a flight to Mumbai, attending tomorrow's OTR thanks to Dr. Mohan. So on 6th September you would Have them. But mind you my interiors are now bit changed as compared to original Gurkha!
Old 4th September 2009, 15:21   #185
BHPian

@all off-roaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I have found certain changes coming in me since I have been driving Gurkha, has any other 4x4 user sensed these kind of changes in him/her?
[list=1][*]I have started listening to Rock, I am listeing even to Judas Priest. May not shock you, but till now I had been listening to Jagjit sing!
Yes Rahul,I chanced upon this post of yours and I have noted a lot of changes in myself too. This has been corroborated by others who are close to me.
I dont know how to put it , these are issues which cant be adequately put in words.

A:-

Any off-roader ( I will use this term for those who take interest in off-road driving) is a person who thrives on obstacles.He is in a look out for hurdles and his happiness is in overcoming these.He will hardly be found to go "around" or "avoid" the obstacle.As this hobby progresses most off -roaders start imbibing this attitude in day to day activity.It makes them winners as they are generally not bogged down by obstacles ,they like it,they overcome it .They feel happy about it.

B:
Off -roaders are highly attached to their vehicles.
Their vehicles lend them identity.
Vehicles do not have caste,creed ,religion,sects,provinces.
Hence these things hardly make any difference with off-roaders.
Read the forums,they all are mixes from all communities,from all provinces.

C:
Off-roaders are great improvisers.
They have modified their vehicles to suit their needs,they are constanly in a look out for further improvements.
This attitude is again carried over in other fields and improvisation makes them instant successes.They start valuing even minor items others consider junk.

D:

The off-roader on testing grounds always puts up for "traction"."Traction" is his base and he would consistently attempt "traction".
In his day to day life "traction" translates to "persistence".To maintain traction over his proceedings,how-so-ever slippery it may be, is called "persistence" by lay men.THis is where the off-roader scores again.

E:
This is pertaining to you Rahul.
The off-roader has generally seen extremes.
I am using the analogy of a clock pendulum.
One excursion of the pendulum= forward movement in time.
You have done normal driving and off-roading too.
Like a pendulum you have moved from one end to the other.
You have gone ahead of time.
Hence you start seeing others from an elavated level.
Hence you dont get irritated any more,you dont need to "modify" the driving behaviour of the other road users any more,hence no swearing and even letting go the occassional maruti 800.
So keep going.

A Camel trophy(extreme off-road rally) award winner quoted( I dont know if its his original): "Life is not about how many breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away".
I guess thats true for all hard-core off-roaders.

I have changed too ....even with my teenie-weenie off-roading.

Last edited by mohan : 4th September 2009 at 15:38.
mohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2009, 15:49   #186
BHPian

really loved your posts about gurkha.Planning to buy it soon
Old 4th September 2009, 18:59   #187
BHPian

Note from Mod : Please avoid typing with excessive dots...........like...........this. Thanks

I am really amazed by this forum on Gurkhas.......really didnt know that Force had such a GEM in their stable........some time back travelled in a trax and was cursing why is this company still existing with such vehicles....now this forum has answered ....With MAN joining force we can expect some make over on the vehicle --- high class interiors (?) and refinement for the vehicle ...

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2009 at 14:58.
Old 4th September 2009, 19:05   #188
BHPian

well said Dr. mohan. I am sure all wud agree to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
really loved your posts about gurkha.Planning to buy it soon
Don't you may not find it as value for money. Even i am thinking of JEEP.
Old 5th September 2009, 19:10   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen4554 View Post
I am really amazed by this forum on Gurkhas.......really didnt know that Force had such a GEM in their stable........some time back travelled in a trax and was cursing why is this company still existing with such vehicles....now this forum has answered ....With MAN joining force we can expect some make over on the vehicle --- high class interiors (?) and refinement for the vehicle ...
Man has joined hands with Force for Trucks.

It was Merc. since long for the trax vehicles. Tempo traveller is based on T1 and Gurkha and Judo were based on Gwagen - results are in front of you!

But I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying for better refinement.
Old 6th September 2009, 18:38   #190
BHPian

@ rahul

As I had discussed with you sometime back,I did change my Gurkha tires to the ones originally supplied.
To my surprise I found that the off road handling was much better.
better traction could be achived.
I did deflate the tires first to 20 ,let it run again on the same track on 25(inflated it with a compressor). The run done on 25 was better.BTW if you are coming on the 26th,we could both study on different tire pressures.Drive my gurkha on the original tires and see if you can make any difference.

Yeah I finally made it through a stream on your encouragement,the bed was very slushy ,the Gurkha ploughed through 1/100 th of the time I had taken to decide whether to go or not ..LOL.
Let me know what is the safe wading depth for the Gurkha.
If Ashwat wants he too can get his vehicle along with you,I think he too will get some tips from you.

A GURKHA MAKING IT'S OWN WAY.
Attached Thumbnails
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-bhp2.jpg  

10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-bhp3.jpg  

Last edited by mohan : 6th September 2009 at 18:43.
mohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2009, 20:01   #191
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics mohan - Hope you could share more!
Old 6th September 2009, 20:37   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan View Post
As I had discussed with you sometime back,I did change my Gurkha tires to the ones originally supplied.
To my surprise I found that the off road handling was much better.
better traction could be achived.
I did deflate the tires first to 20 ,let it run again on the same track on 25(inflated it with a compressor). The run done on 25 was better.BTW if you are coming on the 26th,we could both study on different tire pressures.Drive my gurkha on the original tires and see if you can make any difference.

Yeah I finally made it through a stream on your encouragement,the bed was very slushy ,the Gurkha ploughed through 1/100 th of the time I had taken to decide whether to go or not ..LOL.
Let me know what is the safe wading depth for the Gurkha.
If Ashwat wants he too can get his vehicle along with you,I think he too will get some tips from you.

A GURKHA MAKING IT'S OWN WAY.
Did you engage 4WD to cross the river bed?
Old 7th September 2009, 00:04   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nice pics mohan - Hope you could share more!
Thanks Sir,I would post more pictures the moment my Gurkha takes me places which I would never have dared to go before.
Old 7th September 2009, 00:05   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Did you engage 4WD to cross the river bed?
Yes Sir,I had engaged low 4WD 2nd gear.
Old 9th September 2009, 13:27   #195
BHPian

I would also have done the same 4wd Low 2nd gear. Especially when you do not know whats under the stream. Had it been confirmed road then 4H would would be sufficient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks