Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2010, 22:12   #271
BHPian

@ Samurai :Yeah I guess it was just a beginner's luck and this time an incredible one..

Yes it has costed me 3K for oil changes, the vehicle has done another 500 km since yesterday without any problems so far. Removed all mats,they were stinking.

Last edited by mohan : 9th March 2010 at 22:29.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:25   #272
Senior - BHPian

Ennore - Katpulli Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Arka, and you came out unscathed after this trail? White smokes eh? Where did you do this?

Spike
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I'd reckon HE Did it in Palar river bed!!
Hi Spike,

I did this in Dec 2006, with Yashvant in his 2001 CLASSIC.

It was 7 Kms up and 7 kms down and 30kms on the Beach to Pulicat estuary and back.

The 14kms in the Sand/Slush and soggy vegetation was an absolute nightmare.

Since the MM540XD is much taller than the CLASSIC, I went in front, creating a bow wave, and Yashvant followed very close, if I braked without signaling he would have crashed into my bumperettes.

Before starting the drive, I removed the, Dust Bowl, in the Oil-Bath filter and started the drive.

After the Drive I changed the engine oil and Air-Filter Oil, as water had entered from the Fly wheel inspection window & serviced Starter Motor .

Diffs & G-Box & T-Case Oils, I changed after a few months. No problems as I use GL5 85w140.

Now I'm a changed man with a Snorkel & Differential Breathers up to the Fenders.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Below video was on the Palar
Old 10th March 2010, 12:34   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post

Now I'm a changed man with a Snorkel & Differential Breathers up to the Fenders.
Such a changed man he is that he avoids water despite his vehicle being prepared for it! Electrical are the main issue even if you get away with everything else intact!
Old 10th March 2010, 13:26   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Such a changed man he is that he avoids water despite his vehicle being prepared for it! Electrical are the main issue even if you get away with everything else intact!
If we have exhaust pipe extended, will it add to any advantage?

Also how to avoid rusting of underbody? Especially water that will enter brake drums or Box Chassis (Worst case) ?

Better avoid water if its deeper than 200mm.
Old 16th March 2010, 14:57   #275
Senior - BHPian

Is the Gurkha still on sale ? Or is it being updated my a new model/engine ? I would be interested in one.
Old 16th March 2010, 15:25   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Is the Gurkha still on sale ? Or is it being updated my a new model/engine ? I would be interested in one.
Gurkha is still on sale. Right now available without any wait period actually!
It is being updated, since stone age. I waited for two years then went for this DI.

I am planning to put up my Gurkha for Auction, what price it should fetch me?
Old 16th March 2010, 15:31   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
I am planning to put up my Gurkha for Auction, what price it should fetch me?
Is this the only way to pay for those 235/85R16 tyres?
Old 16th March 2010, 15:53   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is this the only way to pay for those 235/85R16 tyres?

Well to tell you the fact, I have lost all hope for 235x85x16 in a decent price. Everyone is asking a premium for that.

I had almost booked the gypsy yesterday evening. But then someone suggested me to go 2nd hand way as lots of mods are required to make it suitable to drive with family. In fact there is A/C, PS, better suspensions etc., which can easily get me out of warranty. So am look out for one. Besides that finding a MASS is lot more easier than a place for force.

What Gurkha needs is more commitment from Force Motors, and if that is there then I still maintain there is nothing to beat it, especially now if I have to buy a brand new Gurkha again, since I know how to sort out the issues during PDC itself.

I guess I have told how after the PDC the guys parked my vehicle with Rear diff. locks on thinking it to be Hand brake. Recently they gave the vehicle to my driver after service on 4L, and my stupid driver brought it back in 4L on tarmac Thankfully that service station is hardly 500 mts away from my place, otherwise might have lost the vehicle altogether.
Old 16th March 2010, 16:36   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I guess I have told how after the PDC the guys parked my vehicle with Rear diff. locks on thinking it to be Hand brake. Recently they gave the vehicle to my driver after service on 4L, and my stupid driver brought it back in 4L on tarmac Thankfully that service station is hardly 500 mts away from my place, otherwise might have lost the vehicle altogether.
Really scary that some of these service center guys have no clue what 4WD is let alone when/how to use it. When my Scorpio was off-loaded at the dealer yard from the truck that brought it to kerala. I asked for the contact details of the driver who was driving it to the show room and made him confirm that 4WD selector was pointing to 2H. Didn't really bother to explain to him what it was for, but I told him really bad things would happen to him if I saw the vehicle with the selector in any other position when he drove it to the dealership.
Old 16th March 2010, 17:47   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Friend VN: He is THE ORGANRISER and we are the participants..so its easier if one does not provoke him!!

BTW, Water crossings are great if one is careful and plans on how to do it!
Old 17th March 2010, 00:08   #281
BHPian

^^ The water level in Palar video above I personally is feel is a joke. Sand and slush might be the cause to worry. I have driven in twice that depth but that was in Corbett on pebbled river bed, which is not an issue for Gurkha. Mud and slush right now is issue for me - and I get the Gurkha stuck most of the times. As Arka says most competent vehicle in an incompetent hand is bound to get stuck!
Old 17th March 2010, 10:43   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ The water level in Palar video above I personally is feel is a joke. Sand and slush might be the cause to worry. I have driven in twice that depth but that was in Corbett on pebbled river bed, which is not an issue for Gurkha. Mud and slush right now is issue for me - and I get the Gurkha stuck most of the times. As Arka says most competent vehicle in an incompetent hand is bound to get stuck!
That Video was an example certainly the water level is manageable by most vehicles, i don't know about 'Headers' Gypsy though. It has water phobia

Gurkha TDI IMO is underpowered and is pretty vulnerable getting stuck if operated without diff lock. If you compare it with a MM540, Gypsy or a 3B, its weight and lack of rev ability of engine bogs it down.

I was observing your Diff lock demonstration Video, the vehicle stalled when you were trying to take reverse both diff locks ON! It dint have grunt! However when you took forward it could move due to slope being towards front side.

You said you will post video and pics of your under water adventure. Waiting for it. Post it only if you have it ready, don't go again and submerge your vehicle
Old 17th March 2010, 17:35   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That Video was an example certainly the water level is manageable by most vehicles, i don't know about 'Headers' Gypsy though. It has water phobia
This is what happens when family become Xs: LOL

BTW, My gypsy did do the water crossing last year in its first attempt whereas many had to do it more than once!

But I do agree, I have water phobia

Quote:
^^ The water level in Palar video above I personally is feel is a joke. !
Sir, What is your level of seriousness? I mean, upto what level of water can you take - Bonnet or Running Boards?

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th March 2010 at 14:49. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 17th March 2010, 18:01   #284
Senior - BHPian

The Plot

Quote:
^^ The water level in Palar video above I personally is feel is a joke.
Hi Rahul,

You have finally revealed the Plot.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please now at least share the Joke with us.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:43   #285
BHPian

Quote:

You said you will post video and pics of your under water adventure. Waiting for it. Post it only if you have it ready, don't go again and submerge your vehicle
That was not me but Dr. Mohan. I am dead scared of water and slush.

Gurkha does has the grunt agreed. I wish it had.

But the vehicle stalled not because of lack of grunt, I was shifting gears to 2nd, 1st and reverse and in one of the shift I slipped on the clutch.. I had put on the diff. locks only at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Rahul,

You have finally revealed the Plot.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Please now at least share the Joke with us.
Arka, the level of water was not very deep. I know with the kind of experience you have you can take it through more waters.

I am sure at hindsight you would also agree that the vehicle could have crossed through much deeper water - but guess since it was a new vehicle and you were testing it, you did not push it through.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...pt-videos.html

it has some video of Laxman crossing the lake, though his jeep has kind of snorkel fitting but it did went through lot deeper water, and even in some videos of Corbett jeeps have passed through deeper water without snorkel.

That level of water with you on board is joke. Had I been driving then achievement... simple.

I remember your words very clearly, that to cross most of the hurdles vehicle's capability is just 25%, the rest depends on the driver - how much intelligent he is to harness the power of the vehicle, the situation, the trail and himself.

Currently how many people in India can boast about credentials like you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks