Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 21:52   #316
BHPian

Ummm.. Why is Peugeot spelled as Pukegot here? is it because its not German? (may be Pukegot is german translation for Peugeot just kidding)

Gurkha is a good family 4WD cruiser/ offroader. But there are things w.r.t company support & *** which makes it a rare breed. IF Gurkha had impressed so many & Armies around many parts of the world, then what kept Force motors to capture that as publicity & make Gurkhas in decent numbers with proper support?
What if my difflock malfunctions?
What if somerhing of IFS breaks?
What if I hit my Snorkel on a tree while offroading?
What if my chassis got all the rust?
What if 4WD lever gets stuck?

What will be the answer for above questions if there is no proper service for Gurkha as a 4WD vehicle?

Force is concentrating ONLY on Travellers. So may be spares & support will be fine for that, but is it the case with Gurkha also? I dont know...
May be thats the reason, many people here could not put their 8lakhs something on a Gurkha.

BTW M&M has/had collaborations with many top manufacturers: JEEP, DANA, BOSCH, AVL, Renault, Navistar & I dont know.. few more may be...

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 19th March 2010 at 22:09.
Old 19th March 2010, 21:54   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Let numbers do the talking not you!

Please prove your off road credentials. Walk the talk!

BTW Keep those Diff locks ON!
GurkhaJi are you stuck on all fours with your diff locks ON?

PPP - on the forum if you want people to understand your POV.

And why do you think Gurkha is the best 4x4 or better than Mahindra - Because you have it or Has it proved a point in any Indian / International offroad event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Can you please enlighten us which components anything on the current Gurkha is carried over from the original G-wagen?

Engine?
GearBox?
T-Case?
Differentials?
Chasis?
Body?
Suspension?
Interiors?
etc...

Just because the G-Wagen is an awesome vehicle which I totally agree with, why do people assume that Gurkha is a G-wagen?

Please enlighten us sir as I plan to buy a Gurkha soon..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Something you have never owned or driven but you have an opinion, wow now thats called imagination gone wild.

LOL, you do have a sense of humour eh?

BTW, I have not driven/owned 1/100th of the world's models, have NOT travelled in 1/10th the world's models and I DO NOT OWN a Gurkha, So Should i NOT comment on this thread at all
Old 19th March 2010, 23:44   #318
BHPian

I do not have much technical knowledge about the mechanics of an engine.
For that matter I wouldn't even know whether the Mahindra is better than Force or vice-versa. Forget about axles and differentials and all that.
I am in the medical profession for the last 20 years and have been the Head of an ICU for more than 14 years. Agreed you all know about crankshafts and superchargers and what have you, I service and maintain a much superior machine..a machine which has created all your machines and more.

It ought to be a fine machine but when this machine itself can falter ,blinded by prejudices and subjectiveness ,not seeing reason ,then what can you say about the Gypsy or the Gurkha or for that matter the "classic" or the "MMs".

Mere exercise in vain...
Old 20th March 2010, 08:03   #319
Senior - BHPian

I had a ride in a Gurkha thanks to Mohan and the comfort off-road was impressive. The weight and size of this vehicle are a mismatch with the 75bhp motor. There was one obstacle which the Gypsy crossed but the Gurkha didn't - precautionary perhaps as we didn't have the HP to tow the beast if it did get stuck.

A smaller, lighter vehicle with all the 4x4 features and a powerful torquey motor should be the recipe. Sadly none of the Indian 4x4s meet these requirements. We are fighting over nothing. Government policies have kept the best tech away from our shores in the name of protecting local businesses.

India is smug...no other way to put it.
Old 20th March 2010, 09:36   #320
BHPian

I think this much articulation on my Gurkha is enough for me.
I am happy with my choice and I have no grudge against anyone or any vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
10 Dummies guide to Gurkha ~ 17000 kms done-vinod.jpg  

Old 20th March 2010, 10:19   #321
Senior - BHPian

Answer with Facts & figures & ofcourse pics!

Dr.Mohan Thanks for Gurkhas articulation pics. Going by your words you said you are happy with the articulation of your Gurkha. You never claimed that it is better than a jeep or even a Gypsy! You have a right to be happy with your choice and i respect your choice!

Just answer these questions-

1. What is the average tyre life on a Gurkha? For M&M it is between 50k to 70 K kms

2. Can you post a comparison between a M&M articulation VS Gurkha articulation since you were the owner of both vehicles? I am yet to be enlightened on this.

3. Stump pulling ratios, please elaborate on that. Negate Arkas claim! Gurkha at 1750 kgs is much heavier than MM550 XD NGCS leave alone WWII relic CJ 340 DP at about 1200 kgs. Better crawl ratio with lower weight tell me which is better?

4. Most important if Gurkha/ Trax were so good as a product then why single and double digit sales in India? Please aplly your economics knowledge on this

5. Why did Gurkha sell even less than highly impractical offering from Mahindra called CJ 340 and M&M Classic during their production times?

6. You were talking about taxi segment, they are economy conscious! Emotions don't play any role there. Why is that they are buying Sumos and Mahindra Boleros when FOrce is offering them 6 free services and 3 lakh kms warranty?

7. If MDI and pukegot engines died every 35000 kms then why did taxi segment choose it over spacious toofan/ cruiser with merc derived engine?

Please apply your economics and technical senses and answer these questions rather than your highly appreciated linguistic skills.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd March 2010 at 10:43. Reason: Removing quoted post + reply as its on the way to deletion
Old 20th March 2010, 13:42   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala;17928164.
Most important if Gurkha were so good as a product then why single and double digit sales in India? Please aplly your economics knowledge on this
Well, how many people in our country do off-roading as a hobby and out of those handful people, how many do have the ability to spend 8L+ on a vehicle that is meant for offroading(and not a people hauler) with little bit more luxury than jeeps and Gypsy's.

I am not in favour of gurkha/gypsy/ MM, just my thoughts.
Old 20th March 2010, 17:24   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Well, how many people in our country do off-roading as a hobby and out of those handful people, how many do have the ability to spend 8L+ on a vehicle that is meant for offroading(and not a people hauler) with little bit more luxury than jeeps and Gypsy's.

A +10 to that
Old 20th March 2010, 22:34   #324
BHPian

[quote=vinod_nookala;1792816][quote=Gurkha;1792723]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post

Dr.Mohan Thanks for Gurkhas articulation pics. Going by your words you said you are..

Just answer these questions-

1. What is the average tyre life on a Gurkha? For M&M it is between 50k to 70 K km....
Questions and answers don't resolve any issues.
Actions do-"The era of procrastination ,of half measures,of soothing and baffling expedients,of delays is coming to it's close.In it's place we are entering a period of consequences"-

Last edited by mohan : 20th March 2010 at 22:37.
Old 21st March 2010, 08:33   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@mohan: I don't have a problem with your vehicle, but one wheel on a rock is not proof of a vehicles articulation. And I don't want to get into any lengthy discussion of the advantages of IFS/Solid Axles/ articulation etc. We all use our vehicles and that is fine.

Besides none of us have a problem with the Gurkha vehicle per se. I am a jeep owner, but there are so many things that I am unhappy about in my jeep when it was in stock condition, but I don't go around dissing other vehicles and claiming that an mm540 is the ultimate vehicle in the world.

The strong responses from other members had nothing to do with the vehicle Gurkha but the now banned member Gurkha's response. Gypsy, Jeeps, Gurkha's have their pros and cons. Owners of each of these vehicles have bought it for their own reasons and happinnes. No point in coming to a forum and making tall claims and personal insults like Gurkha does. How do you think the other vehicle owners will react? There has always been very civil discussion about the Gurkha. This vehicle has come for a number of Jeepthrills/team-bhp OTRs. People have seen it's positives and it's flaws. Lke any other vehicle it has some disadvantages.

OT, Gurkha was banned from another forum when discussion of Gurkha flared up as well. Soon as anyone questions his tall claims, he immediately resorts to personal attacks. I have no clue what his problem is is or what he is hoping to achieve with this diatribe.
Old 21st March 2010, 17:33   #326
Senior - BHPian

I'd love to own a light-weight Gurkha with the OM611 engine made, sold and serviced by Maruti
Old 22nd March 2010, 00:05   #327
BHPian

Quote:

100% correct.

I was out on weekend and this thing happens :(

My wife driving the vehicle, 4 adults on board along with two kids, and A/C one. Check out the level these 17" wheels gets submerged!

This one again she is driving. We had to cross four streams to reach riverrine woods resort in corbett!

Last edited by rhandle : 22nd March 2010 at 00:14.
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:18   #328
BHPian

Rahul,
Toyota Fortuner is an excellent family 4X4. BTW, Did you wet your carpets or its completely sealed for fording water at that depth.
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:29   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Rahul,
Toyota Fortuner is an excellent family 4X4. BTW, Did you wet your carpets or its completely sealed for fording water at that depth.
Nothing happened bro! Only thing happened is we did have lots of fun!

Dr. Mohan, why Dont you attend The Pallar Challenge. It's near to your place. It seems this year I might be overseas (dam business!) or would have accompanied you.
Old 22nd March 2010, 01:35   #330
BHPian

Rahul, Had I not paid the booking amount for my gypsy, i would have bought your gurkha for sure. Don't sell it unless you don't have a parking issue's.

Last edited by Amar82 : 22nd March 2010 at 01:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks