Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2009, 15:07   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Awesome! Was a feast watching the Gypsy getting dressed up. Cant wait to see it completed. Wish you all the best may you be blessed with unlimited funds
Already feeling the pinch in my pocket
Old 15th May 2009, 15:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good one ,but i have seen pretty lot number of red gypsies.I liked that blue too,When will the work be over?nice car to pick up and have pretty good shape too.

ram
Old 15th May 2009, 15:46   #18
BHPian

Lot of my friends, family members are calling up and asking, hey krishna/kiran (kiran is my nick name)

Where is your gypsy?
Is it ready?
Oh when it will be ready?
Bring it and show it to us ok!
We need a long ride!
Party?

Recently attend a function; most of my relatives had been there, few were asking the same above questions. Am getting good moral support.
But some (the smart intelligent breed) ask “You bought a gypsyyyy! Oh why did you buy a Gypsyyy? Oh its fourteeeeeeen years old? You easily get second hand esteem, Alto for the price you have paid for your gypsyeeee man. You should have bought esteem, alto.. blaugh blaugh blaugh “.
My answer for them: Oh is it..I didn’t know (As if am dumb)

As they Say: LET THE BOYS HAVE THE TOYS. I RIDE A GYPSY

Work is going on snail’s pace

Finally the tinkering work got over.check out the snaps. He is the tinker (one of the laziest person I have ever met, look how he’s smiling (I started showing him stars in broad daylight. So that he finishes the work fast. While clicking this snap I told ‘I will put your snap in the internet’. ...smile please...Say cheese’)

My Gypsy Rebuild Project-dsc01503.jpg
The blue car on the right side is my Zen.
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild Project-dsc01502.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild Project-dsc01501.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild Project-dsc01500.jpg  

krishnathanthri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2009, 15:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Good one ,but i have seen pretty lot number of red gypsies.I liked that blue too,When will the work be over?nice car to pick up and have pretty good shape too.

ram
In another 2 weeks it should be ready.
Old 15th May 2009, 15:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
Yes its not a Gypsy Disk. I hope its not a MM540 disk. The owner had a MM540 too, he sold it the same day i went to see the Gypsy. I will paint all these and keep it in the Garage
Anyways am going for New Mag wheels.
the floor board is one of the weakest points in the gypsy , the underside will be worse than what can be seen in the pic posted by you . ensure your tinker and painter work on that.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
the floor board is one of the weakest points in the gypsy , the underside will be worse than what can be seen in the pic posted by you . ensure your tinker and painter work on that.

Yes there is much small rust especially near the clutch, break paddle area. The tinker cut the whole sheet and welded new sheet there. Behind the driver seat also the same.

I need one more advice; I will not use the full soft top. I will be covering only the front seat area.
From one of my friend I heard that when it rains the water from the back side will enter the cabin area. He advised me to get an L shaped metal rod to be placed along with sealant behind the front seats so that the water doesn’t enter the cabin area.

Please Advice.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:08   #22
D-Man

Krishna - Thanks for keeping it posted. I saw a few of such in Chandigarh. They have the hard top covering only the front seats. At the back you can get a custom Vinyl trap door fitted which can be plugged in during rain. With that as well there might be some seepage. Does it rain much there?

Old 15th May 2009, 17:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Krishna - Thanks for keeping it posted. I saw a few of such in Chandigarh. They have the hard top covering only the front seats. At the back you can get a custom Vinyl trap door fitted which can be plugged in during rain. With that as well there might be some seepage. Does it rain much there?
I heard the rain water comes in when break is applied. It doesn’t rain much but I don’t want water to enter the driver cabin and floor mat's getting wet whenever it rain's.
Old 15th May 2009, 17:21   #24
BHPian

Cool buy, looks like somebody's dream are reaching reality.

Keep the build updates coming...
Old 15th May 2009, 17:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Krishna,

Great going. So the gypsy is coming to bangalore? Voila one more gypsy for offroading. May be or may be not

Dwarak
Old 15th May 2009, 17:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Krishna,

Great going. So the gypsy is coming to bangalore? Voila one more gypsy for offroading. May be or may be not

Dwarak
My Gypsy is Bangalore registered. It was in Bangalore from 94-98. Then it was bought by its previous owner and taken to chikmagalur. Now just for repair, painting it’s in Mysore. Now 2009 after all work gets over, it will be here in Bangalore forever :-)
Old 15th May 2009, 19:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check out my Gypsy. It’s a 1994 Gypsy. I bought it from a coffee estate owner near chikmagalur. I bought it 2 months ago (March). The 4x4 is missing. Reason: Need to accommodate one more person in the front. So he has removed the 4x4 gear and placed a small cushion in between the front seat . But luckily he had all the 4x4 thing's kept in his garage. He even gave the soft top. The vehicle is currently undergoing total overhaul in Mysore. It will be ready in next 2 Weeks. I clicked these Snaps on the way to Mysore from chikmagalur.
Attachment 136562
Attachment 136563
Attachment 136564
Hi. Krishna congrats its a good buy, if he had removed the 4 wheel drive mechanism why he has stickers 4x4 on sides. The vehicle seems to be absolutely original, still I fail to understand why he removed that small lever of four wheel drive it hardly takes any additional space in the front.I had a gypsy in year 1987 with 1000cc carb engine which was silken smooth it used to idle so smooth that at times I have turned ignition key accidently when the engine was ON, and it had lock & unlock type of attachment on hub [original japanese] which after some years time they dicontinued giving it along with gypsy, looks like they wanted to cut cost.I have travelled to my project site in Abu Road in Rajasthan all alone in year 1997,started from versova at sharp 4.00am reached Abu Road at 7.45pm same day,I was litterly flying all through maharashtra,gujarat,rajasthan with altogather only 4 halts including refuling.Please keep to original shape for restoration and use all genuine MGP parts it may be major components or even smallest thing like taillight glasses. It will definately come out good also look for a good mechanic, denter, painter, for the job see his earlier jobs done satisfy yourself then go ahead,such restoration are not to be done every year.BEST OF LUCK, If you need anything from mumbai Iwill be glad to help you in that.
Old 15th May 2009, 20:04   #28
D-Man

Quote:
My Gypsy is Bangalore registered. It was in Bangalore from 94-98. Then it was bought by its previous owner and taken to chikmagalur. Now just for repair, painting it’s in Mysore. Now 2009 after all work gets over, it will be here in Bangalore forever :-)
AWesome! I shall be moving to banglore in a few weeks! Can I hitch a ride then? I guess by that time it shall be complete.Btw I hope you are not planning on having 'Carpet Mats' inside. Water getting in is a issue. I have thought of something but its hard to express here. I will draw it and send it to you. May be it shall help.

Old 15th May 2009, 20:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From one of my friend I heard that when it rains the water from the back side will enter the cabin area. He advised me to get an L shaped metal rod to be placed along with sealant behind the front seats so that the water doesn’t enter the cabin area.

Please Advice.
The gypsy has the L shaped metal folding just behind the front seats to prevent water from going into the floorboard from behind.

But, even if it does go, nevermind, just remove the rubber fillers from the floor and the water drains within seconds.

And Water will enter a gypsy via many ways, not necessarily the back alone!

Congrats on your buy, seems a good piece!
Old 16th May 2009, 09:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
AWesome! I shall be moving to banglore in a few weeks! Can I hitch a ride then? I guess by that time it shall be complete.Btw I hope you are not planning on having 'Carpet Mats' inside. Water getting in is a issue. I have thought of something but its hard to express here. I will draw it and send it to you. May be it shall help.

i was planning for rubber mats. ok dude send it across i will have a look at it. Let me when you are coming i shall meet you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks