Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 19:03   #151
BHPian

brilliantly documented, i know how much fun it is restoring a gypsy, i have recently done mine, alloys are soon to come!! and i am just being stingy about the tires!i recently swapped wheels with my toyota liteace 4wd and this is how its looking, tell me if i should change to them retaining the big gypsy tires or not......since you are good with gypsys!?i somehow like the gypsy original wheels and i have a set of chrome rim embellishers waiting for them too...confused...
Attached Thumbnails
My Gypsy Rebuild Project-gypsyside.jpg  

My Gypsy Rebuild Project-220620094871.jpg  

Old 30th June 2009, 19:53   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerman View Post
brilliantly documented, i know how much fun it is restoring a gypsy, i have recently done mine, alloys are soon to come!! and i am just being stingy about the tires!i recently swapped wheels with my toyota liteace 4wd and this is how its looking, tell me if i should change to them retaining the big gypsy tires or not......since you are good with gypsys!?i somehow like the gypsy original wheels and i have a set of chrome rim embellishers waiting for them too...confused...

I think you should go for the original Gypsy disc's and tires. Yes the "chrome rim embellishers " look's good. Check out the pic that gypsy belong's to a TBHPian.

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 5868
Size:  576.1 KB
Old 30th June 2009, 20:24   #153
Team-BHP Support

OE rims yes, but those rim lips??! definitely NOT on a gypsy for me!
Old 30th June 2009, 21:10   #154
BHPian

The gypsy looks awesome in the red and black combination.
Has the work on the 4X4 completed by MASS?

Last edited by f1fan : 30th June 2009 at 21:11.
Old 1st July 2009, 06:45   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
The gypsy looks awesome in the red and black combination.
Has the work on the 4X4 completed by MASS?

regarding the 4x4 thing. There was not much work in it. Just the shaft and gear lever had to be fitted. On sat only they fitted the shaft and lever. i took it for a test ride along with the mechanic. Tried shifting for 2w to 4l, 4h things were all fine. After reaching mass i again tried but i couldnt shift the gear from neutral to 2w. It was too late that day, so i asked them to complete the work on monday to deliver the gypsy to my house. Monday the mechanic called up and told there is some problem in the gear liver, so its giving problem and it has to be changed. Worst part is, he told they dont have stock. This weekend i will show it to some other mechanic and try to find a solution.
Old 1st July 2009, 09:59   #156
Senior - BHPian

Krishnatantri,

Gear lever gets struck because of non-use for long time. It happens in every gypsy. When struck in 4 H , move the vehicle slowly and push the level to 2 WL, it gets engaged. If not, open the rubber cover of the lever, press and turn the cap at transfer gear box top which holds the lever into TG. Lever comes out in your hand. Take a long screw driver and insert into lever slot and push the gear latch into position. Put back the lever and press lock. It should work now. If not get mechanic to do it.

We all have experienced this problem.
Old 1st July 2009, 10:09   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Krishnatantri,

Gear lever gets struck because of non-use for long time. It happens in every gypsy. When struck in 4 H , move the vehicle slowly and push the level to 2 WL, it gets engaged. If not, open the rubber cover of the lever, press and turn the cap at transfer gear box top which holds the lever into TG. Lever comes out in your hand. Take a long screw driver and insert into lever slot and push the gear latch into position. Put back the lever and press lock. It should work now. If not get mechanic to do it.

just remember the gypsy is not a delicate darling

Cheers
GB
Old 1st July 2009, 10:34   #158
Team-BHP Support

Yup if the tranny is not given work out, the box has annoying tendency to get stuck. Best is to consult a mech and ask him to do the needful and then figure out the process.

Worst case is when its stuck in N and wouldnt go anywhere else, so no power transfer at all

I started working out the 4x4 box on a weekly basis, in all the ratio's (for short while atleast) and after a month or so, this problem went away on its own. Not makhaan shift but typical hard shifts that you can expect from this vehicle.
Old 1st July 2009, 17:22   #159
BHPian

same thing happened to me the day i went to take delivery of my gypsy from the painters place!! it got stuck in N, it takes 10 mins of how dwarka explained to get it back running again, use it regularly it becomes fine!!
Old 1st July 2009, 17:47   #160
BHPian

Job nicely done

Congrats Krishna. Your Gypsy looks killer ...
Old 1st July 2009, 18:05   #161
D-Man

Perfect!! the work looks detailed. Really Really nice. See if you can post before and after in one page. so happy the wait is over. wonder how happy you are

Old 1st July 2009, 21:34   #162
Senior - BHPian

Hi Krishna, I find a gypsy for sale in the classifieds section posted by you. Were you trying to sell this baby earlier or still open ? My cousine was looking for one.
Old 1st July 2009, 22:11   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Krishnatantri,

The simple solution used to be - 1) ensure the wheels are straight, then rock the vehicle back and forth and engage/dis engage the 4H/L - worked every time on the 410 and the 413 - and yes use it more often is the best remedy!
Trust you have fitted the free wheel hubs!

Seeing a gypsy brings tears!

Cheers
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:16   #164
BHPian

4x$ Shifter Problem

Krishna,

What you should check is the shifter sheet - which is an "O" ring at the base of the shifter. This needs to be replaced depending on use. The common indicator for replacement is the shifter getting stuck or being hard to shift across 2W /4H/ 4L. I went through the same problem as well!

Check out this link Suzuki Samurai Transfer Case Shifter Bushing Repair
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:00   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Krishnatantri,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post

just remember the gypsy is not a delicate darling

Cheers
GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yup if the tranny is not given work out, the box has annoying tendency to get stuck. Best is to consult a mech and ask him to do the needful and then figure out the process.

Worst case is when its stuck in N and wouldnt go anywhere else, so no power transfer at all

I started working out the 4x4 box on a weekly basis, in all the ratio's (for short while atleast) and after a month or so, this problem went away on its own. Not makhaan shift but typical hard shifts that you can expect from this vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerman View Post
same thing happened to me the day i went to take delivery of my gypsy from the painters place!! it got stuck in N, it takes 10 mins of how dwarka explained to get it back running again, use it regularly it becomes fine!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
The simple solution used to be - 1) ensure the wheels are straight, then rock the vehicle back and forth and engage/dis engage the 4H/L - worked every time on the 410 and the 413 - and yes use it more often is the best remedy!
Trust you have fitted the free wheel hubs!

Seeing a gypsy brings tears!

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Krishna,

What you should check is the shifter sheet - which is an "O" ring at the base of the shifter. This needs to be replaced depending on use. The common indicator for replacement is the shifter getting stuck or being hard to shift across 2W /4H/ 4L. I went through the same problem as well!

Check out this link Suzuki Samurai Transfer Case Shifter Bushing Repair
Hi All,

Thanks for all you peoples suggestions. I will be going to Mysore this weekend. I will try it along with a Mec. Let’s see.

As of now the soft top and flooring work is done. Next is Silencer modification, number plate fitting, Sparco/Recaro Seats (Not able to find these seats. am looking for look-alike once), Dark tinted glass sticker, TeamBHP sticker.

krishna

Most Viewed