Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2018, 01:01   #301
BHPian

Re: Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms

Congratulations Deepak!

What are your plans for some of the upgrades/mods or do you plan to keep it stock? Going through your thread I noticed that you were planning suspension upgrade on your last one. Do you plan to do that to improve the ride quality?
Old 22nd May 2018, 15:39   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Congratulations Deepak!

What are your plans for some of the upgrades/mods or do you plan to keep it stock? Going through your thread I noticed that you were planning suspension upgrade on your last one. Do you plan to do that to improve the ride quality?
Hey Vikram,
Thanks. Nothing much on the upgrade front. I do intend do keep it close to stock.
I am definitely contemplating on OME to improve the ride quality Vikram.
So, am in talks with @cool_dube to get it done together. Let's see how it goes.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 17:49   #303
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deepak. How's the Gypsy doing?

Here's a friend's Gypsy parked at home due to lockdown.

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-20201001_174710.jpg
arun1100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 18:40   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Hi Deepak. How's the Gypsy doing?
Hey Arun,
Long time! The Gypsy is doing good.
I have upgraded the suspension to OME and a few other bits.
Here is how it looks now..

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-f0b93e50ce584457ae0e1e31c36f81fe_1_201_a.jpeg

Quote:
Here's a friend's Gypsy parked at home due to lockdown.
How do you like driving it? How is it in comparison to the other cars of similar vintage you have driven?

Cheers..

Last edited by starter : 1st October 2020 at 18:42.
starter is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 03:42   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Vikram,
Thanks. Nothing much on the upgrade front. I do intend do keep it close to stock.
I am definitely contemplating on OME to improve the ride quality Vikram.
So, am in talks with @cool_dube to get it done together. Let's see how it goes.
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi Deepak,

Trust you're doing well in these challenging times. How's your Gypsy doing?

Request you to provide a bit detailed feedback if you may about the changes in ride quality/handling aspects after you have gone in for the OME set up.

I'm also contemplating the same but finding it a bit difficult to justify the expense involved especilly in light of low mileage (7,500 clicks so far in four years).

If I do pull the trigger, the retro fitmant will be done during my upcoming visit back home (if I infact do manage to get on board an airplane in these scary times).

Thank you.
Old 9th October 2020, 12:11   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Request you to provide a bit detailed feedback if you may about the changes in ride quality/handling aspects after you have gone in for the OME set up.
Hi Vikram - good to hear from you! Hope you are doing well. I will take the liberty of providing a few inputs, since Deepak and I got this done together for our respective Gypsies.

In a nutshell - if you plan to keep the Gypsy for long term (which I believe you are), this investment is worth every penny! It transforms the Gypsy from a back-breaking roller coaster into a supple glider An additional advantage is a slight lift and more handsome stance. Do note, however, that you would be able to realize the real benefits of this change only if you switch to radial tires, as OE tires are just pathetic. Hope this helps.

Apologies for hijacking your answer, Deepak All yours...

Edit - could not resist posting this recent pic of my beloved Gypsy
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-g1.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 9th October 2020 at 12:25.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 10:58   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi Vikram - good to hear from you! Hope you are doing well. I will take the liberty of providing a few inputs, since Deepak and I got this done together for our respective Gypsies.

In a nutshell - if you plan to keep the Gypsy for long term (which I believe you are), this investment is worth every penny! It transforms the Gypsy from a back-breaking roller coaster into a supple glider An additional advantage is a slight lift and more handsome stance. Do note, however, that you would be able to realize the real benefits of this change only if you switch to radial tires, as OE tires are just pathetic. Hope this helps.

Apologies for hijacking your answer, Deepak All yours...

Edit - could not resist posting this recent pic of my beloved Gypsy
Hello Mr. Dube,

Great to hear from you. Trust you're doing well.

Great feedaback; I must say you've almost convinced me.

Yes it is keeper and I do plan to retain it as long as I can so changing something as critical as a suspension will help me keeping those Himalayan sojurns less painful.

Roads in Himachal are in a pitiful state and any improvement in the ride quality will surely be welcome.

I did change the stock tires to Yokohamas the very next day I took the delivery and that did help a lot.

How's you Gyspy doing? I change the engine oil/filter every year and last year I changed the transmission, front and rear differential fluids as well.

I also plan to change the airfilter & gaskets for the front doors and the hatch this year as these seem to have deteriorated.

As for the engine it runs as soomth as a well oiled machine as it should.

I did read in one of your earlier posts where you mentioned that you plan to purchase the new Thar and dispose off the Gyspsy which does not surprise me given the fact that the new Thar has all the accoutrement that will make it a well sorted vehicle in this category.

Please keep us posted when you do pull the trigger.

As for me Gypsy holds an allure that no other vehicle can match so....

Drive safe my friend!
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 22:07   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trust you're doing well in these challenging times. How's your Gypsy doing?

Hey Vikram,
The Gypsy is doing great. I have very less miles on it since the usage has almost reduced to a few kms around bangalore over weekends.
The OME set up along with the yokos have tamed the ride quite a bit.
It still ain't car like or even close to my other car's ride (fortuner - whose ride quality is nothing great to write about but still would give you a perspective ).
It's worth the money Vikram. You should go ahead with it.
Cheers,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 01:36   #309
BHPian

Quote:
I did read in one of your earlier posts where you mentioned that you plan to purchase the new Thar and dispose off the Gypsy which does not surprise me given the fact that the new Thar has all the accoutrement that will make it a well sorted vehicle in this category.
One of my good friends is in the same predicament. His children had him purchase a new Gypsy from the last batch made and have modified it with a roll cage, new seats, bigger tires, metal bumpers, winch, lights etc driven around 7500 kms since participating in offroad rallies and such. His kids have since gone abroad to study and the vehicle is annually driven for the 15 days when they are home. He recently was able to take a test drive of the manual Thar and feels that an Automatic Diesel Thar would be a much better vehicle for him since it would be a lot more comfortable than a rally-prepped Gypsy while also being quite capable off-roader if need be and he can also use it as his city runabout. He has spent around 2L in all the modifications. What would be a fair amount according to you that he could expect for the vehicle if he was to sell his Gypsy today?
Old 12th October 2020, 12:03   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did change the stock tires to Yokohamas the very next day I took the delivery and that did help a lot.
That's what I did too! Makes a world of difference.

Quote:
How's you Gypsy doing?
Gypsy is doing great! It is a weekend car for me, providing the joy and excitement of open-top motoring for the family. Needless to say, this has resulted in extremely low running - about 6K km in 4 odd years. But each of those clicks on the odo is pure bliss, and the Gypsy bring a broad grin to my face every time I get behind its muscle-building steering wheel

Quote:
I did read in one of your earlier posts where you mentioned that you plan to purchase the new Thar and dispose off the Gypsy
Well, it is just a thought at the moment, and I am nowhere near to pulling the trigger, at least not for another 2 years till the Thar "stabilizes". As much as I love the Gypsy, it is impractical as a daily drive for obvious reasons. As one ages and the pragmatisms of life catch up, keeping a car just for weekend fun starts sounding like high levels of indulgence The new Thar provides a good balance of both worlds - I can use it as my daily commute/beater car as well as for those weekend open-top drives! Let's see how this pans out. Till then, will let the Gypsy in me live life to the lees!! Who knows, you might see my drive up in it, to your side of the country one of these years.

Quote:
It still ain't car like or even close to my other car's ride
Agree with Starter here! Please note that the drastic improvement in ride quality is relative to the OE one! No way can one expect a car-like ride, whatever you do to the Gypsy, what with leaf springs all around and the super-light car that it is at less than a ton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargedGarage View Post
One of my good friends is in the same predicament
I can completely identify with his predicament, as you can probably make out from my post above. I guess it is a sensible move, unless he is into very frequent off-road sojourns and rallies. As for the price, a "clean" Gypsy is rare to come by and I am sure he will get a good price, especially now that it is no longer available from the factory for civilians.

Last edited by cool_dube : 12th October 2020 at 12:04.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 03:28   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Vikram,
The Gypsy is doing great. I have very less miles on it since the usage has almost reduced to a few kms around bangalore over weekends.
It still ain't car like or even close to my other car's ride (fortuner - whose ride quality is nothing great to write about but still would give you a perspective ).
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi Deepak,

Great to hear from you.

I understand; Gypsy's ride will never be of that of a car and I don't expect that; it's just if I could tame the ride a bit and save my already fragile back some abuse; it will be enough.
The endorsement of the OME set up coming from both yourself and cool_dube makes it a compelling case. I might just go for it but if I do, I will keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That's what I did too! Makes a world of difference.

Gypsy is doing great! It is a weekend car for me, providing the joy and excitement of open-top motoring for the family. Needless to say, this has resulted in extremely low running - about 6K km in 4 odd years. But each of those clicks on the odo is pure bliss, and the Gypsy bring a broad grin to my face every time I get behind its muscle-building steering wheel
That's interesting; you actually have a lower odometer reading then even mine and that's saying something. But you're right; every time I get behind the wheel, it provides such a visceral experience as compared to the clinical/boring experience provided by some of the SUVs that I drive here.

Though I must mention that the only time I got a Gypsy like feel was when I test drove the new Wrangler (JL) back in 2018. I almost felt like pulling the trigger but the enthusiastic driver in me could not resist the charm of a particular German brand besides we already have three SUVs in the house. Now Ford is planning to launch the Bronco next year in spring and that itch has started again...

Quote:
Well, it is just a thought at the moment, and I am nowhere near to pulling the trigger, at least not for another 2 years till the Thar "stabilizes". As much as I love the Gypsy, it is impractical as a daily drive for obvious reasons. As one ages and the pragmatisms of life catch up, keeping a car just for weekend fun starts sounding like high levels of indulgence The new Thar provides a good balance of both worlds - I can use it as my daily commute/beater car as well as for those weekend open-top drives! Let's see how this pans out.
I agree with you completely on almost all counts. In fact the other day I was telling my better half that if and when I do relocate to India I would like to buy Tata Harrier for everyday use & Gyspy can be used for those wild weekend hiking/camping trips somewhere in the mountains where regular vehicles will just not cut it.

Quote:
Who knows, you might see my drive up in it, to your side of the country one of these years.
I will absolutely look forward to that. I would need a few months' notice though so that I can plan accordingly. Maybe Deepak can join you as well.

Meanwhile as they say here; Keep Truckin'...
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 09:38   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Vikram,
Cheers,
Deepak
Hi,

Just wanted to know, where you got it done in Bangalore? Also, if you could also shed some light on the overall cost. Any reasons for going for OME rather than Ironman?

Thanks,
James
Old 16th October 2020, 10:45   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to know, where you got it done in Bangalore? Also, if you could also shed some light on the overall cost. Any reasons for going for OME rather than Ironman?

Thanks,
James
You can buy it from SwastikFabs or Ozone.
You can get it installed at your mechanic or at the authorised service center too.
The total cost came to roughly 76K including installation roughly 2 years back.
I've read/heard that OME offered marginally better ride on the Gypsy than Ironman and hence, went with OME.
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 02:03   #314
BHPian

Hello Deepak,

Hope you & your family are doing well and staying safe.

It's been quite a while since I have seen any post/update on any of the Gypsy threads so I started going through the old Gypsy ownership threads.

I understand new Mahindra Thar is the new kid on the block and understandably Thar's thread is witnessing all the action which is quite alright.

You see I'm trying to live vicariously as it's been 16 months since I've seen my own car. These are tough times and my travel to India is long overdue so anxiously waiting for things to quieten down before I can hope to travel again.

I wanted to ask you how are you doing and how's the Gypsy? How many kilometers have you logged till now and any maintenance/upgradation details that you can share? Last I remember you had upgraded to Old Man Emu suspension set up which in my view is quite an upgrade. A month ago, I had made a couple of calls to ARB's distributor in Bangalore and found out that they're facing a stock out on account of the current situation. Well, anyway I'm not even in the country so it does not really matter.

Chime in with a few pictures & that'll do for now .

Cheers!
Old 7th June 2021, 08:26   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Deepak,

Hope you & your family are doing well and staying safe.

It's been quite a while since I have seen any post/update on any of the Gypsy threads so I started going through the old Gypsy ownership threads.
Dear Vikram,
We are all doing fine. Hope, the same at your end.
Due to the pandemic, the cars are just stored away in the garage and have not seen much of sun in the last year. Hence, no updates on the thread.

Quote:
I wanted to ask you how are you doing and how's the Gypsy? How many kilometers have you logged till now and any maintenance/upgradation details that you can share? Last I remember you had upgraded to Old Man Emu suspension set up which in my view is quite an upgrade. A month ago, I had made a couple of calls to ARB's distributor in Bangalore and found out that they're facing a stock out on account of the current situation. Well, anyway I'm not even in the country so it does not really matter.

Chime in with a few pictures & that'll do for now .
Gypsy is doing great. It is close to 3 years old now and has less than 6K clicks on the odo.
The OME suspension has really improved the ride quality on the Gypsy. I went ahead with a OME suspension upgrade on my Fortuner too

On the Gypsy, i have a couple of things changed.
I ordered a couple of half-tops from armoro and have been using them.
Additionally, i got an MGP tow hitch and had it installed on the Gypsy.
This is how she looks

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-img_4237.jpg

That is all for now
Cheers
starter is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks