Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 08:28   #166
BHPian

Never found so many gypsy lovers under one roof!Keep it going wild ones!
Old 5th March 2010, 09:14   #167
BHPian

Good to find so many gypsy fans in one place! Is the gypsy's 4x4 engageable on the move or do you have to come to a dead stop before engaging it, a la CJ-3B?
Old 5th March 2010, 10:31   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonziibuddy View Post
I need advise on choice of tyres in my new gypsy
I have posted my queries in the 4x4 section, tyres rims threads.
Very sorry for the delay in replying to this thread guys. Forgot to check this thread.

Bonzii, You could choose between BFGs and Yokos. BFGs are a bit on the harder side and Yokos are the best of both worlds (on & off-road manners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire View Post
Guys - apologies for the high-jack - but a quick intro before I get assimilated into this forum.
livewire, welcome aboard! Nice to hear from another Gypsy fan. It is no problem for me if you post on this thread.
Quote:
a proud owner of a spanking new Gyspy King 1.3 4x4. Just got it yesterday and have nt been able to sleep since then. I have a couple of questions related to this thread and will share them once this post goes live. Till then keep revvin'. Cheerio
Congratulations on the new Gypsy. Please post some pictures of your Gypsy. Our eyes never get bored to see Gypsy pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Great to see this thread...read every single post in it.
I will be booking my Gypsy king on Tuesday.
Hey Guru,
Thanks for reading up my thread. Hope, you get your Gypsy soon.
Quote:
1. Is there a power-output difference between the Esteem and Gypsy running the same engines. If so - is the ECU a direct swap between the two vehicles?
Power output wise, i am not sure. But the gearing is definitely different and hence you would find a difference between the two. Regarding the ECU swap, i am not sure. Maybe you can check this with other members who have knowledge on this.
Quote:
2. What is the power output gain moving from the Carb to MPFI?
Should be about 15 to 20 BHP. Maybe, a Carb Gypsy owner can confirm.
Quote:
3. Is there any noticeable difference in handling between the soft-top and hard-top versions? Please elaborate.
No, at the speed in which i drive (80 kmph max), i did not find any difference. The soft-top flutter sound is definitely not there in the hard-top. But sometimes i wonder, what is the point buying a Gypsy and is not a soft-top. Why i bought a hard-top is another story altogether
Quote:
4. How can I secure a soft/hard top Gypsy and stop the thugs (a.k.a politicians) in UP/Bihar from enjoying the fruits of my labor?
As i mentioned somewhere earlier, locks are for gentlemen. Any car, for that matter can be stolen. Gypsies would be a bit too easy. You could buy these Gear Locks and get them installed. I don't have any on my Gypsy.
Quote:
5. I am a tall guy at 6'3" and I'd like to make a few comfort modifications. Please recommend a decent, hardworking and knowledgeable engineer/mechanic who can carry out these mods to exacting standards. I am happy to pay for quality.
If you are in Bangalore, i could've checked with members like Swastikviji or Khan_Sultan and given you some pointers. In Bombay, maybe you can check with Xtreme_Power or GTO or Tejas for help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Good to find so many gypsy fans in one place! Is the gypsy's 4x4 engageable on the move or do you have to come to a dead stop before engaging it, a la CJ-3B?
Hey Windiesel,
Thanks a lot! As far as the manual says, yes, it is possible to shift to 4wd in a Gypsy on the fly.

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: My Gypsy has done 4400 kms now. Will update the thread with my ownership experience once it completes 5000 kms and the second service.

Last edited by starter : 5th March 2010 at 10:33.
Old 6th March 2010, 13:00   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
It is Sunday morning and everybody were ready and waiting to bring the KING home. Me and wifey leave home at 7.30 in a rick to the showroom and reach Sagar by 8AM. Although Sunday was a holiday for the showroom, the care taker was already there in the showroom, had kept the car ready and had parked it right in front of the showroom. Called up parents and told them that the car is ready. Parents and my sales advisor were at showroom by 8.45AM. Thanked both, my sales advisor and care taker with a hug and gave them sweet boxes. Mom, in the navigator’s seat, my dad and wifey in the back, handed over the gate pass to the security guard and off, we left the showroom heading towards the Ganesha temple at Basavanagudi. Got blessings of Ganesha and reached home. Mom and wifey did aarthi to Gypsy and welcomed it home. So, that’s the story of my Gypsy coming home.

At the showroom, before the delivery, with mom and dad.
Attachment 226067

In the Ganesha temple at Basavanagudi
Attachment 226068

Mom and wifey doing Aarthi to Gypsy
Attachment 226069

Rear of the Gypsy. Team-BHP Sticker already on the car.
Attachment 226070

Side view of Gypsy.
Attachment 226071

Another view from behind.
Attachment 226073

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak

To be contd.... (Accessories and stuff..)
hey starter -- are'nt those 215/75/r15's?? I got the same size on my new gypsy but the stepney cover does nt fit and the stepney wheel is a very very tight fit (the tyre is touching the body). How did you manage to get the stepney cover on?
Old 15th March 2010, 17:07   #170
BHPian

Deepak - Thanks to you - Am booking the red color Gypsy-soft top today. Thanks for that harvest Green picture of Gypsy. It just ticked us off. The guys have started from showroom to come to my office to get the booking amount. So in another hour, the pain and agony of wait would start. I hate this. Had to go through that for Gurkha, then Fortuner -6 months almost, and now Gypsy.

The delivery time being promised is 45 days, but they are saying they would get it in 30 days.

One quick last question - 215 or 235 tires for Gypsy?
Old 15th March 2010, 21:56   #171
BHPian

The guy did not come to collect the cheque. Now everyone is filling my head against Gypsy. The problem is not what I anticipated, but then everyone is throwing so many options - from tata xenon to Scorpio getaway.

Deepak would give you a call tomorrow to discuss few of the issues filled in my head by frnds around.
Old 24th March 2010, 02:31   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
In a Gypsy, you can shift to 4H on the fly. And to engage 4L, you have to bring it to stand-still and the steering at the centre.

There are four positions on 4X4 lever.
2H
4H
Neutral
4L

And neutral in not common as in normal gears. It is in between 4H and 4 L positions.

I think only 1st and 2nd gears in 4L have more torque than 1 gear in 4H in a Gypsy. Experts can shed more light on this aspect, I guess.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 24th March 2010 at 02:32.
Old 24th March 2010, 03:09   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
Deepak - Thanks to you - Am booking the red color Gypsy-soft top today. Thanks for that harvest Green picture of Gypsy. It just ticked us off. The guys have started from showroom to come to my office to get the booking amount. So in another hour, the pain and agony of wait would start. I hate this. Had to go through that for Gurkha, then Fortuner -6 months almost, and now Gypsy.

The delivery time being promised is 45 days, but they are saying they would get it in 30 days.

One quick last question - 215 or 235 tires for Gypsy?
1. Trust Maruti for their promises. And in case you need a lead in Maruti, pl feel free to pm me.

2. Nothing above 215 in a Gypsy. If you do more mud/tamac, than Yokohoma 215/70 is good option. And if you want some snow/gravel tyre, BFG is a good option. The profile is higher 215/75.

215/70 is much better as it is closest to stock and leaves a lot of room for articulation.

3. Just putting this link to make you guys drool. These are the ones Yokohama tried on 'Zero' car of SJOBA rally. They are awesome on Gravel. And their performance on tarmac is just beyond any other gravel tyre like BFG.
ADVAN A035 - Tyre for rally
They cost around 16k a piece. And the Japs were themselves there to monitor the perfomance. The profile is 215/70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
The guy did not come to collect the cheque. Now everyone is filling my head against Gypsy. The problem is not what I anticipated, but then everyone is throwing so many options - from tata xenon to Scorpio getaway.

Deepak would give you a call tomorrow to discuss few of the issues filled in my head by frnds around.
Don't even think of any other offroader. Xenon, Getaway and Fortuner (as sold in India, without diff locks) don't even come close.

In my view, after Gypsy there is Pajero and then Land Cruiser. Can't say much about Thar as I have not seen/driven it.

But I would still go for Gypsy even if the other options are affordable as I won't have the heart to throw the last two to each and every obstacle. Plus they are LWB's.

Pure offroading, nothing beats Gypsy, MM 550 and a CJ. Period.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 24th March 2010 at 03:18.
Old 8th April 2010, 18:45   #174
BHPian

Hi all... I have sold my Gypsy King recently, thanks to Team BHP site for listing my request in their classifieds... However, i am unable to delete my post. Can some moderator help??

Coming to the vehicle, I had to sell it due to multiple factors: Moving to Bangalore from Chennai, heavy family and financial pressures...

Whatever it was, its about 6 months I had it with me and I loved it. Unfortunately, my family is bent on comfort and luxury, while my interests are in off-road fun. So only an SUV can satisfy all of us I guess; though I wonder when...
Old 11th April 2010, 22:06   #175
BHPian

hey starter - howz it going with the Gypsy? Wanted to check if you've done any changes to the rear seats? Have you managed to get front-facing rear seats or are you still using stock?

Am looking for front-facing rear seats (in delhi) so any help is highly appreciated

cheerio
Old 12th April 2010, 09:34   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey starter - howz it going with the Gypsy? Wanted to check if you've done any changes to the rear seats? Have you managed to get front-facing rear seats or are you still using stock?

Am looking for front-facing rear seats (in delhi) so any help is highly appreciated

cheerio
Hey Kunal
the front facing rear seats are available in plenty in Mayapuri! It should cost you approx 3-4k including fitting, fabric, etc. This is provided that you do not trade in your old seats.
PM AshishB (teambhp) he bought one for his BUSHRANGER a couple of months back!!!
Old 12th April 2010, 12:01   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

cheerio
Dear Kunal,
Its going good with my Gypsy. Have just crossed 5000 clicks and has been through its second service.
Yes, i did change over to front facing rear seats. I had Shahnawaz's rear seats, to which i got some upholstery done and have got it fixed.
2 things that i want you to know:
  • I had to drill holes to fix these seats. New gypsies don't come with holes to fix these seats anymore.
  • Ingress and Egress isn't very easy. My parents bang their head almost everytime. So, i am planning to switch back to my old side seats and use the front facing ones only for long trips.
So, if you plan to go in for front facing seats, i go with Harjeev. Try to source the original Gypsy's front facing seats and get them fitted. If not, try to get 2 single front facing captain seats. It would make ingress and egress easy through the rear door. These are just my thoughts.

I'll try to post soon a detailed write up of my 5K kms experience and some pictures before i change it back to my original side seats.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 25th April 2010, 23:40   #178
Senior - BHPian

Hello Friends,
Gypsy has done 5700 kms now. Had left it for its regular second service at 4988 kms, couple of weeks back.
Issues that were addressed:
  • Water leakage inside the cabin
  • Slight increase in engine temperature while driving in the night
  • Replacing side seats by front facing seats
Post service, Gypsy definitely feels a lot more smoother. Engine feels more refined, a bit more rev-happy. Steering feels smoother. Suspension jolts have marginally reduced.

Regarding the issues that i had addressed, water leakage still remains. There is a leakage at the navigator side's foot well. I think the water seeps down from somewhere under the dashboard and gets collected at the footwell. The most irritating thing is that the carpet gets wet and it cannot be removed easily. So, drying it is a pain!

About the engine temperature, according to the service advisor, nothing wrong in the vehicle. So, i've left it as it is.

Thanks to Shan (khan_sultan) again for his Gypsy's front facing seats. I finally got it fixed. Got some upholstery work done with new seat covers for all the seats. Although, they are 100 times more comfortable than the side seats, getting in and out within city is a big pain! My parents bang their head almost everytime. So, the current idea is to keep the side seats on always and replace them with front facing seats only for long trips.

Here are some pictures that i clicked today, after a clean wash.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-003.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-004.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-007.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-011.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-022.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-024.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-026.jpg

Here are some pictures of the front facing rear seats.

This is the boot space one gets after installing front facing rear seats.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-012.jpg

No problems with the rear-view mirror because of these seats.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-014.jpg

Front facing rear seats.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-016.jpg

Positioned the rear seats such that there is ample leg room and is not "wind on the face" feeling when the rear windows are open
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-018.jpg

This is the space that one has to get in/out.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-017.jpg

Front seats with the new seat covers.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-deepu-019.jpg

I need to address the water leakage issue immediately. Will keep everybody updated on the progress.
That is the update for now.

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Seat cover selection and the upholstery work is all done by my service advisors @ Suraksha. All credits go to them!

Last edited by starter : 25th April 2010 at 23:46.
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2010, 23:57   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hello Friends,
Gypsy has done 5700 kms now. Had left it for its regular second service at 4988 kms, couple of weeks back.
Issues that were addressed:
  • Water leakage inside the cabin
  • Slight increase in engine temperature while driving in the night
  • Replacing side seats by front facing seats
Post service, Gypsy definitely feels a lot more smoother. Engine feels more refined, a bit more rev-happy. Steering feels smoother. Suspension jolts have marginally reduced.

Regarding the issues that i had addressed, water leakage still remains. There is a leakage at the navigator side's foot well. I think the water seeps down from somewhere under the dashboard and gets collected at the footwell. The most irritating thing is that the carpet gets wet and it cannot be removed easily. So, drying it is a pain!

About the engine temperature, according to the service advisor, nothing wrong in the vehicle. So, i've left it as it is.

Thanks to Shan (khan_sultan) again for his Gypsy's front facing seats. I finally got it fixed. Got some upholstery work done with new seat covers for all the seats. Although, they are 100 times more comfortable than the side seats, getting in and out within city is a big pain! My parents bang their head almost everytime. So, the current idea is to keep the side seats on always and replace them with front facing seats only for long trips.

Here are some pictures that i clicked today, after a clean wash.
Attachment 337828

Attachment 337829

Attachment 337830

Attachment 337831

Attachment 337838

Attachment 337839

Attachment 337840

Here are some pictures of the front facing rear seats.

This is the boot space one gets after installing front facing rear seats.
Attachment 337832

No problems with the rear-view mirror because of these seats.
Attachment 337833

Front facing rear seats.
Attachment 337834

Positioned the rear seats such that there is ample leg room and is not "wind on the face" feeling when the rear windows are open
Attachment 337836

This is the space that one has to get in/out.
Attachment 337835

Front seats with the new seat covers.
Attachment 337837

I need to address the water leakage issue immediately. Will keep everybody updated on the progress.
That is the update for now.

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Seat cover selection and the upholstery work is all done by my service advisors @ Suraksha. All credits go to them!
Hey - the front facing rear bench looks really comfy. I've got a similar one fabricated back here in delhi - but its strictly ok. This one looke better than what i've got. I know getting in and out is a tad difficult, but its something that one can live with. So gentlemen, any ideas where can I get my hands on such a seat in delhi are welcome.

I've heard the water leakage is a standard issue with the hard top. Silicon fillers are helpfule but you'll have to take out the hard top for that. Also the water leaks from the recess between the door and wind screen frame (where you will see a tacky piece of sponge stuck) try getting a silicon filling there..wont stop it, but will defi reduce the water seepage.

cheerio
Old 26th April 2010, 00:03   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey Kunal
the front facing rear seats are available in plenty in Mayapuri! It should cost you approx 3-4k including fitting, fabric, etc. This is provided that you do not trade in your old seats.
PM AshishB (teambhp) he bought one for his BUSHRANGER a couple of months back!!!
hey harjeev - thanks for the feedback ..but had heard that the mayapuri seats are strictly ok...got mine done from one of the guys whos a gypsy specialist - but his wor has tuned out to be ok types. But anyways, am gonna go and check out whats available in mayapuri. Hope dont get any radiation laden seats : )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks