Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2009, 17:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Deepak,
Great first photos of your Gypsy! Remember the first time I caught a glimpse of my ride, all red and was being given a wash!
Dear Suresh,
That is exactly what i was going through. It felt great to see it the first time, more so, because I had never seen a (red) Gypsy in real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Good colour choice,
A decision of the heart
OTR Price and Interior snaps next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Congrates Starter, youve made a bold decision. And it looks real hot in that red! Enjoy your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition, Some more pics please...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh_sg View Post
Deepak,
Congrats on making your childhood dream come true!!!
Rajesh
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Congratulations
Pls post few more pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Starter,
A few more pics would be really appreciated & whats the on-road price ??
Dear ACM, CoolFire, Latheesh, Rajesh, Raj, Maglev,
Thanks. I shall post more pictures tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
Congrats on the Gypsy, Starter. I've owned two of them before but recently tried driving one- let's just say, it was different. Now am too spoilt by power steering, power windows, ac etc.. Coz of the leaf springs, it's really bouncy on good, paved roads, but give it a dirt road and steep inclines, nothing (except maybe the Pajero and the short wheelbase Jeep) will come close.
Thanks for your message Puffdamgcdragon. I was also one of them too, who was spoilt by creature comforts. It definitely took some time for me to get adjusted to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats on your new ride dude and a nice write up too!!!

Looks great in Red! Do they they also sell maroon, but red look stunningly good!!!

May the 4's be with you, always!!!
Hey Harjeev,
Thanks a lot buddy. No, they don't sell one in Maroon.
Thanks for your wishes. If you were somewhere here or if i was somewhere up north, i would've showed it to you in real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on your new Gypsy dude, though I have seen it in flesh, would love to see a few more pics online.. looks flamboyant in red
Thanks Dev. It was really nice meeting you. We'll definitely catch up again. Will surely post more pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
It looks RED hot. Green color was not displayed online, is the color available? Love the green one.

AC: You can get an after market Sunden brand,proved to be working well. Remember to upgrade to a bigger radiator to avoid overheating. A copper radiator will do the job or install a additional fan to the radiator, that would be more economical.
But if you are going to use as hardcore machine then AC is not necessary. Spend that money on CFL, will definitely improve the ride quality.
Dear Ram.
Thanks for your message.
Yes, Green seems to be available. Atleast, that is what i've heard from people working at Maruti. Thanks for all the information about AC. Will definitely keep it in mind. Am just waiting for the warranty period to get over. Planning to get both, AC as well as CFLs Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
That machine looks pure pleasure and fun, Congrats man, it doesn't get any better than this.
Thanks for your message Bharat.
Old 10th November 2009, 19:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

We want more pictures. Guess there are a lot of people on this forum who want to do what you have done, but apprehensions about lot of things won't let us() do the same.
Old 10th November 2009, 23:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

Part 5: The longest Saturday (Day before the delivery)

As said in my earlier post, I was at the showroom by 8.30AM to see my car. I was unable to see it in the showroom. Since it was just 8.30, there was nobody in the showroom yet. So, enquired with the security guard and he immediately tells me that it is in the terrace and tells me that it came to the showroom late in the evening. I take the lift and reach the terrace to see that there are 3 people sitting in the car and one moron driving it on the terrace. When I ask him why he is driving the car, he has no answer and in return asks me who I am. I tell him that it is my car and everybody start looking at each other. I call up my sales advisor and he says he doesn’t know about it. I ask this guy to park the vehicle back at its place and on trying to park it, he stalls the vehicle about 5 times. I run out of patience and ask him to get out of the vehicle. While getting out of the vehicle, he starts fiddling with the car’s low ratio lever. I tell him again to get out of the vehicle and he just steps out. I park the car at a corner and sit in the car till my sales advisor reaches the showroom.

Looking at all this, I wasn’t comfortable leaving the car in the showroom. Mom wasn’t ok with me taking the delivery of the vehicle on a Saturday. Was wondering what to do and my sales advisor reached showroom and came over to the terrace. I spoke to him about this and he told me that he’ll make sure that nobody would drive the car. He introduced me to a person, who basically got the car from the railway station to the showroom the previous day. Spoke to him about my concern and he promised that he would take care of the car till I take the delivery of the vehicle. I gave him the keys and came down to the showroom with my sales advisor to complete the formalities. The total price for my Gypsy Hard Top was 6.2 lakhs (without the extended warranty). It is another 3K extra for the extended warranty and my sales advisor said that it isn't necessary. Absolutely NO freebies. There is no carpet after the driver's cabin!

Now coming to the first change in the car, I wanted to change the OEM tyres with either BFGs or Yokos. Had done some research about both the tyres in the previous weekends. Had a rough idea on the price and also realized that BFGs are not easily available. Spoke to my sales advisor after completing all the formalities about the tyres. He introduced me to the person in charge of the accessories department. Another nice person again, spoke to the tyre expert at Sagar to confirm if the tyre size that am planning to upgrade is ok. Once confirmed, he checked with his contacts and quoted a price of 23K for a set of 5. For the OEM tyres, he offered me 11K. All of this was done by around 12PM. The tyre guy was supposed to reach the showroom with tyres by 1PM but he reached only at around 2.30. The tyre guy comes with only 4 tyres and says that the fifth tyre would take some time. I wasn’t ok with it but this person in the accessories department assured me that he would get me the fifth tyre in a week. Car went for a quick shower before the shoe change. I finally saw the car with its new shoes and all clean by around 6PM. Standing the whole day, with no food since morning, I was terribly tired. But, seeing my Gypsy was definitely worth all that effort. Bid goodbye to my sales advisor and my car’s care taker and of course to Gypsy and headed back home in my bullet.

PIC1: Gypsy after a shower, with new shoes (BF Goodrich 215,75 R15)PIC2: Another picture of how he looked before the shoe change

@Everybody: Shall keep posting pictures Because of rains in Bangalore and taking it on roads everyday for a 60km roundtrip, its become very dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_03.jpg  

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_02.jpg  

Last edited by starter : 10th November 2009 at 23:22.
Old 11th November 2009, 09:11   #49
Senior - BHPian

beautiful, how about the side pics with the new tyre. Are those AT tyres?

And how is drive experience from Fusion to Gypsy. How much do you miss PS, rest all like PW etc may not pinch much
Old 11th November 2009, 09:17   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Hey Harjeev,
Thanks a lot buddy. No, they don't sell one in Maroon.
Thanks for your wishes. If you were somewhere here or if i was somewhere up north, i would've showed it to you in real.
Buddy you're most welcome!!! and many thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it!!!
Its fellow jeepers like you who really inspire me to go out there and buy a Gypsy!!! And thats exactly what Ill do maybe in the next year or so!!!

After the jeeps etc I am really inclined towards buying a MG413 (MPFI)
I want to prepare it rally type with all the performance mods(air intakes, freeflow exhausts, etc) and fixed fiber cabin, aircon and all!!! But before I do that I really wanna replenish my depleting vitamin 'M'!!!

But after restoring a two army disposals, I think and I've learnt a new vehicle is a new vehicle!!
Infact a new jeep/ gypsy is better than a used civilian jeep/ gypsy and a civilian is better ANYDAY than a Army disposal!!!
So for me it would either be a new Gyspy or a used Civilian!!!

So CONGRATS again for taking the correct step!!! I know you will cherish it for a long time!!!
Old 11th November 2009, 10:11   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
@Everybody: Shall keep posting pictures Because of rains in Bangalore and taking it on roads everyday for a 60km roundtrip, its become very dirty.
For a Gypsy, dirtier the better! As old man said i think we all need to check your Gypsy out in person soon.
Old 11th November 2009, 11:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
beautiful, how about the side pics with the new tyre. Are those AT tyres?

And how is drive experience from Fusion to Gypsy. How much do you miss PS, rest all like PW etc may not pinch much
Dear Bharat,
Will definitely post more pics, maybe tonight.
Yes, the tyres are AT.
Drive experience cannot be compared at all. Fusion would feel like heaven. Why Fusion, my wife's Alto feels like heaven
Fusion used to behave very well, so not much drama when you are driving it. But, with Gypsy, it is different. Unless i have to drive it in too much traffic, if given a choice, i would always pick Gypsy.
Power steering, you'll miss it only when you are turning the car when its not moving (parking or changing lanes in bumper-to-bumper traffic). Once the car's rolling, you wouldn't miss it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Buddy you're most welcome!!! and many thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it!!!
Its fellow jeepers like you who really inspire me to go out there and buy a Gypsy!!! And thats exactly what Ill do maybe in the next year or so!!!

Infact a new jeep/ gypsy is better than a used civilian jeep/ gypsy and a civilian is better ANYDAY than a Army disposal!!!
So for me it would either be a new Gyspy or a used Civilian!!!
Dear Harjeev,
I still love your 1985 CJ3B
Very true about army jeeps. You need to be lucky to get a considerably good vehicle and you need to have access to genuine mechanics to bring it back to shape. I wish you all luck in building your rally prepped Gypsy Harjeev. I shall also keep a watch here, if i find a neat vehicle, i shall keep you informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For a Gypsy, dirtier the better! As old man said i think we all need to check your Gypsy out in person soon.
Hey Jaggu,
Sure, you are most welcome. I would love to meet you all.
I shall ping you also, my contact number.
Maybe, we three could meet up for a coffee or something over the weekend. I could call you and Rudra on Friday evening and we could fix up a time. I shall definitely post some pics tonight Jaggu.

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak
Old 11th November 2009, 20:12   #53
Senior - BHPian

Part 6: Delivery Day!

It is Sunday morning and everybody were ready and waiting to bring the KING home. Me and wifey leave home at 7.30 in a rick to the showroom and reach Sagar by 8AM. Although Sunday was a holiday for the showroom, the care taker was already there in the showroom, had kept the car ready and had parked it right in front of the showroom. Called up parents and told them that the car is ready. Parents and my sales advisor were at showroom by 8.45AM. Thanked both, my sales advisor and care taker with a hug and gave them sweet boxes. Mom, in the navigator’s seat, my dad and wifey in the back, handed over the gate pass to the security guard and off, we left the showroom heading towards the Ganesha temple at Basavanagudi. Got blessings of Ganesha and reached home. Mom and wifey did aarthi to Gypsy and welcomed it home. So, that’s the story of my Gypsy coming home.

At the showroom, before the delivery, with mom and dad.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_04.jpg

In the Ganesha temple at Basavanagudi
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_05.jpg

Mom and wifey doing Aarthi to Gypsy
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_06.jpg

Rear of the Gypsy. Team-BHP Sticker already on the car.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_07.jpg

Side view of Gypsy.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_08.jpg

Another view from behind.
Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-maruti_gypsy_09.jpg

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak

To be contd.... (Accessories and stuff..)
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2009, 21:03   #54
BHPian

Congrats!
Absolute Drool material.Nice color combination.When are the CFLs goin in?
Any plans for OTRs?

@Rudra Sir & Jaggu
We can as well take this ride to the place I had mentioned.The road is absolutely perfect after our last spot!
Old 12th November 2009, 02:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi,first a hearty congratulations for getting the king!.I have been following your thread with abated interest for the past few days.brilliant write up.The gypsy looks absolutely butch with those new tyres.

Sorry for going OT.i study at BMS college.From your post i gathered you live nearby?
Old 12th November 2009, 07:17   #56
BHPian

Deepak,

Your Gypsy looks awesome. Please post some interior pics. Planning to make my dream of owning a Gypsy come true by early next year.

Rajesh
Old 12th November 2009, 07:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

@ Starter: Have you enquired about AC fitment in the Gypsy?

Also what is the kind of FE you are getting ?
Old 12th November 2009, 08:35   #58
BANNED

Looks really cool man, the Gypsy has always been one of my dream vehicles and nothing can substitute it.
A few questions though:
What was the feedback about the ride at the rear seat, in case there was any?
What is the FE you have been getting so far? I know it will improve with running in but just a ball park figure?
How do you feel while driving it in the city in terms of handling, ride and steering?

And last but not the least, When are you posting the interior and engine pics??!!!
Old 12th November 2009, 09:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

If you are going to use this as a daily drive, first thing is to go for
Power steering, shall be more useful for city drive with up sized tires and upgrade to only CFL's at the rear. If budget is a constraint toss a sand bag at the rear that would make a comfortable ride..
Go for FFE. that make it little powerful.This will never set you back much.

Kindly remove the no. plate at the rear and place it at the rear door next to the spare wheel by removing the rear decals. while doing OTR's that will get in touch while in departure. Go for HSR no plate.
I personally hate the Maruti "M" at the front, can also be replaced with "S".Will sit exactly in the socket. This is completely personal though.
BTW where do you stay in B'lore? Wanna see the ride.
Love the BFG than yoko, don't know why. looks good with them. Seems to be you have tinted, what brand?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 12th November 2009 at 09:46.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:52   #60
BANNED

Starter,

congratulations firstly.

Wonderful color, and i know how happy someone feels to live his Dreams.

Congrats once again, Have a looooooong term Happy relationship with your new Ride.

We expect some more nice photos.

Most Viewed