Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2009, 13:48   #106
Senior - BHPian

@starter, install the rain deflector thingies on both windows, that will take care of the rain getting inside the car, it is almost a must for the Gypsy.
Old 18th November 2009, 15:33   #107
Team-BHP Support

@starter: Oh i forgot you have blocked the outside air intake grill on your car, using re-circulation is not going to help much!

Get the window sun/rain shades, this will allow you to keep the front door window's down by 2 inches or so. Shouldnt be very expensive and can be installed in 10 minutes.
Old 18th November 2009, 17:17   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...Get the window sun/rain shades, this will allow you to keep the front door window's down by 2 inches or so. Shouldnt be very expensive and can be installed in 10 minutes.
And these will come out in 1 OTR that has bushes/trees . Last week OTR's had people losing their mirrors left right and center.
Old 18th November 2009, 18:13   #109
Team-BHP Support

He is planning to stay as far as possible from crazy mud slinging guys like you and interested in heading to the hills!

Easy to remove these things (unless screwed in), usually sits under the window run's. So just pluck it out if going for OTR's.
Old 18th November 2009, 18:21   #110
Senior - BHPian

In a separate thread, I was advised to take the doors off for OTR, to see exactly where the wheels are tracking, so a little thing like this should be easy!
Old 18th November 2009, 22:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
And these will come out in 1 OTR that has bushes/trees . Last week OTR's had people losing their mirrors left right and center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
He is planning to stay as far as possible from crazy mud slinging guys like you and interested in heading to the hills!

Easy to remove these things (unless screwed in), usually sits under the window run's. So just pluck it out if going for OTR's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
In a separate thread, I was advised to take the doors off for OTR, to see exactly where the wheels are tracking, so a little thing like this should be easy!
My godtch! You really know me Jaggu..
Am **** scared to take this new one to these OTRs where Khan & Co. head during weekends. I badly have to do this ice breaking, but am unable to find such a soft OTR trail where i could go and learn a little bit. I could go in search of some myself, but its always better to go with atleast one other vehicle which could get me out, if am stuck (which is mostly the case, i think).
@Sawyer: I've seen one Gypsy here in Bangalore. I think it belongs to Mukund. He too had removed the doors on his Gypsy and the windshield was down. Am sure, seat belts would helo here..
Old 19th November 2009, 06:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
but its always better to go with atleast one other vehicle which could get me out, if am stuck (which is mostly the case, i think).
Its not just the getting stuck part, you also need to get the confidence of knowing where the car can go, and the lines to take over the kind of sections you may have never taken one before. It might be useful to be behind a car that is not too different from stock in terms of its ground clearance. I benefited greatly from this kind of support from satan last Sunday.
Old 20th November 2009, 18:16   #113
BHPian

Congrats

Congrats Starter on your new baby. I know that feeling well . Its called Trepiditation . But once you know what the Gypsy is capable doing off road, its hard to resist that temptation every time you see an opportunity to leave civilisation and head into the bush to make your own road.
Quote:
My godtch! You really know me Jaggu..
Am **** scared to take this new one to these OTRs where Khan & Co. head during weekends. I badly have to do this ice breaking, but am unable to find such a soft OTR trail where i could go and learn a little bit. I could go in search of some myself, but its always better to go with atleast one other vehicle which could get me out, if am stuck (which is mostly the case, i think).
@Sawyer: I've seen one Gypsy here in Bangalore. I think it belongs to Mukund. He too had removed the doors on his Gypsy and the windshield was down. Am sure, seat belts would helo here..
Old 20th November 2009, 18:54   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...I could go in search of some myself, but its always better to go with atleast one other vehicle which could get me out, if am stuck...
Quote:
Its not just the getting stuck part, you also need to get the confidence of knowing where the car can go, and the lines to take over the kind of sections you may have never taken one before. It might be useful to be behind a car that is not too different from stock in terms of its ground clearance. I benefited greatly from this kind of support from satan last Sunday.
+1 (A BIG ONE) for the advice given by Sawyer.

Never go alone off the track, please.
Old 20th November 2009, 23:19   #115
BHPian

This thread has made it to the home page of Team-bhp. Starter, I think you are starting something: may be in some time you will receive a special thank you note from Maruti.

May the Gypsy bug bite more and more.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 20th November 2009 at 23:21.
Old 21st November 2009, 09:43   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
may be in some time you will receive a special thank you note from Maruti.

Somehow, I doubt this, seeing the manner in which potential Gypsy customers are treated! Having said this, I did get my car in just a month, but after the usual color availability confusion, and a couple of untreated blemishes that I was ok to ignore, considering the nature of the car.
Akin to how Bullet customers are treated in places - I remember being so turned off a couple of years ago at a Pune outlet that looked like an old time cycle shop that I almost gave up on fulfilling that dream till I found another outlet that looked a lot more cheerful and with a enthusiastic salesman. No regrets on that one since then, though the new 500 classic is a temptation!

Last edited by Sawyer : 21st November 2009 at 09:48.
Old 21st November 2009, 15:02   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
+1 (A BIG ONE) for the advice given by Sawyer.

Never go alone off the track, please.
Hey Sawyer and Suresh,
Yes Sir, I shall not venture into any trails alone. Very true Sawyer, about having a similar vehicle leading me. I did read your thread and it is great to know that you got to learn so much. Thanks for sharing that experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
Congrats Starter on your new baby. I know that feeling well . Its called Trepiditation . But once you know what the Gypsy is capable doing off road, its hard to resist that temptation every time you see an opportunity to leave civilisation and head into the bush to make your own road.
Dear Ketla Sir,
Thank you very much for your wishes.
We've all enjoyed your pictures of Goan vehicles and those trails.
I would love to explore the unexplored. Will keep you all updated with my baby steps towards this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
This thread has made it to the home page of Team-bhp. Starter, I think you are starting something: may be in some time you will receive a special thank you note from Maruti.

Thanks Wanderhermit. That's a sweet surprise. I wouldn't have noticed it at all if you hadn't told me. Thanks. Honestly, i am more than happy that atleast Maruti still delivers Gypsies for those who really want to own one. I tried really hard to get a new 550 but in vain. Murphy's law, i guess.. As soon as i bought my Gypsy, rumours on Thar has gone STRONG I am super happy, at least i got my Gypsy.

Quote:
Somehow, I doubt this, seeing the manner in which potential Gypsy customers are treated! Having said this, I did get my car in just a month, but after the usual color availability confusion, and a couple of untreated blemishes that I was ok to ignore, considering the nature of the car.
Akin to how Bullet customers are treated in places - I remember being so turned off a couple of years ago at a Pune outlet that looked like an old time cycle shop that I almost gave up on fulfilling that dream till I found another outlet that looked a lot more cheerful and with a enthusiastic salesman. No regrets on that one since then, though the new 500 classic is a temptation!
Hey Sawyer Sir,
So, you also own a Bullet, uh? That explains, i think
My experience with buying a bullet wasn't too bad, probably because, i purchased it from Royal Enfield Brand Store. It seems, this is a showroom owned by RE themselves. I guess, such a showroom from Maruti directly might improve the situation. You are damn right about the new 500 classic. Mouth watering indeed.

Thanks Everybody and to Team-BHP for putting this thread on the top-10 hot thread list.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 21st November 2009, 19:25   #118
BHPian

Congrats, some guys Just Do it, others keep dreaming! Pray, why doesn't MUL launch the Gypsy with a Fiat 1.3 MJD and (the now) basic necessities like A/C and PS? could fill the niche for a compact diesel off roader. Have you tried it yet through slush and all with the 4x4 engaged?
Old 21st November 2009, 22:19   #119
~~h
BHPian

Did (new)Gypsies always came with Maruti logo on the grill ? I could see the provisioning done for a Suzuki logo.
Old 22nd November 2009, 09:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Congrats, some guys Just Do it, others keep dreaming! Pray, why doesn't MUL launch the Gypsy with a Fiat 1.3 MJD and (the now) basic necessities like A/C and PS? could fill the niche for a compact diesel off roader. Have you tried it yet through slush and all with the 4x4 engaged?
Thanks Windiesel. Very true about your statement on a diesel off roader from MUL. GTO has also mentioned this a lot of times, but is MUL listening, i don't think so. Most importantly, MUL has kept Gypsy alive only because of the demand by the Indian Army. As long as they don't ask for a diesel (or for any addition/improvement), MUL would not change anything in Gypsy.

I've engaged 4H a couple of times. Last week, it was raining pretty heavily in B'lore. The main road in front of my office was totally clogged due to traffic. So, I decided to take the (mud)road behind my office. Because of the rain, that road had become very slushy. After about 200 metres, Gypsy got stuck there. The rear wheels were spinning but was not getting out. That was when i realized what a 4 wheel drive is. Just switched to 4H, and started again. I stalled the engine the first time. Tried again and within a couple of seconds, Gypsy started moving. I immediately switched it back to 2H and continued driving home. God, i was grinning ear to ear My experience with 4X4 was only limited to such. Nothing major yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~h View Post
Did (new)Gypsies always came with Maruti logo on the grill ? I could see the provisioning done for a Suzuki logo.
Hi H,
Not sure, even i remember seeing some Gypsies with the Suzuki logo instead of Maruti. Not sure if this was OEM or an after market job. The entire grill is plastic. So, if one doesn't like it, he could replace it with a Suzuki one. I am sure, they are available.

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 22nd November 2009 at 09:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks