Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 15:01   #151
BHPian

Nice and detailed thread. Good review as well. Could you please post some interior pictures as well the complete dashboard assembly etc. Have you changed the seat covers?
Old 30th December 2009, 17:46   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Nice and detailed thread. Good review as well. Could you please post some interior pictures as well the complete dashboard assembly etc. Have you changed the seat covers?
Dear Jaisha,
Thanks. Will definitely post more pictures of the interiors by end of week.
No, i haven't changed the seat covers. Since mine is a hard-top, i got fabric seats. If you buy a soft top, you would get PVC seats.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 6th January 2010, 09:35   #153
BHPian

Ownership experience (as promised earlier): After the vehicle was bought, I called the 9 year depreciation as “appreciation” for the reliability of the Gypsy and the way it was maintained.

As I sat in the Gypsy for the first time as the new owner and I could feel my pulse which was beating faster than the vehicles’ engine. With pride in my heart and a feeling which was a cross between satisfaction and achievement, I began my journey to Chennai (from Coimbatore).

Ownership review – Gypsy MG 413 Y2K model:

If you have been a car driver till date, you would love the higher seating position of the Gypsy, which gives you all round visibility and command over the lesser mortals and their cars.

The below lines are purely my thoughts/ feelings based on my experience:
The Gypsy has its own charm and each Gypsy throws an attitude and the character of its owner. However, you must be prepared to take it on and I hope my few write up helps, incase you don’t own one…

The gear lever would look like Maruti did an after-production fitment. The 4wd lever took its place instead. It would take you a few days to get the hang of the neutral position. The 3 pedals aren’t aligned like a car; the brake and the clutch are closer to you than the accelerator. You would find them during normal conditions but you may search for the brake when you need it most.

The steering feels like you have grease under the wheel when the vehicle is in motion and is pretty vague. Its also a mobile gym when you try to turn when the vehicle is static. However, even if you move a 3-5 km/hr the steering is smooth and vague as usual. Mileage - 10 kmpl if you drive, for anything beyond that, push the vehicle.

The suspension system would make you wonder if Maruti forgot to install one in your vehicle or classified it as a value added product at additional cost! You may think that the tyre was riveted to the body like the VIP strolley! By chance if you go over 5 km/hr in our pothole/ speed-breaker dotted city, you will not feel the road for a few seconds as you would be air bourne; crash-landing a few feet away would prompt you to check the discs on your back. Maybe the army specified to Maruti “strictly no creature comforts for our jawans”. Definitive mods needed in this department – part of my next project. Need to try out the gas shocks or the carbon fiber ones.

Turning radius: Does it ever complete a full circle within the boundaries of the world? May be a good idea to borrow some soil from Mars to complete... If you find a tight parking slot where an Innova parked just left, move on to the next where a lorry just moved off. Friends, you would be shocked to know the space it needs to complete a 180 deg turn!!! For those looking to build their biceps– look out for tight parking lots in our cities with the Gypsy!!! Add the 235s (radials) and repeat the process for triceps and 6 packs.

Interiors: The dashboard shares the same plastic material used for 800s. A large steering wheel, bucket seats without headrests and no electronic gizmos would transport you to pre-independence era. You ofcourse get a free speedo/ odometer console as part of the package/ accessories.

Folks, this vehicle is not meant for a speed demon who loves to take corners on the apex (you would inch to reach 100 km/hr). There is not much fun the Gypsy gives you at high speeds. Rather its at speeds below 10 km/hr on 4wd on tricky terrains the vehicle lives your dream. Its not for a guy seeking luxury in every drive and certainly not for the faint hearted or the weakly built. Its built for mud, snow, sand, rocks, hill and all other places most cars dream to go. With this fact in mind, I am willing to ignore all other issues written above. Its mod friendly and can have an exclusive character the way you build it.

You would get a few stares which BMW owners would be jealous of. Let me divide the common (staring) man on road into two. One set who loves the Gypsy for its dominance, road presence, a symbol of power, a sense of style, for its sheer elegance, for its capabilities to go anywhere, or for its looks. The other set thinks it impractical and the owner is directly from a mental asylum. Either which ways, you would definitely get your share of stares; enough to bloat you ego with your priced possession, as you drive along.

My verdict: I have owned a Mahindra MM540 earlier and currently own a Maruti Esteem and this Gypsy. I find the Gypsy more practical than the Jeep I had earlier. Overlooking some of the issues, you still get to drive a decent and a refined version of a Jeep, which can do everything a Jeep has done or does, with the comforts of a car (well, almost). The product is highly reliable, maintaining the Maruti tradition. Plus there is a service backing of Maruti which saves lot of effort and stress in maintaining the vehicles’ fitness. A gypsy is also well suited for various mods and is friendly to customize. Go for it as your second car purely for its recreation value. You may, in the process realize your other dreams like wildlife photography or forest drives coming to life, breaking your monotonous life.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th January 2010 at 10:14. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors, also use Preview before Submit. Thanks
harishF1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2010, 13:25   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Ownership experience (as promised earlier): After the vehicle was bought, I called the 9 year depreciation as “appreciation” for the reliability of the Gypsy and the way it was maintained.
=============
A gypsy is also well suited for various mods and is friendly to customize. Go for it as your second car purely for its recreation value. You may, in the process realize your other dreams like wildlife photography or forest drives coming to life, breaking your monotonous life.
I love that harishF1.
A gypsy as a second car looks practical.
But for people like me who need one for their day to day commuting; a stock gypsy would be pushing it too far in Mumbai.
Customize it for a little more comfort. Hmmm..that should be an interesting exercise.
Keep posting your modification experiences; i would be glued to this thread.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd February 2010 at 13:04. Reason: Please avoid entire large post for a short reply. thanks
Old 6th January 2010, 17:12   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post

Ownership review – Gypsy MG 413 Y2K model:

Go for it as your second car purely for its recreation value. You may, in the process realize your other dreams like wildlife photography or forest drives coming to life, breaking your monotonous life.

Nicely written up review Harish !
Old 13th January 2010, 17:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy updates

Didnt want to take up another thread, so just a small hijack!
The Gypsy is back after its 5000 kms service and all it needed was for all the nuts/bolts to be tightened up and she is good as new. I got the oil/filter changed since my cars are on a twice in a year oil change regime and Jan/July works well, that way I don't have to track kms run etc.
I haven't done any mods other than the change to 205 sections Yokos and I am very happy with the set. They look like they will run and run....
Took a load of people in it to the Konkan coast just before X Mas, and they did wonders for the ride of the car! Nor were they uncomfortable as long as they sat within the two axles, and we had a blast. Indeed, it is actually a great picnic/outing car, as long as the heat is not too much, and for this time of the year, brilliant! Some of the rear pax were able to get some good pictures on the move, in the hills, from the rear of the car. And we were able to hold 90/100 easily on NH4/17 too.
Great car, I am glad I took the plunge at as late an age as mine!
Deepak, hows your car doing?

Last edited by Sawyer : 13th January 2010 at 18:02.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:50   #157

hi guys! Me too booked a KING !!!

Hi people!

Its an extreme pleasure to be a part of Team-BHP today!
I have been going through the sections, posts and threads for quite some time now, especially the Gypsy threads and more particularly this thread.
Team-BHP is definately a dream come true and i have explained why its a dream come true in my registration attempt. To add to it i am really happy to see such a quality concious site!
I am definately proud to be with all you hero's of indian auto!
To be very frank, this particular post inspired me to take the plunge and book a King!

I will keep you guys posted on
1. my reasons to join Team-BHP and how i felt on my registration been rejected once
2. What inspired me to book my King faster
3. My expierence in booking the King, colour etc and delivery dates! (i am from Pune) i hope you are reading this Sawyer!!! - i will love to hear from you and meet you if possible

Sorry moderaters if by any chance i have posted in the wrong thread. I have gone through all the Team-BHP rules and followed them i guess! It will take some time for me to understand how to write and upload pics

Kapil
Old 27th January 2010, 17:30   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The Gypsy is back after its 5000 kms service. Took a load of people in it to the Konkan coast just before X Mas, and they did wonders for the ride of the car
Hey Sawyer. Where the travellogue to this just before Christmas trip to the konkan? Have I missed it?
Old 29th January 2010, 08:25   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Hey Sawyer. Where the travellogue to this just before Christmas trip to the konkan? Have I missed it?
No, I did not post it. We went back to the same beach, Karde, so there did not seem to be anything to post. Had a great trip though. Including X mas turkey, duck, cheese and wine at Grapevine on the return leg.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:13   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonziibuddy View Post
Hi people!

Its an extreme pleasure to be a part of Team-BHP today!
I have been going through the sections, posts and threads for quite some time now, especially the Gypsy threads and more particularly this thread.
Team-BHP is definately a dream come true and i have explained why its a dream come true in my registration attempt. To add to it i am really happy to see such a quality concious site!
I am definately proud to be with all you hero's of indian auto!
To be very frank, this particular post inspired me to take the plunge and book a King!

I will keep you guys posted on
1. my reasons to join Team-BHP and how i felt on my registration been rejected once
2. What inspired me to book my King faster
3. My expierence in booking the King, colour etc and delivery dates! (i am from Pune) i hope you are reading this Sawyer!!! - i will love to hear from you and meet you if possible

Sorry moderaters if by any chance i have posted in the wrong thread. I have gone through all the Team-BHP rules and followed them i guess! It will take some time for me to understand how to write and upload pics

Kapil

Congratulation buddy.
From which delear in pune??
Can you please(If you dont mind) give some details about the deal.
One more T-Bhpian from PUNE.......
Old 1st February 2010, 10:05   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Congratulation buddy.
From which delear in pune??
Can you please(If you dont mind) give some details about the deal.
One more T-Bhpian from PUNE.......
Hi kalinga,
I took it from 'My Car' wakad, no deal on the gypsy
I had to make a down payment of 5.68 lac and the delivery of the king is on this 7th Feb ! I booked in on 21st and that time they promised me to give it in 10-15 days and that Maruti has a white King in stock , as usual there is lot of confusion when it comes to a Gypsy ! Finally after lots of follow up the phoned me yesterday and confirmed that the King is on his way from Gurgaon !

By the way, guys I had PMed Sawyer to which he replied quickly we exchanged numbers etc and yo last Sunday he invited me home to look at his King! I remember, when I told Sawyer that I booked a King, first thing he asked me is that have you driven it before booking ! Obviously I said No as I didn't know where and how to get a drive. He was kind enough to allow me to drive it ! To be frank enough I had done this booking ex-tempo without driving or even sitting inside ! What I expected was definately different then what I felt that moment.
Maybe it was my being used to my Luxurious Laura AT or that low seating in the gypsy and high steering wheel, alignment of accelerator or low turning radius!
Guys I was more nervous then confused, however as I convinced myself that i need to develop a habit and taste for this beauty and read all these wonderful posts again remembered my visit to Sawyer's home. He was such a gentleman and also a car enthusiast like me. I was spoilt by choice, luxury spoilt me.
Guys I am now going back to basics, and falling in love with the Gypsy all over again.
I visited poona motors again (vineet), he does all my cars. He took me to Sohail Bhai from Kondhwa who makes, breaks, rebirths, modifies, pampers and makes every jeep, car worth living !
He understood my requirements of keeping my king 10% off roading and 90% weekends pleasure vehicle, helped me with choosing a more luxury, less funky and more of a classy style for my king.

I will request SAWYER to visit this guy with me and he may like to do some minor modification to his Gypsy too !

Guys thank you and ill keep you all posted on my unique experience in getting the Gypsy home !

Kapil
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:25   #162

guys need advice - really fast!

guys

I need advise on choice of tyres in my new gypsy
I have posted my queries in the 4x4 section, tyres rims threads.

I request all of you to please see my post there and advice

Many thanks

Bonzii
Old 27th February 2010, 20:22   #163
BHPian

Guys - apologies for the high-jack - but a quick intro before I get assimilated into this forum. An auto and travel enthusiast, I have been bitten by the gyspy bug for as long as I can remember. Cut to circa 2009 when i finally decided to realise my dream. Then began the research and this is how I chanced on this forum. I am delighted to see the levels of enthusiasm, knowledge and sharing that happens on this forum. I have been able to know so much more about the gypsy than i ever knew.
So where did this lead me - a proud owner of a spanking new Gyspy King 1.3 4x4. Just got it yesterday and have nt been able to sleep since then. I have a couple of questions related to this thread and will share them once this post goes live. Till then keep revvin'. Cheerio
Old 28th February 2010, 16:40   #164
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Welcome aboard, Livewire. Best to create your own (new) ownership thread. We'll address your queries over there.
Old 28th February 2010, 17:52   #165
Senior - BHPian

Great to see this thread...read every single post in it.

I will be booking my Gypsy king on Tuesday. Unfortunately it took me a while to make up my mind between a used Pajero/Scorpio/Safari and finally the Gypsy. Thanks to my dilly-dallying, the prices have shot up by roughly 20k for the hard-top and 15k for the soft-top. While this isn't off-putting considering all the other vehicles I am considering will also go up in price, it does seem like Pranab has ensured that Indians get a lot less bang for their buck.

Politics aside - need help from people here with contacts within MUL to accelerate the installation of the accelerator pedal on my Gypsy so they drive it to me in time for the summer. I am really looking forward to the Mumbai summer and Monsoons sans A/C and Power-anything...should be entertaining to onlookers

I will start my own thread once I get my fat paws on the unassisted steering wheel of my own Gypsy but until then I do have a few queries:

1. Is there a power-output difference between the Esteem and Gypsy running the same engines. If so - is the ECU a direct swap between the two vehicles?

2. What is the power output gain moving from the Carb to MPFI?

3. Is there any noticeable difference in handling between the soft-top and hard-top versions? Please elaborate.

4. How can I secure a soft/hard top Gypsy and stop the thugs (a.k.a politicians) in UP/Bihar from enjoying the fruits of my labor?

5. I am a tall guy at 6'3" and I'd like to make a few comfort modifications. Please recommend a decent, hardworking and knowledgeable engineer/mechanic who can carry out these mods to exacting standards. I am happy to pay for quality.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks