Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2009, 22:34   #76
Senior - BHPian

Hey starter what model Hella's are those?
Old 14th November 2009, 23:26   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
@Starter - The dealer service manager test drove the car and said that the car is ok and any noise that I am hearing is normal to the car...as we know, it can be avoided with some skill in shifting.
Hey Sawyer,
Thank you so much for this information. It is ditto from my service manager too, after the first service. He told me that adding FWH would solve this.
Quote:
Since it may be of common interest, I am going to take the liberty of posing a question
My list in order of priority, for inputs and changes from gypsy gurus:
1. Rear CFLs
2. Better front seats - what would be fit and be markedly better than the OE seats?
3. Any way to reduce the flapping racket the soft top makes at speed?
4. Lockable hubs to make the car lighter to steer, if so, what make?
I am not sure about the merits of front CFLs, I am quite ok with how the front rides actually, it is the rear that needs taming to stop it from going at the kidneys!
Anything else?
Starter, I trust you are ok for posting this on your thread, I thought it better than opening a new one. You might have inputs/questions to add as well.
Sawyer, absolutely OK with you posting these questions
Regarding your points, i really agree with you.
Here are my thoughts:
1) Regarding CFLs, absolutely necessary, i think. Am planning to wait for a year, so that am through with the warranty period. I also want to fit an AC Sawyer. Will do more of reading and discuss about it with experts here and once i finish an year, will try to get both of these installed.
2) Seats. Not just the front, i want to change my rear benches too, to front facing ones. Am hoping that some dealer would help me with this. If not, thankfully, i've got Shahnawaz's seats.
3) Since mine is a hardtop, i don't have this problem.
4) FWH, I am not sure. I've read that it improves fuel efficiency, steering the car would be a little easy and the 'dhunk' sound from the front, while changing the gears would be gone.
If you would want me to courier these FWHs, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
In that case, imagine the difference that good seats would make. Now, there are NO drop in seats and ALL replacement seats would need some changes at the frame rail of the existing seat frame. I put in BMW 3 series seats and they sit in fine. The existing frame rail had to be removed and the new seats bolted directly on the body.
Hey Shahnawaz,
From where did you manage BMW3 seats?
Forget BMW, i would be more than happy if i find good innova seats. Any pointers, where i could go in search of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
I'd suggest also throw out the rear seats and get a custom made seat. I've seen a Delhi Gypsy where the owner has put in an incredibly comfortable rear seat, much like a leather sofa. Alternatively, you can try safari rear seats.
Dear Predatorwheelz,
Could you kindly share more information about this setup?
I think, Safari's rear seats are wider and hence would not fit in the Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Spent some time today with this one. Didn't drive it though. Red white combination looks really nice. It was pretty late to do proper justice as a shot. But there's always next time.

Actually this is one test shot for me. 2X extender with 70-200. This is at 400mm.
Dear Rudra Sir,
Thank you so much for taking time off and gifting me such a wonderful picture of my Gypsy. It was really nice to meet you and Jaggu today. I was also very happy to see your Ambi in real. It not just looks great, but sounds great and is super quick. Am in love with it Thanks once again Rudra Sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Hey starter what model Hella's are those?
Dear MileCruncher,
They are Hella, Comet 500. Pretty simple lamps.

@Nims & Vijay, Thank you very much for your wishes. @Nims, i wish you luck in finding your Gypsy. If i find one here, i'll PM you.

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak
Old 15th November 2009, 01:24   #78
Team-BHP Support

It started of as a simple "lets meet up over lunch" to see in real life a red factory paint, finally landed up with 80km drive for shoot

Starter,

Thanks a ton! for letting me refresh my memories with Gypsy. Its a very different feel altogether to drive a factory fresh Gypsy! Wait till she gathers some more kms and do take her out on highways and armature offroad events for her to open up a lil more. Trust me you will fall in love with this bouncy babe, even more.

You wont believe it, we landed up seeing a grey one with snorkel and front half cut bumpers, just before dinner. Is that a sign or what?

EDIT: Rudra you were flying with the amby, never even got a chance to pull over and offer a driver swap he he

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th November 2009 at 01:28.
Old 15th November 2009, 16:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
1) Regarding CFLs, absolutely necessary, i think. Am planning to wait for a year, so that am through with the warranty period. I also want to fit an AC Sawyer. Will do more of reading and discuss about it with experts here and once i finish an year, will try to get both of these installed.

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak
I am not sure why you need to wait the warranty period for CFLs. I plan to install the rear set on mine right away. Besides, isn't the warranty for 2 years? You going to keep taking what the car dishes out that long?! On the other hand, if you are able to load the rear with ballast, that should be fine.
Old 15th November 2009, 17:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Hi Deepak,
Regarding the seats, My vote goes to the Innova seats.
You see I have a Tata Safari for the past 2 years and have been recently installed Innova's middle row seats on the RANGER (this is what I cal my MM550). I find the Innovas much more comfortable when compared to the safari.
Still its a personal opinion though!!!
Old 15th November 2009, 20:26   #81
BHPian

Dear Starter,

I did not notice this thread for some time. And today I read the whole thread in one go. I feel so nice that you mentioned my name in the beginning of this thread.

I must congratulate you for getting a red gypsy. I looks so beautiful. And after driving any modern day car, a Gypsy feels a bit rough in the beginning. You will get used to it. I guess your arms are pretty toned up by now. Thats how you install a power steering in this brute. By just driving it. It builds your biceps, triceps and shoulder muscles.

Do ask your MASS to tighten all the bolts underneath including those of the drive train. Also, just for your info, original Asin Free wheeling Hub will cost you Rs 6000 a piece. May be Lamba will also do the job but I have heard stories where they tend to get loose sometimes. Gypsy is at its reliable best with fewer mods.

I personally think there is no one way of doing up the Gypsy. Each Gypsy has its own character.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 15th November 2009 at 20:28.
Old 16th November 2009, 07:29   #82
BHPian

Deepak,

Did your Gypsy come with iCATS? Waiting for the interior pics to get a feel of the interiors. Also, how does the co-driver seat operate to make way to the rear seats. What is the warranty period?

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 16th November 2009, 08:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
And after driving any modern day car, a Gypsy feels a bit rough in the beginning. You will get used to it. I guess your arms are pretty toned up by now. Thats how you install a power steering in this brute. By just driving it. It builds your biceps, triceps and shoulder muscles.

Do ask your MASS to tighten all the bolts underneath including those of the drive train. Also, just for your info, original Asin Free wheeling Hub will cost you Rs 6000 a piece. May be Lamba will also do the job but I have heard stories where they tend to get loose sometimes. Gypsy is at its reliable best with fewer mods.

I personally think there is no one way of doing up the Gypsy. Each Gypsy has its own character.
On the button! I have no intention of ever to put power steering on mine. One of the good things about the Gypsy off road is that the steering wheel doesn't shimmy left right all the time, and I was never concerned about it trapping a wayward thumb. I do not know if power steering will affect this good trait. And it would be one more system that can be a cause for failure. For similar reasons, I am very reluctant to even add the AC.

Re the FWH, can someone list the top three reasons for installing these, because it is one more additional system at the end of the day. And apart from this and the cost factor, the couple of reasons for not doing so.
Old 16th November 2009, 19:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thanks a ton! for letting me refresh my memories with Gypsy. Its a very different feel altogether to drive a factory fresh Gypsy! Wait till she gathers some more kms and do take her out on highways and armature offroad events for her to open up a lil more. Trust me you will fall in love with this bouncy babe, even more.

EDIT: Rudra you were flying with the amby, never even got a chance to pull over and offer a driver swap he he
Hey Jaggu,
I thank you too. It was great meeting you and Rudro! I shall definitely start taking Gypsy out. Rudro's Amby is superb! Am in love with it.. @Rudro, whenever you want to drive my Gypsy, just let me know.

Quote:
I am not sure why you need to wait the warranty period for CFLs. I plan to install the rear set on mine right away. Besides, isn't the warranty for 2 years? You going to keep taking what the car dishes out that long?! On the other hand, if you are able to load the rear with ballast, that should be fine.
Hi Sawyer,
I just saw the manual. You are right, it says that the warranty is for 2 years/40K kms. I shall get the CFLs installed soon. I plan to come over to Pune sometime in the end of year. So, maybe i could get it installed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi Deepak,
Regarding the seats, My vote goes to the Innova seats.
You see I have a Tata Safari for the past 2 years and have been recently installed Innova's middle row seats on the RANGER (this is what I cal my MM550). I find the Innovas much more comfortable when compared to the safari.
Still its a personal opinion though!!!
Dear Harjeev,
The whole problem is where to find these Innova seats. I don't think one could buy new seats from their dealerships directly. I do not want to bore holes on the chassis to get this installed. Also, i want the navigator seat to slide and fold forward to let people in and out from the rear seat. Just like how the Innova's middle seats work. Will try to find them and will also check on what are the changes i would have to make to get these installed. Will keep the thread updated. Thanks for the info Harjeev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
Dear Starter,
I did not notice this thread for some time. And today I read the whole thread in one go. I feel so nice that you mentioned my name in the beginning of this thread.
Of course Wanderhermit. Without your help, i would not have been able to get the Gypsy this soon. Thank you so much for your timely help.

Quote:
I shall definitely ask my MASS to check this. When you say 6K a piece for Aisin hubs, does it mean, it is for one. Meaning, 12K for a pair? Would that price be for a new one or is it a used one? I've heard about Lambda's nuts getting sheared from our off road group.

Quote:
For similar reasons, I am very reluctant to even add the AC.

Re the FWH, can someone list the top three reasons for installing these, because it is one more additional system at the end of the day. And apart from this and the cost factor, the couple of reasons for not doing so.
Hi Sawyer,
I completely agree with you on the power steering part.
I plan to use my Gypsy also for some long trips where the roads are bad. For these trips, i think AC would become necessary. If the AC would be fit by a MASS directly, i guess, it should be ok.
Regarding the FWH (from what i've read), it would make your steering a little easier, make your fuel efficiency a little better and would not result in unnecessary wear and tear of your front differential.
Some of the problems, the lambda nuts were sheared and nuts tend to get loose and fall off. If not used regularly, the locking and unlocking might become a little tight.
If you plan to buy these Lambda FWH, i could courier them for you. Let me know..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh_sg View Post
Deepak,
Did your Gypsy come with iCATS? Waiting for the interior pics to get a feel of the interiors. Also, how does the co-driver seat operate to make way to the rear seats. What is the warranty period?
Hey Rajesh,
Gypsy comes with an engine immobilizer. Not sure, if this is what you wanted to know. Regarding the co-driver seat, from outside, you could use the lever with which you adjust the back rest of the seat to bring the seat front and fold. It also comes with a small foot rest on the co-driver side, with which one could get inside. From inside, behind the co-driver's seat, there is a small hook which you could pull to fold and push the co-driver seat front.
Warranty period is 2 years/40K kms. On paying 4000 more, you could extend it to 2 additional years.

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak
Old 16th November 2009, 20:07   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..i want to change my rear benches too, to front facing ones. Am hoping that some dealer would help me with this. If not, thankfully, i've got Shahnawaz's seats.
Boss, if you don't use them then let me know and I can pass them on to some one who can use them.

Quote:
i would be more than happy if i find good innova seats. Any pointers, where i could go in search of them?
1: Go to Toyota Service station and ask them if they have some old seats available from some junk vehicle
2: When everything else fails, try GUJRI.

Quote:
..It was really nice to meet you and Jaggu today. ..
Quote:
..Spent some time today with this one. Didn't drive it though. Red white combination looks really nice...
Quote:
It started of as a simple "lets meet up over lunch" to see in real life a red factory paint, finally landed up with 80km drive for shoot ..
That's not fair. You guys meet to see the new Gypsy in town, drive it, take pictures of it and you leave me out

Quote:
...Re the FWH, can someone list the top three reasons for installing these, because it is one more additional system at the end of the day. And apart from this and the cost factor, the couple of reasons for not doing so.
Try this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ubs-jeeps.html

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th November 2009 at 20:35.
Old 16th November 2009, 20:30   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1: Go to Toyota Service station and ask them if they have some old seats available from some junk vehicle

Try this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ubs-jeeps.html
thanks, will look up that thread.
One problem I see with all replacement seats is that they bolt on to the bottom plate, and that means one has to live with them in just one position?
@Starter, as of now, I believe that all MASS refuse to install AC, and are very firm that an AC will affect the engine warranty. Correct me if I am wrong, anyone.
Old 16th November 2009, 20:38   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One problem I see with all replacement seats is that they bolt on to the bottom plate, and that means one has to live with them in just one position?
Says who? Sirji, it will work as you wish. There is something called as frame rail that get's mounted to the body and the new seat sits on the frame rail
Old 16th November 2009, 21:10   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's not fair. You guys meet to see the new Gypsy in town, drive it, take pictures of it and you leave me out
And we thought you were out mud plunging actually it was not a planned thing, just happened. Patience Watson Patience, as ol man said there is always a next time. He didnt talk to me rest of the night coz i didnt let him drive

So i also shot few pics, but was not carrying the tripod so could manage only these. For you Starter.

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-img_0690.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-img_0694.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-img_0698.jpg
Old 16th November 2009, 22:21   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, if you don't use them then let me know and I can pass them on to some one who can use them.
Dear Shahnawaz,
I am still waiting if Mandovi would source a new one for me.
I am sorry Shahnawaz, i did not keep you informed. Please let me know if you would need the seats for somebody, i shall get it. I am just waiting if Mandovi/Sagar would get me a new one Shahnawaz. If it does not work, then i had planned to install these.

Quote:
2: When everything else fails, try GUJRI.
I shall visit the Toyota Service Centers this weekend itself. Thanks for this information Khan.

Quote:
Hey,
I did not know that you would have joined I shall surely call you this weekend. If you are free, we could meet up.

Quote:
@Starter, as of now, I believe that all MASS refuse to install AC, and are very firm that an AC will affect the engine warranty. Correct me if I am wrong, anyone.
I checked only with my showroom during delivery Sawyer. My sales advisor said that he could install one of Maruti's and he has done it already to one of his customers. But, he did mention about the warranty getting void.

Quote:
And we thought you were out mud plunging actually it was not a planned thing, just happened. Patience Watson Patience, as ol man said there is always a next time. He didnt talk to me rest of the night coz i didnt let him drive
Exactly Jaggu. I really did not know that Khan would be free and is willing to see my Gypsy. I am sorry Khan and Rudra Sir. The next time we meet, you all can surely take it for a spin.
Quote:
So i also shot few pics, but was not carrying the tripod so could manage only these. For you Starter.
Thank you so much Jaggu. They are very nice. The pictures that i take would not look half this nice I guess, this is what is called experience and skill. Thanks a lot once again.

Cheers Everybody.
Deepak
Old 17th November 2009, 01:33   #90
BHPian

My views are in bold.
Quote:
Hi Sawyer,
I just saw the manual. You are right, it says that the warranty is for 2 years/40K kms. I shall get the CFLs installed soon. I plan to come over to Pune sometime in the end of year. So, maybe i could get it installed there.

CFL sounds good. May be a nice review from King khan will help.

Dear Harjeev,
The whole problem is where to find these Innova seats. I don't think one could buy new seats from their dealerships directly. I do not want to bore holes on the chassis to get this installed. Also, i want the navigator seat to slide and fold forward to let people in and out from the rear seat. Just like how the Innova's middle seats work. Will try to find them and will also check on what are the changes i would have to make to get these installed. Will keep the thread updated. Thanks for the info Harjeev.

I don't think you have the option to replace these,
in case you intend to install that rear bench.

Of course Wanderhermit. Without your help, i would not have been able to get the Gypsy this soon. Thank you so much for your timely help.

The pleasure was all mine. For a fellow team-bhpian, anything.

I shall definitely ask my MASS to check this. When you say 6K a piece for Aisin hubs, does it mean, it is for one. Meaning, 12K for a pair? Would that price be for a new one or is it a used one? I've heard about Lambda's nuts getting sheared from our off road group.

Yes, 12 k for a pair. Thats what they told me. And you can always cross-check with your dealer and let us know. The price is for brand new MGP (Maruti Genuine Part).

Hi Sawyer,
I completely agree with you on the power steering part.
I plan to use my Gypsy also for some long trips where the roads are bad. For these trips, i think AC would become necessary. If the AC would be fit by a MASS directly, i guess, it should be ok.

Now A/c in a gypsy is bit tricky. And there is a separate thread on it also. But there are three points for which I am still searching for answers:
1. Positioning of the condenser: I have heard some stories of Gypsy overheating if the condenser is fitted in front of the radiator. Also, the Gypsy has to go thru a surgery to fit condenser in front of the radiator. Well, can you see your new Gypsy go thru that surgery. May be not. And if the condenser is fiited somewhere under the belly, it would not be that safe (while offroading) and there is the possibility of it interfering with some other parts (just because it is not supposed to be not there.
2. In a brand new Gypsy, how will you increase the throtle when the a/c is switched on. The idling is controlled via ECU. It sounds like a small issue but it is not. Because the engine will be tremendously stressed out in neutral while the car is not moving. And it happens a lot in City driving. Also there is that drunk feeling magnified while moving from a traffic light. You will tend to over rev the engine so that engine does not get stalled. And that is so very irritating when you have to consistently do this in stop-and-go traffic. One solution can be to have the idling increased permanently irrespective of a/c. Not much but somewhat so that you engine does not die if the a/c is switched on, without revving manually.
3. If you put in superking king blower and coil, there is no place for a heater. Also there is surgery of your brand new dash board. Now i would hate to see my beauty go under the knife. Also heater is a must for mountains. Would you not like to keep the options for Leh alive. A friend of mine was stuck on Baralacha for two days in 2008 with his family. Well, he survived the snow. And he did use the heater. It was a lifesaver. Its not mandatory but why take a chance. So, to put in a heater, one has to put a smaller coil. It does take away some of the a/c efficiency but you will have both. So there is a trade-off here.

Regarding the FWH (from what i've read), it would make your steering a little easier, make your fuel efficiency a little better and would not result in unnecessary wear and tear of your front differential.
Some of the problems, the lambda nuts were sheared and nuts tend to get loose and fall off. If not used regularly, the locking and unlocking might become a little tight.
If you plan to buy these Lambda FWH, i could courier them for you. Let me know..

Three good reasons, Starter has already given.
Three reasons not too are:
1. You have to get down and engage them to use 4wd. And there can be a situation that it is just too late to do that. I mean you can go into 4wd High without stopping the car. And that is how a 4wd should be.
2. And since there is no indication on the instrument panel, you may just engage 4wd (by the small stick shift indide) and think you have a 4wd but actually it is not. And you may be stuck or may be just embarrassed. I understand that is not the fault of FWH but of an individuals memory but we are human , right! And we do forget the basics sometimes. If I remember correctly, even a serious off roader can forget to do that. And that to on a OTR meet. Can you recall that name? And there is a serious possibility of driveline overload if Gypsy is driven in low gears. Because the rear end cannot handle all the torque in low ratio gears.
3. Now the last one. And this is not the one I have tested but heard from a driver in police who has been driving gypsys for last 20 years. According to this guy, the braking is very positive in stock condition (in newer Gypsys). And maybe this is one of the reason Maruti is not offering the FWHs anymore. Maybe, some other Gypsy owners can shed light on this aspect as I actually don't recall such a thing, having driven a 410 with FWHs way back in late 90's.

Hey Rajesh,
Gypsy comes with an engine immobilizer. Not sure, if this is what you wanted to know. Regarding the co-driver seat, from outside, you could use the lever with which you adjust the back rest of the seat to bring the seat front and fold. It also comes with a small foot rest on the co-driver side, with which one could get inside. From inside, behind the co-driver's seat, there is a small hook which you could pull to fold and push the co-driver seat front.
Warranty period is 2 years/40K kms. On paying 4000 more, you could extend it to 2 additional years.

Yes it comes with iCats. So in case you get a duplicate key made from a local key maker, make sure you use the new key to open the two doors only (or the fuel cap and the front glove box). Do not use this for the ignition.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 17th November 2009 at 01:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks