Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2009, 17:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
The valve you are talking about is known as FICD pump and switch (Fast idle control device),
The above is true for diesel engines.

Petrol engines with carb have a vacuum advance diaphragm unit that does the job of increasing the idle.

I'm sure MPFi engines follow on similar lines, but am not 100% sure!
Old 28th November 2009, 18:05   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

MPFI what i know does the correction using ECU, adjusts the parameters of the fuel feed to compensate the load of the AC. I am not sure it uses vacuum advance mechanism and moves the throttle body. I am also planning to check, this is the problem with modern cars, they need so much less servicing that one forgets to look under the hood
Old 28th November 2009, 21:06   #138
PCS
BHPian

Dude, This Mg413w Is Really Awesome.
I Just Love This Car !!!

Hats Off To You Yaar For Having The Passion To Buy One, As The Tagline Says "there Is A Gypsy In Everyone"

Are You Planning To Fit Alloys?
Old 30th November 2009, 18:43   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The above is true for diesel engines.

Petrol engines with carb have a vacuum advance diaphragm unit that does the job of increasing the idle.

Never knew diesel engines also have ficd. Would like to know more.

As for Petrol engines with carb the vacuum advance diaphragm unit does increase the idle, but its linked to acceleration and does it on high rpm. For a/c applications there is a ficd pump attached on the carb head with a switch to detect the ac being switched on. I had a Premier Padmini with a Solex Bicsa which had a vaccuum advance but rpm had to be manually adjusted to match the load condition. Ficd pump is done as a extra fitment for dealer/ex factory fitted acs.
Anyways just to share, wanted to undertake the entire solex to mikuni transformation for my Premier Padmini to have a Ficd fitment.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:56   #140
Team-BHP Support

Slightly confused, if i understand correct in carbs the AC rpm advance works with a vacuum activated lever which pushes the butterfly a bit more. This has a separate adjustment screw to control the amount of increase. Right?

The rubber diaphragm you mentioned is the accelerator pump of the carb that you are talking about which sprays in lil more of fuel for spirited acceleration? I dont think it has to do anything with idle?
Old 30th November 2009, 22:41   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Very good and appropriate accessories for the King I would say. Congrats on the fit. So I guess the ac is next in the line right??
Thanks Dev. AC, not immediately. I'll try without AC this summer and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Starter has a neat graphic done for it, I covered my vent in layers of wide 3M scotch tape from day 1 that has held very well and is almost invisible. One of the many Gypsy learnings from this forum!
Hey Sawyer,
Thanks. The graphic was completely done by the accessory guy. I tried with a plain red tape but it wasn't looking well. The accessory guy then used a thin plastic board and did the graphics on that and stuck it on the vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
Hi Deepak,
Been going thru the thread and love the enthusiasm of the group. Kudos to you!!
I went through a similar act (or torture) of convincing wife/ mom/ dad who were on 1 side and myself on the other side (read: receiving side) of the discussion. Its not easy to convince a whole lot of people about the way you spend you own hard earned money on your own dreams and passions... Isnt it?? I have still not managed to get their agreement, esp mom, but it doesn't matter now. I had already bought a used Gypsy King Carb 1.3L (Y2K model) by then.
Hey Harish,
Thanks for your message. I can imagine what you've been going through. Congratulations on your Gypsy. Please share more information about your acquisition.
Quote:
On the a/c part - considering that I live in Chennai I didnt have a choice: I have fixed a Sanden a/c with a super king blower. Seems to be doing well. For the best idling engine rpm with and without the a/c on, I have fixed a "valve" which automatically increases the revs when the a/c goes on. I got this fixed at a MASS center.
Could you please share more information about the install. Some pictures would be helpful too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Good to see your'e having fun with your, Gypsy. Keep it up mate!
Thanks windiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketla2411 View Post
I think the best is not to add any of the comfort additions for a vehicle of this stature. Gypsies are ment to be simple machines designed to do just one job. MAKE THEIR OWN ROADS WHERE THERE ARE NONE. And that they do very well because of the simple and basic but purpose built features they come with.
Point noted Ketla! I bought it for this specific reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Dude, This Mg413w Is Really Awesome.
I Just Love This Car !!!
Hats Off To You Yaar For Having The Passion To Buy One, As The Tagline Says "there Is A Gypsy In Everyone"
Are You Planning To Fit Alloys?
Thanks a lot PCS. No, i am not a big fan of alloys on Jeeps and Gypsies. I had them on my previous car. Honestly, i love the OEM rims on the Gypsy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So i happened to speak to a Gypsy buyer who wanted only an air-conditioned vehicle delivered from MUL, the customer service guided him to a dealer fitment at delivery and he accepted the offer. This was done couple of years back and this vehicle has been running without any issues all over India and have made himalayan visits also. So i would call it reliable and working flawless.

Details i could gather from him regarding the job:
Dear Jaggu,
I guess, i know whose vehicle you are talking about. Thanks a lot for sharing this information. As i said earlier, will try driving it the coming summer without AC and see if its possible.

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak
Old 1st December 2009, 07:45   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Never knew diesel engines also have ficd. Would like to know more.

As for Petrol engines with carb the vacuum advance diaphragm unit does increase the idle, but its linked to acceleration and does it on high rpm.
IIRC, only Diesel has FICD, petrol engines use the vacuum advance method!

Quote:
Slightly confused, if i understand correct in carbs the AC rpm advance works with a vacuum activated lever which pushes the butterfly a bit more. This has a separate adjustment screw to control the amount of increase. Right?

The rubber diaphragm you mentioned is the accelerator pump of the carb that you are talking about which sprays in lil more of fuel for spirited acceleration? I dont think it has to do anything with idle?
I agree!
Old 1st December 2009, 08:54   #143
BHPian

Quote:
MPFI what i know does the correction using ECU, adjusts the parameters of the fuel feed to compensate the load of the AC. I am not sure it uses vacuum advance mechanism and moves the throttle body. I am also planning to check, this is the problem with modern cars, they need so much less servicing that one forgets to look under the hood

MPFI engines do not have vacuum advance mechanism. Idling is controlled by the ECU. There is a dedicated wire connected to the ECU from Ac. So when ac is switched on, it advances idling automatically. The problem in new MPFI gysy that that it does not have this dedicated electric wire as stock. I do not know whether the ECU has the required software (to deal with ac). If it is same as Esteem/swift unit, technically it should have this feature.

Any views?

Last edited by wanderhermit : 1st December 2009 at 08:56.
Old 1st December 2009, 17:37   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Harish,
Thanks for your message. I can imagine what you've been going through. Congratulations on your Gypsy. Please share more information about your acquisition.

Could you please share more information about the install. Some pictures would be helpful too.

Cheers Everybody,
Deepak

Hi Deepak,

My recent A/c installation experience: My a/c guy installed a used super king blower which was in good condition, while all other components were new. The compressor is Sanden; spent 17k on it including the extra fan, a condensor, ducting et all. He quoted 23k if I were to go in for a new blower too. Pretty happy with it for the moment. The real test for it would be during Chennai's famous summer, which isnt too far away...

My Gypsy purchase experience: My initial thought process for owning a Gypsy was to get a 410 and throw in a Baleno or an Isuzu engine. This was mainly due to the high prices quoted for the King and the scarcity of the product in the used market, especially if you are looking for a genuine/ stock/ well maintained piece. I had waited enough - 3 long years scanning through all possible columns on-line and off-line. The anxious wait soon became frustration and I was on the border line of depression, when genuine 410s were itself an endangered species... Was against buying a new one and taking it off-road the very next minute; my heart is indeed weak to bear a scratch or a dent on my passion.

Call it luck or change in fortunes, I got to know from a friend's friend's friend that there was a 413 in immacualte condition, but it was there at Coimbatore and already had a queue waiting for it. I told myself that this was the only chance for me to prove my worth this birth and immediately booked a berth to Coimbatore chasing my dream. My remote friend managed to hold it till I arrived. I felt it was mine the moment I saw it, my heart skipped a beat, jaws dropped and was annoyed at anyone checking it out; dont know if I was too obsessed. I didnt negotiate. I pleaded/ begged for it and struck the deal at some astronomical figure not worth mentioning. But we all know we came to this world with nothin and we take back nothing.

The only thing that matters to me most is happiness during the time we live (desparately trying to console myself)... So I got the vehicle and drove it back to Chennai; predicting the expressions and reactions of my mom/ wife. Now a happy and a proud owner of the 413, I plan to keep it till I can get myself a Montero!!! Will soon write on my ownership experience...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd December 2009 at 11:47. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:10   #145
BHPian

Starter, congrats for your gypsy king. PS and A/C is not meant for Gypsy. I never felt the need for them.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:36   #146
Senior - BHPian

starter,

Nice thread and appreciate the patience and passion that went into buying the car you wanted. Felt my own feelings returning to me for my car/s purchase/s. Truly precious, happy motoring!
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:50   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonewithwind View Post
Starter, congrats for your gypsy king. PS and A/C is not meant for Gypsy. I never felt the need for them.
Hey GWW,
Thanks. I do not want them too. But not sure how bad it wud be in summer. Will wait for summer and see if i can manage without it.

Quote:
The real test for it would be during Chennai's famous summer, which isnt too far away...
I would love to know how it performs in summer. Is the super king blower good enough to cool the row behind the driver or is it just for the front cabin? If it is only for the front cabin, i think i shall just live with the current blower.
Quote:
My Gypsy purchase experience: I pleaded/ begged for it and struck the deal at some astronomical figure not worth mentioning. But we all know we came to this world with nothin and we take back nothing.
So I got the vehicle and drove it back to Chennai;
Brilliant! I guess, everybody would love to see your thread. Would be very nice if you could start one and post some pictures. Don't worry about the money you paid. I bought my fusion at a certain price and Ford brought its price down the next year by more than a lakh. Destiny! As long as you are not regretting, no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
starter,

Nice thread and appreciate the patience and passion that went into buying the car you wanted. Felt my own feelings returning to me for my car/s purchase/s. Truly precious, happy motoring!
Hey Surya,
Thanks a lot! Truly, everytime i read fellow members' initial ownership threads, i feel happy. Many things that we experience while buying are common.

Cheers,
Deepak
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:59   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But we all know we came to this world with nothin and we take back nothing.
My quote:Happiness can't come out of money, but comes through satisfaction

Doesn't matter if you pay more, at the end of the day, you liked it and it is affordable to you.
Many details missing about the year model,kms clocked, color etc. If you don't mind, price as well.

Its really bad to see your post without pics. Pls add them immediately.
Old 4th December 2009, 09:38   #149
BHPian

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-img_0211.jpg

Brand new MG413W. EDIT : King completes 20000 kms-img_0198.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
My quote:Happiness can't come out of money, but comes through satisfaction

Doesn't matter if you pay more, at the end of the day, you liked it and it is affordable to you.
Many details missing about the year model,kms clocked, color etc. If you don't mind, price as well.

Its really bad to see your post without pics. Pls add them immediately.

Dear Deepak,

Yes the super king blower is far superior to the stock one and the blast effect can be felt by the last passenger clinging on to the rear door! If you retain the stock blower, it may be a good idea to use a plastic see-through sheet to partition the front cabin.

Dear Ram,

Nice quote; but satisfaction came after wiping out my bank balance clean...
True, Im quite happy about the vehicle purchase.
Gypsy details (came with the below stuff):
Y2K model
Recently re-painted - white (dupont)
Imported (Japan made) Bridgestone A/T 205 75 R15; decent looking tread
Kms: Was reset to 0 when I bought it.
Stickers: Done well by the previous owner
New seat covers and floor plastic carpet/ mat in pretty neat shape.

My additions on the vehicle: A/c, replaced the hand brake lever and changed to esteem carb. Did a few mechanical repairs - changed a few bearings and sealed the vent on the bonnet.
Price - all put together has touched 2.8L!!! My life savings...
My bank balance after the purchase: Zilch!!! Donations welcome...

Hope you liked the Gypsy snaps attached... This was at a beach near Chennai...
Old 27th December 2009, 01:15   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Sawyer, best advice: Drive a Gypsy with FWH and see the difference. If you like what you see then go for it, else forget it.

The whole steering feel/front driveline feel changes. (But don't compare it to power steering etc.).
When Sultan advices, how you can ignore. Well, I got the stuff. And I agree that it works. The steering is easier. And the jeep drives like a car. It is difficult to describe the feeling. The beast feels a bit relaxed and tamed on tarmac.

Well, do I suggest it? It took me some time to find good quality Aisin. I would not have gone ahead if it was not Aisin. Somehow I am a sucker for original stuff.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks