Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2010, 10:36   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i agree with you fazal but 7 lakhs for a pure offroad 4WD, i need a family vehicle too besides a 4WD!
I too am exactly in the same (family car) situation as yours, and need to own something like this before I get older and a couple of lakhs here or there will not stop the process of my growing old , in other words the extra lakhs is going towards buying time.
Parm, believe me it is worth it, try to beat the odds at home like I am.
The comforts of old Mahindras is what we have in mind before we consider this as a family car, wait until you drive it.

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 7th January 2010 at 10:39.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:37   #137
DKG
Senior - BHPian

How about an extreme offroad package which includes skid plates/rock rails, a combination of front traction control/rear difflocks and extreme offroad mud terrain tyres. Charge 1-1.5 lacs for it, am sure there will be takers

I think one option the Thar must be launched with is a smart moulded roof wih a/c option

Last edited by DKG : 7th January 2010 at 10:42.
Old 7th January 2010, 10:50   #138
BHPian

Preet/ Yogesh - what pics man!! Tooo good. I am in love.

Behram Sir. I bow down to you. Forget the bling but it is not nacassary that a practical 4x4 should look like a rural transport dept disposal!!

Cheers
Ankit
Old 7th January 2010, 11:14   #139
Senior - BHPian

Thar is a production reality even for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I KNOW THAT YOU GUYS WANT A NO NONSENSE 4*4 AND NOTHING ELSE. YOU SHALL GET IT, AND GET IT SOONER THAN YOU THINK AND IT SHALL BE AFFORDABLE TOO. IT SHALL ALSO MEET CMVR.

Don't worry guys, stay cool, things shall happen ! Come to the Auto Expo, 3 days, starting tomorrow. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Reassuring words from the man himself. This is the reason guys i have been saying this is just a concept. Actual production vehicle will be different in terms of styling.

@Fazaladil- I can see the why you said you have to drive it to believe it...i know some of the secrets and i envy you for that!!:-))

@SVsantosh- The idea is to introduce this vehicle even in cities. Hence no BS II stuff. Even army NGCS 550's are getting MDI3200 TC which have to meet BSII norms. They have axed XD3p U even though it could meet the same.

May be M2DI engine with solid live axle with BSIII capability will bring further cheer to hard core old school off roaders here. Myself included. But iam happy. Scorpio IFS has enough travel and Bolero's 2wd rear suspension has loads of articulation that can match or even surpass old jeep's. Hence i doubt if there would be any circumstance where new thar would be fuming and old MM540 just walks away.

@DKG- Custom skid plates, diff lock options n all sound interesting, iam yet to be surprised by M&M in this department. Hope atleast here they give diff ratio options like abroad.

So guys this vehicle is a production reality

Cheers

Vinod

p.s- A no nonsense 4x4 with strong mechanicals, low NVH that has the capability to out accelerate even a Scorpio has been the fundamentals for developing Thar. Hence the wishlist thread

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 7th January 2010 at 11:32.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:17   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I KNOW THAT YOU GUYS WANT A NO NONSENSE 4*4 AND NOTHING ELSE. YOU SHALL GET IT, AND GET IT SOONER THAN YOU THINK AND IT SHALL BE AFFORDABLE TOO. IT SHALL ALSO MEET CMVR.
Thanks Mr. Dhabhar. These are most assuring words. "No Nonsense 4x4, Sooner, Affordable"

I was thinking that you too must have got a shock on knowing about the bling things on the vehicle on display in the Expo. (It happens, may be a junior trying to over impress you by a surprise. hehe..)

I might come for the expo on 9th or 10th would sure come & meet you.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:24   #141
BHPian

I feel, M&Ms no frill Thar (like the one below) with just a winch and 2 add on lamps would have looked neat and would have attracted a lot more public response in an arena like AutoExpo.

The one at the Expo with all those plastic, and too many shiny bars all around, loses that Lean-'Mean' look.

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-mahindra_thar_concept_2.jpg
Old 7th January 2010, 11:27   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Whats the good news, brochure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
^^^ Jaggu- Sad to say you are correct..
Hold on a minute.

Look at the Brochure and the pics closely. The pics on the Brochure do not match the Vehicle on display. Like I said earlier somewhere maybe they could not get the Indian Thar ready for the Expo and got a LHD from the Garage and hosted in here instead, but they did have the brochures ready.

The dead giveaway is the side aluminium step which is an ugly twisted tube on the display vehicle. The aluminium footboard was seen on the spy pics somewhere on here.

So I am sure what is on display is not what the Indian Thar is.

I am still optimistic.

M&M please prove me right.

EDIT: WHOA!!! Note to self: Refresh pages after getting up in the morning

I didnt see the rest of the responses until I entered my response. Mr Dhabar AWESOME.

Now the price please

Last edited by Spitfire : 7th January 2010 at 11:29. Reason: Had not read rest of the pages.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:31   #143
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics/news !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Yuhoo!!! Guys finally some real good News!

See the pics below from Source - NIOC (Northern India Off Road Club) Member Preet Sarai......

Thanks for this pics, Ym-enjn and Preet Sarai .

The low-ratio is mentioned as 277.48:1 . Guess it is a typo.

Also, one good thing(among many) is that the rear suspension seems to be using parabolic leaf springs (instead of std. semi-elliptical leafs), as in the newer Boleros : so the ride comfort will definitely be good, and also the suspension flex and hence the axle articulation should be good.

Though the approach/departure angles are good, the ramp-breakover is a bit disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
...EDIT: Torsion bar front, is it a good idea for heavy offroading?
Torsion bar front, but with double swing-arms is definitely more robust than those with just one swing-arm.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 7th January 2010 at 11:37.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:41   #144
Senior - BHPian

This thread is rocking and must be the fastest moving on T-BHP today.
Old 7th January 2010, 11:54   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I will be at the stall next to my beloved project vehicle for 3 full days, starting tomorrow.
Best wishes to you and M&M, may the right responses reach

Quote:
Please note that in order to sell the vehicle in any country, it needs to pass through a very elaborate homologation process.
============
I think this should put all "bling bling" type speculations to rest once and for all. "Bling blings" cannot come in production even if someone wanted them to.
We were aware of this bling-bling fiasco, but wouldnt it be better if the real thing was displayed?

Quote:
Myfirst salvo - Performance? - this thing does things in 2WD where other average 4WD vehicles will falter. Just look at it. 105 v/s 60 BHP. 27 v/s 12 kgm. Is there any comparison?
Excellent as long as parts can take extreme conditions like water and mud, as mentioned by someone else.

Quote:
Waiting continues patiently, please please work the pricing well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Though the approach/departure angles are good, the ramp-breakover is a bit disappointing.

Torsion bar front, but with double swing-arms is definitely more robust than those with just one swing-arm.
Apart from break over the naked tank, exhaust etc are a concern, but i guess some mods should help.

Reg torsion bar would love to hear from Mr Behram, i know 2 better than one swing arm but those bars looks soo size 1! Not very re-assuring after hearing stories reg Tavera's.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:01   #146
BHPian

My Plans are Ready

Hey Guys - Are we missing out something
  1. No more Sipping chai and waiting in Garage
  2. No hunting or running for parts
  3. Authorized workshops will not say a " NO " to us
  4. Warranty
  5. Free service
  6. No more oil and greese or additional spare parts in hand
Last but not least PEACE OF MIND

Thank you SIR . Just also ensure after sales support is in place sir.

Anything less than 8 Lks i'm in.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:01   #147
Senior - BHPian

Looks strong and capable

Guys look closely underneath-
1. Front suspension lifted up to accomodate the XXXL tyres. Almost touching lower limit bump stop (must be done only for Auto expo concept)

2. Two piece prop shaft and not so low gearbox cross member
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-bump-stop.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-thar-2-peice-shaft.jpg  

Old 7th January 2010, 12:02   #148
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

yes the purely recreational 4x4 boys wont be too pleased at the price of 7 lacs.

and Yes! when i spoke of the rural segment i meant the slightly more evolved + loaded + young-at-heart estate owners who would probably go for the Thar as a Utilitarian + Recreational option.

But the vehicle will definitely need to be rain proof if not completely weatherproof + they will desire the options of PS and AC/heater + a few bells and whistles for the price of 7 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@Shankar:

I feel that the rural market is now sold on Bolero and I doubht Thar will make huge inroads into the rural market. Maybe amongst reasoably wealthy estate owners but never amongst the rural junta. They will prefer a no nonsense DI engined Bolero/Major.
I second Maddy's points of view as below
question is, will the Thar meet this need?
Can it really be compared to the Jeep Wrangler - point for point? Ive seen the Wrangler Rubecon up close when travelling some time ago and I wonder about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
A decent hardtop version can be provided a la Wrangler which can make this vehicle a first car in homes but what it ends up is like a piece of toy which will adorn garages of people who would like to go in for a jeep as a second option.
===========
I am a jeep fan and i feel if my requirements could be met in a jeep then there is no point of my bolero. Anybody listening??

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th January 2010 at 18:41. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 7th January 2010, 12:12   #149
BHPian

Just a small confirmation needed: is the THAR coming in as a 4x4, coz when I checked out the display model at the expo, it was a 4x2 and no transfer case for the 4x4 as well.
Old 7th January 2010, 12:13   #150
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

man thats lousy news!

in which case M&M appear serious only about the "urban cowboy-poseur" market!!

as we know they already have those cosmetically steroided "customized" versions of the Bolero which have absolutely dys-functional (and in my opinon, completely superfluous and in-essential) modifications!

why bother with the Thar then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazydriver84 View Post
Just a small confirmation needed: is the THAR coming in as a 4x4, coz when I checked out the display model at the expo, it was a 4x2 and no transfer case for the 4x4 as well.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th January 2010 at 12:17.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks