Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 15:40   #211
Senior - BHPian

So after multiple threads and numerous speculations on the specs, will it be in production, will it be 4x4 worthy, will it be priced right??...

Things are becoming more clear not day by day but hour-on-hour at the moment.

All those who have had the opportunity to see it, thanks for sharing your inputs and for the images.

Quote:
And the bombshell, the base version without AC will be slightly over 6 Lakhs Ex-Showroom.
Finally after pages and pages of people refraining from mentioning the price, looks like we have locked on to 6L Ex-Showroom..

So all those who quoted that they were ready to pay 6-8L, talk to your banker, your home ministry and get ready to book one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
The hardworking Father of THAR.

guys could we have some appreciation for the man of the moment.
Behram Sir, Thanks for being part of the forum and taking our inputs from the https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/50039-mm540-4wd-wish-list-what-you-really-want-your-mm540-4wd.html

Looks like you were more instrumental in the Thar project, than many of us could imagine.

Quote:
what you guys think, M&M will get a demand/order of atleast 1000 THARs?
If MM jumps the gun and goes for a production run of 1000, I am sure after some time, we can get one of these for less than 5.5L.

I seriously doubt that the hardcore offroading community/'I have a open top jeep' community would be able to extinguish supply of 1000 THARs in the next few months.

I may be wrong?

Anyone has stats on how many Classics sold in the first year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Only thing to worry is personal finances and start saving up:-))
Thats what many on this thread are gearing up for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Anybody know if the Indian Army is showing interest in the Thar configuration? There was some rumor to that effect after the Mumbai attacks. The Army took that opportunity to request a new vehicle to improve their readiness. The reason I mention it is that a mass production run would tend to keep cost down. The cost of a Gypsy is up around 5.3 now. A Thar type MM540 would be value for money Methinks.
I wish the Army would think about it, but from what I hear they have moved on to another vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Salient points from the conversation:
  1. The Thar is getting launched soon, very soon.
  2. It will be with PS, AC et al.
  3. Will be available mainly in Soft Top but will have the latest gen canopy making AC highly effective.
  4. And the bombshell, the base version without AC will be slightly over 6 Lakhs Ex-Showroom.
Thank you Behram Sir for all information. Look forward to it launch and may be owning it as well.
MileCruncher and Friend, I don't think they wanted the pricing info out so soon (or maybe they did

Thanks for the valid info.

Looking forward to more from, what is now the most exciting thread on team-bhp

Last edited by IronWolf : 8th January 2010 at 15:42.
Old 8th January 2010, 15:48   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
3 lakh all in then

3 lacs all in for a restoration job is a little conservative IMHO, especially if you want go anywhere reliability.

A petrol CJ3B build from Army disposal will end up costing you upwards of 2.25 lacs.
A MM550 with a complete engine rebuild et all will end up costing upwards of 3.5 lacs.

The above is considering that you have replaced all worn parts with OEM parts.
Even then there will still be mechanical niggles, and the forever tryst with rust.
After all this you still cannot drive it in the city as a daily driver as you cannot register it legally in any METRO.

Hence at 6 lacs the THAR makes for itself a very strong / fighting case.

Last edited by Torque-ative : 8th January 2010 at 15:56. Reason: typo
Old 8th January 2010, 16:09   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@Torque-Alternative:

I agree with you on this. Total cost of rebuild of an Army MM550 can run upwards of 3.5 lakhs if you want to use OEM parts. Even then it may not be a 100% reliable unless you have access to a very competent mechanic.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:13   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
3 lacs all in for a restoration job is a little conservative IMHO, especially if you want go anywhere reliability.

A petrol CJ3B build from Army disposal will end up costing you upwards of 2.25 lacs.
A MM550 with a complete engine rebuild et all will end up costing upwards of 3.5 lacs.

The above is considering that you have replaced all worn parts with OEM parts.
Even then there will still be mechanical niggles, and the forever tryst with rust.
After all this you still cannot drive it in the city as a daily driver as you cannot register it legally in any METRO.

Hence at 6 lacs the THAR makes for itself a very strong / fighting case.
Spot on Torque-active. you have projected the right kind of money being spent on restoring ex-army vehicles.

so if you are getting a factory made 4WD offroad mud slugger, mountain climber, desert warrior etc for in and around 6 L without going to Mayapuri/Dabwali to hunt for parts and no frequent visits to your local garage, i think the wait is worth for the THAR.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:27   #215
BHPian

So finally one thing is for sure, if this is priced in 6-7L range, then it'll be a competitive piece by Mahindra. BUT, any insights on when it is expected to enter Indian civilian market?
Old 8th January 2010, 16:30   #216
Senior - BHPian

Thar : what does it mean ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
...I KNOW THAT YOU GUYS WANT A NO NONSENSE 4*4 AND NOTHING ELSE. YOU SHALL GET IT, AND GET IT SOONER THAN YOU THINK AND IT SHALL BE AFFORDABLE TOO. IT SHALL ALSO MEET CMVR.

Don't worry guys, stay cool, things shall happen ! ...
That is very re-assuring indeed .

Sir, I hope the launch campaign will also focus a bit on the name "THAR" itself : we should not mistakenly think that it is named after the desert (while it is actually named after a type of mountain goat...hope I am right).

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 8th January 2010 at 16:34.
Old 8th January 2010, 16:50   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
That is very re-assuring indeed .

Sir, I hope the launch campaign will also focus a bit on the name "THAR" itself : we should not mistakenly think that it is named after the desert (while it is actually named after a type of mountain goat...hope I am right).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgiri_Thar

Website on Nilgiri (goat)Thar get recognition from Britanica, Britanica recognition for Nilgiri Thar | RateVin
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-nilgirithar1065_fcw.jpg  

Old 8th January 2010, 17:36   #218
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
it would be best. 1000 would be an easy number at that price. Many state Govt departments as well as Police depertments would also be highly interested in this. Just Perfect..
Quote:
Originally Posted by propeller View Post
You nailed it. Police department - My uncle who is an ADGP said he would be getting one himself . He now has Bolero and scorpio all " G " registered for himself .
Quote:
i dont think M&M will launch it as a niche lifestyle vehicle, because they already know the failure of the getaway in india.

they cant make it too stripped down as invader, that also didnt set the sales charts on fire!

so i expect M&M to price wisely and load it smartly!

I am in govt. service, and my next job holds out the threat of having to use an 4x4. ;-D

And I was about to ask in the M&M in auto expo thread whether the Thar would be available under the DGS&D rate contract.

Invaders may not fit the job. Do not ask too much details about why* - I am speaking from a purely babu perspective; not 4x4 or personal perspective.

* - why are ambys still selling?
Old 8th January 2010, 17:41   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
4. And the bombshell, the base version without AC will be slightly over 6 Lakhs Ex-Showroom.

Well, M&M has just announced the Xylo D2 for 6.3L ex-showroom. This is a vehicle with lot of metal, CRDe engine, PS, Dual-AC, Immobilizer, IFS, Multi-link rear suspension, disc brakes, 3-row seating etc etc.

Compare this is to basic JEEP (Thar) with a beefy CRDe engine and 4WD - I am sure Mahindra can launch it at a very affordable price point. I think I will be a bit more greedy and pray that Mahindra launches the base version at just over 5L (not 6L - more closer to the Gypsy pricing). That might push me into disposing off the MM540 rusting in the back-yard and booking a Thar.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:55   #220
Senior - BHPian

Mr. Behram is a busy man in the autoexpo answering questions about 'our' THAR.

as per the talks i had with him, 'our' THAR will have lots of things wished by TBhp members.

many other things were disclosed, but i cant write them here, all i can say its time India is getting a desi version of Wrangler!

Old 8th January 2010, 17:56   #221

Now all you guys need is to see her in action.
Old 8th January 2010, 18:33   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Now all you guys need is to see her in action.
her or him, he or she?

what would you like to call 'our' THAR?
Old 8th January 2010, 18:36   #223
Team-BHP Support

This is where i get that feeling in my stomach, we all knew that it exists. Now we know that the men behind the scene will be doing justice to our needs also to the best extent possible.

But i still have the fear of corporate decision making! which will involve the launch date, positioning/pricing and the time lines.

Hope our dreams come true. Crosses everything and prays
Old 8th January 2010, 18:42   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is where i get that feeling in my stomach, we all knew that it exists. Now we know that the men behind the scene will be doing justice to our needs also to the best extent possible.

But i still have the fear of corporate decision making! which will involve the launch date, positioning/pricing and the time lines.

Hope our dreams come true. Crosses everything and prays
you mean to say Babus of M&M?

they will do anything to please their bosses.

but i have complete trust in 'our' THAR man, Mr. Behram.
Old 8th January 2010, 22:11   #225
BHPian

will the thar have a variant with a hard top or a lockable cabin?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks