Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2010, 15:46   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Look closely it is this thing only under all the mess.. They have named this one "Thar Adventure". So the hope still remains for the actual "THAR".
this hope against hope should be a sign to MM to launch RHD european THAR in india!
Old 6th January 2010, 15:56   #77
BANNED

Anyone has the specs for the engine, suspension, transmission. Till now we are only judging it by its look. Irrelevant actually.

Is it supposed to be the exact same as the European model?

To me it looks like they could not get the actual Indian THAR together for the Auto Expo and instead got a hurriedly jazzed up Euro spec model to take its place instead.

I am an optimist
Old 6th January 2010, 15:57   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
And I am the only one who see's potential in this. Never cared about the cosmetics anyways.

Look at it whithout the bling.

Bring it on Mahindra, my bhangar wala is going to be be happy to see what all shiney stuff comes off this vehicle.

Whats the price? That would be the clincher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Rightly put spitfire as production model will be without all this bling and of course when launched in India pricing will be the key as always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
I too think it's a great vehicle and been waiting for one,but M&M should get it right this time, the price and quality[wouldn't want to pay for stuff I am going to throw away]. They do not have to provide all the bit in the wish list, give factory support for all the addition for serious off roading. get a basic one out and people will buy.An alternative to buying a used Jeep and building on it, same thing but with a new vehicle. hence the price is a issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Strip down the vehicle. Keep it plain jane without any frills and reduce the price.
i hope some one in MM reads this!

as some one rightly said "This JEEP is not a SUV, and the SUV is not a JEEP!"

potential owners/buyers of THAR will not looking for AC, BLINGs and other comforts, they just want a low cost 4WD hardcore offroad vehicle!
Old 6th January 2010, 16:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Anyone has the specs for the engine, suspension, transmission. Till now we are only judging it by its look. Irrelevant actually.

Is it supposed to be the exact same as the European model?

To me it looks like they could not get the actual Indian THAR together for the Auto Expo and instead got a hurriedly jazzed up Euro spec model to take its place instead.

I am an optimist
last expo was held in 2008, its held every two years and still M&M couldnt get a RHD THAR!

i think M&M is the ONLY indian manufacturer displaying a LHD vehicle/concept to the indian market, that shows or reflects how serious M&M is about fullfilling the desires of indian 4WD enthusiast!
Old 6th January 2010, 16:33   #80
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
how serious M&M is about fullfilling the desires of indian 4WD enthusiast!
If Mr Dhabar wasn't on here I couldn't have been so positive. Some of his posts on the wish list thread and then the spy pics of a fast MM550 on some expressway makes me think that maybe....

Like I said I am an optimist.
Old 6th January 2010, 16:39   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
In my opinion the second hand market for MM540 civilian models will get effected as Thar will bring back MM540 which was supposed to be extinct.
Cj 500 D doesnt command resale vale of MM540 in off road circles. Thats because it is still available in the form of Major. Expect similar behaviour.

However there would be great demand for MM550 NGCS army versions specially withhard core off roaders. The reason it isnt available to general public and has solid axle.

Hence restorations will go on...but mainly for MM550 NGCS army
If there is no M&M way, go your own way and build your own Thar from ex-army disposals.
Old 6th January 2010, 17:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I guess so but the values he was quoting was in the higher range something around 4.7 to 5.3 or something like that.

Sorry for not putting it properly. What i tried to convey was related to the metro cities particularly in the context of Delhi as after the Euro IV comes up probably one can't buy new gypsy in proper Delhi.
I agree with Kandisa here. That is why Maruti didnt even put Gypsy for display. But they did the expected, Maruti is planning to launch Sx4 4x4.
i really liked this, although its not a proper offroader, but its a good soft offroader, provided they cost it in 8 lac bracket.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsci0053.jpg  

Mahindra Thar revealed at Autoexpo 2010-dsci0052.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 17:22   #83
AVR
BHPian

I think this thread should be closed and the cost of (hosting this thread + the average money value of time spent on the thread) with a a few zeros at the end should be handed over to the most enthu representative on the Mahindra stall at the Expo.

Am in Delhi for the Expo on Saturday so I could handover the bill

Cheers,
Adi
Old 6th January 2010, 17:45   #84
Senior - BHPian

If Thar is priced between 6 to 7 lakhs on-road it will make a small dent to what is going on in the offroad scene that too only to the sale of new Gypsy. But if one 4x4 version, very basic is launched between 3 to 4 lakhs on-road it will make a huge-huge dent and all ORTs will be full of Thar..

Wishful again.
Old 6th January 2010, 17:51   #85
Senior - BHPian

Very very wishful. Hope that happens.

Seeing things how they are now I think the normal 540's, Gypsy and SWB's should always command a good price in the market.

OT. Imagine, the Classic being rolled out exactly the way it left the market in terms of aesthetic coupled with a better motor to meet emission norms, priced less than 5L. I did say imagine. I am game. Here we go, wishing again.
Old 6th January 2010, 18:48   #86

Dear All, Autoshow cars are made for autoshows. Production cars are designed, homologated, manufactured and sold in the market as PRODUCTION cars.

Take Heart Guys! How could this get homologated? Think about it!

-Cyrus
Old 6th January 2010, 19:39   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
we certainly dont want this atleast!
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! hold on to your horses guys. No one is giving this THAR to any one. As far as I understand this one is a left hand drive meant for export only. So even if you wanted one you could not get one (Unless you are willing to go through the whole 9 yards with importing it)

On the other hand I think if one takes care of the Chrome and other bling items and looks beyond them for now it seems like a fine and capable vehicle to me. But I dont think we will see it on Indian soil anytime soon.
Old 6th January 2010, 20:12   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Dear All, Autoshow cars are made for autoshows. Production cars are designed, homologated, manufactured and sold in the market as PRODUCTION cars.

Take Heart Guys! How could this get homologated? Think about it!

-Cyrus
Well Thanks, thats a relief.. but can u atleast confirm, when it will be launched here?
& why so delay for Indian launch even though people here are WAITING to grab it & still M&M is planning for offshore market even if it will be a new/ unsure market for such vehicles, knowing they still has got better quality JEEPs (Rubicaon / Unlimited) to get their hands on.

So what exactly is the plan?
Old 6th January 2010, 20:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

im just VERY much curious about who in MM took the decision to show a LHD vehicle of all the vehicles at their disposal?

it has more chrome and bling than a rappers car!

who is this smart A$$?
Old 6th January 2010, 20:38   #90
BHPian

So, in the End ...

What do we have?

A LHD piece from the dockyard - dressed up with loose fitting bling.
This thread and numerous others led me to believe that there would indeed be a launch or serious display of a model to come to indian showrooms.

This display piece does not indicate any such plans. I mean, infact it indicates otherwise. If Mahindra were to launch anything in this line in near future, the show piece would have been made more relevant/ meaningful.

So, all the jeep fans, lets get back to mayapuri and get us the disposals. Mahindra Thar is not coming this year or next.

Good thing about this auto expo is that many new cars are coming. So some other manufacturer might be checking out the 4x4 demand here and may come up with something good.

This expo is all about Tata. I just wish they had invested in a basic off roading 4x4 design. We would be playing in mud now (at the lowest price) rather than hitting F5 on these threads!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks