Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 13:58   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats on the vehicle Nitin!
Regarding the price, well as others have said its a little pricey, but if you're ok with it, then it should be ok, Dont worry about it.

Tyres I would recommend BF Goodrich, Very good tires and not that expensive too. I paid 4.1k a tyre from Karol Bagh.
Further you said that its an Goverment auction gypsy, so my guess is that you will not be able to re-register it in the same city or state where it has been auctioned. i think that this is the rule, so please check about it. I am saying this as I too bought a 1965 WILLYS which was auctioned by the UP State Elect Board (UPSEB) in Gaziabad, so I was not able to register it in Gaziabad and had to get it registered in Punjab!!!
Thanx Harjeev. Yes I too had a feeling that I paid a bit too much for it. But since there were not many good MPFI kings available, I didn't have many bargaining points and had to pay.

I read somewhere on t-bhp that Yoko Geolanders 215/70 are 4.6K each. Which of these two will you suggest, considering that price difference is not much.

I had asked an RTO guy, and he told me that I will be able to re-register it in same state, let me again re-confirm that.

\N
Old 20th January 2010, 14:00   #32
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yoko Geolandar A/T - great tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Thanx Harjeev. Yes I too had a feeling that I paid a bit too much for it. But since there were not many good MPFI kings available, I didn't have many bargaining points and had to pay.

I read somewhere on t-bhp that Yoko Geolanders 215/70 are 4.6K each. Which of these two will you suggest, considering that price difference is not much.

I had asked an RTO guy, and he told me that I will be able to re-register it in same state, let me again re-confirm that.

\N
Old 20th January 2010, 14:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

are sumos being supplied to Indian army?
Old 20th January 2010, 14:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

both yoko's and bf's have their own fan following. me personally, i liked the sidewall and tread pattern of the bf's better than the other tyres available in the market. not to mention that the bf's are great for snow, gravel,etc which one might encounter for off road and high altitude trips and they are cheaper than the other tyres available

Last edited by harjeev : 20th January 2010 at 14:48.
Old 21st January 2010, 14:31   #35
BHPian

Rear seats

Hi Guys,

I have fitted Cielo front seats in my gypsy and they are very good. For rear, I bought custom made seats from Mayapuri, but they are very poorly made and are torturous to sit it.

Please suggest which seats would be the best fit for rear (front facing). I am thinking of either Versa or Esteem rear seat. Any other suggestions?

P.S. Sorry, still no pics. The friend, who is overseeing restoration in home town isn't very computer savvy. This week-end my younger bro will be going there; I will ask him to click a few.

\N
Old 21st January 2010, 15:05   #36
BHPian

ntomer - can you please post some pics of the front seat and how much did these cost?

cheers
Ankit
Old 21st January 2010, 15:13   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
ntomer - can you please post some pics of the front seat and how much did these cost?

cheers
Ankit
Buddy,

My bro will be going to home town and will click pics on the week-end. But I am going to Auli this week-end and will be back only on Wednesday (27th Jan). So that's the earliest I can post those pics :-(

This Auli trip is an earlier commitment to my project team, which I can not break :-( I would have loved to spend these 4 days working on my Gypsy, but can't do much about it now :-(

The seat cost me 2K, from Mayapuri. And they are really comfy. Earlier I was thinking about Innova seats, but found Cielo's to be much better.

\N
Old 28th January 2010, 20:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
ntomer;1689773] I closed the deal for 1.8L, it included a hard top, Cielo seats for the front, and Gypsy front facing seats for the rear.
Congratulations buddy. There are very few people on the forum who haven't been bitten by the gypsy or the jeep bug. Join the gang. Of course, I'm still waiting to join the gang.

I was quoted 2.1L for the same gypsy and even 1.8L sounds expensive. However, it's hard to put a price on such beauties so, accept whatever you got and spend money at the right place restoring her to her prime.
Speak with Harjeev - would never go wrong with his advice.

With regards to the mechanical, from what I've noticed/read on the forum, If you're spending the just on the basic restoration, then I would suggest get used to the rattle and regular visit to the service stations. Quality and reliability are the 2 words which are not in the dictionary of Mayapuri mechanics. So each time your gypsy should misbehave, take her to MASS/your mechanic and get her the shot. The advantage of this is, for each service station visit, you'll get to know her inside out. The downside is, you might just get fed up and sell her off.

Cheers!
m2s
Old 29th January 2010, 09:38   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to 'hear' about the progress being made to the Gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
both yoko's and bf's have their own fan following. me personally, i liked the sidewall and tread pattern of the bf's better than the other tyres available in the market. ...
100% agree. The sidewall protection of BFG is miles ahead of any other tyre -- Yoko Geo;s included. GREAT for rocks/gravel etc..

Quote:
...For rear, I bought custom made seats from Mayapuri, but they are very poorly made and are torturous to sit it.

Please suggest which seats would be the best fit for rear (front facing). I am thinking of either Versa or Esteem rear seat. Any other suggestions?
I would say, get custom seats made from a good place. Like the old premier padmini/ambassador types, and have them fully folding/reclining so that you have a bed at back.
Old 29th January 2010, 11:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Nice to 'hear' about the progress being made to the Gypsy.
Ah... Sarcasm :-)

Today evening, I am going to my home town - Bulandshahr (I guess you are from Saharanpur, so you must know where it is) to check the progress on restoration work. On Monday, I am gonna post hell lot of pics :-)

The engine work and denting is completed, now the following remains -

1. Registration
2. ECM to be welded to body (theft prevention)
3. Gear locks (initially only for gear lever, later for 4x4 lever as well)
4. Closing air inlet vends
5. Steering lock (the stick type)
6. Seat belt (self-retracting)
7. Strengthening the rear-door hinge so that it can take weight of stepny
8. Color (Deep blue for body, matte black for top, wheel-arches and bumpers) – Both inside and outside
9. Floor carpeting
10. Interior carpeting (including doors)
11. Rear seat (Should I go for one single sofa, or 2 separate seats, exactly like in front)
12. Cabin light
13. Fog lamps
14. Stereo fitting
15. Steering thickening – by covering it with leather
16. Seat covers
17. 215/75/R15 (Yokohama Geolander A/T or Michelin Latitude Cross A/T)
18. Rear CFLs (after couple of months)
19. AC (after couple of months)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I would say, get custom seats made from a good place. Like the old premier padmini/ambassador types, and have them fully folding/reclining so that you have a bed at back.
I am also thinking on the same lines. There are a couple of guys in my home town who make such seats. If I can get a good seat from them, I will go for it, otherwise it will be two Cielo front seats for rear as well.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 29th January 2010, 11:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
I was quoted 2.1L for the same gypsy and even 1.8L sounds expensive. However, it's hard to put a price on such beauties so, accept whatever you got and spend money at the right place restoring her to her prime.
I know I paid a bit too much for her. But I was kinda fed up of going to Mayapuri every week-end, and scouting Karol Bagh for Gypsies, so .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
With regards to the mechanical, from what I've noticed/read on the forum, If you're spending the just on the basic restoration, then I would suggest get used to the rattle and regular visit to the service stations. Quality and reliability are the 2 words which are not in the dictionary of Mayapuri mechanics. So each time your gypsy should misbehave, take her to MASS/your mechanic and get her the shot. The advantage of this is, for each service station visit, you'll get to know her inside out. The downside is, you might just get fed up and sell her off.
I have also get her suspension, and engine over-hauled and also thorough denting work to get rid of rattles. And I am not getting the work done at Mayapuri, I am getting it done at a Bosch workshop in my home town. The only reason I opted for that was, I thoroughly trust those guys, and I have friends there who are overseeing the work for me, which I would not have been able to do here.

And I have an idea, that it will take some time (2-3 months) to make her behave as I want her to. And I am ready to go through that grind :-)

Cheers

Nitin
Old 25th February 2010, 11:29   #42
BHPian

An update:

I was trying to register my Gypsy all these days and have stopped the work. Registration turned out to be a royal pain. The same certificate of Gypsy was in the name of Mayapuri dealer; he sold it to me. Due to this, it had to be registered first in his name, and then mine.

And here was the twist, he had address proof of only Delhi, where it couldn't be registered (Euro-II). And without address proof, nobody was ready to register it in UP.

In desperation, I decided to register it in Punjab (Zira) and contacted Harjeev. And he offered to help me - thanks mate :-) But on this forum itself, I have read people saying that for Cops, PB-47 vehicles are fair game; and are considered shady. So I was still trying for UP registration.

In the process, I pulled so many strings, that they had the combined force of a strong rope :-) I managed the near impossible - I got it registered in an NCR town, and that too directly to my name. Yes, I am the second owner on RC, and it is registered in NCR :-)

So now, rest of the work begins. Gypsy is right now primed for painting; painting will begin today and will be over in 7-8 days. After that I plan to bring it to Delhi and got the following done at either MSM, OKhla or MotorCarft, Sahibabad. Please tell me, which one will be better?

Planned work; please comment if I am missing something -

1. Regular service
2. Engine Flush
3. Radiator flush (I am confused, whether to flush the existing radiator or buy a new larger one - for AC)
4. Engine de-carbonization
5. All fluids to be changed
6. All filters to be changed.
7. Service both axles
8. Service brakes

And this time I promise that I will definitely post pics by Monday (which incidentally is my B'day :-)

\N
Old 25th February 2010, 20:22   #43
BHPian

Bump...

Hey guys, please help out. Where should I take the Gypsy - Motorcraft or MSM Okhla. Today I visited MSM and though they tried to show confidence in servicing a Gypsy, they didn't have any spares.

I also went to MAGP, Okhla for spares but even they didn't have any and needed at least a week's time to procure something :-(

I have already lost more than 4 weeks in registration, please help me out in expediting the rest of work.

Nitin
Old 26th February 2010, 01:13   #44
BHPian

Personally i will prefer Motorcraft as the Service Manager "Rahul" himself has a MPFI Gypsy, also another Bhpian who services Ex-Army Gypsies buys parts from Motorcraft.
Old 26th February 2010, 01:52   #45
BHPian

Quote:
An update:

I was trying to register my Gypsy all these days and have stopped the work. Registration turned out to be a royal pain. The same certificate of Gypsy was in the name of Mayapuri dealer; he sold it to me. Due to this, it had to be registered first in his name, and then mine.

And here was the twist, he had address proof of only Delhi, where it couldn't be registered (Euro-II). And without address proof, nobody was ready to register it in UP.

In desperation, I decided to register it in Punjab (Zira) and contacted Harjeev. And he offered to help me - thanks mate :-) But on this forum itself, I have read people saying that for Cops, PB-47 vehicles are fair game; and are considered shady. So I was still trying for UP registration.

In the process, I pulled so many strings, that they had the combined force of a strong rope :-) I managed the near impossible - I got it registered in an NCR town, and that too directly to my name. Yes, I am the second owner on RC, and it is registered in NCR :-)

\N
Nitin, I am in the same boat, used the same approach, but my "strings havent become a rope yet". Can you help me here by pointing in the right direction? I'll PM you my number.
Its been a month now, and I can take my vehicle out of Noida coz it still says A/F I

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks