Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2010, 15:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
That is a misconception about rock crawlers. Infact it is the other way around as you will just love the new found cruising/accelerating capabilities of such a Gypsy. If you are here in Bangalore some time, drive my Gypsy to feel the difference and the impact rockcrawlers have on highway driving.
Hey Shan,
What about that t-case mounts issue that you were facing?
Would this need to be addressed by all of us when we switch to rock-crawlers?
Or do you think that it would not cause a problem?
Thanks Shan.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 7th March 2010, 16:08   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
...What about that t-case mounts issue that you were facing? Would this need to be addressed by all of us when we switch to rock-crawlers? Or do you think that it would not cause a problem?...
That aspect of possible t-case mount breakage will come into play ONLY in 4x4 L-1 situations and not on highway driving. Best option -- just keep 3 - 4 t-case mounts extra with you all the time (each one costs just ~70 bucks). So, even if it goes away, replacing is just a 5 minute job at best.

I did blow 3-4 mounts a while back but once I changed all three mounts at the same time, I have not experienced any issues there after. But I do keep 3 extra mounts with me all the time on OTR's.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 7th March 2010 at 16:41.
Old 7th March 2010, 16:33   #63
Senior - BHPian

Khan Bhai, what is the initial cost for the rockcrawler gearset?
Old 7th March 2010, 17:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Yes it does. but making an extra "L" bracket for the mount and adding 2 extra hinges to the tail door solves the problem. Don't need to re-locate the wheel inside the cabin unless you don't intend to use the rear part of the gypsy for anything else
I thought it would be better to keep the wheel inside and stick the spare-fuel can on the outside. Petrol smell wouldn't be an issue in that case. Once I am back from Ladakh I will put the wheel back after doing the mods mentioned by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
i spoke with a MASS engineer at Vitesse andheri. He said they avoid doing a factory AC Setup on Gypsy as it has lot of issues.
Thanks for the input Desmo bhai. I am holding off the AC install for now until I do more research (and speak with Imran bhai).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
There is an AC wala in bandra - Israr Bhai.. If you're interested, I can send you his number.
He installed an AC setup in my gypsy (without heater), but he's done a very neat job - you can take a look at the pics on the htread below, or just drop by my house, to check out the cooling as well
I am calling you to setup the meeting. In the meantime please PM me Israr Bhai's number.

Quote:
If you are here in Bangalore some time, drive my Gypsy to feel the difference and the impact rockcrawlers have on highway driving.

I think Vijay (swastikviji) is the best person to answer that as he now has lockers in his Gypsy and has done the Leh trip so can speak from first hand experience -- would he in hindsight feel that lockers would have made a difference.
Sir - I am in Bangalore often (I work for Cisco). May I please have your phone number. I was about to call you last week from HVKumar's phone but I thought I'd wait until I had done my homework first.

Thanks for the inputs guys. Now I need to meet up again with KSM, Imran Bhai, Israr Bhai, Sultan Bhai and everyone else.

KSM - need to meet the guy who will do the seat install and also make me a soft-top.
Old 7th March 2010, 18:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

GSF

please pass on the details of seats and soft top once you get those. i too wanna get those done. have you finalised the seats. Kaushik and Devang suggested CB as the place for cheap n good seats.
Old 7th March 2010, 19:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
I thought it would be better to keep the wheel inside and stick the spare-fuel can on the outside. Petrol smell wouldn't be an issue in that case. Once I am back from Ladakh I will put the wheel back after doing the mods mentioned by you.
I have also done something similar in my Gypsy. Almost every Gypsy owner I talked to, advised me against mounting spare tyre on the rear door; so I asked my denter to make a mount in the back (behind the rear seat) for fastening the spare tyre and he did a good job of it. Here are a couple of pics.

\N
Attached Thumbnails
Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!-imag0108.jpg  

Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!-imag0107.jpg  

Old 7th March 2010, 21:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

Can someone point me to an electronic copy of the Gypsy 1.3 MPFi workshop manual?
Old 8th March 2010, 13:10   #68
BHPian

GS,
As far as I know, putting the petrol container outside, on the door is not a very good idea - since its a liquid, it'll be quite heavy, and also the capacity is only 23 litres (i think), and you may have to carry 2 containers..
Confirm these things beforehand with someone who's more knowledgeable..

I've pm'd you Israr Bhai's number..
Old 8th March 2010, 15:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KSM, from whatever I have read here, you seem to have modified your gypsy to a plan and the results have been good.

Also, I am no Gypsy expert. I am just another offroading enthusiast who happens to use a Gypsy for it and in the process I have learnt few things, which I am happy to share. Believe me, under the hood (engine area) I know almost nothing and feel very uneasy when people call me a gypsy expert/guru etc -- I think that's how false gods are created
Sir, it is only due to your humble nature that you dont think that way....but trust me all of us look up to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

KSM - need to meet the guy who will do the seat install and also make me a soft-top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
GS,
As far as I know, putting the petrol container outside, on the door is not a very good idea - since its a liquid, it'll be quite heavy, and also the capacity is only 23 litres (i think), and you may have to carry 2 containers..
I dint have a choice so i carried the fuel in plastic cans inside the HT gypsy. The only tricky patch on the regular route is the Tandi-Leh section(380 kms if i remember right). You MAY need the extra 20L fuel here.

We also did the Nubra-Pangong via Wari la section and then the Marsmik la(partially) where you will need more fuel which can be managed.

As far as the fuel can on the rear door is concerned it should not be a problem if you have it for these short sections.

Sure, lets meet up sometime.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the fuel can on the rear door is concerned it should not be a problem if you have it for these short sections.
The front and the rear and two sections that bounce the most. Wont be such a good idea. Also, in case of leakage or breakage, you may simply not notice! Dont want to be stranded on the less beaten path in case you take one.
A lot depends on when you go. The BRO wont have the roads worked up mostly until late July. If you are going sooner than that except a bumpy ride. In fact any time later as well, More Plains have virtually no roads and thats the place you take the most detours to go where no roads can be seen!! Just to go peep into the valley a few kms away.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 8th March 2010 at 16:04.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:21   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I dint have a choice so i carried the fuel in plastic cans inside the HT gypsy. The only tricky patch on the regular route is the Tandi-Leh section(380 kms if i remember right). You MAY need the extra 20L fuel here.
Performance auto in Noida fits an auxiliary tank of 20L for Rs. 6000/- Won't that be a much better and safer option?

\N
Old 8th March 2010, 16:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

In that case what options do I have? Mount the cans on the doors? I'd really prefer to avoid keeping them inside the car.

I will be carrying 2 x 20 liter cans.

Will reply to the other posts shortly - running to go meet Imran Bhai and check out his Gypsy
Old 8th March 2010, 16:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Performance auto in Noida fits an auxiliary tank of 20L for Rs. 6000/- Won't that be a much better and safer option?

\N
True, but 6k is a lot of $ to spend for just 1 trip to ladakh(my case).
I bought plastic cans for 50 bucks each and used them.

For some one who wants to do frequent trips to interior locations this would be the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
The front and the rear and two sections that bounce the most. Wont be such a good idea. Also, in case of leakage or breakage, you may simply not notice! Dont want to be stranded on the less beaten path in case you take one.......More Plains have virtually no roads and thats the place you take the most detours to go where no roads can be seen!! Just to go peep into the valley a few kms away.
Very True. thats the reason why i carried the cans in the HT.(cheap and effective). Also, as soon as i got onto the More planes i transferred most of the fuel and went all out.
Old 8th March 2010, 16:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For some one who wants to do frequent trips to interior locations this would be the best idea.

Very True. thats the reason why i carried the cans in the HT.(cheap and effective). Also, as soon as i got onto the More planes i transferred most of the fuel and went all out.
Absolutely! Thats the trick we use on the bullet!!! Keep transferring fuel from cans into the tank every 100kms or so and the cans keep getting lighter on petrol and the mind off all the worries!

But its an interesting issue. How does one avoid/reduce the smell inside the vehicle? Needs thinking. Less fuel in cans so less fumes but you probably will still end up with a vehicle smelling like its leaking. Its such a non-issue on a bike so never thought of it!
Old 8th March 2010, 16:59   #75
BHPian

Quote:
This will be useful later on as well. Fuel quality in the interiors is usually suspect, I always prefer to tank up on fuel in Delhi/big towns, and buy as less as possible from interiors. IMO, this will be a good investment, which will give me peace of mind :-)

\N

Most Viewed