Old 6th April 2010, 15:18   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Bravo! Good Job!

BUT, when is she getting dirty????
Old 6th April 2010, 15:38   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
...Some pics of the Skoda Laura seats I had installed in the Gypsy...
How much do they cost? And is it easy to fit these or was any alteration required?
Old 6th April 2010, 16:47   #213
Senior - BHPian

Looks comfy! Any plans to make the rear benches more family-worthy? If so, do share the details.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:26   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Constant temperatures at 110kph which is what I was cruising at. I did 1000kms in 13 hours non-stop.

Only when you encounter gradient changes and need to drag in 3rd, 4th does the needle climb up.

Problem now is that in traffic the needle rises fast. Possibly due to heavy clutch usage coupled with lack of air-flow. Also the fact that the engine is running leaner now means less fuel for cooling it down. The last issue I can help once I install the Race-Dynamics ECM.

Cost I cannot comment on because I haven't ordered it yet. Will be installing in May 1st week once my finances recover.
My problem is just the opposite!
My car has an electric fan between the radiator and engine instead of the mechanical. So my car maintains half way mark in slow speed and high traffic stop start situations with AC. But, the moment i am on a 80kmph+ cruise she starts heating up with AC on! So now my choice is to, do with slow speed with AC in same set up, or to convert to mechanical and have problem with slow speed with AC?! But I will also try RD EMS, in case it changes the engines operating temp and load. I guess they are coming to Mumbai in 3 weeks with their new EMS. Cost around 30K, Im told.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:08   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
How much do they cost? And is it easy to fit these or was any alteration required?
Laura seats cost me Rs.6000 in exchange with my stock new seats. I wasn't sorry to see them go. A few days later Desmo also was offered the same deal but he didn't go through with it. Perhaps the seats are still available at the dealership.

I'm going to give them the stanley leather treatment very soon so all those savings are going out the window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Looks comfy! Any plans to make the rear benches more family-worthy? If so, do share the details.
Nilesh - Not at this time. They are coming out for the Leh trip but I cannot think of a better solution. It is horribly uncomfortable in the back for more than 1 hour so I encourage my friends to get into another car. Need to drive a Gypsy with CFLs to decide if they are worth it.

Any seat in the rear will have to be DEEP with hard cushion on the bottom followed by softer cushion on top. Same for the seat-back. A grab bar will also help. The ride is just so bad I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay behind unless you make a mini swimming-pool in which they can float. Might help with the ride up front as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Bravo! Good Job!

Alibaug...see you there

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
My problem is just the opposite!
My car has an electric fan between the radiator and engine instead of the mechanical. So my car maintains half way mark in slow speed and high traffic stop start situations with AC. But, the moment i am on a 80kmph+ cruise she starts heating up with AC on! So now my choice is to, do with slow speed with AC in same set up, or to convert to mechanical and have problem with slow speed with AC?! But I will also try RD EMS, in case it changes the engines operating temp and load. I guess they are coming to Mumbai in 3 weeks with their new EMS. Cost around 30K, Im told.
I don't think the ECM from RD is intended to help with this problem so it is hard to judge if it will be worth the effort. IMO unless you have a performance exhaust and intake, the ECM is not worth installing. Yes it costs around 30k.

Have you checked everything else? Why don't you try switching back to the mechanical fan to evaluate the results? I think there is another thread about this because I remember reading about this issue. Let me go check it out.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2010 at 15:35. Reason: Strictly no more than two smilies per post please. Corrected
Old 7th April 2010, 12:46   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Gypsy is now officially known as "Geoff". Geoff the Gypsy

Geoff carried me and my cousin from Mumbai to Bangalore and back. During this trip over the Good-Friday weekend, we covered 2200kms.

Day 1: Mum - Kolhapur (400km)
Day 2: Kolhapur - Bangalore (600km)
Day 3/4: local running (200km)
Day 5: Bangalore - Mumbai (1000km)

No problems to report except a slight buzzing near the instrument cluster while accelerating in 5th gear.
This is great GS. Was this the 1st out station trip for the Geoff?

Quote:
Modifications done:

1. LED lighting in driver and passenger footwells
2. LED lighting for main cabin
3. LED lighting for the rear cabin
4. 2 x Hella Rallye 4000 (driving beam) with metal rod adjusters to the bonnet
5. Custom free-flow headers, mid-pipe and exhaust muffler
6. K&N cold air intake
7. Replaced stock front bumper lighting with full orange indicator-ONLY
8. Moved parking light into the main headlight cluster
9. Installed side-indicators on the rear bumper to match the front
Please post some pictures of the install and also if you could share tentative cost/prices you paid for the above items, individually. I am also thinking of sprucing up my gypsy a little, so I would have a tentative idea on how much to pay in NCR!!!

Quote:
Got all this done in less than 24 hours and did the "reliability" testing on the drive back to Mumbai. Nothing has fallen off and the rough sounding exhausts have mellowed off as the carbon deposits lined the insides. Sounds GREAT now!
This is great. Had I been living in Mumbai I would have gone straight to your accessory shop guy for these thing. I havent been able to zero down on an accessory shop who I can trust!!!
Did you get all this done from the same guy or from different shops??

Quote:
I love the Hella lamps and I hope to have opportunities to use them. Kumta trip coming up this weekend (if not a night OTR) so there will be a chance to flip that switch!

ECM from Race-Dynamics not done yet. Pretty strung out for money at the moment so I will do this next month. It is required IMO as the engine runs a tad lean with the full system exhaust. The performance with the ECM switched on is night and day from stock - I drove another Gypsy with the ECM and boy was it a riot in the city!!
People have told me that when one get the headers with the FFE the exhaust note really changes. Though this sound is actually music to the ear how bothersome was the sound on high speeds on long drives. Is there any issue/ inconvenience etc!!!

Thanks buddy and don't forget to post the pictures
Old 8th April 2010, 02:23   #217
Senior - BHPian

GS - you are too fast man. Please share pics of the new stuff installed or better a video.
Old 9th April 2010, 10:16   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
This is great GS. Was this the 1st out station trip for the Geoff?
Indeed it was

Quote:
Please post some pictures of the install and also if you could share tentative cost/prices you paid for the above items, individually. I am also thinking of sprucing up my gypsy a little, so I would have a tentative idea on how much to pay in NCR!!!
I'll post pics shortly. The price I paid for the install was on the higher side but you pay for quality and the quality of workmanship on Geoff (my Gypsy) has me impressed.

I paid roughly 50k for the work out of which close to 30% was labor. Initially I thought this was a bit high considering that the effect of all the inputs was just incremental in the overall Gypsy experience. Internal lighting, external lighting, full system exhaust and cold-air intake. Doesn't sound like a lot of work. Once you live with the Gypsy for a few days after the install and feel the positive effects these changes have on the overall ownership experience, then it all starts to make sense.

Quote:
Did you get all this done from the same guy or from different shops??
Remember...I got all this done in Bangalore at Ranjith Autocare Center.

Quote:
People have told me that when one get the headers with the FFE the exhaust note really changes. Though this sound is actually music to the ear how bothersome was the sound on high speeds on long drives. Is there any issue/ inconvenience etc!!!
It growls at low revs and howls at high revs which is nice enough on short drives in the city. Once you are plugging along at 100kph in 5th, this is where the pipe kicks in and it sounds like you have a pack of wolves in the back of the car howling the whole time. Gets annoying after 3-4 hours. I pack ear-plugs on long drives anyway (habit from my biking tours) so I recommend ear-plugs to anyone who goes through with this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
GS - you are too fast man. Please share pics of the new stuff installed or better a video.
I will in a bit - been unusually busy at work thanks to the year-end closures and ego-massaging and PTSD management
Old 13th April 2010, 06:22   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Bravo! Good Job!

Tejas...dirty enough for you now?

gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2010, 16:13   #220
Senior - BHPian

So finally Geoff gets to be a dirty boy. good that you guys had a lot of fun. all videos were excellent.

So whats the next upgrade that you are planning.
Old 13th April 2010, 18:47   #221
Senior - BHPian

Next upgrades in the order they will appear:

1. RaceDynamics ECM
2. Remove rear fender and relocate lights
3. Dead pedal fitment
4. Under-chassis rust-proof coating
5. Koni shocks / Old Man Emu shocks
6. CFLs
Old 13th April 2010, 19:07   #222
Senior - BHPian

I am still wondering why you got a gypsy and getting so many mods done, especially on a new one.

Drive it stock for sometime man
Old 13th April 2010, 21:58   #223
Senior - BHPian

Nothing I've done hasn't been useful

1. Laura seats - possibly the best mod I have done to Geoff
2. Full exhaust system - such a hoot to drive now and the increased performance on the highway is needed
3. Hella headlights - makes a huge difference in places with no street-lighting
4. Internal lighting - again a superb mod to do
5. Stereo - life is a littles less boring waiting at signals now
6. AC - can you imagine mumbai without an AC?

the rest of the stuff completes the picture. For me this is a daily drive and my only car. That I can take it for an OTR, wash it and take it to work the next day is just staggering! I love it!
Old 13th April 2010, 22:37   #224
BHPian

Dead pedal mod was something I will be getting done too - once i have the funds for a few other things.

What shocks do you plan on putting?
If you're going to go in for an SPOA in under three months, shouldnt you just wait it out, and put in the long travel shocks at the same time (as SPOA)?
I'm asking because even I'm considering replacing my shocks - but I'm still toying with the whole SPOA idea..
Old 13th April 2010, 23:13   #225
Senior - BHPian

same here but dont know how much it shall cost and whether it is an easy mod that can be done.

Do you have any mechanic in mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks