Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2011, 15:49   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Guru better to change it for a new cable,
Ok I will do that asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
hey guys just wanted to know is the front bumper custom made or a stock one.and where can i get it....
Bumper is custom made by Extremepower (Allan Almeida)
Old 20th April 2011, 19:42   #362
BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Bumper is custom made by Extremepower (Allan Almeida)[/quote]

How much did that cost you buddy.And where can i get it and how can i get it...
Old 20th April 2011, 20:12   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syedhafeez View Post
How much did that cost you buddy.And where can i get it and how can i get it...
You'll have to get in touch with Extremepower (Allan Almeida) for details.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:33   #364
Senior - BHPian

Is it plausible that water damage to the ECU can cause these performance issues I have been facing? After AKC/EXAMM last year I remember hosing down the car (even the interiors) and there may have been some water splashing on the ECU.

Water also leaks into the Gypsy during the rains from somewhere in front of the windshield and into the footwell (both sides) It is possible some of this water can come in contact with the ECU.

Is it possible to remove my ECU, fit another Gypsy ECU and do a test drive to see if there is any difference?

I am stumped to find any other explanation for the power loss. I am getting the petrol tank fuel pump checked tomorrow among other things.
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:47   #365
Senior - BHPian

All this can be done ^^. Where is your ECU placed? Personally, I feel if there would have been water inside the ECU you would have faced greater problems.

Spike
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:05   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Water also leaks into the Gypsy during the rains from somewhere in front of the windshield and into the footwell (both sides)
Hi,
Ventilation slots duct taped?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 3rd December 2011, 11:11   #367
BHPian

Guru, congratulations! But also a bit shocked at seeing the Gypsy up for sale in the classifieds. For the kit it has, the pricing is also a bit of a shocker!
codelust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:16   #368
Senior - BHPian

The Gypsy is no longer in the classifieds section and that is because I've decided that it is not worth selling it for a song after putting in all the effort/time/thought and depending on so many people like Arka, Khan, Allan, Vijaykumar, Vikram and others for guidance and help.

It means too much to let go and my wife told me "As long as it doesn't break your back...you can keep it". With that in mind I went to Zac (Ironman 4x4) and he let me test-drive my own Gypsy after outfitting it with the Nitro gas shocks. The difference in comfort was amazing! No more bouncy castle!

I wasn't planning on making a purchase that evening but I did! They were just too good to resist and the stock shocks looked like toothpicks. They were also busted up pretty bad. My back is thanking me for going with the Ironman 4x4 shocks. Yes OME was an option but there is no try before you buy so I didn't bother. OME is probably more tried and tested but the cost and the lack of trial options put me off. Plus Zac is an all-round good guy and a pleasure to do business with. In the next phase the full suspension kit will bolt on with the graded leaf springs, PU bushes and steering damper.

Another mod I did was to add the Lambda Free-Wheeling hubs. I don't know why I didn't bother to do this before! Instant difference in acceleration and handling and most importantly - BRAKING! No more inertia of axles, differential, propeller shaft to deal with, the car stops much more quickly and without swaying. I highly recommend you get the FWH just to improve braking even if the benefits to the gas efficiency are less obvious.

I am going from 235-75-15 back to 215-75-15 to improve the gas efficiency and acceleration. This will be done today.

From a weight-loss standpoint, I have removed the substantial petrol tank guard built by Allan. This thing will stop a bullet but at the moment I am not going to war! Around 18 kilos down now. Post this I will cut slots in the front bumper to reduce weight. I will be adding an air-scoop (functional) to the front right side of the bonnet. This will increase the cold air available to the K&N filter. The filter will be insulated from the rest of the engine bay.

Minor changes that should make the Gypsy far more usable as a regular drive.
gsferrari is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:22   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Gypsy is no longer in the classifieds section and that is because I've decided that it is not worth selling it for a song after putting in all the effort/time/thought and depending on so many people like Arka, Khan, Allan, Vijaykumar, Vikram and others for guidance and help.

It means too much to let go and my wife told me "As long as it doesn't break your back...you can keep it". With that in mind I went to Zac (Ironman 4x4) and he let me test-drive my own Gypsy after outfitting it with the Nitro gas shocks. The difference in comfort was amazing! No more bouncy castle!

I wasn't planning on making a purchase that evening but I did! They were just too good to resist and the stock shocks looked like toothpicks. They were also busted up pretty bad. My back is thanking me for going with the Ironman 4x4 shocks. Yes OME was an option but there is no try before you buy so I didn't bother. OME is probably more tried and tested but the cost and the lack of trial options put me off. Plus Zac is an all-round good guy and a pleasure to do business with. In the next phase the full suspension kit will bolt on with the graded leaf springs, PU bushes and steering damper.

Another mod I did was to add the Lambda Free-Wheeling hubs. I don't know why I didn't bother to do this before! Instant difference in acceleration and handling and most importantly - BRAKING! No more inertia of axles, differential, propeller shaft to deal with, the car stops much more quickly and without swaying. I highly recommend you get the FWH just to improve braking even if the benefits to the gas efficiency are less obvious.

I am going from 235-75-15 back to 215-75-15 to improve the gas efficiency and acceleration. This will be done today.

From a weight-loss standpoint, I have removed the substantial petrol tank guard built by Allan. This thing will stop a bullet but at the moment I am not going to war! Around 18 kilos down now. Post this I will cut slots in the front bumper to reduce weight. I will be adding an air-scoop (functional) to the front right side of the bonnet. This will increase the cold air available to the K&N filter. The filter will be insulated from the rest of the engine bay.

Minor changes that should make the Gypsy far more usable as a regular drive.
Hey Guru!

Thats great news!! i am sure the kit would have made a significant difference.

I hope you are planning to do a writeup once you are done with all the mods.
Old 27th February 2012, 15:19   #370
BHPian

Quote:

Good to hear that you've decided to retain your gypsy Guru. Can you share the cost of the Gas shocks and their make please?
Old 27th February 2012, 15:27   #371
Senior - BHPian

Hi Neville - Ironman 4x4 Nitro Gas shocks. Cost is 25K for a set of 4 shocks. Please contact Zac because I think the part numbers are different for front and rear.

How is your experience with OME? I recall you had imported a full set right?
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 15:33   #372
BHPian

Good to hear you are keeping the Gypsy. You've poured too much of love, effort and moolah into it let it go like that!

The thread now becomes more interesting to me as I'm a tourer and not very inclined towards the OTRs. I'm starting slowly from stock and doing incremental mods and will wait for your long term experience with the new shocks and get a set for myself later if all turns out well. Thanks!
Old 27th February 2012, 16:00   #373
Senior - BHPian

Even I am getting out of OTR and into Expedition mode...inspired by my friend Rahul Gavand and Allan Almeida who has built several expedition spec vehicles. The requirements are very different between OTR and trail/expedition driving. For the latter...survival is priority.

Been there...done that...had success and failure in the OTR scene but the costs associated with the frequent repairs have turned me off from the sport. I will still be a Marshal at TPC this year and join the BODA guys and the Mumbai guys on OTRs but my appetite for challenging obstacles isn't the same anymore.

FUN!
Old 27th February 2012, 16:27   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...he let me test-drive my own Gypsy after outfitting it with the Nitro gas shocks. The difference in comfort was amazing! No more bouncy castle!
We DEMAND pics

Good to know that you are not selling it after all
Old 27th February 2012, 16:31   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Neville - Ironman 4x4 Nitro Gas shocks. Cost is 25K for a set of 4 shocks. Please contact Zac because I think the part numbers are different for front and rear.

How is your experience with OME? I recall you had imported a full set right?
Thanks Guru. Mine's been a mixed experience with the OMEs. I feel they are absolutely awesome if
1. Your vehicle does not leave the road, I mean the on road ride is great.
2. Your vehicle isnt heavily loaded at all times

They should be able to manage moderate offroading like basic trail driving at slow speeds. Primarily they are very soft springs and marginally longer thereby the articulation they offer is great.

I would not recommend them to any serious offroader as they are very soft and tend to get out of shape very easily. As an example, after 6 months of on/off road use (including the ladakh trip) my front leafs acquired zigzag proportions of a snake However it was nothing that my pata-walla could not hammer back in place given their very soft and maleable nature.
As for the rear springs, there are 2 versions available; medium and heavy duty. I opted for the medium duty ones in the interests of comfort. However in hind sight I feel the heavy duty ones are better suited to our LWB Gypsies due to the extra weight on account of the chassis and body overhang. I managed to flatten my rear springs too after my Rancho shocks failed. Hope this helps.
satan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks