Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 14:12   #391
BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codelust View Post
Will be getting a pair of FWHs probably today itself. Time to go shopping for the Gypsy!

I was thinking of finding a way to clamp the plastic tank (or can?) to the side (around the wheel well area).
It has to be between the wheel well and the rear door. I had placed mine on the passenger side as I have a power socket in that corner for transferring fuel from the can to the main tank.

Quote:
I have carried a 10 liter can with me before in the Swift, but that was wedged between the driver's seat and the rear seat for stability. If we are looking to the lake district in Ladakh in one go, I'll need ~30 liters extra, that has to be at least two big sized cans, which can be a hairy prospect to secure to anything.
I picked up a 50L Blue coloured oil drum and used that for my Ladakh trip last year. This can has has a rib which is very useful for clamping to the body. See pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!-rear-view.jpg  

satan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 18:58   #392
BANNED

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
WOW - Any laurels to his credit? How many Rallies & 4x4 events has he setup vehicles? Type? Mods done?
Well, you will get to know about it very soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Thanks for asking that question Vikram.
I only knew about Zac dealing with Iron Man stuff.
Cheers,
Deepak
You guys need to go through this thread to know what's happening around.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...atrol-y61.html

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 1st March 2012 at 19:00.
Old 1st March 2012, 20:01   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be getting a pair of FWHs probably today itself. Time to go shopping for the Gypsy!

I was thinking of finding a way to clamp the plastic tank (or can?) to the side (around the wheel well area). I have carried a 10 liter can with me before in the Swift, but that was wedged between the driver's seat and the rear seat for stability. If we are looking to the lake district in Ladakh in one go, I'll need ~30 liters extra, that has to be at least two big sized cans, which can be a hairy prospect to secure to anything.

That is a really really interesting plot. I'm too getting quite interested in picking up a set soon. Anybody here who's running Blisten shocks to provide us a comparison?

Ketla2411, one of our BHPians had mentioned in some post that the Bilstein B6s were awesome on road as well as offroad. You can contact him for more info. These are available at Petes, Bangalore.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:32   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Thanks, I do know him since our track day meet some years back as well the 2010 Annual Bangalore OTR where he came in his Xenon.

He is a pretty modest guy! Congrats Memo on your Nissan Patrol - We hope to see you with it in the OTR circuits!
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:29   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM

Is there some confusion about who is an authorized dealer for Ironman?
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:55   #396
Senior - BHPian

Some images...

gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 18:52   #397
Senior - BHPian

Just switched back to Yokohama Geolandar 215-75-R15 Tires. Out with the 235-75-R15 Trepadors and in with the Yokos. Immediate improvement in ride quality, reduced rolling resistance, improved acceleration and engine response, handling and braking. Considering my bias towards expedition style running with the Gypsy in it's current avatar, these tires make more sense.

The Trepadors are fantastic...possibly the best off-roading tires I have used! But they are heavily off-road biased and not suitable for a daily-drive, trail/tarmac running Gypsy. These are up for sale now and I will be sad to see them go...sort of like de-evolution of the Gypsy which is slowly heading back towards stock condition. Diff-locks gone, MT tires gone, Heavy metal under-protection gone...

The results, so far, are great from a road-use standpoint. I'll just bypass those obstacles that are on the "High Difficulty" rating from now on
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 21:53   #398
BHPian

Why did you get rid of the diff-locks? Were they having that much of an adverse impact? I can imagine scenarios out here where they may come in handy during tours.
Old 7th March 2012, 07:07   #399
Senior - BHPian

No use for touring. Purely an off-road tool and that too in cases where big articulation puts wheels in the air. On road they are terrible with clanking through corners and at slow speeds. Turning radius increases by about 50% and life on the tight and winding streets of Bangalore becomes a nightmare.

Air lockers are a better option.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 12:54   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
No use for touring. Purely an off-road tool and that too in cases where big articulation puts wheels in the air. On road they are terrible with clanking through corners and at slow speeds. Turning radius increases by about 50% and life on the tight and winding streets of Bangalore becomes a nightmare.

Air lockers are a better option.
Actually, it makes no difference ON ROAD - Diff locks with clanking sound through corners at slow speeds indicate a different problem and it has no effect on turning radius AFAIK.
Old 7th March 2012, 13:03   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Diff locks with clanking sound through corners at slow speeds indicate a different problem
Can you please elaborate? Interested in the potential causes of this happening.
Old 7th March 2012, 13:14   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, it makes no difference ON ROAD - Diff locks with clanking sound through corners at slow speeds indicate a different problem and it has no effect on turning radius AFAIK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

I dunno Vikram - every vehicle I have driven with diff-locks does clank at slow speed tight corners without clutch.

Turning radius is increased with diff-locks...experienced by me in my own vehicle and other vehicles. There is a tendency to push wide in corners and this happens in slow and fast corners as well.

Potential causes? I think it is because the outer and inner rear wheels are forced to rotate at the same speed which is no good for corners and sends a backlash through the diff/crown pinion and prop-shaft. This causes the clunking sound.
Old 7th March 2012, 13:33   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Potential causes? I think it is because the outer and inner rear wheels are forced to rotate at the same speed which is no good for corners and sends a backlash through the diff/crown pinion and prop-shaft. This causes the clunking sound.

Why would you want to turn with your DIFF LOCKS engaged, unless in very rare situations? That is very bad for the driveline in general.

If I get stuck badly, I always try first with 4L, then 4L Rear Diff Lock, then Both Diff Locks. I have usually managed to get out of most situations with the 4L Rear Diff Lock alone.

My question was more towards, why a vehicle equipped with Diff Locks, but without engaging the Locks, would have a clunking sound, when turning at slow speeds?
Old 7th March 2012, 13:38   #404
Senior - BHPian

These are autolockers...always on
Old 7th March 2012, 15:55   #405
Senior - BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
ANSWER

Quote:
These are autolockers...always on
Now coming to the issue

Quote:
I dunno Vikram - every vehicle I have driven with diff-locks does clank at slow speed tight corners without clutch.

Turning radius is increased with diff-locks...experienced by me in my own vehicle and other vehicles. There is a tendency to push wide in corners and this happens in slow and fast corners as well.

The clunk sound is NOT a problem but the auto locker disengaging to let each wheel rotate at different speeds.

But..but It will not happen at every turn and corner. It would happen in situations where the torque generated at that speed is greater than the wheel slip.

The Prop shaft is not involved in this!
headers is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks