Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2011, 17:02   #331
BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

I noticed a big difference, before and after i got rid of the rear seats.
It really does feel lighter. And nimbler.

In Guru's case, I think the hard top is the main culprit.

And quite possibly, the 14,000kms.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:27   #332
BHPian

Re: Which 4x4 should I buy : Thinking out aloud. EDIT : Finalised on a white Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
I noticed a big difference, before and after i got rid of the rear seats.
It really does feel lighter. And nimbler.

In Guru's case, I think the hard top is the main culprit.

And quite possibly, the 14,000kms.
Imran, Your Gypsy was previously owned by the Original Guru of Mumbai OTRs Aasif Bhai . He has been working on Gypsies for more than two decades, so I am sure if he has ported & poilished the engine block to add a lot more pep to the stock block. I have driven your Gypsy with 33 inch mudzillas back in the monsoon of 2008 with negligible if any, impact on performance.

You will find your vehicle a lot more free revving than some of the newer vehicles like mine and Guru's given
1. the engine has covered more mileage and is a lot free'er
2. work has been performed on the engine
3. accelerator pedal spring has been replaced with a softer one that requires almost no effort to floor
4. the accelerator pedal restrictor (rev limiter) which is in the form of a small bolt, if i recollect correctly was also removed
5. there is a half FFE bolted onto the vehicle
Old 17th April 2011, 21:19   #333
Team-BHP Support

Guru 14k kms is good enough for that petrol engine to free up. Are you comparing the power to stock engines or tricked up ones as posted ^^
Old 18th April 2011, 00:27   #334
Senior - BHPian

@Jaggu - compared to Imran's vehicle but I didn't know his was "massaged". His Gypsy absolutely FLIES and the difference between my stock vehicle and his is astonishing. Tempted to get someone to do some "massaging" on my Gypsy as well (no pun intended).

Satan - thanks for clarifying...I still feel my Gypsy is a bit slow off the blocks. Perhaps we can meet sometime and you can drive it.

I have a full FFE and K&N Intake ready to install but I prefer to stay with the stock exhaust and install a snorkel. Can head-work on the engine make my vehicle a bit more peppy?
Old 18th April 2011, 13:13   #335
Team-BHP Support

I was sharing this info for someone else, maybe useful for you. Here is what i had in mind:

Stage 1.

Get engine base pukka. Start with compression check, will give you an idea where you stand. Get the ports cleaned up, polished and maybe do a little bit of porting also. I have seen the OE cast and they are pathetic a good clean up job itself will give a good boost. Also am not a big fan of shaving the head since offroaders have to be ready for scum of all petrol while on our trips.

Then plonk in a stock replacement filter, a K&N or Green add snorkle so that you get a CAI also at the end of the day. Drive around and then note down what would be the ideal header set up. I would recommend something which gives good torque figures from low to mid revs. This is the biggest pain area for Gypsies.

Now comes Stage 2

Start with a bigger throttle body, this really does help alot. Maybe keep this in mind while deciding on the header. Add the header and throttle body and you will definitely have a Now add a piggy back ECU which can give you one or two custom curves for offroad and maybe even onroad use.

This along with a crawler gear ratio is all that you need to make the Gypsy a capable slow speed beast.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:01   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Satan - thanks for clarifying...I still feel my Gypsy is a bit slow off the blocks. Perhaps we can meet sometime and you can drive it.

I have a full FFE and K&N Intake ready to install but I prefer to stay with the stock exhaust and install a snorkel. Can head-work on the engine make my vehicle a bit more peppy?

I suggest you go for free flow headers only, remove the stock Cat-con and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. This set up should complement your snorkel intake without the drone of the FFE at high RPM. Porting/massaging an engine this young isnt recommended but thats your call. Also your vehicle has bigger wheels so that is also sure to have a rub on impact on pep.
Old 18th April 2011, 16:16   #337
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu and Neville - thanks for the inputs. I've driven with a FFE and K&N Intake and the performance, while slightly better, wasn't enough to put a smile on my face.

I'll take the performance specific queries offline and also search up the forums for head-work related threads before I ping either of you.

Thanks!
Old 19th April 2011, 08:18   #338
Senior - BHPian

Guru - remove the hardtop, you will feel the vehicle to be much more lighter and also bouncier but you can anyday use CFLs to get rid of the famed bouncy gypsy ride

After removing the HT, i would suggest if at all you are going for a Soft Top, then go for a flat roof style as the original soft top creates a lot of wind resistance on highways and flaps violently as well (atleast in my vehicle)

anf FYI - mine is run only 17k kms and completely stock.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:13   #339
Senior - BHPian

Tyres

Hi Guru,

Are all the Gypsy's in question running tyres of the same diameter?
e.g 235-75-15 is 29-30"

Regards,

Arka
Old 19th April 2011, 10:52   #340
Senior - BHPian

Hello Arka Saar,

Mine is running on 215/75 R15 Yoko and so is Imran i guess on his BFGs.
Old 19th April 2011, 11:48   #341
Senior - BHPian

Arka - I know what you are hinting at which is the gearing up of the vehicle due to the larger tires. Even before I installed MT tires my car was very sluggish compared to Raj's while running the same tires (215-75-15).

I understand that Imran's is modded so let us leave that out of the equation but Raj's Gypsy also flies and this is with a full stock Gypsy with hard top just like mine. I am concerned that there may be something wrong with my Gypsy.

On a recent OTR I had massive fluttering issues. Kunal Bhaskaran was driving and barely managed to clear the obstacle. I've since reverted to full stock intake and exhaust...I will test it tomorrow and post if that problem still exists.

But this performance delta bothers me...
Old 19th April 2011, 12:05   #342
BHPian

Shed weight and you'll see the difference!!

~ 50kgs with a soft top conversion (you might have to go with a half top).
~ 20kgs with all that extra equipment you're hauling around (including the morgue, cycles etc).
~ 20kgs on yourself

You can haul your gear only when required during OTRs
Paint it in some other colour (other than white) so you are not mistaken for local Mcrae with stickers and Speed will follow you!!

Keep everything else stock and enjoy the benefits of some Maruti reliability!!

cheers!
Prasad

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th April 2011 at 13:56. Reason: Please stick to 2 smiley per post rule
Old 19th April 2011, 13:03   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Arka - I know what you are hinting at which is the gearing up of the vehicle due to the larger tires. Even before I installed MT tires my car was very sluggish compared to Raj's while running the same tires (215-75-15).
Hi Guru,

Why since your engine is MPFI, why don't you run a diagnostics test.

Regards,

Arka
Old 19th April 2011, 13:16   #344
Senior - BHPian

Yes agree with Arka ^^. BTW are your brakes working fine?

Spike
Old 19th April 2011, 15:04   #345
Senior - BHPian

Arka - ran diagnostics. No alarms.
Spike - brakes are working fine.

I'll test out this weekend and see what the problem is.

-G

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks