Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 19:42   #61
BHPian

Re: Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story

GTO, Trammway, Harjeev and UBS (ji)

I am spending 4-6 hours everyday on this portal these days. Guys, there is more to life than Jeeps. This is what my boss and my family says, but little do they know about the beauty of these vehicles. And shiva, there is a specific reason for this Willys LHD being gifted to you. Everyone knows about your passion for vehicles and particularly UBS Ji. Before even finding you on this portal, I had read your complete restoration of the classic on Mahindra Blog spot. The faith that you build up with UBS Ji certainly has left a deep place for you in his heart. This restoration is going to be yet another story that I will be glued to.

I got moved to this thread after I checked your last post on your original Mahindra Classic thread. Now since you are in US, I would recommend a specific vehicle for you

CJ3B The Dog - From Jonathan Ward. this vehicle is completely hand made in California. They even make FJ series vehicle. But my honest recommendation is to try and get your hands on this one. I would love to hear from you about the vehicle. They are officially branded as ICON.
Cj3bDog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 08:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
GTO, Trammway, Harjeev and UBS (ji)

I am spending 4-6 hours everyday on this portal these days. Guys, there is more to life than Jeeps. This is what my boss and my family says, but little do they know about the beauty of these vehicles. And shiva, there is a specific reason for this Willys LHD being gifted to you. Everyone knows about your passion for vehicles and particularly UBS Ji. Before even finding you on this portal, I had read your complete restoration of the classic on Mahindra Blog spot. The faith that you build up with UBS Ji certainly has left a deep place for you in his heart. This restoration is going to be yet another story that I will be glued to.

I got moved to this thread after I checked your last post on your original Mahindra Classic thread. Now since you are in US, I would recommend a specific vehicle for you

CJ3B The Dog - From Jonathan Ward. this vehicle is completely hand made in California. They even make FJ series vehicle. But my honest recommendation is to try and get your hands on this one. I would love to hear from you about the vehicle. They are officially branded as ICON.
Hi There, Thanks for the kind words, I'm really privileged to get such a wonderful gift.

Here in US I may even buy a old CJ2A or MB which are plenty available. Infact I found there are good unimogs available for sale too. As of now no 4x4 is going to be my first vehicle in US because I need a vehicle for the family. My 2nd vehicle is always going to be my leisure and fun vehicle. That will be Jeep Wrangler (top place) or Unimog (2nd place) or Hummer H3 or CJ5 or CJ2A
Old 10th May 2011, 15:51   #63
BHPian

Hello Sir,

Congratulations and all the best for your restoration of Willys CJ3B LHD gift. Will follow this thread want to see the final shape of the gift.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 22nd May 2011, 23:42   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys,

The Jeep restoration is landed in a set back as I've moved to New Jersey. Ah I don't want my restoration to stop wherever I stay so decided to collect unique parts for the CJ3B, now I leave it you to guess apart from the items listed below(purchase done, need to find a way to send/bring it to India) what are all in my wishlist.
  • Koenig 51 model PTO gearbox
  • Koenig King 100 model Winch
  • PTO gear box to winch drive shaft
The three items together form a complete working PTO winch setup in the CJ3B. If you know Koenig has got single stick, double stick with single or double side operated PTO gearboxes. The one I have is a front only output with single stick model. This one is 1960s produced one and removed from a CJ5.

There you go, finally the pto winch reached my apartment yesterday after traveling couple of hundreds of miles on the US roads. Yesterday my buddy carried the winch I bought in his car and dropped it in my apartment. Here are the pictures:

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-img00387201105211129.jpg

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-img00388201105211129.jpg

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-img00389201105211133.jpg

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-img00391201105211142.jpg

Now I need to find a way to dismantle and ship (Fully by sea or partially in multiple baggage) to Chennai. I'm excited and this setup is complete and in really good condition. Once installed this setup will look similar the picture below

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-koenigmodel51pto.gif

Last edited by trammway : 22nd May 2011 at 23:49. Reason: Addnl info
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:02   #65
BHPian

Quote:
There you go, finally the pto winch reached my apartment yesterday after traveling couple of hundreds of miles on the US roads. Yesterday my buddy carried the winch I bought in his car and dropped it in my apartment. Here are the pictures:
Congrats Siva for the PTO Winch! Now you please get me also one. Else you can send me this one and you get another one.
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:38   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Congrats Siva for the PTO Winch! Now you please get me also one. Else you can send me this one and you get another one.
Let me figure out the best way to transport this heavy stuff, once I'm through with that I will organise the 2nd one.
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:06   #67
BHPian

Quote:
There you go, finally the pto winch reached my apartment yesterday after traveling couple of hundreds of miles on the US roads. Yesterday my buddy carried the winch I bought in his car and dropped it in my apartment.
Extra bit of reading for me now to understand PTO. Shiva, you always make things so interesting all the time.
Old 24th May 2011, 06:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cj3bDog View Post
Extra bit of reading for me now to understand PTO. Shiva, you always make things so interesting all the time.
I'm glad this information is bit of interesting to you. Thanks for the good words.
Old 24th May 2011, 21:56   #69
BHPian

Congrats Siva for the PTO n winch...now i can say that u are lucky born chap..good luck mate.
Old 4th August 2011, 10:00   #70
BHPian

Good one Shiva . Going great. Thats indeed a great find . happy restoration and is still hooked to this thread.
Old 7th January 2012, 06:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have a good news to share with you friends, the news is that the PTO gearbox and Winch has been landed in my house about 5 minutes back. Before sending the 32kg striped version of the equipment, I have removed winch cable and mounting brackets from the winch to reduce the shipping weight. I was having my fingers crossed about the customs in Chennai but I heard it was like breeze and no problem.

My next shipment will contain the winch drive shaft and finally the mounting brackets. I don't think will have the winch cable shipped rather I would pickup one from Chennai.

The Jeep restoration is almost hibernating state but I'm sure it will go on full progress during June. Before that some more very original willys accessories will be captured in here in US and send to India.

Last edited by trammway : 7th January 2012 at 06:06.
Old 30th January 2012, 07:04   #72
Senior - BHPian

Special addon to the India bound USA Willys CJ3B ;-), though it is not of the same age but the same model and what not, this is brand new old stock. Yes, I got a Brand new "G" jerry can made in USA with screw type mouth from 1981 for the the precious Jeep.

This will travel in one of my baggage in the near future, hey anyone from US to Chennai wanna give ride to my gas can

The can looked awesome and no rust spots inside the can, there is a minimal paint loss in the outer surface due to storage and movements but it is really not affected the metal at all.

This is the original GAS CAN color as per US regulations.

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-dsc00851.jpg

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-dsc00852.jpg

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-dsc00853.jpg

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-dsc00856.jpg

Willys CJ3B LHD Petrol - Gift for Life! – A true story-dsc00857.jpg
trammway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 10:51   #73
BHPian

What happened to the restoration?????
Old 30th December 2013, 12:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 View Post
What happened to the restoration?????
Restoration is halted after I moved to USA, I believe the time is close enough for my come back hence this will get the life very soon
trammway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 15:27   #75
BHPian

Hi there, Were you able to fix the PTO on your CJ3B. Please update

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks