Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 11:10   #496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Just to update those interested - costing and design for the sectional HT is complete.

The HT will come in 6 sections -
1) frame
2) removable front cabin section
3) removable rear cabin section
4) removable rear window section - this will be just a frame to hold glass/clear plastic
5 & 6) removable side sections - also will be just a frame to hold glass/clear plastic.

Bad news is that making the molds and parts will not be make cost sense unless we make at least 80 of them.

Also, have asked a couple of times in my posts - but no response from any M&M folks (Spike/Vinod/DB) - will installing a custom HT void any warranties from Mahindra?

Thanks,
Manas
Quote:
@Xinger - will post the drawings in the new year...for now look at an earlier post of mine in the thread and you will see what look and design we have modeled ours on.

well-fitting and sturdy design is what we think we have done and as far as leak proof - once we get the first prototype made, we plan to test. Right now though, unless we hear from someone at M&M about warranty, we are at a standstill as it costs too much for just a one off.
I for one will be interested if its modeled on the Rubicon HT that we had seen and is reasonably priced. But before that my THAR with AC has to come from M&M.

I'm quite sure you will get your 80 customers if the design is really what you are telling us

Cheers
Old 30th December 2010, 11:14   #497
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@xinger:

I am at a complete loss as to why you keep posting Jermey clarkson reviews and prices of jeep wranglers in the US on this thread? Indian car prices have no reality to global prices due to the duty/tax structure here. Besides you cannot even remotely compare vehicles in terms of modernity/reliability here and abroad.

What do you think Jeremy clarkson would write, if he were to drive the Bolero SLX DI Turbo which is the highest selling MUV in India? He would drive for about 5 minutes and crack jokes for the rest of the review? What do you think his opinion will be of the Safari or the Scorpio???

Again, no one is asking for Wrangler/Rubicon.... A slightly more powerful MDI will do the trick. Rest we can build up on the vehicle. My point is that the Yuppie/Lifestyle crowd has got their wish in the Thar, the off-roader has got shortchanged by Mahindra.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 30th December 2010 at 11:16.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:31   #498
BHPian

THAR TD'ed.

I had a chance to TD Thar at ITL Motors Thrissur.

1 CRDe vehicle is available for TD. Bookings started; deliveries will begin by Jan Mid (according to SE)

The vehicle is definitely an improvement on earlier 4X4s from Mahindra but except the engine & front suspension layout, nothing impressed me.

The vehicle looks like an ordinary MM540 and at the price range of approx 7L on road little more cosmetic enhancement would have been welcome.

Paint quality is OK but some panels (RHD door) are uneven as if repaired at a roadside garage.

Track seems to be good, but turning radius felt more than the claimed 5.2m (by the SE)

Interiors are a nightmare but the seat support is sufficient.

The Thar can cruise comfortably at 70-80 kmph but the flapping ST noise, wind noise & engine noise is too much. The handling & ride has improved over previous MM540s but tends to bouncy (I could not check the air pressure in tyres)

In my opinion it is a wise buy if the application is strictly off road but as a second vehicle or poser vehicle at least 1.5-2L would be spent on better tyres & alloys, snug fitting ST, AC etc.

I am not a off roader & frankly did not plan to buy a Thar but the TD chanced upon me through a friend. I am sure that Off Road enthusiasts will find Thar suitable for their use.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-20101229_11.59.10.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-20101229_11.59.50.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-20101229_12.02.04.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-20101229_12.02.40.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-20101229_12.02.57.jpg  

Old 30th December 2010, 11:36   #499
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Found this link (Picasa Web Albums - rinaldo valvo - Mahindra Thar) online of an album of ~ 160 pics of the international Thar.

Seems to have a lot of the stuff guys here are debating about like the hardtop, AC, better interiors, winch etc.

Attached some pics, but check out the link for all the pics.
Is it me or the euro Thar has better dash

Also they seemed to have fixed the AC.

@DB Sir/Spike is it done by M&M or outside? Overall perfect build as a grand adventure tourer!
Old 30th December 2010, 11:37   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@xinger:

I am at a complete loss as to why you keep posting Jermey clarkson reviews and prices of jeep wranglers in the US on this thread?
It is simply a reaction to people who keep harping about how they wish the Thar had this or that. The reviews are to show that even the Wrangler is not as 'comfortable' and 'refined' as some people were making it out to be vis a vis the Thar. The price comparision is just a reality check, even with the much bigger offroad vehicle market in the US, the resulting economies of scale, and the much better and cheaper technology available to Chrysler as opposed to Mahindra, the base Wrangler cannot be made at a lower cost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
the off-roader has got shortchanged by Mahindra.
As DKG has posted before, if M&M were catering solely to offroaders, the Thar would have to cost double of what it does now with the same specs!! I mean, for a market (the offroaders) that will be probably less than 1000 vehicles ANNUALLY, how can you expect to dictate terms to a company that is in the business to make a profit?! And sorry, just because DB created a thread, does not mean Team-BHP was the only market research they did before launching the Thar!

Anyway, I hold no brief for either M&M OR Wrangler, and I don't want to get into any argument, so I'll stop posting on this topic now.

Last edited by Xinger : 30th December 2010 at 11:56.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:57   #501
BHPian

In the topic of hardtops. I love this one the most, its simple, straight lines, sharp & angular. Wish we have somebody who makes them here.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-2009jeepwrangler2drsaharapic137141.jpeg  

Old 30th December 2010, 12:42   #502
BHPian

Quote:
@Xinger - will post the drawings in the new year...for now look at an earlier post of mine in the thread and you will see what look and design we have modeled ours on.

well-fitting and sturdy design is what we think we have done and as far as leak proof - once we get the first prototype made, we plan to test. Right now though, unless we hear from someone at M&M about warranty, we are at a standstill as it costs too much for just a one off.
Hey Manas,

This was my suggestion thanks for getting this dream closer to reality.
The picture you have picked for your drawings is a cut & paste job on ms paint from my system :-) chk my post on 27th May 2010

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1908266

Hope you are giving me 1 free when it is mass produced ;-)

Regards,
Kumar
Old 30th December 2010, 13:50   #503
BHPian

Hey Kumar...at this stage, you should say if it is mass produced. Lets see. The idea is to cut costs by making the 2 side panels and the back panel the same. Even with that, looks like it might be 1 lakh per set...:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchkumar View Post
Hey Manas,

This was my suggestion thanks for getting this dream closer to reality.
The picture you have picked for your drawings is a cut & paste job on ms paint from my system :-) chk my post on 27th May 2010

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1908266

Hope you are giving me 1 free when it is mass produced ;-)

Regards,
Kumar
Old 30th December 2010, 14:47   #504
Senior - BHPian

1 Lakh might be a tough price, Manas. I suggest you cut down the number of pieces to just two, one front and one back and sides. This is how the Gypsy HT was designed. All the best for your venture.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:00   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
1 Lakh might be a tough price, Manas. I suggest you cut down the number of pieces to just two, one front and one back and sides. This is how the Gypsy HT was designed. All the best for your venture.
This looks like a good idea. As people can only remove back panel with sides & then the front upper panel if required.
Will it be easy to set up?

Something like this, but make it more rectangular than curvy.
Also it will look better if rear part is made with some slope rather than a straight drop

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dscf2971.jpg

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 30th December 2010 at 15:02.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:24   #506
Senior - BHPian

Even I found the dash to be highly dissapointing. Not yet been to the showroom, but saw the interiors in this edition of Top Gear Mag. The jeep featured on the mag, in ride with the crash guards et al, looked good from outside.

But the ride above, clealry screams it is not worth around 7 lakhs.
Old 30th December 2010, 20:46   #507
BHPian

@offroad maniac -

This is easier to do and will be cheaper, but the idea I was looking at was that when you remove panels, they can be stored within the jeep - maybe under the seats or behind the side facing rear seats. A setup like the one in your pic means that you cant remove the rear panel while you are halfway outdoors - you have to leave it at home.

If you look at the Rubicon top in the earlier posts, that is what I am aiming for. Still a way to go, but I plan to buy the Thar soon (waiting for the test drive so the SWAMBO can approve - she is an army brat so already likes jeeps!). And even if I just make a single prototype, that is what I want for my Thar - something that I can remove and store while on the go.

Hopefully it will work - still need to locate people to make the parts once the mold is complete - but a fellow TBHP member has volunteered...so maybe some can be worked out.

By the way - still waiting to confirm the dimensions - really need someone to send me the body dimensions of the Thar (the ones relating to the HT) - the ones I am working with right now are guesstimates from an old M540.

Manas

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
This looks like a good idea. As people can only remove back panel with sides & then the front upper panel if required.
Will it be easy to set up?

Something like this, but make it more rectangular than curvy.
Also it will look better if rear part is made with some slope rather than a straight drop

Attachment 474642

Last edited by manasm : 30th December 2010 at 20:53. Reason: additional information
Old 31st December 2010, 11:38   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
In the topic of hardtops. I love this one the most, its simple, straight lines, sharp & angular. Wish we have somebody who makes them here.

Cheers!

This would be what I would my Thar to look like. Clean / simple yet very classy. I am willing to get this custom built if I have to, provided I find a honest & hardworking fabricator.

Any pointers ? Why would M&M not want to make this as an option ? If they do I would write them a cheque this minute.

Cheers
Old 31st December 2010, 11:56   #509
Senior - BHPian

Manasm,

The 540 body and the Thar body dimensions has no difference. Its the same.

Why not go to showroom close to you and take dimensions and measurements on your own so that you are sure?
Old 31st December 2010, 13:41   #510
Senior - BHPian

let see what Thar CRDe has to offer to the following:

hardcore 4x4 offroad dude

1. he get a new chassis and stronger body shell
2. new powerful engine
3. higher torque and bhp
4. on road stability to drive at higher speeds to reach OTR site faster(!)
5. softop
6. power steering
7. IFS (??)

Lifestyle bling bling dude

1. finally a Macho JEEP (Wrangler) he can drive and flaunt it and no need to be shy about it!
2. PS, AC (ready) & HT(option) to keep the city pollution out.
3. this dude doesnt care about other things in the Thar!

both the dudes can modify the Thar CRDe as per his taste, needs, requirments and the bank balance!

"sobko mukamal jahan nahi milta. kissi ko jameen, kissi ko aasman nahi milta"!

i know that both CDRe and MDI are manufactured in different plans, but do they have same bodyshell sheetmetal and welding quality?

PS - serious hardcore 4x4 offroad mud slugging dudes can go for MDI as plan B.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks