Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2015, 12:57   #2626
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
I need help from Puneri cyclists, where can I find that adaptor which I need to put on existing tyre valves for air filling.
I assume you're talking about the Presta-to-Schrader valve adapter. You can get it in any of the many bicycle shops located around Phadke Houd Chowk in Pune. It should cost a mere 10/20 bucks. I got one for myself and it works just fine.
Old 15th June 2015, 13:01   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
I assume you're talking about the Presta-to-Schrader valve adapter. You can get it in any of the many bicycle shops located around Phadke Houd Chowk in Pune. It should cost a mere 10/20 bucks. I got one for myself and it works just fine.
Is there one where I can get air filled into my tyres from the digital machines at tyre shops and at petrol pumps?

P.S. I have the normal Indian cycle type valves. Not those ultra long ones of imported bikes.
Old 15th June 2015, 13:54   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Is there one where I can get air filled into my tyres from the digital machines at tyre shops and at petrol pumps?

P.S. I have the normal Indian cycle type valves. Not those ultra long ones of imported bikes.
By normal Indian cycle type valves, do you mean the ones where you rotate a ring to let the air off? If so, I'm not sure if a Schrader adapter is available for that. Will have to check.

My bicycle (Montra) tubes have Presta valves (may be the ones you're referring to as ultra long ones). The adapter makes it fit for the motorcycle-tube-style pumps (which cater to Schrader valves).

I've got an al-cheapo cycle pump with two holes; one for Schrader and the other for classic valve (where you rotate a ring to let the air off). I use this adapter on the Montra along with the Schrader hole.
Old 15th June 2015, 14:05   #2629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By normal Indian cycle type valves, do you mean the ones where you rotate a ring to let the air off? If so, I'm not sure if a Schrader adapter is available for that. Will have to check.

My bicycle (Montra) tubes have Presta valves (may be the ones you're referring to as ultra long ones). The adapter makes it fit for the motorcycle-tube-style pumps (which cater to Schrader valves).

I've got an al-cheapo cycle pump with two holes; one for Schrader and the other for classic valve (where you rotate a ring to let the air off). I use this adapter on the Montra along with the Schrader hole.
This type .....

The Bicycles thread-201505310005.jpeg
Old 15th June 2015, 14:23   #2630
BHPian

From the photo, it looks like the rotate-a-ring-to-let-the-air-off type valve. Recent Google search revealed that it is called Dunlop valve or Woods valve. I haven't checked personally but am sure you'll get a Dunlop-to-Schrader adapter in Phadke Houd Chowk shops.
Old 15th June 2015, 15:37   #2631
Senior - BHPian

Yup, that's the name.

So Schrader is the car/bike air pump filling type valve right?

Asking for two reasons. Right now I have the old type pump at home which I use on all our cycles. And check pressure with hand. Because the tyre sidewall just has "inflate hard" written.

But there are tyres which have the exact pressure written (in psi and bar) so if I shift to them would like to know exactly how much I'm filling and not to over-inflate. The latter is always a fear when filling by "feel" that you will burst your tube or valve.
Old 15th June 2015, 16:19   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, that's the name.

So Schrader is the car/bike air pump filling type valve right?

Asking for two reasons. Right now I have the old type pump at home which I use on all our cycles. And check pressure with hand. Because the tyre sidewall just has "inflate hard" written.

But there are tyres which have the exact pressure written (in psi and bar) so if I shift to them would like to know exactly how much I'm filling and not to over-inflate. The latter is always a fear when filling by "feel" that you will burst your tube or valve.
Doc, go for foot pumps with integrated pressure gauge. They cost around Rs.500/- and they come along with an adapter to suit your bicycles valves. You can use them on your car and motorcycle as well.

edit : The only drawback when using in old type bicycles valves is that the gauge will show correct reading momentarily when the rubber valve tube opens. And one more thing - the neck of the valve in your bicycle is misaligned. You will have to tighten the lower ring.
regards Arun

Last edited by adrian : 15th June 2015 at 16:26.
Old 15th June 2015, 16:38   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
And one more thing - the neck of the valve in your bicycle is misaligned. You will have to tighten the lower ring.
regards Arun
Yup, thanks Arun. Been riding it like that for some time now. The lower ring is fully tightened against the rim.

I'll have to get the tyre deflated and the tube repositioned by removing the tyre bead from one side because I tried doing it by removing all the air and pushing the valve into the tyre after loosening the check ring but its not happening.

P.S. Discovered a totally new kind on slow puncture last week. My front tyre was losing air very slowly (I could feel, even hear, it becoming softer on the ride) and would become completely soft over about 2 days.

Finally the puncture was traced to the metal valve housing that is fixed (bolted) to the tube. The actual metal tube was leaking tiny air froth/bubbles from a micrometer split in the casing body (not the joint). First time I've come across this type of puncture.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th June 2015 at 16:41.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:09   #2634
BHPian

+1 to Adrian for foot pumps with pressure gauge for filling up to an exact pressure value. That got me thinking. I may get one for myself if it has all the required adapters!
Old 16th June 2015, 16:12   #2635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 to Adrian for foot pumps with pressure gauge for filling up to an exact pressure value. That got me thinking. I may get one for myself if it has all the required adapters!
I read somewhere that inherent to their design, foot pumps cannot effectively fill to or beyond pressures above 50-60 PSI. Not a roblem for cars or bikes, but some cycle tyres (especially the thinner they get) need quite a bit more.
Old 16th June 2015, 18:05   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere that inherent to their design, foot pumps cannot effectively fill to or beyond pressures above 50-60 PSI. Not a roblem for cars or bikes, but some cycle tyres (especially the thinner they get) need quite a bit more.
+1. Stay away from foot pumps. Been there done that. Foot pumps are useless if you want to go beyond 50. Better use floor pumps of bicycles. Or if you don't want that effort, then buy a mini compressor that can run using car cigarette lighter port.
Old 16th June 2015, 18:12   #2637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
+1. Stay away from foot pumps. Been there done that. Foot pumps are useless if you want to go beyond 50. Better use floor pumps of bicycles. Or if you don't want that effort, then buy a mini compressor that can run using car cigarette lighter port.
You have PM bro. Help urgently needed please.
Old 16th June 2015, 21:11   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Nope; to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks again. I check with Surender cycles, he quoted 1200 per tyre!! Was a bit shocked since I did not expect it to be so costly. Is this the correct price?

He also suggested an alternative in Schwalbe (he could not remember the details) @1100 INR per tyre.

Any suggestions or alternatives?
Old 17th June 2015, 09:37   #2639
BHPian

Thanks a lot doc and shipnil. You saved me from the disappointment!
Old 17th June 2015, 16:37   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
Thanks again. I check with Surender cycles, he quoted 1200 per tyre!! Was a bit shocked since I did not expect it to be so costly. Is this the correct price?

He also suggested an alternative in Schwalbe (he could not remember the details) @1100 INR per tyre.

Any suggestions or alternatives?
Well; those are imported tires.

I remember paying a similar amount.

Money well spent; I must say!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks