Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2021, 16:21   #5506
BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The further away from.tge 20k mark you go for a local brand, and Veloce is a local brand, make no mistake, the less exciting the value proposition becomes.

30k mark you were already flirting with the outer limit, which could probably only be explained away currently due to supply and availability issues.

But 50k, no way!

General rule is you can ride and get away with a local build on a MTB or a hybrid, especially when within a certain price band. But not so with a roadie.

I vote a definite no on this. And urge you explore availability in other brands as well.

Try Convolution cycles. A Pune based brand. Polygon. Marin. Giant. Even offerings from Montra and Firefox. Or The 25k level ST series MTB from Decathlon, since you don't mind front suspension. The ST520.

For a roadie the RC120 offers a lot.

Cheers, Doc
Thanks Doc for your wisdom. So Java is now out of the list of consideration. On a side note, I got a good deal on a new Road Runner pro V (21-Inch, Shimano Tourney). So my question is, how does Triban-100(Flat Bar) matches up with Road Runner Pro-V?
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 16:29   #5507
Senior - BHPian

Where in Pune, can I try out different saddles? I have recently started riding 50-60 kms on weekends and I find the stock saddle a bit uncomfortable towards the fag end of the ride. However, before I invest a good amount of money in getting a comfortable saddle, are there any dealers or showrooms in Pune where I can try one of those before getting it for myself?

To note here: My bicycle is the Frog Snow Leopard 29T. I have been riding on the stock saddle since day 1; I got rid of the Gel seat cover on the same day that I got the cycle.

I am very satisfied with the overall sitting posture on the cycle and haven't experienced any back pain or knee pain so far. So I am assuming now, that the slight butt(sit bones) pain that I experience towards the end of the long ride has got something to do with the saddle. I also use B-Twin padded cycling shorts from Decathlon on these rides.
Old 29th March 2021, 19:58   #5508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Where in Pune, can I try out different saddles? I have recently started riding 50-60 kms on weekends and I find the stock saddle a bit uncomfortable towards the fag end of the ride.
Do you ride only on weekends ? If so then the solution may just be to ride more often during the week also and get used to longer time on the seat. Keep standing up at intervals.

You mentioned the padded shorts from btwinn - the cheapest version is not very well padded and is useful only for rides shorter than an hour. The costlier versions are slightly better - try those if not done already ? Also make sure you are packing the shorts in properly to minimize chafing. Use an anti-chafing cream/coconut oil post ride :-).
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 22:54   #5509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bikecalc has been a go-to resource for me as well as I play around with possible upgrade/replacement options. Or simply cheat options when I'm not feeling particularly strong or fast. Lol

You would know that regardless of if you have a 1x (gravel/x-country) or a 2x (road) or a 3x (hybrid/mtb) drive-train, you will always land up having only 10-11 really unique ratios after all.

If you want to remove the overlap, then keep the biggest and smallest rings alone, and knoc of the center one. If its possible in terms of smooth shifting (and its possible to transplant the biggest ring in place of the middle ring (since you've been handy with a cutter/grinder and a welder - I'm guessing this is the low end riveted crank and not bolt on chainwheels).

I'm constrained at the rear as I have a 7 speed freewheel hub where the smallest cog possible is a 14 only (Shimano used to make freewheels with 13 as well once upon a time, but they stopped .... ostensibly to move business over towards the pricier cassettes and free hubs.

Cheers, Doc
Quote:
Bikecalc has been a go-to resource for me as well as I play around with possible upgrade/replacement options. Or simply cheat options when I'm not feeling particularly strong or fast. Lol

If its possible in terms of smooth shifting (and its possible to transplant the biggest ring in place of the middle ring (since you've been handy with a cutter/grinder and a welder - I'm guessing this is the low end riveted crank and not bolt on chainwheels).
Actually Doc, this is one of those rare occasions where I'm not doing jugaad - these are bolt-on chainwheels... Just need to check my BCD and find out what's available (preferably locally).

It seems that a 10-tooth differential in front wheels is considered ideal for smoothness of shifting, but that 14-16 may sometimes work. Since I've got about enough top-end but could use a bit more low-end grunt, I figure a 24T small wheel while retaining the 38T will give me about all I'd need. Still overlap on 4 or five gears (so as you say, no more than 10-12 unique ratios), but less than currently - and if I generally use the small wheel for any climbing and the big wheel for flats / downhill, it probably is a pretty logical / practical setup operationally.

The Bicycles thread-inch-chart.jpg

Chart above indicates where I'd be at.

Lower left in the 17-ish range of inches per crank revolution would be considered pretty low. Upper right at 66-ish in top gear not very high speed (roadies at over 100), but probably sufficient for my purposes. And saves the expense of all the new 1x hardware (if it would fit at all).

Thanks,
-Eric
Old 30th March 2021, 15:27   #5510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Thanks Doc for your wisdom. So Java is now out of the list of consideration. On a side note, I got a good deal on a new Road Runner pro V (21-Inch, Shimano Tourney). So my question is, how does Triban-100(Flat Bar) matches up with Road Runner Pro-V?
Absolutely no idea about the Firefox buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Actually Doc, this is one of those rare occasions where I'm not doing jugaad - these are bolt-on chainwheels... Just need to check my BCD and find out what's available (preferably locally).

It seems that a 10-tooth differential in front wheels is considered ideal for smoothness of shifting, but that 14-16 may sometimes work.

Thanks,
-Eric
Yup, front derailleurs of road bikes with compact (50/34) and semi compact (52/36) cranks happily manage a 16t jump.

Take a look at this interesting video that is pretty close to what we have been discussing here ...

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 20:45   #5511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Do you ride only on weekends?
Not really. I normally bicycle for approx 20kms on weekdays due to work commitments and go for 50-60kms rides on the weekends.

Quote:
You mentioned the padded shorts from btwinn - the cheapest version is not very well padded and is useful only for rides shorter than an hour.
I didn't know this. I will try one or two higher versions. Right now I got 2-3 of the basic ones in the sale.

Quote:
Also make sure you are packing the shorts in properly to minimize chafing. Use an anti-chafing cream/coconut oil post ride :-).
Thanks for this suggestion. But one thing I have noticed is that the problem is not chafing as such. The only discomfort is pain in the sit bones towards the end of the ride.

I will try to extend the duration of the rides and see if it makes a difference. I will come back here in a few weeks again with my observations. Thanks!
Old 30th March 2021, 21:38   #5512
BHPian

How does bikes from Marin generally are? I have a quote for Fairfax-2, Presidio and Dual Sport DX2 well within my price bracket. Due to Covid 19, I don’t have the luxury to test ride them myself so, I wanted to check with experts before putting down the money. Thanks!
Old 30th March 2021, 21:51   #5513
BHPian

Finally got into cycling for the fitness and stamina building part of it. Got myself a Keysto KS777 27.5 inch about 10 days back.
Frankly, I had no idea I was so out of shape that I couldn't handle even a small 2-3km round out of the society gates. Building up myself bit by bit, one meter at a time.

Thanks doc @ebonho for the guidance.

Someday in not too distant future, would love to join you on one of your rides!
Torq is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 06:06   #5514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does bikes from Marin generally are? I have a quote for Fairfax-2, Presidio and Dual Sport DX2 well within my price bracket. Due to Covid 19, I don’t have the luxury to test ride them myself so, I wanted to check with experts before putting down the money. Thanks!
Marin bikes, especially their hybrids, are good. I can vouch for the Fairfax since I know a strong rider who has been riding and racing on one for a few years now. Are you picking it up from Poona? From Cykler?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 08:41   #5515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only discomfort is pain in the sit bones towards the end of the ride.
p
I had the same issue when I started endurance cycling.

Solved it with gel padded shorts from Decathlon (snug fit), getting off the saddle regularly especially on climbs and getting on the drops whenever speed is >25 kmph or strong headwinds.
The last method removes load from sit bones and distributes it to public rami.
Old 31st March 2021, 10:11   #5516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for this suggestion. But one thing I have noticed is that the problem is not chafing as such. The only discomfort is pain in the sit bones towards the end of the ride.

I will try to extend the duration of the rides and see if it makes a difference. I will come back here in a few weeks again with my observations. Thanks!
Sometimes it is just a matter of getting the butt trained to sit on the saddle (Saddle time). Initially it will be very painful and then gradually you will get used to it.
If the pain / discomfort still persists, then shoot a video of you riding (preferably in side pose) and check on correctness of posture by comparing with good youtube videos.
Mi10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 10:55   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasinveins View Post
  1. Scott Speedster 10
  2. Merida Schultra 400
  3. Trek Domane Series with 105
  4. Giant Contend 1
  5. Cannondale Synapse 105
  6. Polygon Strattos S5
  7. Ridley Damogles 4.1 or Fenix A
  8. Fuji Sportif 1.3 (Tiagra groupset)

Not a single bike is available in TN with 105 groupsets with stocks expected to arrive by the last week of April. Scott dealer is a couple of minutes away from my home but Scott weighs a bit more than Merida. My preference is inclined towards Scott speedster 10 provides value for money and is easier for me to service.

I'll be upgrading from Cosmic Entourer 29 which is quite a heavy bike.
The most comfortable bike ive ridden in the list is the scultura. You cannot go wrong with it at all. Similarly with the synapse.

But i ended up getting a Fuji Roubaix 1.3 with 105 instead. Im now in love with the bike.

Im no endurance rider. Like to ride 3-4 hrs max and occasional 200 km rides. The roubaix fit the requirements perfectly. its a well put together bike.

Try the bikes and fit it to your needs. i see you are from TN, yes, no stocks at all since last aug/sep. Ive been waiting to pick a hybrid since december.

Last edited by varunanb : 31st March 2021 at 11:00.
varunanb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 11:59   #5518
BHPian

Quote:
Marin bikes, especially their hybrids, are good. I can vouch for the Fairfax since I know a strong rider who has been riding and racing on one for a few years now. Are you picking it up from Poona? From Cykler?

Cheers, Doc
Most of the dealers up north and west either don't have the stock or size is not available (XL). The aforementioned cycles are from a dealer in Bangalore and he is willing to ship at 2k extra cost. Do you know any trusted dealer who stocks Roadie or Hybrid for 6'2" lanky guy and is willing to ship as well?

Thanks doc!
Old 31st March 2021, 12:06   #5519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunanb View Post
The most comfortable bike ive ridden in the list is the scultura. You cannot go wrong with it at all. Similarly with the synapse.

But i ended up getting a Fuji Roubaix 1.3 with 105 instead. Im now in love with the bike.

Im no endurance rider. Like to ride 3-4 hrs max and occasional 200 km rides. The roubaix fit the requirements perfectly. its a well put together bike.

Try the bikes and fit it to your needs. i see you are from TN, yes, no stocks at all since last aug/sep. Ive been waiting to pick a hybrid since december.
I am very impressed by the Fuji Roubaix. Great build quality, and quality frame and finishing kit.

Here is the almost 10 year old beauty of a close riding buddy ... Who has done multiple BRMs including an SR on it.

The Bicycles thread-img_20200920_090223.jpg

The Bicycles thread-screenshot_20210112150828.png

Quote:
Most of the dealers up north and west either don't have the stock or size is not available (XL). The aforementioned cycles are from a dealer in Bangalore and he is willing to ship at 2k extra cost. Do you know any trusted dealer who stocks Roadie or Hybrid for 6'2" lanky guy and is willing to ship as well?

Thanks doc!
If you are in Poona (your location shows MH 12) then head to Cykler. Just off Karve Road. You can find him on Google Maps.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st March 2021 at 12:10.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 20:27   #5520
BHPian

Hi I have always loved the old style roadster cycles. The seating is good, its a hardy frame and while its a bit heavier, it is really good for longer rides. Anyone aware of a multigear mechanism on old style roadster cycle that wont break the bank?

Last edited by skrao : 31st March 2021 at 20:35. Reason: spelling errors

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks