Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 15:59   #886
Senior - BHPian

Re: Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!

Another weekend of back to back outdoor rides. Had to cut the Saturday ride short as I started running out of time in between making small adjustments to the saddle height, thanks to Doc for suggesting I lower the saddle a little.

On Sunday, I was supposed to meet up with my bike fitter, John and since the initial forecast of rain all day had changed to rain ending around 9AM, I decided to chart a route to his office in Bedford, NH, which happened to be roughly 18 miles north. I'll also be nicely warmed up by the time I get to his office, and I would have had enough time to try out the minor adjustment as well.

The ride to the office was wet, mainly from the road spray rather than the sky. I didn't stop to take any photos because I was somewhat short on time. There was very little lower back pain during the ride!

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_9872888cfa241.jpeg

Reached John's office well in time and he got me on the trainer and checked my position, knee angle, reach, foot drop etc and finally concluded that the bike fit does not need to change. What does need to change is the lack of flexibility due to tight tight hamstrings. He made me lie flat on my back and asked me to raise one leg. Even with left leg bent, I could barely get my right leg to go beyond 50 degree angle. Ideally it should get close to 90. He recommended a calf and leg stretcher and to use it every day, specially before a ride. Pic below if the contraption.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_f71cac1ad71c1.jpeg

Ride back was actually quite enjoyable till almost the end when I had tailwinds. Noticed that I have not ridden so much on rail trails in a while and it was a refreshing change in the morning when the trail was virtually empty. But on the way back, there were people on the trail walking, running etc and I had to yell "On your left" every now and then. They were all nice about it but I somehow felt guilty about interrupting their walks. So I would usually follow it up with a thank you and a good morning.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_bba960c64e901.jpeg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_b1741085a2871.jpeg

The ride back was enjoyable almost till the end because by then all the dirt and spray from the road had made the chain noisy and squeaky. And the last mile was uphill and into the wind.

Still, any day spent on the bike is a good day!

Cheers,
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 16:09   #887
Senior - BHPian

This is exactly what I suspected and hence my recommendations. You are coming back from a bad accident and rehab. No way is your core strength and flexibility the same as before. Ditto posterior chain flexibility. If you lie on your back, and bend your knee of one leg, with the other leg out flat, with your arms you should be able to pull the bent thigh nearly all the way to your chest. Can you?

Even normally, when coming back from a break, we find that we sit on the bike and pedal differently initially and see a marked change withing the next 2 months/2000 km. Which is what you will see too. Regardless of any changes you do on your bike.

In fact, I prefer to suffer through this initial comeback phase and resist fingering the long time well adjusted settings on my bike. Waiting instead for my body to catch up eventually.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 11th March 2024 at 16:37.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 19:28   #888
Senior - BHPian

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 19:51   #889
Senior - BHPian

That, I can do. But probably not without lifting my lower back to aid in the process.

I have put my plans to replace my crashed bike on hold for now. There is no point in getting a new bike till I have restored the flexibility in my body that I have lost during the injury and recovery.
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 12:36   #890
Senior - BHPian

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20240312_065145.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0015.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0016.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0018.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0013.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0012.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0019.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0009.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0007.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img20240312wa0011.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20240312_072907.jpg

Three of us on a pretty hard ride to Alandi Ghat and back. Good fun!

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:36   #891
BHPian

Exploring the paddy fields of Thrissur
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20240314_070600911.jpg  

Kottayamkaran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 05:28   #892
Senior - BHPian

It was an unbelievable 25 degree c here in Seattle and spring is yet to start. Went out wearing a thin jersey and normal gloves and I was fine.

The cherry blossoms are out in full bloom a month and half before their schedule. Made for a nice ride but I wonder what would happen in April when Spring is in full flow and cherry blossoms have already withered.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20240317_114155.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20240317_110445.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20240316_083731.jpg

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-20240317_113132.jpg
amol4184 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 14:48   #893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
It was an unbelievable 25 degree c here in Seattle and spring is yet to start. Went out wearing a thin jersey and normal gloves and I was fine.
Beautiful pictures.

The weather here on the East Coast has been unusually warm as well. The few times I have been out riding, it has been tough to get the layering right. Between what Wunderground is saying and what the date is, I had been erring on the side of caution until last Saturday when I decided to trust the temps and go out with a base layer, a merino wool jersey and ditch the 2-finger gloves. I still wore shoe covers though. Overall I think I was OK.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_66bf3eac5b7d1.jpeg

I have decided that since I do have the gear to go out riding in near freezing temps, I am going to ride outside every weekend as long as it is not raining/snowing or below freezing and the roads are not too wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Three of us on a pretty hard ride to Alandi Ghat and back. Good fun!
Love rides at dawn!

Last edited by amitoj : 18th March 2024 at 14:49.
amitoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 22:43   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I have decided that since I do have the gear to go out riding in near freezing temps, I am going to ride outside every weekend as long as it is not raining/snowing or below freezing and the roads are not too wet.
Its been unusual for sure. For whatever winter we had, I wore thick gloves that I took to Yellowstone last December and base layer under the normal jersey + a waterproof jacket. Once the body heats up, that thin jacket has been surprisingly effective since it traps the heat inside.

My toes still go numb even after wearing merino wool socks. I have heard wearing rubbery rainproof covers over the shoes is better than wearing thick socks. May be I will try that some day. But that was back in December and I still preferred it over riding Zwift indoors .
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 00:14   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
My toes still go numb even after wearing merino wool socks. I have heard wearing rubbery rainproof covers over the shoes is better than wearing thick socks. May be I will try that some day. But that was back in December and I still preferred it over riding Zwift indoors .
Oh yeah. I have a couple of overshoes and they are perfect for riding in cold weather or when the roads are wet.

I was telling a friend of mine just this morning that I think I am now suffering from Zwift fatigue. I have been riding indoors mostly since my accident, which is since middle of September. And now looking at the weather forecast for the next few days, the frustration is getting real strong! Till yesterday my friend and I were planning to go for a ride after work on Wednesday because it was supposed to be 50 and sunny. But now it is forecast to be cold, windy and raining.

Weather gods must be having a real good laugh.

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-weather.jpg
Old 21st March 2024, 10:27   #896
Senior - BHPian

Man you have a lot of tolerance for Zwift. I did a metric century once and halfway through I was literally looking at the odometer to hit that 100 mark, God it was terrible.
Old 22nd March 2024, 17:09   #897
BHPian

A short ride before start of work. The weather still isn't great(Under 10°), and the wind is still rough.
Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-22032024.jpg
aneezan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 14:40   #898
Senior - BHPian

Post pictures of your Bicycle on day trips here!-img_20240331_060541.jpg

Freshly waxed (chain, nearing 8000 km now) babe waiting impatiently for my buddies to show up for our Sunday morning spin.

Experienced a bad bonk after a really long time today, in the last hour of the ride. Zero power in the legs. Could just pick an easy gear and spin.

Totally ran out of fluid and electrolytes. Just one bottle, even though I refilled it midway. Stomach was rumbling too (perfect storm) though I usually do these rides pretty much fasted (have a mug of cold coffee before leaving home, is all usually).

Getting really hot now. And humidity through the roof too. An extra bottle. Some electrolytes, and a couple of chocolates, and leaving at least 30 minutes earlier, are my plans for next Sunday.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st March 2024 at 15:03.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 16:24   #899
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like a tough ride, Doc! But your plan looks solid. The first time I bonked was when I was on a 30ish mile ride and back then I didn't even know that there is something called bonking! It was later that I stumbled upon this term and put two and two together to realize why my legs had become so heavy.
Old 31st March 2024, 16:40   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Sounds like a tough ride, Doc! But your plan looks solid. The first time I bonked was when I was on a 30ish mile ride and back then I didn't even know that there is something called bonking! It was later that I stumbled upon this term and put two and two together to realize why my legs had become so heavy.
Our normal loop. But you have to feel the heat to believe it. By 9 the sun is blazing. Your mouth regardless of the two large swigs you've just had from your bottle is like rough paper. In the shower after I got home, I was having a splitting headache. And there are super humans who did The Impossible Ride yesterday, 220+ km, 4,000 meters of climbing, over 5 big climbs, in this heat. Frankly you need to acclimatize and train your body for this. By riding late morning, afternoon, regularly. 99.9% of us are early morning riders. So on longer rides when the sun is right above, we get caught out.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 31st March 2024 at 16:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks