Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2021, 19:36   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
What do you guys suggest?
Getting as much coverage as possible is always Yes. Go for it without a doubt. When I bought my EcoSport in '16, Ford offered only 2+2, they later started offering 5th Year EW, and then 6th year for some models.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 22:23   #272
BHPian

I am planning to purchase the extended warranty for my first car, i.e., Sonet HTX iMT, simply for the fact the it is recommended by almost everyone here and for the fact that iMT is still new and no one know about its long term usage/issues yet. But what I need to know is, in order to claim it:
  • Am I limited to specific service centers for all my repair and service requirements?
  • Apart from following the service schedule without fail, what are the other reasons for which the warranty can not be claimed? (Not planning for any modifications)

Any insight on this would be helpful.
Old 6th January 2022, 19:09   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, need an honest suggestion. When I bought my XL6 in 2020, I bought EW without any second thought. Then came a rude shock that if I get it serviced at my trusted MASS, it won't be eligible for warranty claims. NEXA cars need to be serviced at only dealer(Arena/NEXA) workshops, with whose work I'm largely dissatisfied.

Also when one looks at EW Terms and conditions, it's quite weird and Maruti has mentioned almost everything under which they can escape. I've mentioned in BOLD all clauses using which they can legally deny me replacement of expensive parts. This is their EW T&C:

Quote:
Warranty Conditions & Coverage
MARUTI SUZUKI EXTENDED WARRANTY COVERAGE:
If any defect(s) should be found in the Maruti Suzuki vehicle within the extended warranty coverage period in
electrical/ mechanical part, Maruti Suzuki’s only obligation is to repair or replace at its sole discretion any part
shown to be defective, with a new part or the equivalent at no cost to the owner for parts or labor. Such defective
parts, which have been replaced, shall become the property of Maruti Suzuki. The owner is responsible for any
repair or replacements that are not covered by this extended warranty
The Extended warranty is subject to the following terms & conditions:-
1. Extended Warranty registration form & certificate of extended warranty registration
The Extended warranty registration form & the certificate of extended warranty registration forms a part of
contract between Maruti Suzuki India Limited and the owner of the extended warranty of the vehicle as per the
details mentioned on the extended warranty certificate.
2. Limitations:
a) Default in getting the vehicle serviced as per the stipulated kilometers and time period as mentioned in the
Owner’s Manual and Service Booklet.
b) The vehicle must not have been used for competition or racing.
c) The vehicle must not have met with accident.
d) The vehicle must not have been modified or altered, including without limitation, the installation of
performance accessories.
e) The vehicle must not have been fitted with any parts or accessories not approved by Maruti Suzuki.
f) The vehicle must not have been assembled, disassembled, adjusted or repaired by other than authorized
dealer/ service station.
g) The vehicle must not have been used for purpose other than what it was designed.
h) Any defects caused by misuse, negligence, abnormal use, insufficient care, abuse, flooding or fire.
i) Use of improper, adulterated or insufficient or bad fuel, fluids or lubricants.
j) Any damage or deterioration caused by airborne fallout, industrial fallout, acid rain, hail or hail storm, bird
droppings and other Acts of God.
k) Insignificant defects which do not affect the function of the vehicle including without limitation, sound, vibration
and fluid seep
etc.
l) Any natural wear & tear including without limitation, aging etc.,
m) Vehicle retrofitted with LPG & CNG kits cannot be covered under extended warranty.
3. List of Components not covered:
This is limited list of items not covered:-
a) Normal maintenance service required, including without limitation, oil and fluid changes headlight aiming,
fastener retightening, wheel balancing, wheel alignment and tyre rotation, cleaning of injectors, ignition timing,
clutch and valve clearance.
b) The replacement of normal wear parts, including without limitation, bulbs, headlamp assy including projector
headlamp / tail lamp
/ fog lamp assembly, battery, tyres, tubes, spark plugs, brake discs, brake shoes, brake
pads. Internal parts of brake master cylinder & wheel cylinder, belts, hoses, filters (air / fuel/ oil / AC) with or
without sensors, wiper arms/ wiper blades and brushes.
c) Any seals and Gasket replaced or refitted as part of normal-schedules.
d) Clutch disc, clutch pressure plate, clutch release bearing, radiator, catalytic converter, muffler, AC gas leakages
and differential backlash under any circumstances.
e) Replacement of timing belts as per recommended interval.
f) Trims, wheel rim, wheel alloys, rubber & plastic parts, glass machine, all body parts including door regulators,
glass run, seat fabrics, roof lining, gear knob, steering wheel logo, all emblems, cup holder, door weather strips
etc.
g) Smartphone Linkage Display Audio (SLDA) unit
h) Any repair or replacement required as a result of accident or collision, misuse, abuse, theft, flooding or fire.
i) Paintwork, bodywork and mouldings, water entry into the vehicle, corrosion of body parts, glass, Mirrors (inner
& outer), lock cylinder & key & interior trims.
j) Humming noise in any component.Note: Maruti Suzuki reserves the right, at its discretion to change, modify, add or remove portions of these terms at
its sole discretion at any time. Please check these terms periodically for changes.
4. Disclaimer of Consequential Damage :
Maruti Suzuki assumes no responsibility for loss of vehicle, loss of time, inconvenience or any other indirect
incidental or consequential damage resulting from the vehicle not being available to the owner because of any
defect covered by this extended warranty.
5. How to make a claim:
In the event of the occurrence of the breakdown the owner must:
1. Immediately take all steps necessary to minimize the extent of loss.
2. Depending on whether the vehicle is in a condition enabling it to be driven, the owner shall drive it or have it
towed, without delay, to the nearest Maruti Suzuki Dealer at his own cost to effect repair according to the
dealer/ Maruti Suzuki’s requirements and to notify the dealer of this warranty contract number.
3. Authorized the dealer to establish the cause of breakdown.
4. Undertake to pay the cost of dismantling and repairing the vehicle if the cause of the breakdown is not covered
by this warranty. The owner is responsible for paying for any other work that the owner asks the repairer to
carry out.
5. The service record and service bills must be made available to the workshop personnel.
6. Owners warranty responsibility:
a) The vehicle must have been serviced as per guidelines in the service manual from authorized dealer/ Maruti
Suzuki authorized service station.
b) Make certain the extended warranty registration was completed at the time of applying for extended warranty.
c) Make certain that the Maruti Suzuki authorized dealer/ service station performing the service inspection has
certified the work on the “Maintenance Service Record” page in the Maruti Suzuki Owner’s manual and Service
Booklet”
d) Present the Maruti Suzuki Owner’s Manual and Service Booklet” to the authorized Maruti Suzuki dealer
whenever requesting service inspections or warranty service.
e) If the “Owner’s Manual and Service Booklet” should be lost or destroyed, the owner should consult the
authorized Maruti Suzuki dealer from whom the vehicle was purchased for instruction concerning replacement
of the “Owner’s manual and the Service Booklet”.
Failure to comply with these formalities and conditions may lead to a refusal to accept the claim.
7. Cancellation of EW Policy
a) Any Extended Warranty if required to be cancelled, can be done till the vehicle is under primary warranty by
Extended Warranty selling dealer. There will be an administrative fees of Rs 200/- or 10% of Extended
Warranty basic price (whichever is higher) for policy cancellation. Also, tax amount collected during Extended
Warranty will not be refunded.
b) Any converted policy (Gold to Platinum, Royal Platinum or Platinum to Royal Platinum) will not be cancelled
under any circumstances.
Parts which MSIL mentions are high value and stand a chance of replacement under EW:

-Compressor- Rs 10,000 in aftermarket, Rs. 13k in MGP
-ECM- Rs. 7,000
-Steering Assembly: Column: Rs.36k, Steering Box Rs. 8.6k(this is wear-tear part)
-Suspension: Total cost front and back is Rs. 14k
-Starter motor-Rs. 6k

What if I cancel EW today: I'd paid Rs. 17.7k, out of that 15k was base price of EW while Rs. 2700 was Tax. Tax is non refundable while 10% is deduction penalty. Thus I'll get refund of Rs. 13.5k. In addition to this, if I stop going to any MASS or Dealer for service, it all becomes DIY, thus even in the left 3 year period, I stand to save 15-16k rupees(purely on labour). Thus if I go that way, I straightaway save ~30k rupees, which can be used to replace the component which may fail in the 5 year period.

My intention: I have a full fledged house workshop with all tools and supplies including jacks. Thus avoiding dealership will not affect me in any negative way. I'll be free to maintain my car upto my standard. For major repairs, I'll be free to go to my old trusted MASS.

What took me 1.5 years to decide on this-Since I had already purchased the EW, I had 2 years to think about it and also get to know the car inside out. Thus with 2 year mark coming in July, I have to make a decision soon.

Given the terms and condition, Maruti clearly escapes defects in expensive components like HL, TL, Power Window, Head unit etc. What's left is not that expensive that it will hurt me in some major way even if they don't cover under warranty. Secondly, I don't see them all failing together by 60k on the odo. Given the cars running today since 2018(Ertiga/Ciaz), components are largely reliable and don't fail by the odo reading I'm eyeing.

Peace of Mind: Well not absolutely. We already have a thread running on poor workmanship by a Maruti dealer. In past, my cars including 800 has seen problems arising due to inexperienced dealership staff working on my car. I become tensed whenever time comes for me to avail service from their dealer workshop. Mechanics may be good but I'm not in a mood to experiment everytime. Also the hard reality in these MASS manufacturer's workshops is that most mechanics are there only for gaining experience, once they fulfill their aim, they often open their own small workshops! It is not a well paying job, and any decent mechanic can earn way higher if he services just 1 car per day on his own outside. Do the maths! Thus ruining my car slowly with hope that Maruti will cover some part someday, doesn't work for me.

Just to give you an example, during ISG replacement, I saw the mechanic trying to open a bolt, at an angle using his impact gun and rigid extensions! A sure shot way of ruining the bolt I'd say. I requested him to use a universal flexible joint in between, but his ego got in the way. After few failed attempts with the rigid extension, he finally used the universal joint and out came the bolt in first attempt! He was quite miffed after that and another old mechanic carried the job ahead, thankfully! So not everything is fine with workshops.

What's your opinion on this, am I missing something? I mean XL6 MT is neither a complex automatic, nor has a turbo petrol or diesel engine. It is neither a premium German with expensive parts or from a manufacturer known to have frequent niggles. After knowing Maruti's service since years, and given their weird terms and conditions for EW, I'm feeling like the money will go down the drain without me using anything.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th January 2022 at 19:13.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 19:48   #274
BHPian

I will come straight to the point. Cancel EW and live peacefully. Recalls will take care of EW . On a serious note, personally it does not make sense to me. Have 3 marutis so far, rarely we had to claim warranty. Few issues identified gets covered in statutory warranty itself.
MadTiger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 19:49   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

What's your opinion on this, am I missing something?
Well, DBHPian Dr. Naren would be a better person to answer these queries. I got my Brezza's steering column changed under warranty but since that was a recall, can't say much about it. I also got the whole steering unit changed for my Wagon R under extended warranty.

Extended warranty does help but with the clauses thrown up by Maruti regarding Nexa and Arena, it's too confusing.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:21   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need an honest suggestion.
Shashi
Warranty means having to go the dealership for routine service etc. Once you have handed over your car to a non authorized service centre they (dealer) will find excuses God forbid if any warranty claim happens.

As per my observation I have seen that warranty claims take time and the car remains in the service centre for a longer duration than a vehicle for which the owner is paying for everything.

You are technically competent yourself and I am sure you can handle issues yourself without needing dealer expertise. The only thing I will worry about is the electronic gizmos in the guise of the mild hybrid system. If parts pricing for this is tolerable then I do not see why "you" need an authorised service centre warranty.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:42   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that all the terms and conditions mentioned for EW would make it look like very hard to get any claims . Don't worry Maruti will honour warranty most of the times. Escalation works really well at Maruti .

Quote:
Thus if I go that way, I straightaway save ~30k rupees, which can be used to replace the component which may fail in the 5 year period.
I would suggest not to ret rid of EW. We never know what part can fail. My SX4 had lot of claims under EW including turbo, complete gearbox assembly, steering rack etc.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:44   #278
BHPian

Quote:
What's your opinion on this, am I missing something?
I am no expert on this, but after countless discussions with my dad on this topic, I'd like to share his take on Maruti EW:

Maruti is pretty strict with respect to the TnC and if you fail to meet the requirements mentioned in it, they will not replace the component in question under warranty. This is based on his personal experience with our Dzire diesel(bought in 2013), just because of failing to meet 1 service deadline, they refused the warranty

For your situation, you need to evaluate if getting the vehicle serviced at a service center of your choice (who you know will treat your vehicle better and might save you some money) and combined with the amount you get refunded from cancelling the EW is greater than the potential losses in case you need to pay for the component(s) that you could have gotten replaced under warranty.
kvsriki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 20:45   #279
BHPian

With the tools, expertise and contacts you have, you can safely and easily carry out the services yourself without thinking much about losing anything. I'd say take your money and maintain your ride yourself. You can anyways visit MASS for jobs which require lifting the vehicle or some serious expertise required.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 22:22   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I agree that all the terms and conditions mentioned for EW would make it look like very hard to get any claims . Don't worry Maruti will honour warranty most of the times. Escalation works really well at Maruti .
I agree. But issue in my case is, WM and dealer chaps are all very friendly with me. If I escalate, Maruti will eventually make their life hell. And things like Lights fogging up are no longer covered by MSIL, no matter how much you escalate.

Quote:
I would suggest not to ret rid of EW. We never know what part can fail. My SX4 had lot of claims under EW including turbo, complete gearbox assembly, steering rack etc.
If the XL6 or Ertiga Petrol was known to have so many issues, like we have heard on the DDIS 200, which was known to have synchro and gearbox issues, I would have carried on with the EW. But the XL6 is a fairly simple vehicle, with cheap parts, some even cheaper than my 800! Thus was willing to explore that option.

I'm more concerned about the service which incompetent people do, and I'll have to keep getting that in hope of something which may not happen, given the equations involved. Thus why not collect my money and leave this mess forever. If anything happens, will get it repaired, if nothing happens, my gain!

To minimize this damage inflicted on the car, I've been avoiding services at workshop. Rather I've been calling their service van at home, where couple of mechanics come and that way I can request them to work as per my preferences. They always get impressed on looking at the setup I have downstairs, thus they somehow work carefully and enthusiastically, knowing that the chap monitoring them is no noob. But apparently this cannot be done at 20k service, since it needs change of all fluids. I wouldn't name the workshop, but a dealer workshop managed to screw even a coolant change in my friend's car, they over tightened the radiator drain plug which is plastic, and it cracked and started leaking. After a long fight, they changed his radiator for free.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th January 2022 at 22:24.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 08:12   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Parts which MSIL mentions are high value and stand a chance of replacement under EW:
-Compressor- Rs 10,000 in aftermarket, Rs. 13k in MGP
-ECM- Rs. 7,000
-Steering Assembly: Column: Rs.36k, Steering Box Rs. 8.6k(this is wear-tear part)
-Suspension: Total cost front and back is Rs. 14k
-Starter motor-Rs. 6k

Given the terms and condition, Maruti clearly escapes defects in expensive components like HL, TL, Power Window, Head unit etc. What's left is not that expensive that it will hurt me in some major way even if they don't cover under warranty.
Quote:
I'm more concerned about the service which incompetent people do, and I'll have to keep getting that in hope of something which may not happen, given the equations involved. Thus why not collect my money and leave this mess forever. If anything happens, will get it repaired, if nothing happens, my gain!
Given your level of attention to detail & knowledge, you woudn't be happy with shoddy job at Nexa workshops. Even if you do get service done at Nexa just to meet extended warranty terms, you will come back home and replace/fix/rework. Then why not do things your way and get out of EW dependencies. You seem to have calculated your downside if you cancel EW and also know the probablity of any of the above failing in the next few years of ownership. Worst case, you might have to start a small monthly "fund" to take care of ISG/Li-battery replacement in the long run.

If I had the knowledge, setup and support that you have, I would cancel EW and take care of the car on my own.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 18:06   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also when one looks at EW Terms and conditions, it's quite weird and Maruti has mentioned almost everything under which they can escape.
What a coincidence, yesterday we were discussing about EW, and today a fellow enthusiast drops me a message:

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-screenshot_20220107174340_whatsapp.jpg

It felt weird because folding ORVMs are electrical parts, and should be covered. Just then I had a look at their EW T&C, and this caught my eye:

"i) Paintwork, bodywork and mouldings, water entry into the vehicle, corrosion of body parts, glass, Mirrors (inner & outer), lock cylinder & key & interior trims."

My belief of Maruti's EW being a farce just got reinforced!
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 13:58   #283
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have always believed that EW mostly helps when the potential failures can be attributed to the powertrain of the vehicle. In that aspect, the XL6 is fairly blessed as the K15B motor is as reliable as any engine out there. The only potential errant could have been the ISG motor which Maruti pre-emptively covered with a recall. In this situation, I don't think an EW is needed especially in your case (you would have more working knowledge about your vehicle than most NEXA mechanics).

TL;DR Cancel the EW and save your 30k.

Last edited by sierrabravo98 : 8th January 2022 at 14:00.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 14:03   #284
BHPian

Dear All, after reading this post, I could not resist myself in giving my point of view while selecting EW (Extended Warranty) purchase. This might be a long one, kindly bear with me.

1. What is the standard warranty offered by the manufacturer ?

This is the first thing I check because does it cover the duration or kms till when I will be keeping the vehicle? Like Maruti Suzuki offers standard 40K kms or 2 years, whichever is earlier. If I am not keeping the vehicle for more than 2 years, I will not purchase EW.

2. Which vehicle are you purchasing ?

The manufacturer and model is very important to me. For a vehicle type/manufacturer which has been on sale for a long time, I always check the history of recalls and most common issues reported in genuine long term reviews. I take a call based on that. For vehicles/manufacturers which are new or have a history of niggles, I don't think much and purchase EW.

3. Do I need to purchase it at the time of vehicle purchase?

I never opt for EW at the time of vehicle purchase/delivery. I take enough time to do all my research and see how my vehicle is behaving during the standard warranty time. Like in case of Maruti Suzuki, one can purchase EW till your standard warranty is expiring, so you get time upto 2 years or 40k kms, whichever is early.

4. Is Extended Warranty "Peace of Mind" ?

NO, NEVER, Not at least in the case of MSIL now. You need to do multiple follow ups, service station visits, escalations and then give your precious time for the process. Also remember dealerships/manufacturers are always desperate for cancelling your request/complaints for silly reasons, be ready to experience that. It's not an easy job, it's one of the toughest of all with respect to the automobile industry.

And remember the greatest of all, you need to have all your timely scheduled service at authorized service centres or as directed by the manufacturer.

I've been a part of MSIL's Ecosystem for some time, and I've seen personally how bad their EW policy is.
MAKMADDY17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 20:03   #285

Hey Guys,

Need your opinion here, I am all set to get Thar LX D AT HT, the EW cost around Rs.20767. Is it worth opting for it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks