Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 11:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

I thought so, I didn't realize they added it until I was signing the last few pages with the numbers. I had just inquired if they offer any. Have to call them and cancel tomorrow, it has a 30 day cancellation if no claims are made.
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:45   #137
Senior - BHPian

For me it look like a trap. 3rd year warranty has nothing to do with the high running customer. For me an average run is above 35-40k per year. Once I use for 2 years it will be around 75-80k. It is wise to part that and go for the new one.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:22   #138
Senior - BHPian

Extended Warranties are a must be it new or preowned. I did not have an oppurtunity of getting an EW for my earlier Santro since I had ignored it when it was offered to me when I booked the car. I forgot it completely and after two years Hyundai refused to give me the EW when I was in the third year of the car possession. Hurt me a lot.
Its always to get additional warranty. But I feel that manufacturers themselves should increase the warranty period to a min of 4 years instead of making it an incentive sort of mainly used during the negotiations.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:30   #139
BHPian

In my experience, EW is a must buy. EW saved a lot on my service bills in during the third and fourth year for my Ford Fiesta 2006. They replaced Steering rack for oil leak, washer can and motor, AC parts (IIRC a motor or some sort), reverse gear switch, etc. I had more than recovered my EW premium.
Old 5th August 2010, 13:36   #140
BHPian

I bought third year extended warranty for My Fiesta Petrol I bought in APril 2010. And I am planning to buy fourth year too in given time. To add to that, I even bought the Total Maintenance Plan for 3 Years/30000 Kilometers as well. And I did this only on the advice of a couple of people I know who owns a Ford. Total cost incurred so far on EW and TMP is close to 32K so far. It will increase once I buy fourth year EW as well.

I had extended warranty for my M800 I bought in January 2004 and did not use it even once when it lapsed in jan2008.

So, if I go with my personal experience I should not have invested so heavily on EW/TMP's for my new vehicle.

[COLOR=black]So at the end of the day it depends on the product you are buying (known knowledge in the market) and your appetite to take risk. A combination of both tells you what is the right solution for you.[/COLOR]

I thought with Ford I had to be extra cautious and add my approach towards "Its better to be safe than sorry" to it, I thought I needed it and I bought it.
Old 19th August 2010, 13:16   #141
Senior - BHPian

You need one . Peace of mind.

I should have got one in time ( I missed the time period to get it or Tata changed the rules)
Old 19th August 2010, 13:25   #142
BHPian

1. Most of us buy insurance and never use it.
2. The manufacturer offers warranty since they know that in most cases it will not be used.

Just in case you happem to be the unlucky one to be the exception from the statistical trendline, it is not a bad idea to be prepared - but it is an individual choice.

Last edited by adnaps : 19th August 2010 at 13:29. Reason: Correction
Old 19th August 2010, 15:07   #143
Senior - BHPian

I took EW for 2 years beyond the manufacturer's 2-year warranty for my Ford Fiesta 1.6.
In the 3rd and 4th year, they changed the AC fan motor and the rear window regulator mechanism, so I got back whatever I'd paid for.

Edit: I regret not taking EW for my WagonR when I bought it way back in 2001. I thought it was not needed as it was a Maruti. A month after the 2-year warranty was over, the right side drive shaft started showing sounds of wear, and so did the tie rods. I waited for 4 more years to get the drive shafts fixed (both sides). I do remember paying for the tie rods getting fixed properly.

Last edited by vnabhi : 19th August 2010 at 15:10.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:16   #144
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna CRDI: Is 3rd year warranty really necessary?

I have a Verna CRDI which has logged 30K kms and will complete 2 years on 27th Sep 2010. The ownership experience has been hassle free so far, with only regular servicing required. Except front brake pads, which required change at 27K kms, no other replacements needed.

The service advisor is asking me to go in for 3rd year extended warranty,which is a cool 10K out of pocket. However I'm in 2 minds.

So far the car has not seen a single spot of trouble. I do realize that 3rd year will necessarily entail higher maintainence. Cost of Hyundai's suspension and cycle components is not that high. Can be paid out of pocket even if 3rd year warranty is not availed. The only spot of bother, I'm told, is engine parts and turbo, which are very expensive. But with the kind of mileage I log, the car will do max another 15K over the next year. Isn't accounting for engine failure at such a low mileage (45K) fairly ridiculous?

So tech gurus (and fellow Verna owners) kindly advise me. Considering your experiences with older Verna CRDIs, is going in for 3rd year warranty really necessary?

Note to the mods: I have posted this in the technical section as I'm expecting a fairly technical analysis of the Verna's long term ownership problems, and consequent solutions.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 21st September 2010 at 07:17.
Old 21st September 2010, 07:25   #145
BHPian

Even i am in a similar situation. My verna CRDi will complete 2 years in december. The car hasnt run much as I am out of india for last 1 year. It has completed only 13k.

Need you suggestions whether to go in for 3rd year warranty or not.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:30   #146
BHPian

Well I suggest you take extended warranty!! We had a Verna CRDi which was our family car and in the 3rd year we had a turbo failure!! An new one would set us back by about 60k apparently by the service center, but thanks to warranty it was replaced.

Engine bushes also gave major issues and under warranty period they were replaced by the company due to faults they detected in the installation during the turbo replacement.

Ofcourse, that is the only reason why warranty was useful for us!!
Old 21st September 2010, 16:53   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxicangel View Post
Well I suggest you take extended warranty!! We had a Verna CRDi which was our family car and in the 3rd year we had a turbo failure!! An new one would set us back by about 60k apparently by the service center, but thanks to warranty it was replaced.

Engine bushes also gave major issues and under warranty period they were replaced by the company due to faults they detected in the installation during the turbo replacement.

Ofcourse, that is the only reason why warranty was useful for us!!

That's a startling point there. A turbo failure in the 3rd year itself. How much mileage did the CRDi clock till the turbo failure?

Also did you always after stopping your car wait for a minute before switching off the engine?
Old 27th December 2010, 14:41   #148
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

I have a 18 months old i10, i was thinking about EW and got the quote as follows,
Rs.3000 for 3rd year
Rs.6550 for 3rd and 4th Year.
Is it worth going in for EW. As of now the vehicle has run for 17k.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:04   #149
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Definitely worth investing the few thousands in the extended warranty for complete peace of mind especially in case of things like Turbo charger etc.
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:56   #150
BHPian

The possibility of delaying any spare replacement by the dealer during extended warranty and
immediately on completion of warranty period, the owner finds lots of spare replacement requirements in short span of time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks