Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2016, 14:31   #241
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkunaldas View Post
My dilemma is which one should I take. Somebody please advice about the different BSI and BRI packages.
I am planning to take the zero dep policy.
I am planning BSI package of 3yrs/ 40000 kms which costs around Rs 1.05 lacs.
I am confused between 5 and 6 yr BRI package
5yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.1 lacs
6 yr BRI costs approx Rs 1.78 lacs
Which one to go for?
6 years for sure.
You will tend to keep such a car for 5-6 years. the Extra peace of mind for 60K is well worth it. 5K a month!
Old 10th June 2016, 11:24   #242
Team-BHP Support

We have a few cases in the forum where owners have had issues with extended warranty claim because of slightly overshooting the scheduled service intervals. Some cases have been noted below, and are not particularly brand specific in nature-

IMO, this exposes the major issue with extended warranty programs- they are nothing but insurance policies offered by a tie up between the manufacturer and the insurance company to ideally benefit all three parties involved including the customer. But the quality of service rendered during extended warranty claims are only as good as the insurance company providing the extended warranty.

It would be extremely useful in the long run to have all paperwork in order and keep an extremely vigilant eye on the service schedules specified by the manufacturer. The service schedules are both time bound and also depends on the usage. Some manufacturers also have strict intervals between services that needs to be adhered as well, which might otherwise void extended warranty inspite of getting all service done as scheduled.

One or the other might not make sense in your particular case due to various factors like low usage etc, but these could adversely affect your extended warranty claim in the long run.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 15:20   #243

Buying a Volvo S60 and it comes with a 2 year warranty. Volvo offers an extended warranty for a further 2 years (for years 3 & 4) with no kilometers limit (unlimited kilometers) for Rs. 1.85 Lacs. Do you guys think it is worth the cost. Volvos are typically expected to be built rock solid and should easily last 7+ years and a 100K on the odo without any issues if serviced regularly and decently taken care of.

Does it make sense for me to shell out the extra 1.85L for two years of extended warranty? I am thinking that if there is a manufacturing defect then it should show up in the first couple of years and if it runs well for two years then good care will ensure that there are no failures after that.
Old 30th September 2016, 18:24   #244
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Most definitely, when buying these expensive High End cars, it is worth spending extra for the peace of mind that Extended Warranty gives you, along with Zero Dep Insurance.
Nothing is predictable these days.
Your car might give trouble just a day after the moment when your initial warranty expires. There is no way you can bank on and gamble that anything that is likely to go wrong, will happen within the first two years!
If you're spending such big bucks on the car, then I would suggest you spend some more for peace of mind!
Old 30th September 2016, 23:45   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer007 View Post
I am thinking that if there is a manufacturing defect then it should show up in the first couple of years and if it runs well for two years then good care will ensure that there are no failures after that.
A colleague had a fuel pump failure in his VW sedan (not sure if it was a Vento or a Jetta) about 6 months after his 2 year warranty expired. Since he did not opt for extended warranty, he was presented with a bill in the range of 3 lacs. He had to get into hectic negotiations and ask for goodwill warranty to reduce that amount.

I do not know the price of your car, so can't comment on the extended warranty amount.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 1st October 2016 at 00:07. Reason: Not sure about the model.
Old 1st October 2016, 09:04   #246

The Volvo S60 Cross country has an on road price of about 55 lacs.

Am definitely going for the zero dep insurance.

As for extended warranty I've heard some horror stories from my friends as well as read of a few here on this forum. But those are mostly German make cars. Aren't these Scandinavian beauties from the Volvo stable supposed to be built like a tank and last for years without any issues unlike the other European beauties from Germany and Italy.

I'm also aware of the thousands of electric sensors and electric components that could potentially breakdown after the standard warranty period expires. Dealer doesn't know approx cost of some of the common components which would help me take a decision.

Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing the extended warranty only for the peace of mind.
Old 1st October 2016, 12:59   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer007 View Post
Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing the extended warranty only for the peace of mind.
Don't go by which manufacturer makes more reliable cars, No matter what car, What brand, Extended warranty is a complete YES! Not only its a peace of mind, You can potentially save lakhs if something unexpectedly goes wrong with such complex machines.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 17:02   #248
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As a big fan of extended warranties (I take the max coverage for my cars, TV, phone, laptop & everything else!), such news always makes me smile.

From JD Power Study:

Quote:
In 2017, 38% of all owners say they have an extended warranty, up from 27% last year. More first-time vehicle buyers (44%) purchase an extended warranty than do repeat owners (31%).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 12:17   #249
BANNED

This is what is covered in the extended warranty.

ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-img20171011wa0002.jpg

I have purchased the 4th year extended warranty for 11,xxxK for my Hyundai Creta 1.6L CRDi SX (O).

Worthy purchase since it covers most of the crucial parts.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 17:16   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is what is covered in the extended warranty.

Attachment 1684348

I have purchased the 4th year extended warranty for 11,xxxK for my Hyundai Creta 1.6L CRDi SX (O).

Worthy purchase since it covers most of the crucial parts.
Interesting. Verna CRDi SX (O) that I bought is lower priced than Creta CRDi SX(O) but the extended warranty is 13,523 which is higher than the 11k odd for the Creta.
Not making sense to me - maybe the Verna extended warranty is higher as they are trying to fleece some money off the early buyers !
bhpfaninblr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 14:13   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpfaninblr View Post
Interesting. Verna CRDi SX (O) that I bought is lower priced than Creta CRDi SX(O) but the extended warranty is 13,523 which is higher than the 11k odd for the Creta.
Not making sense to me - maybe the Verna extended warranty is higher as they are trying to fleece some money off the early buyers !
You might have the numbers wrong!

The "4 year, 80k Kms" extended warranty for the Next Gen Verna Diesel MT costs Rs. 11,460 plus GST where as for Creta Diesel MT it's Rs. 10,980 plus GST

The "4 year, 100k Kms" extended warranty for the Next Gen Verna Diesel MT costs Rs. 12,000 plus GST. There is no such option for Creta.

The "4th and 5th year, 100k Kms" extended warranty for the Next Gen Verna Diesel MT costs Rs. 15,790 plus GST where as for Creta Diesel MT it is Rs. 20,630 plus GST

Going for the last option of 4th and 5th year extended warranty (which a lot of people will), Verna turns out to be quite cheaper than Creta!
pathik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2017, 22:25   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
You might have the numbers wrong!

The "4 year, 80k Kms" extended warranty for the Next Gen Verna Diesel MT costs Rs. 11,460 plus GST where as for Creta Diesel MT it's Rs. 10,980 plus GST

The "4th and 5th year, 100k Kms" extended warranty for the Next Gen Verna Diesel MT costs Rs. 15,790 plus GST where as for Creta Diesel MT it is Rs. 20,630 plus GST

Going for the last option of 4th and 5th year extended warranty (which a lot of people will), Verna turns out to be quite cheaper than Creta!
Thanks - but the price list at the showroom had only one option for extended warranty that was 13523 INR, which I think is for the 4th year. How much does the 5th year standalone cost? In any case, it was not part of their price sheet
Old 18th July 2018, 17:19   #253
BHPian

I own and innova (Type-3) which had ran just 70K (very low by innova standards in 5 Yrs time frame), and I had taken the extended warranty for 5 years, the warranty period is getting over by this September, Toyota had another warranty called “Time Less Warranty” which can be extended up to 7 Yrs and 180K kms. I enquired about that today. The SA told me that this can be done year after year, means I can opt for only 1 year (that is for 6th year first), and after completing 6 year extend for another one more year. I am OK for that, but for this it require some 70 point check item, and as per SA that also should be fine in my car. But the cost for just 6th year time less warranty is 34K. SA is telling in normal case such a low run innova may not create any issue, at the max it will be some shock change that also will be very much less than 34K. I am getting confused on this, is it worth spending 34K for just one year extended warranty? For my 4&5 year warranty I spend only 27K, but 34K for just one year seems really high, Can you please guide?
Old 30th July 2018, 12:25   #254
BHPian

Does the Standard warranty start from Date of Manufacture of the vehicle or from Date of Delivery of the vehicle?

I got delivery of my car on 16 August 2016, with 2 years of standard warranty. So I was under the impression that my car have a warranty until 16 August 2018.

Today I called the dealership to enquire about extended warranty and they said my car's standard warranty has already expired on June 2018 and so I cannot get extended warranty. According to them (Audi India dealership) the standard warranty is effective from Date of Manufacturing and not from Date of Delivery to customer! My car is 2016 June manufactured.

It doesn't make sense to me. How can the warranty of my car start while the car is with the dealership. How am I responsible for that? Is this the case with all manufacturers?
Old 30th July 2018, 12:43   #255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Does the Standard warranty start from Date of Manufacture of the vehicle or from Date of Delivery of the vehicle?
It always starts from the Date of Delivery. Here are two images for the details from my Creta's warranty documents:

Standard warranty from owners manual (See Point 1)
ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-screenshot_20180730123810.jpg

From the extended warranty document (See Point 2)
ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?-img_20180730_123450768x1365.jpg

Why don't you check your owner's manual for details?

Last edited by navin : 30th July 2018 at 16:17. Reason: typo
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks