Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:16   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issue with Hyundai extended warranty eligibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSK View Post
Can the above scenario actually be allowed under consumer laws ? Do I have any grounds or means to seek redressal ? Would be glad to hear if anyone else has faced this situation, and what can be done.
If indeed the policy has changed over years, I don't think you will stand a chance. There would be a fine print stating the same too. I suggest you talk to Hyundai senior officials and ask for the same to be done as a good will gesture [if the policy has changed].

But as a matter of fact, I would NOT take an extended warranty for a petrol from Hyundai [same with Suzuki & Honda as well]. The case would have been different if it was a diesel car.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:44   #167
Senior - BHPian

Why do you want to buy 2 more years of warranty?

If you have been satisfied for last three years and the car has not given any major trouble, then its highly unlikely (not a guarantee) that something will break soon.

Most cars should last well beyond 5/6 Years (1L Kms) without much trouble, the warranty is only to safeguard for the customer if things go wrong before that. Also remember the extended warranty is mostly only for engine and transmission (These usually last well beyond 15L Kms).
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:35   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Why do you want to buy 2 more years of warranty?

If you have been satisfied for last three years and the car has not given any major trouble, then its highly unlikely (not a guarantee) that something will break soon.

Most cars should last well beyond 5/6 Years (1L Kms) without much trouble, the warranty is only to safeguard for the customer if things go wrong before that. Also remember the extended warranty is mostly only for engine and transmission (These usually last well beyond 15L Kms).
I treat this question the same way I treat the question of buying medical and life insurance. If anything goes wrong you are covered. Most of us never wind up using our medical or life insurance yet most of us buy it.

Treat your car the same way and buying an extended warranty, unless the cost is prohibitive, makes a lot of sense provided you know what is and what isn't covered under the policy.
Old 24th March 2012, 04:31   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I treat this question the same way I treat the question of buying medical and life insurance. If anything goes wrong you are covered.
With due respect, this isn't insurance, this is warranty, and both are different, for Insurance you have insurance of your car which covers everything.

The way warranty works is, you are not always guaranteed of the replacement. If still in confusion please read through excellent thread on this topic by @tsk1979 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...et-robbed.html).
Old 24th March 2012, 08:08   #170
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Extended Warranties. Yes or No?

I think it is an absolute must to go for an extended warrenty.

I made this choice and have saved a pretty sum over the last couple of years post the expiry of the regular warrenty
Old 24th March 2012, 08:43   #171
BHPian

For me it depends how much is the cost of the car and what is the extended warranty charges. For Logan they were charging 13k for extended warranty. My car was from the initial vehicles that were sold when it was launched in the first couple of months. I didn't go for the same as it was expensive and i had confidence on the Renault name. Its been more than 4 years and i never faced any issues with my car.

Just bought a Vista Quadrajet last week, and went for 2+2 extended warranty by paying Rs 5100 as the amount was less and i have peace of mind in case of any major failures coverage is there from TATA.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:09   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
With due respect, this isn't insurance, this is warranty, and both are different, for Insurance you have insurance of your car which covers everything.

The way warranty works is, you are not always guaranteed of the replacement. If still in confusion please read through excellent thread on this topic by @tsk1979 (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-robbed.html).
I agree entirely with your sentiments, which is why I put the following line in.

makes a lot of sense provided you know what is and what isn't covered under the policy.

The same applies to medical insurance for example. There are some that do not cover pre-existing conditions, some that have a maximum payout, some that don't cover certain types of illness.

With both insurace and warranty, read the fine print, know what is covered, and proceed accordingly. However, my point is that for a small amount, you hopefully get a lot covered and you get peace of mind
Old 24th March 2012, 20:20   #173
BHPian

My two bits, with my second scorpio and a diesel Fabia and now a Diesel Punto- am of the firsm opinion that any diesel car you want to buy, the one with the longest warranty wins- almost!

I blew a fuel injector on the Scorpio after 85000Km, and that would have set me back about 18000. Then a radiator fan on the Fabia in its 30th month- damn... 10K gone...

The extended warranty on the Scorpio costs about 10K- and in my opinion- worth every dime.

But then I guess the attitude of the company and is service staff also counts, and in my experience from Nagaur in Rajasthan to Parel in Mumbai- by far the After Sales Service has been top notch by Mahindra, where the warranty is concerned.

KD
Old 28th March 2012, 11:52   #174
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I need a suggestion from all of you.

I have bought a Pre-Owned Maruti WagonR, which is manufactured in September 2010 & Regsitered in october 2010. The ODO Reading is 17,800 kms. Which means the car is still almost 18 months old & still under Maruti standard Warranty (2 years or 40,000 Kms).

Now the question I have is, can I opt for 3rd & 4th years Extended Warranty now? If yes, would it be worth going for?

Also can someone please throw some light on the procedure & changes for the same?

Thanks,
Old 28th March 2012, 12:31   #175
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

The Extended Warranty is well worth the investment. Speaking from personal experience I ve invoked it on 3 separate occasions on my Scorpio and saved myself a reasonable sum - more than I paid for the warranty itself, which simply illustrates my point.

I m a firm believer in taking the extended warranty every time when buying a new car.
Old 28th March 2012, 15:21   #176
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I have bought a Pre-Owned Maruti WagonR, which is manufactured in September 2010 & Regsitered in october 2010. The ODO Reading is 17,800 kms. Which means the car is still almost 18 months old & still under Maruti standard Warranty (2 years or 40,000 Kms).

Now the question I have is, can I opt for 3rd & 4th years Extended Warranty now? If yes, would it be worth going for?
Yes, if you can get the extended warranties, go for it. Check how much you will need to pay though, since the car is already 18 months old. The older the car the more the premium on the 3/4 year warranties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Extended Warranty is well worth the investment. Speaking from personal experience I ve invoked it on 3 separate occasions on my Scorpio and saved myself a reasonable sum - more than I paid for the warranty itself, which simply illustrates my point.
This was the same in my case as well. Used the extended warranty on a previous car that we owned to replace the steering gearbox and saved a tidy sum.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:19   #177
BHPian

Can Hyundai/Dealer Refuse Extended Warranty for i20 Asta Auto 1.4

My warranty expiring in 2 weeks and I have been trying to extend it for another 2 years. I tried 4 times so far to my regular dealer and he is not responding by excusing to call me back but that never happens. suddenly it occurred to me that probably I am on their black list due to repeated complaints (rattling, AC) and have been very demanding with them.

Still they want my business for next service due for this week, I called them up and wanted an immediate answer, they told me for i20 Automatic they don't provide Extended Warranty.

I told him it is ridiculous that a car company refuse Extended Warranty for their own vehicle which is still in warranty, they don't have rights to do that. Either they are afraid that I will keep complaining and make spend their own money (?) to fix the issues now and then.

Please share your thoughts.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:28   #178
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can Hyundai/Dealer Refuse Extended Warranty for i20 Asta Auto 1.4

If I remember correctly, they were not giving extended warranty(5 years) on Diesel i20s. Regarding automatic, I am not sure. Extended warranty( 5 years) is available on 1.2 Kappa i20s.

Please call up the local Hyundai office(not the dealership) or the RO and get it confirmed.
Old 23rd April 2012, 10:52   #179
BHPian

I just got a callback and the dealership told me for i20 Auto no extended warranty, gave me this email id for contact, cresro@hmil.net

If this is true, then they are not confident about their vehicles and for sure they know it will start giving troubles after 2 years.. sounds crazy to me
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:21   #180
BHPian

I received a call from JD power for survey, gave the poor ratings based on the above and the way they are treating the repeated complainers.

Most Viewed