Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2016, 09:35   #781
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarun View Post
Guys need ------SNIP------. Please advise…
Let it go, please. This car is shouting out that its trouble.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 13:26   #782
BHPian

Thanks hserus, NPV, mayankk...

OK, let me clarify further. The engine block is fine, no rust there. Apparently the engraved no. in Tjet for RTO purpose is on floor beneath carpet area (a cut out provided) at the navigator's seat. That's what has been rusted and chipped off fully. It seems there's no other area (checked manual) where the engraving is available.

All other nos. at different positions are intact and fully aligned with documentation / RC

The guy is an individual owner and works in a reputed firm at a senior position. From the communications i had so far, i feel their is fair level of transparency. However, want to be really sure before concluding in this case as do not want any repercussions later, let me know if there's any other thing that i missed to address and share your thoughts...
Old 16th December 2016, 13:51   #783
BHPian

Quote:
The guy is an individual owner and works in a reputed firm at a senior position. From the communications i had so far, i feel their is fair level of transparency. However, want to be really sure before concluding in this case as do not want any repercussions later, let me know if there's any other thing that i missed to address and share your thoughts...
Sorry to jump in.
I would be very suspicious how only the most important part got fully rusted/chipped away and still have everything else in tip top shape. This will be suspicious even in Mumbai or any humid place. If this is in Delhi, surely its not normal.

I don't want to influence your decision, but I would have would walk out of this.
Old 16th December 2016, 15:08   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Sorry to jump in.
I would be very suspicious how only the most important part got fully rusted/chipped away and still have everything else in tip top shape. This will be suspicious even in Mumbai or any humid place. If this is in Delhi, surely its not normal.

I don't want to influence your decision, but I would have would walk out of this.
Is the rest of the vehicle bed also rusted in patches? If the rusting is localized to just the area where the VIN data is etched .. it remains funny.

If the rest of the bed has rusted in spots - knock a bit off the price.

Fiat or any other manufacturer will engrave in multiple spots - engine bay, boot etc not just the driver foot well. Are you sure you checked from the owner manual?
Old 16th December 2016, 20:48   #785
BHPian

Nope hserus, performed a thorough inspection and rusting is only evident on the "D" cut area on the floor carpet (engraved portion) at navigator's side. The rationale is that car washers may be putting up wet mats back in the car and since that cut being a relatively exposed area, water seeped in caused rusting. I checked on another Tjet and thats the area for engraved marking. Called up an FA dealer and they confirmed that is the only area for chasis marking and mentioned in manual as well.

Freedom, that's fine. Its important to express to take an informed decision..

let me know for any other points...
Old 16th December 2016, 23:15   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Nope hserus, performed a thorough inspection and rusting is only evident on the "D" cut area on the floor carpet (engraved portion) at navigator's side. The rationale is that car washers may be putting up wet mats back in the car and since that cut being a relatively exposed area, water seeped in caused rusting. I checked on another Tjet and thats the area for engraved marking. Called up an FA dealer and they confirmed that is the only area for chasis marking and mentioned in manual as well.

Freedom, that's fine. Its important to express to take an informed decision..

let me know for any other points...
Attaching, picture of the rusted portion..
Mods tried embedding it to the above post, but didn't work out. Please feel free to edit as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-rusting-chasis-no..jpg  

Old 26th December 2016, 08:05   #787
BHPian

I am looking for a cheap Maruti 800 for just running around in city. Max running 4-5kms per day. Is it ok to go for 800s from 1997-1998 era? I somehow felt the cars with number plates on bootlid better built than the ones on rear bumber. True or superficial? What's the mileage to expect? Not looking to spend anything more than 40k max since we already have two more cars for other choirs. TIA!
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:10   #788
BHPian

My cousin has zeroed in on a 2006 Honda Civic with 1.2L on the odo, but the problem is that the car's delivery date and manufacturing date are almost 1 year apart. Is this a cause of great concern? The car looks good in all other aspects. Full company service with extensive service history.
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:02   #789
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunsatheesh View Post
My cousin has zeroed in on a 2006 Honda Civic with 1.2L on the odo, but the problem is that the car's delivery date and manufacturing date are almost 1 year apart. Is this a cause of great concern? The car looks good in all other aspects. Full company service with extensive service history.
It might be an ex-demo car
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:06   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It might be an ex-demo car
The owner is saying that is a mistake. But how does such a mistake come in the rc of a car ? Should I tell my cousin to stay away from such cars ?
Old 2nd January 2017, 10:12   #791
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunsatheesh View Post
The owner is saying that is a mistake. But how does such a mistake come in the rc of a car ? Should I tell my cousin to stay away from such cars ?
You could

1: Get it corrected

2: Not bother about it.

It is an old car, the age difference will not make a big difference in the car value
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:29   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend is looking at a used Duster - 2014 registered, 42k run. Service record available upto 40k. Dealer is Mahindra First Choice at Atul Kataria Chowk, Gurgaon, NCR.

Couple of points I noticed -
1. Last 40k service done in July-16. No record after that.
2. Tyres appear almost new - verified the manufacturing date - 19th week of 2016. Not sure what to make of it.
3. Couple of accidental insurance claims for repair of fenders, rear windsheild and rear bumper. No engine component change visible in the service record.
4. Insurance is expired. My friend will need to buy one. Without the RC on his name, how will he get the insurance? Basis the delivery note?

Overall it seems in an OK nick, not sure of what to make of the above points?
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:12   #793
Senior - BHPian

He can have the tyres changed at some other tyre store rather than at the authorized service centre. Expired insurance means the guy can renew insurance and then hand you the car so that it can be transferred.

Check the car using a mechanic for any third party repairs performed, especially if the insurance claims are AFTER the 40k service in July 2016.

Servicing a car at a 3rd party garage is ok that is not a big issue especially if the original owner had service quality issues with the A.S.S. But third party repairs just mean you need a mechanic to inspect the vehicle .. good to do that in any case.

Last edited by hserus : 23rd February 2017 at 20:14.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 11:57   #794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
He can have the tyres changed at some other tyre store rather than at the authorized service centre.
Yes, I know tyre change doesn't usually reflect in the service history. The odo is at 42k now, compared to 40k at last service in July-16. The tyre manufacturing date is somewhere in April/May 2016. So they must have been changed quite close to the 40k service. And then the vehicle was sold to Mahindra first choice. Maybe I am being paranoid, but I don't see the logic of replacing the tyres just before selling off the car.

Quote:
Expired insurance means the guy can renew insurance and then hand you the car so that it can be transferred.
This is with a dealer, he says we can either take insurance through him or can get it on our own.

Quote:
Check the car using a mechanic for any third party repairs performed, especially if the insurance claims are AFTER the 40k service in July 2016.

Servicing a car at a 3rd party garage is ok that is not a big issue especially if the original owner had service quality issues with the A.S.S. But third party repairs just mean you need a mechanic to inspect the vehicle .. good to do that in any case
Yes, that's our next course of action if my friend decides to continue. I am also thinking of getting it evaluated at the Renault service center itself. Might cost a few bucks now but at least there won't be any nasty surprises later on.
Old 25th February 2017, 07:44   #795
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India

Dealer won't budge from 121k and also wants 4K as commission with 3K registration charges. The biggest problem I see is not that I won't pay above 115k but rather that he wants a 5k conditional advance to take the car to the ford service centre for checkup....

Brakes are literally gone. I was punching the car on empty road and got really scared when brakes didn't work. Even stalled the car when doing a 3 point turn because I was nervous of hitting something even though technically you could stop with the clutch at the start.

Engine makes weird sounds and the vibrations are really high considering I drove a few 2006 examples who did do none of the above and were really smooth throughout the rpm range. This felt weird and overall when I walked out, it had a meh feel to it even after I left. I've told him to call me if he can get the price down a bit because at the end I'm not going to pay 128k for a 10 year old car even if the outside condition and interiors are really good but the mechanicals are dissapointing. Am I doing something wrong here because my gut said walk away when he started giving out promises on how it'd all on him and I shouldn't worry because the money is nothing.

Oh & his partner blurted out oh you will only lose 25k when you come to resell it in few months which he quickly tried to correct by saying "oh it could appreciate as well" just making me laugh on the spot.

I just don't feel it with this one. Perhaps experts could chime in and tell me if I should rethink it.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_2468.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_2475.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_2470.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_2472.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_2474.jpg  

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India-img_2473.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks