Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 22:40   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

The dealer wants to deal in black for some % of the money, which is fairly common in the used car market. If you are comfortable with that it is your choice.

He has already purchased the car from the company in question and collected a blank set of transfer paperwork from the company - and as its company owned, this paperwork should be stamped and signed by the company's authorized representative (most likely someone in their finance team). An insurance transfer from the company to you should also be provided. Check that.

Once you have paid him - your name gets filled into the appropriate blanks in the transfer paperwork and sent off to the RTO along with the required proofs.

Standard enough once you check that the paperwork on that vehicle is clear and its signed by the appropriate company.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 00:06   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The dealer wants to deal in black for some % of the money, which is fairly common in the used car market. If you are comfortable with that it is your choice.
I don't care honestly, just wanted to know the logic behind it. Since he's purchased the car he'd most likely want to have the maximum cash involved possible, makes sense now.

He said during the delivery he'd be handing over the delivery note to me. Since you mentioned insurance transfer, what all documents should I be taking from him once I make the entire payment. He said that the new RC would take some time though.
Old 17th July 2017, 00:15   #843
Senior - BHPian

What you'll get will be a set of transfer forms including rto forms, insurance transfer note, sale receipt, delivery note (basically it says we have sold this car to you, it is yours now and by the way if anything happens and it's your headache not ours) and original rc / insurance copied

Hand it all to an rto agent and insurance broker and it'll be taken care of, or the dealer might offer to put his people on that job. Work it out with the dealer if you don't have any regular insurance broker / rto agent known to you.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 14:38   #844
Senior - BHPian

Require help with a used car history

Hi Mods,

I'm not sure whether its the right place to pop this question but I've come across a used Toyota Fortuner 4x4 and so far everything looks alright about the car. However, my contact in Toyota needs 2-3 days of time to verify the service records of the car while I would like to close the deal before someone else does. He's a friend of my dad but would be sending this query to the Toyota corporate office and the overall journey of query would be time consuming.

Is it possible that someone here could help me fetch the service history if I share the car registration number or the Engine/Chassis No.?

If not, what's the fastest way to get these details. Can I just call up any Toyota service center and would they really part with this kind of information for a car that doesn't even belong to me?

Regards,
Old 17th July 2017, 14:45   #845
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Require help with a used car history

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
If not, what's the fastest way to get these details. Can I just call up any Toyota service center and would they really part with this kind of information for a car that doesn't even belong to me?
Regards,
Catch hold of one from your friends' circle who owns a Toyota (be that anywhere in India) and most of them would have at least one contact to who they can talk to from their usual ASCs and fetch the details for you.

If you call Toyota Service Center directly, the request may not be entertained easily. However, if you walk in and explain them your situation (with some valid proofs), they should not hesitate to help you.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 16:13   #846
Senior - BHPian

How does this Fortuner look? Asking 18 lakhs, its Sep 2013 manufactured (Oct'13 registered) and has done ~51k kms.

Its with the TRD kit, front/back bumper skirts, spoiler, illuminated scuff plates etc. It looks absolutely menacing in person. Its got a pretty decent sound system with RF sub in the boot. During the test drive there wasn't a single rattle. I couldn't make out any repaint on any of the panels but trying to get the service history checked from Toyota. If someone can help in this area here, please let me know, would highly appreciate it.

Issues with the car:
The driver side seat has a cut in leather upholstery, the ORVM indicator's outer transparent plastic is broken on the right side and while the headlamp washers were put back I forgot to test them, most likely they won't work.

Now I haven't looked at too many Fortuners but this one looked very neat from inside. The middle and last row were shining as brand new. Interiors all over were all newish and the dealer is yet to polish the exterior & dry clean the interiors though.

Tyres are original dunlop but I would want to replace them as they weren't confidence inspiring though the dealer insisted that they would run another 25-30k without any fuss. I'll take the risk during city driving but would want to replace them before taking on a long highway trip.

EDIT: Its also got the 5-year warranty 3M underbody rust treatment done, the dealer has the warranty card also. Car IDV is ~16 lakhs.

Last edited by fine69 : 17th July 2017 at 16:14.
Old 18th July 2017, 09:23   #847
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Take the car in for a full pre-purchase inspection at a Toyota service center. The mass market brands charge anywhere between 3k - 6k for a full inspection and it is a MUST before buying a used car. You'll receive the full service history as part of this inspection.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 15:23   #848
Senior - BHPian

ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

So I saw another Fortuner, odo was tampered to show 48k while the last service record for March 2017 showed 88k on the odo.

The dealer is willing to negotiate further given that the odo would actually be somewhere around 95k.

The car is in great condition given that its run 95k but I wanted to know if there's a risk to car electronics when one tampers with the odo. Since it shows 48k now, I would want to change the odo again to 95k so what risk exists when doing such a thing.

EDIT: The dealer did not know about the odo tampering because he was the one who took me to the Toyota showroom. I like the car hence the question about this odo tampering thing.

Last edited by fine69 : 18th July 2017 at 15:24.
Old 18th July 2017, 18:09   #849
BHPian

Why would you want to buy a used car from someone who has tampered the odo? Now that its been established that the seller is an unethical guy, how can you be sure that he is not hiding something else? For example a crash necessitating major body work that he may have undertaken outside the Toyota service centres.

I would stay F-A-R away from such deals.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 18:38   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Now that its been established that the seller is an unethical guy, how can you be sure that he is not hiding something else? For example a crash necessitating major body work that he may have undertaken outside the Toyota service centres.
Actually I was really put off when I saw the service record at Toyota and decided to just go home. The dealer then proposed that while it has been established that the car may have run 95k kms why don't we get it inspected by paying 3000 rupees to Toyota which will provide a comprehensive report of chassis, mechanicals and electricals.

The Toyota service guy was kind enough to not charge the 3000 upfront and said that we should first look at the service record and if everything is in order he can do the comprehensive inspection that costs 3000.

I told the dealer that I'll think about it and let him know. Then I called up Toyota service center asking them what all gets covered in their inspection and he said that the car would be lifted, underbody would be checked for damage, any new weld joints etc. would also be looked for, then electricals, suspension etc.

About the tampering, he said that if there would be any tampering related damage or change to ECU even that could be found during inspection. They will correct the odo reading to 95k and even mention in service record that incorrect odo reading has been corrected.

Now let me come to the pricing, the earlier deal was for 17.25 which wasn't too good or bad and now I proposed nothing above 15. The tyres are mid-2016 manufactured Bridgestone Dunlops (all 5).

Given the revised price I'm wanting to consider the car once again. Maybe if the deal is done at 15.5 also it wouldn't be too bad (2013 model run 95k). Cosmetically the car needs nothing major done in near future at all. Engine wise the report would tell.

What do you guys think of all this now? I'm a little confused myself
Old 18th July 2017, 23:18   #851
Distinguished - BHPian

I see that you are located in Delhi. I once went to Galaxy Toyota and asked them a similar thing about an Innova we were planning to buy. They happily obliged. But then over the years they have become very busy and may or may not be as forthcoming now. Having said that, GTO is right and you should get a full inspection from them. I got it done for a Santro I bought in Bangalore at Hyundai ASS.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 16:48   #852
Senior - BHPian

So, without divulging too many details (yet), let me thank you all and tell you that the Fortuner is home.

What I got was the RC copy, previous insurance receipt (comprehensive & valid till Feb 2018) and the delivery note.

Upon insisting I got a kaccha sale receipt also. The payment was made to the dealer, 100% in cheque, though the car is in the owner's company name.

Now when I asked them about the insurance transfer they said that it will only happen once the RC is changed to my company's name.

Question, with the delivery note and the insurance receipt is it a good idea to take the vehicle out? I mean if it meets with an accident or is stolen what really happens. Would the current insurance company (TATA AIG) honour the claim? Who would have to approach the insurance company, me or the previous owner?

Lastly, what's the ideal process of insurance transfer when everyone around is telling me that without RC transfer insurance transfer won't happen.

When I checked for a fresh insurance the guy wanted Form 29 & 30 also. I didn't ask for it yesterday and now the dealer wants 2-3 days to send it over.
Old 20th July 2017, 17:13   #853
Senior - BHPian

Without the RC and insurance in your name - don't take the vehicle out. There's stories on tbhp of some guy who took his pre owned and near new Jetta on a highway trip and hit a dog, causing 40k ++ of bodywork damage that insurance wouldn't cover because of the transfer yet to happen. Last I saw that thread he was hunting for parts from Pudupet (Chennai's chor bazaar for car parts) to reduce his repair costs.

edit -

Wait for RC transfer to take place - if delhi to delhi it will take place within 4..5 days or less. Once that takes place and the car is endorsed to your name, you can immediately process the insurance transfer within a few hours.

Last edited by hserus : 20th July 2017 at 17:17.
Old 20th July 2017, 17:24   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Wait for RC transfer to take place - if delhi to delhi it will take place within 4..5 days or less. Once that takes place and the car is endorsed to your name, you can immediately process the insurance transfer within a few hours.
Thanks for the warning! I am driving the Celerio for now and will continue to do so.

So I'm guessing this is normal when buying a used car i.e. waiting out for RC transfer to happen, then insurance transfer and then taking the vehicle out. Or is there a better way to manage all this?

I'm actually surprised because given the no. of accidents happening daily, I'm sure a lot of guys would be in a fix every now and then just because insurance company won't pay a dime and they would realize this only when they've met with an accident.
Old 20th July 2017, 18:56   #855
Senior - BHPian

Perfectly normal and that guy with the Jetta isn't the only one to get surprised by this.

If you use the Fortuner even to go to the nearby temple to do a puja, or drop your kids at school, be careful, don't overspeed / take it on highway trips etc till the insurance and RC transfer are over.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks