Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2018, 21:51   #991
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 6,308
Thanked: 7,476 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
What can the buyer do now? The RC has a different signature and the transfer forms have a different signature.
Not really sure but I think a notarised affidavit can help here. The affidavit must mention that the seller is using the newer signature and then notary must attest the same.
Lawyers on our forum can pitch in with the right solution.

Last edited by NPV : 19th November 2018 at 21:57.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 00:49   #992
BHPian
 
Arsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Srinagar, J&K
Posts: 103
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hi.

I am in process of buying a used gypsy. After doing some research, I have made a crude checklist (enclosed) for inspection of a used car covering almost all the aspects. While the checklist is very basic and there is a lot of room for improvement, I suggest that we keep on adding items to it to make it more exhaustive.

PS: The dealers/agents get very irritated when you carry a 5-page checklist and work your way in a step-wise manner leaving nothing unchecked and noting every single shortcoming.

The dealer in my case got so annoyed that he almost refused to let me inspect further telling me that this is the first time he had seen something like this. But in the end, I was able to bring down extra 10k from the finalized deal.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Car buying checklist.xlsx (14.5 KB, 582 views)

Last edited by Arsi : 20th November 2018 at 00:52. Reason: grammatical
Arsi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:43   #993
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Need guidance to pick to used corolla altis
Year : July 2013
Owner: 2nd
Trim: 1.8 VL AT

Car was picked by current seller from Toyota Trust so it gives some level of comfort. Body is clean and has minor dents here and there. Nothing too worrying. Interior is very clean and has been maintained well.

Service history is clean without any insurance claims. Also got it checked in Toyota Service Center and there are no major complaints.


Owner is quoting 7.5L for 40k driven vehicle.


What could be the right price for this vehicle in bangalore?

Last edited by vivek.ks : 30th November 2018 at 16:44. Reason: Too much space
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 18:44   #994
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,720
Thanked: 7,044 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Hi.

I am in process of buying a used gypsy. After doing some research, I have made a crude checklist (enclosed) for inspection of a used car covering almost all the aspects. While the checklist is very basic and there is a lot of room for improvement, I suggest that we keep on adding items to it to make it more exhaustive.

PS: The dealers/agents get very irritated when you carry a 5-page checklist and work your way in a step-wise manner leaving nothing unchecked and noting every single shortcoming.

The dealer in my case got so annoyed that he almost refused to let me inspect further telling me that this is the first time he had seen something like this. But in the end, I was able to bring down extra 10k from the finalized deal.

Well done. Dont make the mistakes I have made. Youíre the customer.
If the dealer wants the sale badly enough he will come around. Else there are many more Gypsys to look at. Dont be held to ransom by these unscrupulous cheater dealers. They are as a rule, untrustworthy profiteers.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:32   #995
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Service history is clean without any insurance claims. Also got it checked in Toyota Service Center and there are no major complaints.
This car has one comment from recent service which has got me worried. It is mentioned that Oil Sump has a dent and needs to be replaced. Enquired casually with Service center and cost goes up to 50k for this procedure including consumables. Now I am in a fix - whether to go ahead buying this vehicle and drop it all together.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 19:22   #996
BHPian
 
Ketan T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 215
Thanked: 170 Times
Default

Just a general warning to guys buying used cars. Overhead a conversation at company authorized car service center. The guy was sitting next to me and narrating his story to the Service Advisor. He bought a Diesel 2010 model. The car had clocked 85k kms when he bought it. After using it for a month, the engine developed some problem, and the car was brought to the said service centre. Now the fun (or pain) begins. The SA was checking the service history and informed the guy that the car was last serviced at an authorized service centre in 2015 and the odo reading then was 1,40,000kms. Obviously, the second hand car dealer had reduced the kms. The estimate for repairs was over a lakh as the engine required a lot of work. The SA was telling him that always check at authorized service centre for service records when buying an old car.

So that's what I want to tell all of those looking to buy a second hand car. Please, please, get the service history of a car before buying it. Most of the auto companies have a central database now so getting the details is not much difficult.

Mods, please move this post if it is inappropriate for this thread.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th December 2018 at 07:32. Reason: External smiley
Ketan T is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 22:58   #997
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 139
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Guys, I am planning to buy Jeep compass 4x4 diesel Limited . I have offer from jeep dealer for a used car. Only 300 km, aug 2018 registered. RC says manufactured in Jan 2018. Price 19.3L. Current registration is in name of an individual. Is this a fair price ?
saurabhb2000 is offline  
Old 5th December 2018, 23:39   #998
Senior - BHPian
 
dailydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA - IND
Posts: 1,075
Thanked: 3,524 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
Is this a fair price ?
The question you should be rather be asking is: Is this a fair deal?

A Jan 2018 manufactured car, registered seven months later; with an odo that shows only 300km? This should raise a lot of red flags. Do tread with extreme caution.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 05:57   #999
Senior - BHPian
 
hserus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,934
Thanked: 6,654 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
This car has one comment from recent service which has got me worried. It is mentioned that Oil Sump has a dent and needs to be replaced. Enquired casually with Service center and cost goes up to 50k for this procedure including consumables. Now I am in a fix - whether to go ahead buying this vehicle and drop it all together.
Drop it, or if it is an older car try to get the sump tinkered, or replaced from a scrapped vehicle.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 08:04   #1000
Senior - BHPian
 
Axe77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,030
Thanked: 2,726 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
... The SA was checking the service history and informed the guy that the car was last serviced at an authorized service centre in 2015 and the odo reading then was 1,40,000kms. Obviously, the second hand car dealer had reduced the kms. The estimate for repairs was over a lakh as the engine required a lot of work. The SA was telling him that always check at authorized service centre for service records when buying an old car.
.
Very true. Incidentally I overheard an exact similar conversation in Triumph service station too. A bike was sold with x claimed kms when it had actually run much more. Not that I donít know this happens but first time I heard of it with an expensive bike.

This should be one of the basic checks indeed to see that the service station records stack up on the kms readings of the car. Even the budget segment cars now are able to facilitate such checks I feel.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 09:19   #1001
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 139
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
The question you should be rather be asking is: Is this a fair deal?

A Jan 2018 manufactured car, registered seven months later; with an odo that shows only 300km? This should raise a lot of red flags. Do tread with extreme caution.
I saw the car, it seems new..it even smells new inside.. dealer says it is 4x4 model and not frequently sold, and so is the gap between January and August. I'll try to see the invoice when the vehicle was sold. Other than that, do we see any red flags ?
saurabhb2000 is offline  
Old 6th December 2018, 10:43   #1002
BHPian
 
Viju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 945
Thanked: 1,970 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
I saw the car, it seems new..it even smells new inside.. dealer says it is 4x4 model and not frequently sold, and so is the gap between January and August. I'll try to see the invoice when the vehicle was sold. Other than that, do we see any red flags ?
(1) Any idea why the car is registered to an individual? Also, why the car was registered at all?

(2) Was it a dealer demo car? If yes, I think it should be registered to the dealer, and not an individual.

(3) What is the cost benefit you get when compared to buying a brand new vehicle? Do remember that if you plan to sell the vehicle in a few years, you will be the second owner. Any potential buyer will definitely use it as a bargaining chip to bring the price down. My point is, try and make sure the benefit you get now will more than cover up the loss at the time of resale.

(4) Please cross-check the manufacturing month from the VIN. There have been several cases of dealers registering cars with forged manufacturing dates.

Good luck with your purchase and ownership!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 10:55   #1003
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 139
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
(1) Any idea why the car is registered to an individual? Also, why the car was registered at all?
It was bought by an individual , registered in his name and he sold it to dealer for onward selling. RC is still in name of individual. I believe this is standard practice when a car is sold to dealers

Quote:
(2) Was it a dealer demo car? If yes, I think it should be registered to the dealer, and not an individual.
Doesn't look like demo car, as otherwise it would have been registered in the name of dealer

Quote:
(3) What is the cost benefit you get when compared to buying a brand new vehicle? Do remember that if you plan to sell the vehicle in a few years, you will be the second owner. Any potential buyer will definitely use it as a bargaining chip to bring the price down. My point is, try and make sure the benefit you get now will more than cover up the loss at the time of resale.
New On road price is Rs 25L while Rs 19.3L is about 23% of it . Does this depreciation look fair or should i be expecting more ? Not sure how much of impact would it be when selling it as second owner.

Quote:
(4) Please cross-check the manufacturing month from the VIN. There have been several cases of dealers registering cars with forged manufacturing dates.
Will do.. thanks
saurabhb2000 is offline  
Old 6th December 2018, 11:02   #1004
BHPian
 
Viju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Posts: 945
Thanked: 1,970 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
It was bought by an individual , registered in his name and he sold it to dealer for onward selling. RC is still in name of individual. I believe this is standard practice when a car is sold to dealers.
Somehow sounds fishy to me. Someone buys a car, uses it for just 3 months / 300 kms, and then sells it back to the dealer. First question I would ask is why. Also, I would want to talk to the person first hand.

20L is a tidy sum (for me at least!), and I wouldn't be comfortable spending it unless I get evidence for each and every detail of why this car is up for re-sale.

As you know, car dealers in our country are not known to be saints. Please be careful moving forward.

Cheers!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 11:26   #1005
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 139
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
(1) Any idea why the car is registered to an individual? Also, why the car was registered at all?

(2) Was it a dealer demo car? If yes, I think it should be registered to the dealer, and not an individual.

(3) What is the cost benefit you get when compared to buying a brand new vehicle? Do remember that if you plan to sell the vehicle in a few years, you will be the second owner. Any potential buyer will definitely use it as a bargaining chip to bring the price down. My point is, try and make sure the benefit you get now will more than cover up the loss at the time of resale.

(4) Please cross-check the manufacturing month from the VIN. There have been several cases of dealers registering cars with forged manufacturing dates.

Good luck with your purchase and ownership!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Somehow sounds fishy to me. Someone buys a car, uses it for just 3 months / 300 kms, and then sells it back to the dealer. First question I would ask is why. Also, I would want to talk to the person first hand.

20L is a tidy sum (for me at least!), and I wouldn't be comfortable spending it unless I get evidence for each and every detail of why this car is up for re-sale.

As you know, car dealers in our country are not known to be saints. Please be careful moving forward.

Cheers!
Sure. thank you . will find out more. However this dealer is a Jeep company dealer that sells new Jeep vehicles as well (not independent dealers)
saurabhb2000 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks