Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2019, 21:47   #1036
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Hello folks!
I've been reading articles on this forum for a long time, since I was a teenager. Have never owned a car myself or in the family. Never had the need for it. But now, I'm in the market for a used, fun to drive and safe car in Bengaluru. And I need some help.

Budget - under ₹600,000.
Body type - Hatchback/ Mid-size Sedan/Compact SUV. Compact sedans are a big no-no for me.
Fuel type - Preferably Petrol, but not averse to diesels (I love the torque-y diesels, but I'm not sure about their future)
Transmission - Manual, Automatic - Torque Converters
Expected ideal fuel efficiency - 10+ KMPL in City
Usage - 40KM round trip commute on weekdays in light to medium Bangalore traffic. Atleast one medium distance (400-600KM) road trip every month. 2000 KMs round trip to hometown once or twice a year.
Must have features - Airbags, ABS, Good aircon, good music system (not an audiophile, but I love my music)
Good to have - Cruise Control - for the really long road trip to Nagpur, or on the amazing highways here down south.

Expectations - Obviously a reliable car. Plan to use it for anywhere between 6 months - 2 years. Fair resale value when selling.

Cars considered - 2012 Honda City V MT, 2011-13 Ford Fiesta Titanium Plus 1.5L TDCi, 2015 or newer Figo 1.5L Titanium TDCi, Elite i20 from any model year.
Any other cars that you could recommend?

I have read the article on how to buy a used car. But could someone please guide me on a few points which I'm uncertain of, being a newbie in the used vehicle market. I couldn't any definite information on them.

1. How do you get a car checked before purchase at the ASCs? Get the owner to drive it to the ASC and accompany them? Would you need an appointment? Or can one simply drive in? How much does it usually cost? Is this something most of you have done?
2. How do I get the service records from the service centre? Call, email, walk-in? Isn't customer privacy involved? Will they simply give the data to me? Do I have to pay the ASC for it?
Old 28th June 2019, 13:53   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
Hello folks!
I've been reading articles on this forum for a long time, since I was a teenager. Have never owned a car myself or in the family. Never had the need for it. But now, I'm in the market for a used, fun to drive and safe car in Bengaluru. And I need some help.
Considering you want to drive 40 km in Bangalore(?) , get an automatic if you can. I would say stretch the budget a bit(say 7-8) and pick up a honda city CVT. should keep you happy

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th June 2019 at 15:20. Reason: quote content trimmed
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 14:49   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
...in the market for a used, fun to drive and safe car in Bengaluru. Budget - under ₹600,000.
This thread (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less) is tailor-made for you.

Quote:
Preferably Petrol
Go for a diesel. Your annual running (around 20k?) is high enough and you're not planning to keep it for long term.

Quote:
Any other cars that you could recommend?
Diesel:
1) Ford Ecosport MT. Safe, fun to drive, decently reliable.

Petrol:
1) Honda City MT/CVT. Supremely reliable. Manual is fun to drive, CVT is convenient but boring.

2) Etios. Quite fun to drive, 4-star NCAP rated and reliable AF

(EDIT: Just realised Bangalore prices might be higher for some of these cars and you'll have to stretch)

Quote:
How do you get a car checked before purchase at the ASCs?
Talk to a dealer closest to the seller. They'll guide you further. Charges are a couple of 1000s (usually less than that) for most mass market cars. It isn't necessary to get the car checked at ASS if you have a trustworthy mechanic with you. What's more valuable than the inspection itself is that you can obtain service records without any fuss when you have the seller with you.

Quote:
How do I get the service records from the service centre?
I prefer to call. Either pretend to be the owner or tell them straight up that you need to know only the dates of last few services and respective odometer readings. Second option seldom works. If you want to get the car inspected, the owner can obtain records directly. Don't pay for service records.

Last edited by self_driven : 28th June 2019 at 14:53.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 18:29   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Considering you want to drive 40 km in Bangalore(?) , get an automatic if you can. I would say stretch the budget a bit(say 7-8) and pick up a honda city CVT. should keep you happy
Thanks Raj! Yes, it would be in Bangalore. Automatic was a must. Ended up finalizing on a Tiago XZA + (Petrol AMT). Decent power. Quite chuckable for city. Decent power for the highway as well. Good Honda Citys (Cities?) were far and few. And usually priced too high for what it was. 6.5L for a 7 year old 70000KM car sounded a lot, when for less than a lakh more, I could get a decent new car.
By the way, I have already been through the page that you shared. Cars suggested in recent posts in that list were either too big or not readily available or much higher priced in Bengaluru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
This thread (ARTICLE: The Best (used) Enthusiast cars for 6 lakh rupees! Or less) is tailor-made for you.

Go for a diesel. Your annual running (around 20k?) is high enough and you're not planning to keep it for long term.

Diesel:
1) Ford Ecosport MT. Safe, fun to drive, decently reliable.

Petrol:
1) Honda City MT/CVT. Supremely reliable. Manual is fun to drive, CVT is convenient but boring.

2) Etios. Quite fun to drive, 4-star NCAP rated and reliable AF

(EDIT: Just realised Bangalore prices might be higher for some of these cars and you'll have to stretch)

Thanks self_driven. No good diesel cars in my budget. Bangalore prices are too high. Petrols should be fine once the newness of a car wears off

Ecosport MT and Etios ruled out due to MT as my primary use will be daily commute. And I learnt my lesson a couple of weeks ago when I was stuck in the infamous Bengaluru traffic. Honda City CVT was a good option. But either the cars I saw were driven too much (75k+ KMs) or too expensive (6.5L-11L!) or too old (2009-2011). 2012-13 at 5L with under 60k KMs would've been a sweet spot, but alas after more than a month of searching, I got nothing. Decided to buy a new updated Tiago XZA+ Petrol instead. Not the most fun. But almost perfect for my use.
pratik1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 20:59   #1040
BHPian

Can someone suggest me some good pre-owned cars I can get for around 10Lakhs?

My requirements
1. Safety
2. Diesel
3. Preferably Automatic, but manual is fine too
4. Decent Performance and efficiency
5. Good aftersales
6. Should be an existing model and not one that may get replaced soon, I want the warranty coverage too
7. Should be reliable
8. No Made for India cars like the TUV300 and the Amaze

I haven't found any promising car that has all this. This is to replace a VW Vento TDI, so I expect this to be an upgrade over the same.
Old 11th July 2019, 10:16   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
6. Should be an existing model and not one that may get replaced soon, I want the warranty coverage too
I haven't found any promising car that has all this. This is to replace a VW Vento TDI, so I expect this to be an upgrade over the same.
After a Vento what you're asking for is a very tall order. But warranty / after sales etc is the usual weak point of VW / Skoda due to dealership issues right?

You might try a Ford Aspire 1.5 automatic. Good planted ride, revv happy automatic. Maybe not as much of an upgrade from your Vento though. All New Fiesta would have been, but that's a long stopped model.

Try to get a used Jetta or Passat maybe?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 10:41   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My requirements
1. Safety
2. Diesel
Ford Ecosport and Hyundai Creta are good cars that will fit your budget. Skoda Octavia would be a perfect upgrade from a Vento but even the Creta will do just fine.

If you want a model which is recent and not likely to be replaced soon, you'll have to settle for newer compact SUVs such as Brezza and Nexon that'll be in the market for a couple more years as compared to Ecosport/Creta. However, Nexon, Ecosport and Brezza will be more of a downgrade from VW Vento in terms of quality and comfort. Unlike Creta, Ecosport comes close in fun-to-drive factor but Creta will be a more suitable upgrade for the overall package on offer.

Look for a Creta. It has light controls and you'll be comfortable with a diesel manual as well. Another good option is to stretch for a used Skoda Octavia
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 18:04   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone suggest me some good pre-owned cars I can get for around 10Lakhs?

Unfortunately, since the segment of sedans has moved up in price, you would most likely end up with the same car, Vento/Rapid DSG. Or if lucky an Octavia/Jetta around 11L, but mostly just out of warranty ones.

Other cars you that come to my mind are Toyota Corolla, or a 4-5year old XUV500 W8(but made in India).

I wouldn't suggest the Creta for used purchase, due to its high resale value.

EDIT: If lucky, a used Elantra 1.6 Crdi Automatic may fall within your budget.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 11th July 2019 at 18:18.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 14:41   #1044
BHPian

Dear Members,

I need your expertise and advise on buying shortlisted Pre Worshiped Hexa XTA 2017 March Model with 22 K on Odo in Bangalore. I am looking to close the deal tomorrow.

The owner is quoting 15 Lacs, My trgt price is 12.5 L, I can stretch a bit only if no additional cost is envisaged in next 6 months.

However, this is my first experience in buying a pre worshipped car, also is my most expensive buy apart from real state. so am real worried before putting this amount.
I also hope to keep the car good for atleast 7 years if not more.

I have been delaying buying a car for myself for last 4 years I cant hold any long.

> What should I be concerned about while going for it - Maintenance cost, extended warranty, AT serviceability, any additional cost that I should factor?
> Any other factors that I should know, be careful of?

Thanks

Manish
Old 19th August 2019, 10:40   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
Dear Members,

I need your expertise and advise on buying shortlisted Pre Worshiped Hexa XTA 2017 March Model with 22 K on Odo in Bangalore. I am looking to close the deal tomorrow.

The owner is quoting 15 Lacs, My trgt price is 12.5 L, I can stretch a bit only if no additional cost is envisaged in next 6 months.
Hi MaNishi - I am in the same boat. I am looking at a 2017 Hexa XTA done 21K KMs here in Delhi. The owner is expecting 14 to 14.5 lacs. However, after the initial discussion he says that he can settle for 12.5 too.

I am, however, looking at 11 lacs(more so after your post since the on-road prices in Bangalore are generally more in Bangalore when compared to Delhi). I will have a look at the car today. If it is in an exceptional condition, I might go till 11.5 lacs.

I think the only immediate expense you might have to take care of is the car service if the last service was done 8 to 10 months back. Since it is a March registered car, the insurance is still some time away.

Good luck!
paddu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 14:00   #1046

Hello bhpians, I need your expert advice:

I am a lawyer in New Delhi and I need to replace my mums ageing Honda City. While the City Vtech (2007) has been a wonderful workhorse and insanely comfortable, its time for an upgrade and also a change. The city has started showing its age with frequent niggles. Electricals are failing and the leather has completely worn now.

I am an environmentally conscious person so I feel that buying a used car is a good way to save some carbon emissions. In the same vein, I've been considering a hybrid car. I am looking at the camry hybrid, exclusively. This is because the market in India has ver few hybrids and also in this segment the camry is the only used hybrid thats available.

I would like to know what are the things to look out for, which generation should I get and any advice on a service station where to get a car looked at for pre-purchase inspection. Our budget is Rs. 20 L. I don't want to push it beyond this, because the sky is the limit.

Any and all suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 8th October 2019, 10:08   #1047
BHPian

Hi folks, I am considering buying a car of which one door (Rear Right Hand Side) has been changed. Can you help me with thoughts on two questions.

1. Is a changed door good enough reason not to go for the car at all.

2. Other than vehicle inspection, including from under the car, is there any other way (online through website or physically visiting some traffic office) to check a vehicle's accident / challan history?

Thank you.
Old 10th November 2019, 00:46   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaNishi View Post
Dear Members,

Manish
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddu View Post
Hi MaNishi - I am in the same boat. I am looking at a 2017 Hexa XTA done 21K KMs here in Delhi. The owner is expecting 14 to 14.5 lacs. However, after the initial discussion he says that he can settle for 12.5 too.
Hi Guys,
Were any of you able to close the deals for the Hexa XTA?
Can you please share your buying and overall thus far. I am looking at a 2 year Hexa XTA as well.

Thanks.
r0nit7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 14:55   #1049
BHPian

Hi there!

I closed it at 13.5 in Blr, it was with additional accessories, fully loaded with chrome inserts, poddle light, additional warranty etc.I am very satisfied with the purchase.

Thanks

Manish
MaNishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 16:43   #1050
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Hello there. I currently own a used 2009 Superb TDI DSG. Mechanically, the car has been running fine (thanks to the time and vitamin-M spent at the A.S.S.) but some or the other thing keeps falling apart. I intend to sell it off next year as my next upgrade is due in 2022 (with a budget of 15-20L). There are four pre-determined targets that I have kept in my mind:

1) post-2013 530d MSport
2) post-2012 X3 30d
3) post-2014 E350 CDI
4) post-2015 Fortuner 4x4 AT

I know that the maintenance would cost a bomb. I am mentally prepared.
However, there are three key points where I seek advice:

1) Since BS-VI will in effect from 1st April 2020, how will it affect the used BS-IV market since the vehicles I have listed are all BS-IV? Can we expect a massive price drop?

2) Does BS-VI diesel work with BS-IV engines? Heard somewhere that there's higher wear and tear in IV due to absence of Sulfur in VI?

3) Toyota is the most reliable on the list. However, I've only heard good things about BMW in terms of reliability vs maintenance cost. Would really appreciate some pointers from BMW owners here

Thank you!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks