Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2021, 14:07   #1186
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_coyote166 View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a pre-owned car for myself with the following constraints:

Total Budget <= 4L . This should include all registration/transfer of ownership costs, cost of the first service after purchase, any mandatory replacements(tires etc) I have to do based on the mileage, etc. Will to stretch this by like 10% if there is some insane option available

Running costs: My usage would be 60% highway and 40% city with a fair bit of ghat roads as well. (I plan on going on a lot of road trips to the mountains). Would prefer the total cost of owning the car to be around 6-8 Rs/Km or lower on an average including maintenance/insurance etc. I would probably drive some 6-10k KMS a year.

Drive experience: Would prefer to have something fun and sturdy like a Polo( haven't driven one but going by the reviews here. It's also confusing that they have 9 engines over the last decade and I can't be picky in the used car market) but I can settle for anything with decent highway manners. Should be easy to drive around in a city but at the same time shouldn't be boring on open roads either.

Don't care much about fuel type (maybe diesel cars are more expensive to maintain? ) or transmission type (doubt I can get an AT for this price range anyway),

I am a new driver and have driven < 500KM in my lifetime till now. This will be my first car. I am also relatively new to the automotive scene, so, I don't know much about judging vehicles. I have already read the threads here on evaluating used cars and things to consider but it would also be nice if people could add car specific advice (if any). I would be taking more experienced friends with me (and probably a mechanic) to evaluate the car but it might get tricky if I have to travel to a different city for the purchase. I am based out of Jaipur at the moment but don't mind making a trip to Delhi or anywhere nearby for the purchase.

I am guessing hatchbacks would make the most sense for me but I am not opposed to the idea of a Sedan as well. I have made a small shortlist with the kind of cars I think would be a good fit for me:

1. Polo ( 2011-12 model 1.2TSi ) ( concerned about low mileage/high maintenance costs though especially in a almost ~10 year old vehicle)
2. Swift (Zxi 2013-14 models)
3. i20 (around 2012 model)
4. Fiesta 1.6s or the Ford Figo diesel (can't find these online anyway )

I am 6'ft tall so some smaller cars may not work for me. I am not a big fan(looks) of Alto/i10/WagonR but willing to consider them if they make sense based on my requirements/get some killer deals.

Please advice me on how to approach this.

PS: I got to know about team-bhp just about a month ago and have been having a great time binging on the various ownership threads, technical stuff and the travelogues. Looking forward to make my own post here with my car soon.
SwiftZXi is the recommendation in below INR 4L range due to the below:
  1. Authorized service center access
  2. Spare parts availability
  3. Roadside service by 3rd party - Accessible in every corner of the country
  4. Decent engine
  5. Mileage

Safety is a concern in this car but being a beginner, driving below 80KMPH on highways can overcome the concern. Once you stock up at least 5000kms, you can upgrade. Utilize this time to know about driving/maintaining a car.

Hope this helps. Thanks
tsr_83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2021, 15:59   #1187

Re: Things to check while buying Used car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr_83 View Post
Folks - sharing inputs from my misses and hits on my journey in buying used car of above 8 years old (cars of 2013 and earlier). Minimum car accessories are considered (reverse parking alarm, audio system, fog lamps).

Thanks
Thank you so much for this. Would be using this along with the PDI checklist and the "How to buy a used threads" to make my decision.
Old 16th March 2021, 20:22   #1188
BHPian

I am planning to buy a used car in 2021 spending about 7-8L. It has to be a used buy given the features I am looking for vs. the budget. Ideally I would like to buy it in my company's name. I am unable to find any articles on pros and cons of buying a used car under a company (LLP in my case).

Can any forum members comment on this? Can I buy an individual registered car and then register it in company name? If yes, is there an RTO tax payment that will arise. Would be great to hear from someone who has done this before.
Old 20th March 2021, 23:27   #1189
BHPian

Hi Folks (who dabble in pre-worshipped cars). Is /are there any reliable agency / used car dealer(s) in Bangalore that you have personally dealt with and can vouch for. Am in the market for a 2nd car - a small automatic for city driving with a budget close to 4L and not more than 5L.

The recommendations from members on the forum is to look for well maintained CVTs rather than buy a new AMT. But this begs the question as to where can I buy these used cars from? Hence this post.

There seem to be quite a few like Spinny, Trubil, Gigacars but not sure if they are reliable. Would be good if the agency does all checks, repairs and provides a warranty like TruValue does.

Thanks in advance. Nimz
Old 21st March 2021, 11:29   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
There seem to be quite a few like Spinny, Trubil, Gigacars but not sure if they are reliable. Would be good if the agency does all checks, repairs and provides a warranty like TruValue does.

Thanks in advance. Nimz
Spinny seems to be OK. They do checks on a car's service history along with the usual ones for structural damage etc. They seem to be quite open to getting a car checked by the ASS too. But they seem to be inflexible in any sort of negotiation even for wear and tear items like the end of life tyres.

Truebil seems to have gone down with its inventory being a mere shadow from a few years back. Gigacars is a new player (I have started seeing their ads less than a few weeks back).

One other option is Cars24 who now seem to show only the cars that they have purchased on their website (previously they did have thousands of inspected cars from owners listed on their website).
Old 22nd March 2021, 02:36   #1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
I am planning to buy a used car in 2021 spending about 7-8L. It has to be a used buy given the features I am looking for vs. the budget. Ideally I would like to buy it in my company's name. I am unable to find any articles on pros and cons of buying a used car under a company (LLP in my case).

Can any forum members comment on this? Can I buy an individual registered car and then register it in company name? If yes, is there an RTO tax payment that will arise. Would be great to hear from someone who has done this before.
Hi there,

I recently bought from an individual a pre-loved Toyota Innova Crysta in my company's name. My company is a Pvt Ltd company and not an LLP. So in case there are some clauses of the law that are applicable based on the type of company, I am not aware of those.

1. I am not aware of any cons of purchasing a second hand car in a company's name unless some of the things that I mention later in my response can be considered a downside.

2. Advantages, as far I have been told are i. You can show the amount spent on the car as depreciation for the next few (I think 3) years (which is a benefit even with purchasing a new car) ii. You can show the interest on the loan taken (if taken) as part of the company expenses iii. Expenses incurred on the car e.g. driver, fuel, maintenance can be shown as company expenses thus reducing the company's tax liability. Of course one should be prudent here and on the fair side of the law.

3. When I purchased the car, I realized that the bank branch from which I took the loan had no previous experience of financing a pre-loved car. So basically they learnt along the way causing a lot of delay and back and forths in the loan process

4. The procedure related to the transfer of ownership of the vehicle in RTA records and issuance of a new RC card was done by an agent working with the bank branch. Of course, I had to pay the agent directly. Typically, the seller is not required to be present at the RTA for the procedure but in my case, at the last moment the agent said that I will need to get the seller because of the high cases of theft of cars belonging to the class (7 seater and above). The agent gave me an option of paying an additional amount to try to get this sorted but I refused. Finally they got it done without the extra amount and without needing the seller. I do not know if this whole thing was created by the agent to draw more money or was it really something from the RTA

5. Try to get the RTA transfer done ASAP

6. Get in touch with the insurance company which has issued the car insurance to get the insurance transferred in the company's name. A certain amount may need to be paid to the insurance company for this. If you can apply for the insurance transfer within 14 days of sale, no physical inspection of the vehicle is required (at least this was the rule with Tata AIG). Else you will need to get an inspection done.

Hope this helps.
aishmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:05   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishmishra View Post
Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for such a detailed answer! This clarifies a lot of things.

May I just ask if the seller was an individual or company and if it was an individual then was there any extra tax to be paid at the time of RC transfer?
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:44   #1193

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post

May I just ask if the seller was an individual or company and if it was an individual then was there any extra tax to be paid at the time of RC transfer?
I purchased it from an individual. I am look forward to writing about the entire 'journey' of purchasing the car once I am able to get down to it.
aishmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:39   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Spinny seems to be OK. They do checks on a car's service history along with the usual ones for structural damage etc. They seem to be quite open to getting a car checked by the ASS too. But they seem to be inflexible in any sort of negotiation even for wear and tear items like the end of life tyres.

Truebil seems to have gone down with its inventory being a mere shadow from a few years back. Gigacars is a new player (I have started seeing their ads less than a few weeks back).

One other option is Cars24 who now seem to show only the cars that they have purchased on their website (previously they did have thousands of inspected cars from owners listed on their website).
Thanks Jithin.. Anyone used Wheelswisdom to buy an used car. They claim they will provide full selection, inspection and valuation related services for a fixed fee.

https://www.wheelswisdom.com/product...ation-package/
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:28   #1195
Senior - BHPian

Dear Experts, how easy or how difficult is it to buy an used car from a different state. I am looking at a particular car in Noida but I am based in Kolkata.

What are the procedures that I need to take care of and how much time do you think it will take for me to go down and obtain the NOC, etc. ?

Also, I am looking at a substantial registration fee right given that it will be a new registration in West Bengal?

Sorry for the noob questions but this will be my first venture into used cars.
Old 26th March 2021, 19:15   #1196
BHPian

I'm not sure where to post this query. Moderators please move it to a different thread if this doesn't belong here.

Basically this is about the liability that stays with the owner whose name is registered in the books of RTO even after selling the car. Let me be more specific. Most of us sell the car as part of an exchange program when we buy a new car. The dealer who buys our car provides documentation to the effect that all liability with regard to the car are now with the dealer when we hand over the car. If the car is in good condition and sells quickly, then all is safe. But when a car with damage or engine issues are sold to the dealer, it takes time for the dealer to sell the car.

While as a seller we can follow up with the dealer on the status of the car, it is well-nigh impossible to be sure.

Now I came across this 2018 SC judgement, which basically says that the owner whose name is in the books of the RTO is liable.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...3F9vxITdO.html

Can the legal experts of the forum shed some light on this? Is the document that we get from the dealer when we hand over the car stating that the liability now is with the dealer useless?
Old 8th April 2021, 12:58   #1197
BHPian

Hey guys! A friend of mine is in the market for a used automatic hatchback. It will be used by him (when he is home) and his mother who is still in the learning phase . This car will be used to travel less than 1000 Kms monthly.

Requirements

• Should be a hatchback
• Should be an automatic
• Under 500K
• Not an AMT
• Affordable maintenance
• Decent fuel economy

Considered Cars

• Honda Brio VX AT : Found a few but feel like they are overpriced (550K for a 2015 VX AT with 25000kms on the ODO)
• Hyundai i10
Old 9th April 2021, 12:18   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Dear Experts, how easy or how difficult is it to buy an used car from a different state. I am looking at a particular car in Noida but I am based in Kolkata.

What are the procedures that I need to take care of and how much time do you think it will take for me to go down and obtain the NOC, etc. ?

Also, I am looking at a substantial registration fee right given that it will be a new registration in West Bengal?
Let me share my experience thus far:

I recently bought a car from Delhi (HR registration). Since I bought from a dealer(It's much safer to get one from an owner but was willing to take the risk), the dealer agreed to take care of everything.

(If I had bought from an owner, from my inquiries, an agent would have charged around 10k to handle all the paperwork.
Additionally, to get a WB number plate, I've had to shell out another 1.5lakhs in my case)

In the delivery note, it clearly states that from so and so time & date, all liability is with the new owner. I have driven down to Kolkata with this delivery note along with the RC, Insurance and a copy of NOC from the previous owner.

The change in ownership is currently in process and I have been promised that the rest of the paperwork would be couriered to me.

Hope this helps and I'll post again once the change in ownership is done or if I run into any trouble.

Last edited by Sandman689 : 9th April 2021 at 12:26. Reason: correcting grammatical mistake
Sandman689 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 08:20   #1199

My friend shortlisted a used diesel honda city for purchase. He did a pdi and the interior condition, tire wear and 53k odo seemed genuine to him. The seller did not have service history but he mentioned it was well maintained and that he recently changed the engine oil in a FNG (citing high labor cost at HASS). My friend called up HASS to verify the last visit (in 2019 for 40k service) and since it matched (around 40k in 2019 and 53k now) so he did not check the full service history. This is when he asked my help to double check the car with a trusted mechanic before taking the plunge. I took the seller's number from him and called up to verify the engine oil used (since diesel hondas should use HASS engine oil) but more than the engine oil used what seemed fishy was that the seller seemed to be in a hurry to close the deal and with a little push he was ready to negotiate further on an already low advertised price of Rs 3.5lac for a 2014 diesel honda city (top model with sunroof and life time tax paid).

At first I suspected the reason might be odo tampering (a common practice at all used car dealers) but it still did not add up as other diesel citys available in the Rs 3.5 - 4.5 lacs range in used car dealers are all S or SV models and without LTT paid. Since I am a honda owner, I contacted my service advisor for complete service records of this car and my suspicion was confirmed when I found out that it had a major accident in the 6th month and the final estimate to Royal Sundaram cited Total Loss. However, what baffled me is that the car still had an active RC despite the fact that the insurance company is supposed to get the RC cancelled from the RTO in case of Total Loss as per MV Act section 55. When I contacted the original owner from the service records he was shocked that how come his car which was supposed to be scrapped in 2015 is up for sale now. He did not share (or remember) the exact details but among the things he did mention was that he was offered a settlement amount (lesser than the IDV) which consisted of scrap value to be paid by scrap dealer and balance insurance money to be paid Royal Sundaram. On top of that the amount which was supposed to be paid to him directly by the scrap dealer was not fully settled. He gave up after some futile efforts to realise the same. He also mentioned that the car had a head on collision and was in a very bad shape with the engine bay severely damaged.

Buying the car was already out of question the moment total loss cropped up but what I gathered was shocking. After a bit of searching I found that this is not a one off case. The insurance company and scrap dealers are hand in glove in this fraudulent practice. Whenever the Insurance Company finds that their payout will be lesser in case the accident car is sold off to a scrap dealer wherein they will need to pay only the balance amount of IDV (or even lesser) they will start convincing the owner to settle for constructive total loss rather than repairing it. However, instead of declaring the vehicle as CTL and cancelling the registration, as mandated in the MV Act, what they are doing here is selling the so called totalled vehicle to a scrap dealer who will do a shoddy job of denting/welding to fix the damaged chassis/engine/body at a fraction of ASS repair estimate and then repaint it and resell the vehicle to gullible buyers using the form 29, 30 collected by the insurance from the owner on the pretext of transferring the scrap to the insurance company. Moreover, even if they cant put it back together they sell the RC data of the totalled car which is then used to legalise/sell a stolen/blacklisted/tax failed car of same make.

Lesson learned: Even before you decide to take your trusted mechanic to check the car, first check the full service history and save yourself the hassle. Only checking the latest service details and the odo during last ASS visit is not enough.

Attaching the service history of total loss and future visits to HASS for a hell lot of problems after the makeshift repair, which we wouldn't have known if we didn't check the full service history.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1-1EUYS5N (1).pdf (18.6 KB, 252 views)
File Type: pdf 1-1G1D3GS (1).pdf (18.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: pdf 1-2KPFEU5 (1).pdf (19.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: pdf 1-4M9NNQK (1).pdf (28.1 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd May 2021 at 07:58. Reason: Owner's details blanked out
Sam.91 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:36   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.91 View Post
Attaching the service history of total loss and future visits to HASS for a hell lot of problems after the makeshift repair, which we wouldn't have known if we didn't check the full service history.
I appreciate that there are friends and fellow forum members like you who save money and impart knowledge on the frankly criminal practices of these used car dealers.

However, can you please hide the address and name of the original customer from the attached service history since it's personally identifiable information.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed