Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On buying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2023, 09:00   #1321
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India

Whenever I wanted to change my car, I attempted to purchase a used one, but unfortunately, I couldn't find the right match. I'm still uncertain about the best approach to finding a reliable dealer. If anyone knows of any reputable dealers in the NCR (National Capital Region), I'd greatly appreciate your recommendations.
mathlesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 13:56   #1322
BHPian

I did the same to get a well loved ADV 390 and boy, the inflation these dealers expect is laughworthy here in Bengaluru. A 2020, 26k run first owner was listed at 3.5, with the owner not expecting anything less than 3.2, when actually it was not worth more than 2.7. He eventually sold it at 2.7 :-P. 2021-22 owners having done 30k expect nearly 3.7, quoting new is 4.5 . Test rides are very difficult to get unless you put down a booking amount and most of the time you will have to rough it out to get it back. NOT a small amount - 5000 or 10000! As OP said many out of showroom purchases like sprocket mods -1 +2 types or just a weared out replacement do not have bills to back it up. A messy cartel of a market. Ultimately, I could not get one and will probably go for the (if launched) VStrom 800 a couple of years later, as single cyliinder is fast becoming an irritant for me because of the vibrations. it looks like it will take a couple of years for the market to settle down from the high.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 26th July 2023 at 13:59.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 14:52   #1323
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
I was on the lookout for a used car recently and did some reading up on the subject to come up with a guide. Sharing it.
Hope this helps!
One of the suggestion is that the wear and tear pattern should be uniform across all parts of the body.

For instance, the door handle may appear new, however, the gear knob, would have experienced a greater degree of wear. This shows the vehicle was widely utilized, or the handle would have been supplanted.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 18:08   #1324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Insurance validity - To me, a car with valid insurance indicates its roadworthiness. The copy of the current insurance reveals valuable clues like its IDV (great for a baseline to start negotiations for non popular models) and the NCB % which may indicate if any claims were made recently. Renewal requires reinspection and no RTO process can happen with a lapsed insurance. In fact, you cannot even do a legal test drive!
A valid insurance, at least 3rd party, is required for name transfer at the RTO.

So what would the procedure be in case one is dealing with a car without a valid insurance? Also, what is the procedure to be followed in to change the name on the insurance policy once RC name transfer is done?
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 20:52   #1325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
A valid insurance, at least 3rd party, is required for name transfer at the RTO.

So what would the procedure be in case one is dealing with a car without a valid insurance? Also, what is the procedure to be followed in to change the name on the insurance policy once RC name transfer is done?
If insurance has only recently lapsed then the seller should not be averse to renewing it before inking the deal. If it has lapsed more than a year back then chances are that the car is neglected. I personally skipped all cases with insurance lapsed a while back.

Re insurance transfer, contact the insurer with the transfer form filled by seller once name has changed on RC. There could an amount payable basis the difference between the seller's and the buyer's NCB
Old 26th July 2023, 21:07   #1326

I was a strong believer of buying second hand cars, given the value they bring on the table, more car for less money.

However there is a massive price inflation in the second hand car market, I think, thanks to the likes of Spinny. It has really made me question whether buying second hand is really worth it vs the risk involved. ( damaged/flooded/meter tampered cars etc )

Also, with E20 compliance/readiness kicking in, does it make sense to buy second hand cars today ? As a second hand car bought today is in all likely hood not an E20 compliant car and would face issues post 2025.
Ambi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:23   #1327
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambi View Post
However there is a massive price inflation in the second hand car market, I think, thanks to the likes of Spinny. It has really made me question whether buying second hand is really worth it vs the risk involved. ( damaged/flooded/meter tampered cars etc )
Indeed, organizations like Spinny, Cars24 have changed the used market. It is as yet worth purchasing from the recycled market, gave one picks the great quality vehicle for the sum to be paid. The chances of tampered, flooded vehicles are more, but ensure to get it checked with the respective dealership/service center.

Quote:
I purchased my Ecosport without insurance, i.e., renewed the protection with the past owner. Moved the ownership to me and afterward the protection. A few owners don't renew in the event that they intend to sell. This is seen all the more now because of higher insurance costs.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:54   #1328
BHPian

Quote:

You may have to renew the insurance in the previous owners' name or he may have to buy it for you as part of the deal. Like you said, it is mandatory for transfer at RTO.

Transfer process is very simple but requires you to contact the relevant Insurance company after the RTO transfer is done. You can share the the transfer acknowledgment or the new RC if you get it soon.

For my recent used car purchase, I visited the office of the insurance company, submitted the transfer form and documents and then a visit by the car inspector was scheduled immediately. Within one week the process was completed and I had the new insurance copy with me. I had to pay the NCB differential for the left over period.
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 12:15   #1329
BHPian

I have found that the cars sold by Spinny, Truebil and Cars24 are really expensive when compared to their original price. I understand that they have to take the dealer commission, maintenance charges, warranty and 1st year free service charges from the customer upfront and show it as freebies later at the time of selling the car but my way of purchasing a reliable used car would be to look for car that is
- Under 5 years of age and which have preferably run around 30 to 35k kms in ODO.
- Non accidental, which can be verified by checking the frame or inside the bonnet and boot for any welding work marks or by checking for any broken plastics components.
- Having a few Scratches and minute dents are normal for a used car which has run for around 5 years but there should not major dents or repair works on the vehicle.
- Having proper insurance with No Claim bonus intact.
- Having No play in steering wheel, starting trouble, black or white exhaust smoke, unusual engine noise, warning lights, suspension noise etc.
- Having no rust all round and under the car body.
- Preferably 1st Owner driven.

We will get much better offer from ads posted in OLX but one should really understand how to inspect the car properly else would land in trouble. Do not fall for Doctor driven or Lawyer driven or Lady driven car based ads as these does not mean that the car is sedately driven or maintained properly.

I have bought a Renault Duster CVT from Ola Cars (now shutdown) and found that buying a used car is very much easier and convenient than to buy a new car. You do not even need to step outside of your home for any process and we are given a warranty of 1 year on Engine, Transmission and Suspension. Its been a trouble free ownership till now.

If you are looking for convenience then I would suggest to go for Spinny but if you enjoy hunting for a better deal then OLX ads posted by genuine owners is the way to go.
DustyWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:48   #1330
BHPian

I am doing PDI of a 115000 km 2018 Tucson 2WD AT Diesel, currently. I have made a rudimentary checklist based on my research.

I am sharing it below, if it helps anyone.

Any suggestions for deletion/additions are welcome. Pl note that these checks are in addition to the periodic service checks.

Checklist
• Check driveshaft boots.
• Check distributor cap, rotor and ignition wiring.
• Check ignition timing.
• Check valve clearance and adjustment

Every Two years / 30,000 km
• Radiator flush & engine coolant change.
• Brake line bleeding and fluid change.
• Power steering fluid change.
• Complete AC service. AC condenser check and repair.

Every 60,000 km
• Check and change timing chain/belt at 100,000 kms.
• Auto gear box oil change after 100,000 kms
• Replace Turbo.
• Change all drive belts.
• Change all hose pipes.
• Checking and Replacement of the alternator.
• Steering rack overhaul.
• Suspension overhaul. Check all suspension-related rubber parts/bushings, Lower Arm, Engine mounts, Rotors, and Pads. Front suspensions are to be replaced. The Suspension bush is to be replaced. (including dampers, bushings, tie-rod ends etc).
• Inspect shockers and steering boots and replace them on a wear & tear basis.
• Replace the water pump, timing belt, idler and tensioner.
• Clean the injectors. Make sure you replace the copper sealing washers at the tip of the injector and clean the valve seats to prevent any occurrence of injector blow-by.
• All 4 brake pads and brake disks are to be checked and changed.

Last edited by skdking : 2nd August 2023 at 13:03.
skdking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 12:57   #1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostf1talent View Post
Well well, what can I say, the situation and the time have gone very worrisome & bad. Many things have happened over this period since my post. For better understanding, I am quoting the issue in a timeline.

I'm in big trouble right now, the I20 was taken back 2 months back stating that the dealer would confront the owner and till date I'm without car nor refund.

After numerous back-and-forth conversations and several visits, the owner of MY CARS, Chennai Mr. Akbar Hussain, acknowledged the issues and agreed to refund 4 Lakhs as part of the initial payment of the total 6.61L. He assured me that the remaining amount would be returned within a week. To my dismay, the situation went from bad to worse when the 4 Lakhs refund check was returned due to a "drawer signature differs" issue.

This entire ordeal has taken a heavy toll on me, both financially and mentally. As it involves my hard-earned savings, the stress and uncertainty have pushed me into a state of significant distress. (My marriage is fixed by last week of October, i have dependent parents, where my father is terminally ill)

I've been trying to communicate with the dealer, but their responsiveness has been sporadic at best, giving lamest of excuses every time. I've ample evidence, including payment receipts, video recordings, audio evidence, and communication logs.

I am turning to this community for advice. Has anyone encountered a situation like this before? What steps can I take to ensure a fair resolution? Are there any legal avenues I should explore to protect my rights as a consumer? Any experienced BHPians in Chennai or vicinity who can help me sort out the issue with this fraudster dealer?

Your insights and guidance would mean the world to me. I appreciate your time and consideration.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th August 2023 at 12:59. Reason: Fixing quote tags, please do a Preview before Submitting post. Thanks.
Old 17th August 2023, 15:41   #1332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambi View Post
Also, with E20 compliance/readiness kicking in, does it make sense to buy second hand cars today ? As a second hand car bought today is in all likely hood not an E20 compliant car and would face issues post 2025.
Wouldn't this reasoning mean that we should even avoid buying new cars now? BS7 is expected in 2025 and there is also talks about E27 being tested by HP. I definitely share your concern about the E20 compliance and risk posed to older BS4 engines, but unfortunately consumer asset/money is being treated with utter disregard due to these policies. It should be in the better interest of Government also to define the path forward for existing vehicles and set up a sensible roadmap for automobile manufacturers. Copying other country programs without consideration of raw materials, stress on industy and customers is insensitive and lacking thought process.
MysticMind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 12:30   #1333
BHPian

A friend of mine was in the market looking for a used Kiger and he found a Kiger from a Renault dealer in Bangalore offering their 2022 Kiger demo car for almost the market rate
The car has done 16k kms and there are just minor scratches around, but the service history shows Front bumper and FR LH headlamp replaced. So he wanted to get the car evaluated from a different workshop in Bangalore .
Can anyone let me know a good place to get the car evaluation done.
I'm currently not in Bangalore and cannot help him with this . Though we normally stay away from demo cars, he said the deal was good to let go considering the second car demand in Bangalore and the car being less than 10 months old
Old 24th September 2023, 14:22   #1334
Geo
BHPian

I drive a 4th Gen City and it is as good as a City can get. I love the drive, but the car is 9 years old now. I have thought of buying a Honda Elevate or a Jeep. Have been checking out these two.

When I am doing this research, an old flame of mine reappeared. Tata Safari has always been a dream car for me, even thought I never bought one. So now I am thinking of buying a Tata Safari (preferably Storm) and doing some modernization.

Has anybody in Bangalore bought and reworked a Tata Safari? Any good service centers of Tata and any reliable SA or technician who can give trustable advice? Would like to hear stories or recommednations from anybody who loves a Tata Safari (Storm).
Old 5th October 2023, 13:33   #1335

Greetings fellow motorheads 😊

I seek your advice to help me make a decision that would stick with me for a few years. I am currently in a dilemma, looking to replace my beloved C200 (2013). I bought it preowned 4 years ago and now want to let it go.

About our usage
- We averaged about 22k Kms per year on this car.
- Passangers are a family of 2 adults and a 7-year-old daughter, sometimes our 3-year-old Beagle as well.
- Mostly self-driven on weekends.
- 1 - 2 road trips per year, earlier this year we did Gurgaon to Darjeeling and back.
- Should be able to carry 2 golf bags, my daughter is getting hooked to it 😊

Here is the puzzle, which car fits the bill given these requirements.
1. Must be a compact German SUV.
2. Petrol 4 cylinder with at least 190 + bhp, 230+ NM of torque.
3. Sunroof, my daughter loves it!
4. Better audio than C200 (C200 has good audio for most genre of music. However, it smoothens metal quite a bit. I loved Q3’s sound quality in this regard.
5. Preferably RWD or AWD
6. Since I reside in Gurgaon, heaven for pre-used automobile in India, I would prefer a pre-used vehicle (1st owner and less than 20k Kms on the Odometer).
7. Budget max 35 Lacs.

Here is what I have seen so far –
- Q3’s but they look dated inside and out and the latest ones are out of my budget. For context, 2019 and above goes for approx. 21 lacs to 24 lacs, 1st owner but approximately 45k kms to 48k kms done. Post facelift approximately 45 Lacs to 50 Lacs.
- BMW X1 20i (sDrive, xline mostly) – Family loves it. 2020/21 models, 1st owner, with less than 20k Kms on the Odometer between 33 lacs to 38 lacs depending on validity of service pack, warranty etc.
The question is, should we just get the BMW and move on or should we look at some more options, if yes, then which ones.

Please note –
- I have had the worst ownership experience with Skoda Superb and would prefer to stay away from Skoda.
- No to diesel and Hyundai, Mahindra and Tata please (no offence)
- Toyota Hycross is not comfortable and Gloster lacks any feel or feedback for the driver.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks