Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/29513-article-how-buy-new-car-india-16.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 599536)
Please buy a second hand car, at the cheapest you can find. A reasonably well clattering M800 / Amby should be available @ around 30K, padminis / fiats at around 15K (in Ekm / Cochin / Aluva). Use it for a couple of months. Make sure that it has good engines, tyres and batteries. When you sell it later, you are unlikely to lose much by way of depreciation. And if you have third insurance on the old car, you can total it, and you would lose only 30K (or less).

Very useful opinion. agree:

My viewpoint is exactly the same. Rather I would suggest - new driver shall buy Wagon R which has very good drivability in city. Tall stance make driver more confident for driving cars. Just make sure its driven less than 50k kms and not more than 10 years old. One can find it good condition wagon R for 1.5 -1.75 lacs. Instead of 2-3 months use it for a year or 2 and then exchange it for new car. Here also depreciation will not be more than 30k

More than that in my opinion it will give a newbie fuss free ownership experience. From my own experience of using Ambassador for at least 4-5 years - Buying ambassador etc. person will have to spend more time in workshops and one might just start hating cars and driving lol:

But one thing for sure - Ambassador is one of the best of car I have driven/owned. Still gives me goose-bums mesmerizing it

Guys I need your expert advice.

I am getting a "brand new" Volvo S60 Cross Country from the dealer. The double quotes are because it is in fact their test drive car and has about 7,000 kms on the odo. I drove the car and it seems good. There are a couple of scratches on the car which the sales person said that he'll get fixed. After that the rear left tyre mud guard has a couple of very visible scratches which he said that he cannot get fixed. It is a plastic/fibre part and cannot be fixed but will have to be replaced which he cannot.

The ex-showroom cost of the car is 42.5 and the on-road price in Thane is 53. However since it's the test drive car and has been used a bit I am getting it at 38 all-inclusive plus another ~50K of TCS which I can claim back from the tax authorities later (that's what's been told to me). The car is currently having a temp number and not yet registered and I will be the first owner of the car.

Do you think that this is a good deal. I am not too sure about it since, I can get a proper brand new A4 Audi top end technology version of last year (with less than 200 Kms on the odo) for 40L from the Audi dealership in Thane as they have a few cars left over from last year which they were unable to sell before the new one was launched a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to your opinions and thoughts. Also I have tried negotiating but the dealer is not yielding on the 38L price. I am thinking of giving him a last and final offer from my side and leaving it at that. Any thoughts on what that should be.

If nothing works out, I'll just go for a Skoda Superb L&K without any hassles.

Avoid test cars. If you go get a fully loaded car one segment lower - Skoda / VW / Honda / Toyota then you got a very good deal compared to a test car, or a 2015 model which has been lying around in the dealer's yard for ages (and hence likely to have been used for test rides, personal travel of the dealership manager and what not).

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but I wasn't sure if I wanted to start a new thread for this query. When one has two cars in the family, does the law allow the family members to drive each others cars legally? We are planning on getting a new car and still not sure about the current one. I don't plan on spending the additional 2% tax on a second car (<10 lakh ex-showroom) since it'll technically be a family car though I'll be driving both 90% of the time. I'm not trying to exploit any loopholes here but am sure what the repercussions of driving a car on my dad or mom's name are. Can anyone help?

You will need them handy to process paperwork on any insurance claims, renewal of insurance and warranty etc.

And then cops if they stop you for whatever reason might ask you whose car you are driving if your name differs significantly from your father's name (no shared surname etc).

Quote:

Originally Posted by komalthecoolk (Post 4072395)
Can anyone help?

I got pulled over by a cop once night during a routine DnD check. When I produced the documents for verification, the RC had my dad's full name on it and my DL had my dad's name below (son of Mr....). I dont think there is any problem with you driving your parent's car as long as there is no pending cases against it. Just carry enough documentation.

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right post for this query.
I wanted to book a Hyundai Creta Auto with Shreenath Hyundai in Chembur/Ghtatkopar Mumbai.
I'm a bit worried as this is my first car purchase from them. Has anybody had any bad or negative experience with them that I should look out for?
Any pointers would be much appreciated, thanks.
sachin

Folks - Honda is offering cash discounts for the 2015 models. What are the disadvantages of buying a 2015 manufactured car?

Since they will be in the garage/under the sun, idle for an year or so; i assume the rubber parts and paint might have gone wrong. And not sure what all can go wrong.

So, is it worth buying a year old car with 50k discount?

Look at the date of manufacture for the car

The discount is because of the loss in resale value is all. If you keep the car for 7 to 10 years that becomes less of an issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdmanju (Post 4085396)
Folks - Honda is offering cash discounts for the 2015 models. What are the disadvantages of buying a 2015 manufactured car?

Since they will be in the garage/under the sun, idle for an year or so; i assume the rubber parts and paint might have gone wrong. And not sure what all can go wrong.

So, is it worth buying a year old car with 50k discount?

This thread could be of help to you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ng-date-2.html

KK

@KK_HakunaMatata - Wow., this is a great thread and thanks for sharing. So, its always better to spend little extra money and buy a car which is manufactured as recently as possible. Again., new car dealers might trick the consumer by giving a old car, claiming as a new car. Pre-delivery inspection is the key here :)

I do have a query regarding purchase of a New Car. Im planning to upgrade from my Scorpio SLX (2007) to XUV 500 W8 or W10 (Not decided) AWD. Since its already Nov, I want to buy a 2017 model XUV. When I checked with the dealer, they said the plat would be closed for a month from Mid Dec till Mid Jan. After that the new dyes would be made(showing 2017). So the delivery of the car would happen only by Mar 2017.

My query whether I should wait till then. Now the dealer is offering discounts worth Rs 40,000. There may not be any discounts in Mar 2017. I intend to keep the car for atleast 5 years. Not planning to change in couple of years.

Can someone advice me what I should be doing? I discussed with few people and got mixed responses. Since there are Veterans and Real Experts in four wheelers here, I thought this is the best place to get a clear picture.

When you keep a vehicle for 5++ years - ideally 10 years like you kept your existing vehicle - the difference between just the previous and the next year's models is not much in terms of the sale price.

You get decent initial discounts by buying a 2016 car this late in the year, but just check the car's VIN to make sure its not been sitting around several months in the dealer's stockyards else it will be used as a demo car, tow vehicle, personal ride for the staffers etc before it is slightly spruced up and sold to you.

Unless the upcoming 2017 version has any feature that you particularly want, it won't make any difference - especially if there is just cosmetic facelifts here and there.

Dear Team BHP,

I am planning to buy Thar but I am completely in a confused state regarding its version.
I am from those 90% of the Thar customers to which the off road capability of Thar is more than enough.
1) Current Generation Thar sales end by 2017
2) Third Generation Thar is about to be launched by 2018
The info I got from the various internet sources is that the next generation Thar would be having ABS and Airbags as standard.

current version Thar CRDe - 2.5L 4 Cylinder (mileage around 10kmpl)
2018 Thar - 1.4L 3 Cylinder ( I guess mileage will be more than the current version)

I read that is will be build on TUV300 platform.
I don't know when it will be launched i.e. by mid 2018 or end 2018
Should I have to wait for 2018 Version of Thar or go for the Behram Dhabar Sir's version.
I don't even know the price range of the upcoming Thar.
Please enlighten me to take a decision
1) Go with the current version Thar.
2) Wait until the next generation Thar to get launched.

I am satisfied with the reviews about the engine of current version Thar and happy for it. Thar has small niggles with respect to its breaks, oil leakage, water leakage through canopy, the sound of canopy on high speeds, IFS alignment and few more that we came across this forum.

I don't know about 2018 Thar and will all (at least few) problems about the current version Thar that were discussed in our forum be resolved in the upcoming model.
Is the upcoming Thar engine is much refined than the current Thar CRDe engine.

Wait for 2018 Thar or move on with current Thar CRDe.

I Wish Behram Dhabar sir was here to share his views.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikkyonwheels (Post 4094691)
Dear Team BHP,

I am planning to buy Thar but I am completely in a confused state regarding its version.
I am from those 90% of the Thar customers to which the off road capability of Thar is more than enough.
1) Current Generation Thar sales end by 2017
2) Third Generation Thar is about to be launched by 2018
The info I got from the various internet sources is that the next generation Thar would be having ABS and Airbags as standard.

current version Thar CRDe - 2.5L 4 Cylinder (mileage around 10kmpl)
2018 Thar - 1.4L 3 Cylinder ( I guess mileage will be more than the current version)

I read that it will be build on TUV300 platform.
I don't know when it will be launched i.e. by mid 2018 or end 2018
Should I have to wait for 2018 Version of Thar or go for the Behram Dhabar Sir's version.
I don't even know the price range of the upcoming Thar.
Please enlighten me to take a decision
1) Go with the current version Thar.
2) Wait until the next generation Thar to get launched.

I am satisfied with the reviews about the engine of current version Thar and happy for it. Thar has small niggles with respect to its breaks, oil leakage, water leakage through canopy, the sound of canopy on high speeds, IFS alignment and few more that we came across this forum.

I don't know about 2018 Thar and will all (at least few) problems about the current version Thar that were discussed in our forum be resolved in the upcoming model.
Is the upcoming Thar engine is much refined than the current Thar CRDe engine.

Wait for 2018 Thar or move on with current Thar CRDe.

I Wish Behram Dhabar sir was here to share his views.

Dear Moderator,

Kindly do the needful. Please start a new thread about Thar 2018 or add my post in the appropriate thread.
I can't start new thread as I don't have enough rights/permissions to create one. I don't know which thread is appropriate for this post. I am eager to know more about Thar 2018 so that I can make a decision to go either with the current version Thar or wait for Thar 2018.

Regards,
sikkyonwheels