Team-BHP - ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On buying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: How to buy a *NEW* car in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying-car/29513-article-how-buy-new-car-india-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellmet (Post 1875112)
Weird, but the insurance quoted by the dealer is lesser than what ICICI Lombard site quotes by about 300 Rs.

Which is the insurance co. quoted by dealer ? Quotes vary from one co. to other.

@GTO: I was thinking over these points for buying a new car, and about the experiences of being handed a "lemon" and then having to fight with the dealer/manufacturer for warranty repairs, replacement of vehicle and many other issues.

One point that emerges from all this is: Should we also advise new car buyers to take a subscription to one (or maybe two or three) auto magazines? There are a few which take up grievances of new car owners with the manufacturers and they have some clout. A 3 year subscription to two or three such magazines would cost under Rs. 10K. With most car owners keeping their vehicles around for 3-5 years and the warranties generally getting over at the same time, it would prove to be some kind of insurance against the eventuality of dealer/manufacturer malpractices. I suggest a three year subscription to three different auto magazines. This way, apart from having three separate forums on which to voice his grievances, the new owner can also get some useful education about the automobile world (not to mention the free gifts on the 3-year subscriptions).

What say?

Honeybee, that's really overdoing it. Lemons are more the exception rather than the rule. Lets emphasize on optimism when buying a new car. It is, after all, amongst the happiest moments for us petrolheads :0

[quote=honeybee;1881163]@GTO: I was thinking over these points for buying a new car, and about the experiences of being handed a "lemon" and then having to fight with the dealer/manufacturer for warranty repairs, replacement of vehicle and many other issues.

Your own driving experience in your car will teach you more than the 10k subscription magazines will teach. Of course I do read auto magazines in service centers and occasionally buy, when there is a review on a new car. Just to know some thing and they never help much to get out of your problems. Once you write, the earliest reply will come after a month. The best knowledge can be gained in our Team BHP.

Hi friends,
Quick advice reqd. I presently own a Skoda RS and completed a very happy 5yrs.
Thinking of a new car, I have zeroed in on BMW and shortlisted 320d highline or 330i.
My usage is around 1000 km per month. My inclination is towards 330i considering the performance. Whats your advice and does 330i run only on 97 Octane?
thanks & rgds

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhsan (Post 2048375)
Thinking of a new car, I have zeroed in on BMW and shortlisted 320d highline or 330i.

Neither. We drove the 330i (Link to full review) and ended up unimpressed. The 3 series feels long in the tooth now and is due for replacement soon.

What I can recommend to you is the Audi 3.0 TDI. You already have a fast petrol in the house, try a torquey diesel now. It will blow you away. Stunning engine performance, AWD grip, diesel practicality and more interior space (than the 3).

I booked a Toyota Innova earlier this month. The dealer checked and said that they can deliver the color/variant I want by the 10th of next month (October). However, they can only confirm at the end of this month. Since I am in a hurry to get the car, the dealer also said that I should get my finances ready in case a car pops up sooner. The loan was approved (HDFC) this week. Immediately, the loan agent has started pushing me to get the paperwork from the dealer done (Form 20, and other hypothecation related documents) so that the loan can be disbursed right away. When asked why the hurry, he gave me some nonsensical/unconvincing reasons. Called the dealer, he confirmed that they only want to be paid shortly before delivery. Now this sounds more in line with what I expected.

A couple of questions:
- Why is the loan guy pushing so hard for an early disbursal? Is this standard practice? I see no point in paying 3-5 weeks of interest (and not having any benefit to it i.e. no car). In effect, I lose about a month time from a 48 month loan.
- Won't the loan remain valid for a month or two? I would prefer not to go through the hassle of re-applying. As of now, I plan to not do anything further with the loan until dealer has to be paid. Am I doing the right thing?

[Whew! A bit long for my first post, don't you think?]

Quote:

Originally Posted by XR4Ti (Post 2074375)
Why is the loan guy pushing so hard for an early disbursal? Is this standard practice? I see no point in paying 3-5 weeks of interest (and not having any benefit to it i.e. no car).

He has to meet his monthly targets :). Tell him to take a hike, the disbursal can wait until its time.

Quote:

Won't the loan remain valid for a month or two?
Sure would. Don't worry about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2075070)
Tell him to take a hike, the disbursal can wait until its time.

I would really like to tell him to take a hike in more than one way. One of which will involve sticking my boot up... :D

The only unpleasant part of buying a car so far has been dealing with these despicable loan agents. These guys misinform, distort and misrepresent things (well, to drop all politeness, they lie!). I wish I had recorded all my phone conversations with this guy (not sure if that is legal or not) so I could take him to task.

I am talking to one of the dealers for Fiesta and he is talking lots of nonsense. He says the registration file needs to go through him and I can take that from him at RTO(or else I need to give him a cash deposit) 'SBI rule' he says and secondly he not ready to allow me to go to Stockyard to choose and PDI the car 'I want' and also is adamant no cash discounts on the car. Time to dump him I guess. Is that true about registration thing?

Any other dealers in Delhi/NCR?

Quote:

Originally Posted by setuniket (Post 2081315)
I am talking to one of the dealers for Fiesta and he is talking lots of nonsense. He says the registration file needs to go through him and I can take that from him at RTO(or else I need to give him a cash deposit) 'SBI rule' he says and secondly he not ready to allow me to go to Stockyard to choose and PDI the car 'I want' and also is adamant no cash discounts on the car. Time to dump him I guess. Is that true about registration thing?

Any other dealers in Delhi/NCR?

As far as I know, if you want to do the registration yourself, he should not object in giving the file to you. I guess he justs wants to make a quick buck. It sure is time to dump him. There are many other dealers in Delhi NCR. Try the others and register the car wherever you want.

Dear friends,

I booked a Tata Safari LX Mountain Green color on September 18th with the only Tata dealer in my town (Hosur, Tamilnadu). While booking itself he had expressed his concern that Mountain Green is not a popular colour so might be difficult to procure (Initially he had bluntly said Mountain Green is no more in production!!!! and on insisting said he'll try)

Yesterday Sept 27th, he called me and said there are no Mountain Greens ready for despatch from the Pune plant right now and asked me if I would choose another color, like Cycus Grey which is close to Mountain Green.
When I asked how long it would take to get a Mountain Green, he didn't give a clear date and said the prices may go up by 20-30K in October if I chose to wait for Mountain Green.

I said I'll think over and get back.

Now Mountain Green has been in my heart for long, and over last night I tried to persuade myself to go for Cycus Grey or Quartz Black... But couldn't, and this morning I have almost made up my mind to just stick to Mountain Green and ask him to get it, whatever be.

Question is, should I just take the dealer's words and choose another color wisely, or stick to Mountain Green? Could it be true that prices may go up in October, or is he just trying to convince me for a easier to get color?

Advice please. I'm sure others have been in this boat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by verditer (Post 2086143)
and said the prices may go up by 20-30K in October if I chose to wait for Mountain Green.

I don't want to fuel a rumour, but car prices may be going up marginally. Steel prices are up and some manufacturers have already announced price hikes:
Tata Steel, JSW Gain After RBS Says Prices May Rise on Surging Farm Demand - Bloomberg
Mahindra vehicles to be dearer by Rs 3000 to Rs 8000 | Rush Lane

I was at a Toyota dealership last Friday, and the sales guy told me that the Innova prices are going up by 1.7% from 01 Oct. Now this is AFTER I had paid for the vehicle (to be delivered later this week). Else, I would have taken it to be a pressure tactic.

I have no specific knowledge of Safari price hikes, but if colour matters to you, I would say wait. No point saving 1-2% and feeling sad every time you look at your baby!

Ok, I checked with the sales guy again whether the price hike he is foreseeing is confirmed or he is guessing, and he said it is 100% confirmed.. I asked him if TML has already served this notice and he said Yes. He said Safari price is going to be hiked by Rs.15,000 or so.

Cycus Grey was my second choice, and I just made up my mind and confirmed to him to bill the Cycus Grey. Adieu to Mountain Green dreams, and Welcome Cycus Grey!

(I had read at other dealers' price list print outs that price at the time of delivery is applicable, and when I asked him about this he said the billing for my safari would happen today itself and so current price is applicable and price at delivery day does not matter. Hope he keeps that word.)

I finally booked my MJD 90BHP Punto from Pandit yesterday. How and when will I receive the VIN number. I have that sales executive give me a tentative number when he confirmed with Fiat (and yes, it end with KNZ = Oct manufactured!! :-)), but I just want some official communication - don't know when can I receive it. Dealer is in a very tentative "we'll have to see" mode, so can't get it from him. Any pointers?